Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2017 6:55:53 PM EDT
Want to give an extended slide release a go.  But, the ones that I've located (Brownells and Midway) are all moulded, thus many of the review at those sites report parts quickly broken in service.

Is there any source for a machined (bar stock) or forged EXTENDED slide stop???

Thanks for any help you can provide.  The guy that beats me every month has the advantage of an extended slide stop on his 1911 and that time is the difference in our scores.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Evolution Gun Works (EGW) and 10-8 Performance.  Wilson Combat's Bullet Proof® Slide Stops are also machined from bar stock.

ETA - The closest thing I see to what you want is Wilson's "Semi Extended Bullet Proof Slide Stop"
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Semi extended Wilson Bulletproof would be my choice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag...as few bullets as the 1911 holds, you would think this item would be more common.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag...as few bullets as the 1911 holds, you would think this item would be more common.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
For those looking for every bit of speed they can get.....

I quit using them when i experienced the anomaly of slide stop bounce.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
it aint the extended slide stop.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
The game we play puts a strong emphasis on the shooter's skill at recharging the pistol.  So, taking the time to release the slide with my off hand and re-acquiring my grip is killing me in local competition.

I, too, am surprised that quality, extended releases are not more common.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nio more rounds than the 1911 hold you would think that the shooter would be able to count the number of rounds he or she had fired and not run the damn gun dry.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?
Because this part would enable you to release the slide using the slide release without changing your grip.  Slingshoting the slide is a very slow/basic technique, taught to the lowest and slowest.  The slide stop/release is the way to go...but the one on the 1911 just isn't as big as it could be.

Alternately, you can do it with your weak hand thumb...I have seen LAV do it this way.  It is strange for me as I grew up on Sigs/Glocks where your dominant hand does the work and your weak hand just inserts the mag.

It's somewhat funny, there is a pic in the big 1911 photo book of a Norweigian? Colt 1911 from back in WW II time frame that had a giant extended slide release for winter ops.  That would sell like hotcakes today...
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because this part would enable you to release the slide using the slide release without changing your grip.  Slingshoting the slide is a very slow/basic technique, taught to the lowest and slowest.  The slide stop/release is the way to go...but the one on the 1911 just isn't as big as it could be.

Alternately, you can do it with your weak hand thumb...I have seen LAV do it this way.  It is strange for me as I grew up on Sigs/Glocks where your dominant hand does the work and your weak hand just inserts the mag.

It's somewhat funny, there is a pic in the big 1911 photo book of a Norweigian? Colt 1911 from back in WW II time frame that had a giant extended slide release for winter ops.  That would sell like hotcakes today...
View Quote
I know it's slow but it works every time. Even with blood, sweat, gloves, or a different gun

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The game we play puts a strong emphasis on the shooter's skill at recharging the pistol.  So, taking the time to release the slide with my off hand and re-acquiring my grip is killing me in local competition.

View Quote
Hit it with your support thumb as you reacquire your grip.  All the cool kids are doing it these days.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hit it with your support thumb as you reacquire your grip.  All the cool kids are doing it these days.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was doing it 10 years ago in IDPA.  It's nice to be a cool kid
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bill Wilson only sells them because people want them, but he does not like them. They offer no real time savings and can cause more malfunctions from the extra mass than they are worth.

Really want to drop your time work on getting into and out of positions (boxes), this can cut seconds off your time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#14]
many years ago Tommy Campbell was working for S&W and was shooting the "super gun" as a fore runner to the larger 45 autos...around 1985 at the Fla State Match he had a slo-mo video of the way the cartridges came up the barrel feed ramp, and a comparison shot of a Bill Wilson pistol that used the traditional frame ramp...IIRC the Wilson gun had had a left side view of the slide stop, and the stop bounced all over the place...and commented the extended stops were worse... I always activated the slide stop with my weak hand..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top