Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/7/2009 6:45:04 AM EDT
A friend of mine was going through the basement of a house he bought and found an old army trunk filled with old army gear.  Included was an old 1911 - seems to be seized up.  The slide wont move and neither will the hammer, trigger or mag release.  The serial number (741xxx) indicates it's from 1941, I think.  What would we recommend he do with it restoration wise - he's looking into what he needs to do legally.  

Is it worth anything?  Is it junk?

Should he soak it in brake cleaner to take it apart.  Can the internal parts be saved and re-used?  I think it's at least gonna need a refinish - there is some surface rust.

I'm interested in any advise or ideas.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing he needs to do is keep his mouth shut.

just sayin'
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Well it's not me.  It really is another guy I know.  He's not a gun guy so he asked me for advice.  I'm ony recently interested in 1911s and got my first SA Loaded this month.  I'm just looking to give him some good advice
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
FITST CHECK IF IT's LOSDED, shine a light down the bore...
Soak it in ED's RED for a week and gently tap it with a plastic head hammer til she opens up.

Do a google if you don't know how to make Ed's Red.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#4]
he could prolly soak it in kroil for a few minutes and open it up??  thats  just what i would do to something rusty, im a newb with 1911s....
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't  refinish.  You will lose a big chunk of any collector value.

You can probably lose a lot of the surface rust just by soaking ans mentioned above and hitting it with a toothbrush afterward.

You gotta post some pics!

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
he's looking into what he needs to do legally

In New Jersey?  Turn it into the local PD or call a lawyer for advice if he wants to keep it.  DO NOT call the local PD for advice.

There are a couple of ways to legally have an unregistered handgun in New Jersey; two that come to mind are if he legally purchased it while he was a resident of another state and subsequently moved to New Jersey, or if it was left to him in a will.  But very few of the non-gun-people LEOs I've talked to (and, disappointingly enough, even some of the avid shooters) realize that.

Good luck,
WhyTanFox

ETA On the technical question:  not a 1911 guy myself, but I would remove the grip panels and soak the gun in Liquid Wrench or some other penetrating oil.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to see it in a week or two I'll take some pics then.

Is this thing worth anything other than being an old run of the mill 1911A1?

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#8]
goto auto parts store get a gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) and soak the pistol, the longer the better.

I'd try to remove the plastic grips  first if possible.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Lawyer, OK I'll tell him to stay away from the local PD until he gets advice.  Gotta call him now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]
As others have said...remove the grip panels (if he can) and let the whole thing sit submersed in oil, kroil, or some other lubricant. That may loosen it up enough to open the sucker up, make sure it's safe, etc.

On the legal side..

Once that's done...if I were you, I would disassemble it, wrap the thing up in some kind of protective coat, stick it all in a tupperwear tub, go to PA, get a safe deposit box, and deposit it.

Then I'd go to the police and get an FOID and find out how to transfer in/register guns that you own that are currently out of state. Once you get it legalized, go back and retrieve it from the deposit box..

Just my opinion

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's a list of New Jersey lawyers familiar with firearms.  Nappen is the go-to guy for big cases but I doubt you'll get him on the phone; I've called both Needleman and Platt with a question regarding inheriting firearms and both responded to my calls within a day or two.

-WhyTanFox

ETA
Quoted:
Then I'd go to the police and get an FOID and find out how to transfer in/register guns that you own that are currently out of state.
You do not need a NJ FID card to have firearms you have legally purchased out of state.  Two caveats: your typical street cop (and most likely his immediate supervisor) often don't realize that, and if the new home owner was never a resident of another state then he'll have a hard time arguing that he legally purchased the pistol.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm going to see it in a week or two I'll take some pics then.

Is this thing worth anything other than being an old run of the mill 1911A1?

For all you know right now..it may be a 1911 mfg by the Singer Sewing Machine Co.  Very rare and worth very big bucks to collectors.  At any rate a vintage WW2 1911 is collectable and worth some bucks.  

