Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2017 7:05:15 PM EDT
I'm looking at a Remington R1 for my first 1911, and around the same time I'm looking to apply for my license to carry with the intent to concealed carry. From what I've read about the R1 it seems to be a reliable weapon, but none of them mention the weapon being carried.

After all, I'd imagine that there's a big difference between 'range weekend' reliable and 'lifeline' reliable. This is the exact pistol I'm looking at.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-1911-model-r1-wwalnut-grips-45-acp-96323-885293963238.aspx

Would this pistol be suitable for concealed carry, as far as reliability goes?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Norinco
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You can do much better.   Springer, Colt, Ruger come to mind.  Don't be tempted by the cheap imports either.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Dan Wesson is the best bang for the buck 1911. Awesome quality for around $1000-1500 price range. It's almost as good as the $3000 semi-custom pistols. Springfield makes good 1911's also and can be a little bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Look Springfield or Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
On a budget
RIA

Not
Dan Wesson
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you wear a large-width gunbelt, and carry outside the waistband, you will find carrying a full-size 1911 to be taxing, to say the least.

Remember, the 1911 was conceived over a century ago. For warfighting.

There have been some advancements since then.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you wear a large-width gunbelt, and carry outside the waistband, you will find carrying a full-size 1911 to be taxing, to say the least.

View Quote

This man speaks the truth and you shouldn't just ignore it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not in my experience. I carry OWB, but a full-size is quite comfortable to carry all day long, and provides a lot more peace of mind than a pocket pistol or subcompact.

I've heard good things about R1s (unusual for a Remington product), but do not have personal experience with them and so would not be comfortable recommending one for carry. I can wholeheartedly recommend a full-size RIA gun, however. Mine is simply 100% with factory ammo, and probably 99.7% with ultra-cheap, dirty cast-bullet reloads.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright, I'll look at some other pistols. I suppose I should mention that my budget for a handgun (preferably a 1911) is 650, before the shipping and transfer fee.

And yeah, the 1911 is an old gun, I'll agree, but my reasoning for my preference is because I'm familiar with it's construction, how they're put together, not to mention they fit my hand nicely. And, if i'm honest, I just plain like 'em. Glocks and the like simply don't do anything for me in the looks department.

I'll pick out another 1911 and come back with what I can find.

Thanks for your input

EDIT: Found this RIA....

https://www.impactguns.com/rock-island-armory-1911a1-8rd-duratouch-51420.aspx

Yeah, I know it's on the low end but, I ultimately prefer the GI look. Why buy a gun you know right off the bat you don't like?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually he doesn't.

Any good 1.5" gunbelt makes a 1911 very comfortable to carry.

A Springfield mil spec was my first carry gun. After over 10 years of Glocks, SIG's, Berettas, etc guess what's currently on my hip. A Springfield loaded.

A 1911 is heavy but a good stiff belt and a good holsters makes it more comfortable than a g19.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]
^ Funny you should mention springfield.

Found this one right at the 650 mark.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j0a8yxyy4l00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Ffirearms%2Fhandguns%2Fsemi-auto%2Fmil-spec-parkerized-ca-5in-45-acp-parkerized-7-1rd-prod92657.aspx?avs%7cCartridge_1=AXX_45%2bAuto%2b(ACP)

I find it odd that the description mentions an ambidextrous safety, beavertail, and a delta hammer, but from the photo we're given, it looks very GI, which I prefer anyway.

edit: Found it on the springfield armory website. The photo is correct, description is wrong.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-45-acp/#PB9108L

Starting to like this one a shade more, if only for the standard dovetail cut in the rear, vs the R1's proprietary cut.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
agree.  I carry a 1911 daily.  As i am 5'9" and 175lbs, it conceals way easier than a glock 19 for me.  Belt and holster are the key.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually he doesn't.

A Springfield mil spec was my first carry gun. After over 10 years of Glocks, SIG's, Berettas, etc guess what's currently on my hip. A Springfield loaded.

A 1911 is heavy but a good stiff belt and a good holsters makes it more comfortable than a g19.
agree.  I carry a 1911 daily.  As i am 5'9" and 175lbs, it conceals way easier than a glock 19 for me.  Belt and holster are the key.

I'm 5-11 at 220 and while I'll grab a high capacity 9 with wml for some situations the 1911 makes a good edc
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
^ Funny you should mention springfield.

