Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2008 5:02:37 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a full size stainless 1911.  I am considering the Springfield TRP and the Kimber Gold Combat II.  What are you thoughts on which way you would go and why?  What is a good price on the stainless versions of these two guns?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
i own a les baer premier 2, that being said about 4 years ago i purchased a kimber tle for my brothers birthday. when i went up to visit him (lives in AK) i shot the kimber for the first time. granted this isnt the same model but let me say it was every bit as good as the les baer. fit ,finish, accuracy hand in hand with a gun that cost 600 more. if i had to do it over again i would lean toward a kimber.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
trp all the way
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have TRP and I love it.  Dead nuts accurate, has never failed to cycle and eats anything I throw at it.

Dean
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
TRP! The FBI's hostage rescue team chose Springfield for a reason. The TRP employs alot of the same features and specifications as the FBI model.

I wouldnt give mine up for anything!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have TRP and I love it.  Dead nuts accurate, has never failed to cycle and eats anything I throw at it.

Dean

That's pretty much my experience with the TRP. Excellent handgun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a stainless Gold Combat that is just great.  It is probably 9 or 10 years old.  If you are talking new guns, get the Springfield.  Kimber quality is spotty these days.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Another TRP vote.  I do not own a high end Kimber but I do have a TRP and a Kimber Custom II.  The Kimber cannot even compare to the TRP.  The small details in the TRP put it way above the Kimber.  My only complaint about the TRP is that it does not have the "bowtie" machined into the frame.  The fit and finish is perfect and as said earlier, it is very accurate.  This in no way is putting down my Kimber, but the TRP is better.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
TRP.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
2138.00 Gold Combat II™ .45 ACP - that is a LOT of money for a Kimber.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Friends don't let friends buy Kimbers.

Get the Springer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Go with the TRP and never look back. The only complaint I had on mine was the
overly aggressive 20 LPI checkering on the frontstrap.

BTW- I have had it with Kimbers. I still have an older Series I Custom Clasic Kimber
but I'd never buy another.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all of the input.  Now I just need to find some place that actually has a stainless TRP in stock...seems like a lot of distributors are out of them right now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's one at Impact Guns.  Shows it in stock at the moment.  I just got my TRP Operator the other day, I also had a hard time finding one.
Stainless TRP
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the checkering on the TRP is great!  I've actually had other 1911 frontstraps checkered to match it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2008 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like CDNN Sports has them for $1299.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i own a les baer premier 2, that being said about 4 years ago i purchased a kimber tle for my brothers birthday. when i went up to visit him (lives in AK) i shot the kimber for the first time. granted this isnt the same model but let me say it was every bit as good as the les baer. fit ,finish, accuracy hand in hand with a gun that cost 600 more. if i had to do it over again i would lean toward a kimber.  

I hate to use that smiley for you but i have a very nice Kimber Classic Gold Match and - while a great gun! - is not the equal in any way to the Les Baers and other high end 1911s I've hefted and/or shot...
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Another TRP vote.  I do not own a high end Kimber but I do have a TRP and a Kimber Custom II.  The Kimber cannot even compare to the TRP.  The small details in the TRP put it way above the Kimber.  My only complaint about the TRP is that it does not have the "bowtie" machined into the frame.  The fit and finish is perfect and as said earlier, it is very accurate.  This in no way is putting down my Kimber, but the TRP is better.

I just bought a Stainless TRP from a guy on here. I should have it on Sat, I cant wait.. .. whats the bowtie?
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#18]
How about the trp operator tactical with a full rail.  I have a chance to buy it this weekend.  It's that or a p220 carry sao, GSR, or
a Smith & Wesson Gunsite. I'm loosing my mind trying to decide.  I'm just not sure about carrying the full rail inside the waste
band or if the rails will rub/scrub while drawing and the finish damage.  Any pointers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]
TRP - all they way... Kimbers were at one time a great weapon, but today they are lacking in many ways. The Springfield TRP is the way to go - you will not be dissapointed...
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How about the trp operator tactical with a full rail.  I have a chance to buy it this weekend.  It's that or a p220 carry sao, GSR, or
a Smith & Wesson Gunsite. I'm loosing my mind trying to decide.  I'm just not sure about carrying the full rail inside the waste
band or if the rails will rub/scrub while drawing and the finish damage.  Any pointers.