Get it out of that commie fukin state.  That piece served our country. It deserves more than to wind up in a state sponsored grinder.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]
It needs to be brought to Alabama for safekeeping.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I talked to the guy.  He didn't call anyone yet.  He's going to talk to his lawyer.  He's pretty laid back so it's going to take him a while to do anything.  He's locked it up for now.

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#15]
oil that beeotch up and hope she'll open up for ya...
Marvel mystery oil has "un ceeezed" many a tools.. from engines to perhaps this 1911
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#16]
That sounds like sufficient justification to move out of that Nazi Commie State. I had to admit that I lived there for a few miserable years.

+1 on the soak in Ed's Red or Marvel Mystery Oil. He may have something really special so don't make it worse by ruining it or turning it in so the Gestapo turn it into man hole covers. Be careful with it as it might be loaded. Make sure he knows not to point it at anything he does not want to see destroyed - like his eye!
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FITST CHECK IF IT's LOSDED, shine a light down the bore...
Soak it in ED's RED for a week and gently tap it with a plastic head hammer til she opens up.

Do a google if you don't know how to make Ed's Red.

Yes- One way to jamb up a 1911 is to have a cartridge go all fuzzy and green due to corision while in the chamber! Slide a pencil down the bore to check for a loaded chamber.

Pull off the grips before soaking it in oil or ED's

You might be surprised. Even a gun that seems jambed into one piece could with a bit of care and a little elbow grease become a good shooter.
In most states there is no need to do anything on the legal side. If the person who winds up with this gun is legal to own a pistol who cares
OOPS- re read and discovered it is Jersey- ignore my last advise.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#18]
sub for pics
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#19]
this is a tag
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

this is a tag

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll TAke Good care of it

Don't let the State Nazi's get it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

just sayin'

Yup what he said
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

just sayin'

Yup what he said

SHHHHH! The ATF is snooping around.

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just sayin'

Yup what he said

The ATF doesn't enforce state firearms laws.  Fail.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#25]
So that's it?  Just soak her, get her working and then shoot her?  No recommendations of things to check?  

How good of a find is it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#26]
PICTURES NEEDED!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So that's it?  Just soak her, get her working and then shoot her?  No recommendations of things to check?  

Of course, before firing, find out what its worth.

How good of a find is it?
check for frame and slide cracks - there may be a REASON it was left in the locker.  IF, after at least a field strip, (and a detail strip is better...) - replaces, at a minimum, the recoil & firing pin springs.  Depending upon wear and corrosion, possibly the hammer (main) and sear springs, and the maazine spring - if nott the whole magazine(but do not throw out the one with it - they can have collector value, and can be rebuilt if the tube is not too far gone. Perform all the safety checks, make sure the recoil lugs on the slide and barrel, and the feet on the bottom of the barrel, are servicable, and that the barrel is not blocked or split anywhere.  If everything looks good, load one round and test fire a few times.  If all is ok, load two rounds for a few, then thre - until you are sure it's not gonna go full auto on you.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#28]
For light surface rust try rubbing the outside down with some 0000 steel wool and 3n1 oil.  It will remove the rust, the rust stain but will not do anything for pitting (if it's pitted) and it will not harm the parkerizing/blueing.

If it were mine and it was unloaded I'd soak it in some type of penetrating oil (several good ones mentioned above) and it the slide was still stuck I'd wack the muzzle end with a soft faced hammer to break it loose.  Then work it back and forth while lubing it with the penetrating oil till I could get it back to the point of removing the slide.

There are online disassembly instructions several places.

Depending on the condition it could be worth $1000 or more to the right person (collectible).

Great find.  Wish I could find something like that.  The only gun I ever found was the remains of an old 1894 Krag rifle in the pig pen behind my in-laws.  Not much left of it when I pulled it out of the muck.  Hard to tell why someone would have buried it out there on that ridge top.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
PICTURES NEEDED!!!

+1!

