Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2017 12:30:28 AM EDT
So who here has expierence with installing and running one? Was it worth the money?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  Even when supplied from the factory, recoil masters go straight in the trash can.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.  Even when supplied from the factory, recoil masters go straight in the trash can.
View Quote

Bad expierence with one or just answer looking for a problem?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I won't waste the cash then.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The biggest thing for me is that they are a pain in the ass to take apart.  Functionally I don't think they do anything better than a conventional spring of the appropriate weight.  On guns with a bushing I always use a standard spring, GI-type short guide rod, and closed plug.  On bull barreled guns with no bushing I prefer a standard spring and Dawson tool less guide rod.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The biggest thing for me is that they are a pain in the ass to take apart.  Functionally I don't think they do anything better than a conventional spring of the appropriate weight.  On guns with a bushing I always use a standard spring, GI-type short guide rod, and closed plug.  On bull barreled guns with no bushing I prefer a standard spring and Dawson tool less guide rod.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. I've got a plain GI 1911 I'm looking to upgrade and turn it into a backup for my TRP that I run in matches.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#8]
When they first came out they were horribly unreliable.  I think I had three replaced in quick succession in my factory Edge when they broke.

Supposedly STI fixed the problem, but I went with a conventional guide rod and spring and never looked back.  I can't tell any difference in recoil between a conventional setup and the Recoilmaster.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:02:18 AM EDT
[#9]
My STI came with the Recoil Master from the factory, the gun runs absolutely perfectly and feels amazing.  No way I'm changing anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I always take them out.  They tend to break and it's difficult to get STI to sell you replacement springs.

There is nothing they do better than a standard recoil spring setup.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I would replace with a Dawson Tool less guide rod.

the Recoil Master is just junk 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would replace with a Dawson Tool less guide rod.

the Recoil Master is just junk 
View Quote
I'll have to look at those.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to say it gave my gun problems, but it could've been caused by weak ammo, limp wristing, and lack of cleaning/lubrication.

I changed it out for a one piece guide rod and lighter spring. Gun runs a lot better, but it still needs to be cleaned and lubed to run good.
Top Top