the full rail model is cool, but it is a PITA for take down and weight. get the regular model.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]
thank you
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have a MC Operator and Warrior, to be honest the rail is nice for in the home with a light, you can see what you might have to shoot at.  I really dont care for the adjustable sights on the TRP Operator though.  That said I have a Gold Combat (new model) and I think I liked my older one better but than again I have not shot it much yet either.  I have no experiance with the TRP but I have a Professional which its based on and let me tell you, it fricken ROCKS!!!  I actually like it more than my QCB.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I am looking to buy a full size stainless 1911.  I am considering the Springfield TRP and the Kimber Gold Combat II.  What are you thoughts on which way you would go and why?  What is a good price on the stainless versions of these two guns?

Thanks.

Get both! If you cant then I would look at the TRP or 08 and older GC.  I have a new GC and dont know if I like it as much as my older one I sold, but then again I have only about a 100 rounds through it, but it hasnt malfuncioned yet either. Just not sure on the bushingless barrel, I guess time will tell
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#24]
The TRP is second to none, and there isn't a Kimber made that can touch it.

All of the critical parts on the TRP are hand fit by the gunsmiths at Springfield... some of the best in the business.

Take a look at the innards of my TRP.  Notice the serial number hand etched on the ejector, barrel, slide and extractor.  These parts are fit to each gun.  You don't see this level of detail on Kimbers or other production 1911's outside of semi-customs.

The accuracy in my TRP is nothing short of amazing.  Here are some groups I fired this morning.

Those are 1" center to center from 50ft fired from the standing position.  The gun is far more accurate than I am.

In short, get the TRP if you can find one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a chance to get the trp full rail I'm going to look at a trp without the rail today.  Both guns are nib for under a grand.  I wasn't really looking, however if the deal is right.  Thanks for the input if there is anymore let me know.  Thank you.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have a chance to get the trp full rail I'm going to look at a trp without the rail today.  Both guns are nib for under a grand.  I wasn't really looking, however if the deal is right.  Thanks for the input if there is anymore let me know.  Thank you.  

Personally, the TRP without the rail is what I like, I just care for adjustable sights on a combat/defense/personal protection pistol
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#27]
TRP, hands down. I wouldn't touch a Kimber if it were given to me.

The only thing I do not like about my TRP is the sights. They are great in daylight, and
great at night, but indoors under medium lighting for me they are hard to pick up, but
that is an easy fix and might not be a problem to every shooter.

I am saving up now to get either a railed TRP to go with my no rail TRP, or a
Springfield Loaded MC Operator.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The only thing I do not like about my TRP is the sights. They are great in daylight, and
great at night, but indoors under medium lighting for me they are hard to pick up, but

MC Operator, love mine, and I also have a Springfield Professional, I didnt care for the adjustable sights on the railed TRP
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MC Operator, love mine, and I also have a Springfield Professional, I didnt care for the adjustable sights on the railed TRP

That is what I have been leaning towards. Every time I go to the local gun shop I have
to get the MC Operator out and play with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
+1 on the TRP operator......the half rails are scarce and the full rails are now only special orders from the springfield customs shop or expect to pay a mark up on auction sites...
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate to use that smiley for you but i have a very nice Kimber Classic Gold Match and - while a great gun! - is not the equal in any way to the Les Baers and other high end 1911s I've hefted and/or shot...

+1000
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I've always liked the look of the TRP and wanted a Springfield, never shot one tho. I wonder how it would compare to my Nighthawk Enforcer that I just had built recently.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've always liked the look of the TRP and wanted a Springfield, never shot one tho. I wonder how it would compare to my Nighthawk Enforcer that I just had built recently.

I couldn't answer you that, but my TRP is dead nuts reliable and accurate. For the
money I think it is hard to beat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top