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For light surface rust try rubbing the outside down with some 0000 steel wool and 3n1 oil.  It will remove the rust, the rust stain but will not do anything for pitting (if it's pitted) and it will not harm the parkerizing/blueing.

If it were mine and it was unloaded I'd soak it in some type of penetrating oil (several good ones mentioned above) and it the slide was still stuck I'd wack the muzzle end with a soft faced hammer to break it loose.  Then work it back and forth while lubing it with the penetrating oil till I could get it back to the point of removing the slide.

Depending on the condition it could be worth $1000 or more to the right person (collectible).

Great find.  Wish I could find something like that.  The only gun I ever found was the remains of an old 1894 Krag rifle in the pig pen behind my in-laws.  Not much left of it when I pulled it out of the muck.  Hard to tell why someone would have buried it out there on that ridge top.

Your family involved in any feuds in the last 100 years? If I found that on my mom's homestead back in Western Kentucky that would be my first thought.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the additional info.  I am going to see it in a week and a half I will take and post pictures.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Tagging in for the pics.
I hope it turns out to be a Remington Rand or a Singer Sewing Machine. Wouldn't that be something!
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm almost sure it's a Colt based on the reported SN and researching it on the web.  SN is I believe 741xxx.  I looked it up and two web site say that is a Colt number from 1941(?)
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just sayin'

Yup what he said

RIght...

The ATF doesn't enforce state firearms laws.  Fail.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#35]
A LIAR, until pics!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#36]
First thing's first... Get out of NJ!

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It needs to be brought to Alabama for safekeeping.

that,
and I often dream of finding a guns that I would not have to register...
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your family involved in any feuds in the last 100 years? If I found that on my mom's homestead back in Western Kentucky that would be my first thought.

Sick minds think alike. my first thought was that if he had dug down some he might of found the Krag owner.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#40]
tag for pics
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#41]
take the safety off.............
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A friend of mine was going through the basement of a house he bought and found an old army trunk filled with old army gear.  Included was an old 1911 - seems to be seized up.  The slide wont move and neither will the hammer, trigger or mag release.  The serial number (741xxx) indicates it's from 1941, I think.  What would we recommend he do with it restoration wise - he's looking into what he needs to do legally.  

Is it worth anything?  Is it junk?

Should he soak it in brake cleaner to take it apart.  Can the internal parts be saved and re-used?  I think it's at least gonna need a refinish - there is some surface rust.

I'm interested in any advise or ideas.

Thanks.

I would reccomend kroil or one of slip 2k's products instead of brake cleaner.  I recently used both for the first time in an armorers course and was very impressed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Already ordered the Kroil
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#44]
so was there a round in the chamber?
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

just sayin'

This
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Thanks for the additional info.  I am going to see it in a week and a half I will take and post pictures.

i do not see any pictures  

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wouldn't  refinish.  You will lose a big chunk of any collector value.

You can probably lose a lot of the surface rust just by soaking ans mentioned above and hitting it with a toothbrush afterward.

You gotta post some pics!

This
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Saw it and took pics last night.  Will try to post tonight or tomorrow at the latest.  Some surface rust.  No hammer or slide movement.  One magazine not loaded into gun.  The original owner was a colonel in the army in WWII.  I gotta check his name it was written on a canvas bag that the gun mag and some .45 rounds were in.  

Scary thing - the guy's wife was pressing him to drop it off at the next police gun amnesty destruction.  That idea is now cancelled.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Saw it and took pics last night.  Will try to post tonight or tomorrow at the latest.  Some surface rust.  No hammer or slide movement.  One magazine not loaded into gun.  The original owner was a colonel in the army in WWII.  I gotta check his name it was written on a canvas bag that the gun mag and some .45 rounds were in.  

Scary thing - the guy's wife was pressing him to drop it off at the next police gun amnesty destruction.  That idea is now cancelled.

Thank god!  I'll never understand why men let people talk them into turning stuff in like this.  

Looking forward to the pics.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top