Found this one right at the 650 mark.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j0a8yxyy4l00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Ffirearms%2Fhandguns%2Fsemi-auto%2Fmil-spec-parkerized-ca-5in-45-acp-parkerized-7-1rd-prod92657.aspx?avs%7cCartridge_1=AXX_45%2bAuto%2b(ACP)

I find it odd that the description mentions an ambidextrous safety, beavertail, and a delta hammer, but from the photo we're given, it looks very GI, which I prefer anyway.
View Quote

The only thing I'd really want is a front night sight
Mil spec

I carried mine through a lot of hairy shit in new haven and Rock island. If you can stretch a little more there is a loaded in the EE for a great price
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Found it at impact for even cheaper :)

http://www.impactguns.com/springfield-armory-mil-spec-1911-a1-45-acp-5in-7rd-parkerized-706397913120-pb9108lca.aspx

Not quite ready to purchase one right now but I figure while I save up, there's no harm in deciding.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Dan Wesson or Colt Commander length.  That's 4.25" with a bushing.
Best of both worlds.  Full size 1911 bottom end.  Slightly shorter barrel makes for easier concealed carry.
I've been carrying the same Colt Lightweight Commander in 45 for 20 years.

http://www.impactguns.com/colt-lw-commander-45acp-blg10-425-098289111050.aspx
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dan Wesson or Colt Commander length.  That's 4.25" with a bushing.
Best of both worlds.  Full size 1911 bottom end.  Slightly shorter barrel makes for easier concealed carry.
I've been carrying the same Colt Lightweight Commander in 45 for 20 years.

http://www.impactguns.com/colt-lw-commander-45acp-blg10-425-098289111050.aspx
View Quote

Thats nice
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Alright, I'll look at some other pistols. I suppose I should mention that my budget for a handgun (preferably a 1911) is 650, before the shipping and transfer fee.

And yeah, the 1911 is an old gun, I'll agree, but my reasoning for my preference is because I'm familiar with it's construction, how they're put together, not to mention they fit my hand nicely. And, if i'm honest, I just plain like 'em. Glocks and the like simply don't do anything for me in the looks department.

I'll pick out another 1911 and come back with what I can find.

Thanks for your input

EDIT: Found this RIA....

https://www.impactguns.com/rock-island-armory-1911a1-8rd-duratouch-51420.aspx

Yeah, I know it's on the low end but, I ultimately prefer the GI look. Why buy a gun you know right off the bat you don't like?
View Quote

full size in your budget

lightweight comander 669
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Beautiful weapons. I'll be favoriting these and doing a bit of soul searching, see which one pulls me in, so to speak.

Thank you all for your advice. As a guy just now seriously getting into the world of firearms (formerly just a windowshopper) it's a huge help.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Beautiful weapons. I'll be favoriting these and doing a bit of soul searching, see which one pulls me in, so to speak.

Thank you all for your advice. As a guy just now seriously getting into the world of firearms (formerly just a windowshopper) it's a huge help.
View Quote

I have the ruger railed model on order right now from grabagun. So i'm not recommending something i wouldn't buy.

IMO you have to double++ your budget to get into a "better" 1911...... as far as i know until you get into the Dan Wesson's everything contains the "hated" mim parts.

I have a 20++ yr old springfield loaded that i'm sure is full of mim that has well over 10k down the pipe it's still runing like a champ.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I will 2nd or 3rd the recommendation for a commander length 1911 as opposed to the full 5" gun. It doesn't make the gun that much more concealable but it definitely makes it more comfortable to carry. I would also recommend looking at the Springfield 4" guns (Range Officer Champion and Champion Operator). Both are 4" bull barrel , aluminum frame guns and are built for carry.

I have an older model of the Champion (Loaded Champion) in stainless. It shoots every bit as well as my full 5" guns and has been exceptionally reliable. I don't carry it anymore due to the weight. A good holster and gunbelt does make 1911 daily carry possible, and I am not knocking anybody who does I found that I prefer the lighter weight of the polymer framed guns. I know the plastic guns have no soul, but in daily CCW they are a tool. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look at the Ruger SR1911.  Nice pistol from a good company, and can be had for $650.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm 6'-0" & 200 lbs, I carry a 5" 1911 for EDC, have for years.  Yes, it "prints" a little, but most people are clueless to their surroundings, much less to what people are wearing.  In Oklahoma, we have open carry, so printing isn't a legal issue with the CCW, altho' I choose to not OC.  As others have said, a good stiff belt and quality holster is the key.  Carry a 1911 in Condition One, the way it was intended to be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Vedder holsters light tuck is what you seek. Someone suggested it on here and so far it's pretty good once you get it adjusted to what you want.

I carry a RIA ultra match .45. I can barely tell it's there besides when I sit down.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Actually he doesn't.

View Quote

You know I love 1911 pistol but lets get real here.  Most people do not train enough to carry a 1911 and be effective, the pistol is heavy to carry for an ALL day everyday  24/7/365 carry, and why carry something that is heavy and low capacity.  I get some of you like to carry a 1911 but guiding someone new to carry life to start with a 1911 is down right bad.  What will end up happening and I have seen it many times he will carry it a day or two get tired of it and not carry daily because it is heavy or to large.  The idea is to get people to carry ALL the time not just some of the time when it is convenient or BBQ day.  So many time people start out biting off more than they can chew and end up not daily carrying.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#27]
A while back I was looking at an R1 enhanced, stainless...awesome looking 1911 (I thought so anyways). LGS sold it before i put together the $$. I still had the bug and wound up buying a SS springfield loaded.   Aside from the wood grips and lack of nightsights I thought it was damn near perfect.  I could shoot it better than any of my other pistols and as far as I know very accurate and not one malfunction as of yet (< 1000 rounds)

So after "breaking it in" I started carrying it, I had  a cheap holster and didnt have a decent belt, Before that I had only carried my Bersa Thunder 380, The 1911 is slimmer and somehow less uncomfortable for me to carry than the 380,  

What they say about a good sturdy belt and a quality holster is 100% spot on, a cheap holster makes it possible for you to carry...but remember throughout the day you do much lore than stand up straight and walk slowly...this is where a good holster comes in handy and the 1911 becomes a less practical gun to carry than lets say some smaller guns, bending over, jogging, running, entering vehicles, sitting down etc...you will definitley notice a 2 pound chunk of steel hanging from your hip.

So go ahead buy what you want, but thses guys here have given you great advice....if you want a big awesome gun get the 1911,

If you want something for CC, it should be as practical, reliable and comfortable as possible
And if you still insist on a 1911 for conceal carry, make sure the gun is good quality, and comfortable to carry, ie watch out for sharp edges, aggressive grips, barell length, bobtail etc
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#28]
My general advice for new CCWers is to start small and work toward larger guns.
The premise has to do with several things.

1) CCW, or more specifically IWB carry requires you to size your pants up a bit from your normal waist size. Most people don't have an extra 2" of room in their non CCW pants so squeezing a holster and firearm in there can be uncomfortable. As pants are replaced, they can be sized up, but who wants to walk around in tight pants all the time or replace their entire wardrobe when they start CCWing?

2) You will find situations where wearing a full sized gun simply does not work. I accept that in most social situations people are oblivious, but in one on one meetings or smaller groups a big ol' 1911 or other full size gun in a tuckable holster will still be noticeable.

Given 1 & 2, there is probably a better than 50% chance that you will not wear your CCW. So, half the time, in spite of your desire, you will be walking around unarmed.

If you go with something diminutive (LCP, P3AT, or similar) you can pretty much carry that gun everywhere. There should never be a reason you would have to leave it at home.
As you work on your CCW wardrobe, buy a larger gun, and good holster, and a good stiff gun belt, and work that into your rotation. Now you are working with two options as opposed to one.

The first gun I tried to CCW was a full sized semi. I bought it with the intent of carrying it everywhere, and found out quickly that I was leaving it at home a good portion of the time for the reasons I pointed out above. I then bought a smaller CCW (Springfield XDs) and carried it the majority of the time, but still had situations where it couldn't be worn. Lastly I bought an LCP, and there is no situation where the LCP can't be made to work.
Had I been smart and bought the LCP first, I would have been armed 100% from the beginning instead of 50%, and slowly working toward 100% over the next couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I carried my Sig 1911 OWB for a couple years.  I still break it out on occasion.  I prefer to carry a full size pistol OWB.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I know you said you favor theGI look but you'd do yourself a favor to make sure you get a dovetailed front sight.
You should really check out the range officer line. Downside is I think the only fixed sight full size has a rail.
I'll sweeten the pot, Springfield is running a Gear Up Promo, 4 mags, holster and mags pouch free. See their website for details.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You know I love 1911 pistol but lets get real here.  Most people do not train enough to carry a 1911 and be effective, the pistol is heavy to carry for an ALL day everyday  24/7/365 carry, and why carry something that is heavy and low capacity.  I get some of you like to carry a 1911 but guiding someone new to carry life to start with a 1911 is down right bad.  What will end up happening and I have seen it many times he will carry it a day or two get tired of it and not carry daily because it is heavy or to large.  The idea is to get people to carry ALL the time not just some of the time when it is convenient or BBQ day.  So many time people start out biting off more than they can chew and end up not daily carrying.
View Quote

I very much appreciate the sentiment looking out for a newbie here, but there's one main reason I've elected a 1911 over say, a Glock or a SIG. Even though both are better than a 1911, at least in capacity, there's one thing the 1911 offers me that no other pistol does. Familiarity. Ever since I knew of it's existence, I've basically obsessed over it's design. Although I've never taken a 1911 apart before, I reasonably know how it ticks. That brings a level of comfort to me, vs say, a Glock where all I know is that it's striker fired. I've got no idea how those go together.

I'm also one of those strange people that doesn't find too many things uncomfortable. I prefer jeans over sweat pants, if that tells you anything

I forget who mentioned having 500 rounds through it before trusting it, and I completely agree. I'll have no problem doing that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#33]
With a Summer Special or a VersaMax you can IWB a 1911 all day long and it won't be an issue. It isn't for me. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I very much appreciate the sentiment looking out for a newbie here, but there's one main reason I've elected a 1911 over say, a Glock or a SIG. Even though both are better than a 1911, at least in capacity, there's one thing the 1911 offers me that no other pistol does. Familiarity. Ever since I knew of it's existence, I've basically obsessed over it's design. Although I've never taken a 1911 apart before, I reasonably know how it ticks. That brings a level of comfort to me, vs say, a Glock where all I know is that it's striker fired. I've got no idea how those go together.

I'm also one of those strange people that doesn't find too many things uncomfortable. I prefer jeans over sweat pants, if that tells you anything

I forget who mentioned having 500 rounds through it before trusting it, and I completely agree. I'll have no problem doing that.
View Quote
I am kind of the same way about jeans of course my jeans are pretty comfortable and I do not wear skinny jeans so they probably helps.  My best piece of advice if you are going down the 1911 carry route do not cheap out on the belt.  Buy a good carry belt that is infinitely adjustable and not tensions by holes.  This is the biggest mistake guys do when they buy carry belts and want to carry a heavy handgun.  I have an Ares Gear Aegis belt and I can change the tension of the belt any time very easily.  It makes carrying something heavy on my hip way more comfortable especially if I have to sit down.  I can loosen it when I sit and tighten when I get up or if I eat to much I can loosen it as well.  I have seen it many times a new carry person starts heavy with a cheap leather belt and within a couple of days they are not carrying because it sags or it is to tight and uncomfortable.  If you are going through with buying a nice expensive 1911 pony up the cash and get a good belt\good holster do not cheap out it will make your life much better and honestly save you money in the long run not having to buy something else.  Buy once Cry once!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the tips. I'm looking into one of those 'ventcore' appendix carry holsters. They look incredibly comfortable, and they seem like a good price, compared to what else I've seen thus far. Haven't decided on a belt quite yet, though. Curious, about how much would a good carry belt run? I'm considering looking at a belt by magpul, and there's two words I never thought I'd say together.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got a 5.11 belt that I use often for IWB with a Crossbreed supertuck. My OWB setup is a Tucker gunleather belt and HF-1 holster, neither of which were cheap, but are second to none in quality. The 5.11 belt was about 40 bucks or so, as I recall.
As has been said previously, don't skimp on a belt or holster. I carried a steel framed commander for 20 years, and recently went to a lightweight commander. It's an unbelievable difference. The belt and holster is key to safe and comfortable carry.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Ruger lite weight commander might be considered.  Little more than stated budget, but lighter weight frame and some desirable features for alloy frame.  Yes I carry a 1911 every day with 2 reloads. In hybrid iwb holster, and suspenders with untucked collared shirt.  Change to officer's size in summer. They are harder to conceal than smaller plastic, but carry at 3 oclock with FBI tilt.

The suspenders are clipped onto belt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've also seen many people miss the target at 25 feet with those convenient, small, light carry guns. I know the average is 3 rounds at 3 yards for self defense situations but I want the capability to deal with the outlayers because needing a gun in our every day life is an outlayer to begin with.

I've seen it vice versa with service sized guns too so it's not an either/or equation but i see it more often with the smaller guns.

A 1911 is not my first recommendation for someone new to CC but this is a 1911 focused question. A g19 is a better size/weight/capacity gun for CC but with a good stiff belt a 1911 can be more comfortable than the lighter g19.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#39]
There is more to it than just the carry aspect with a 1911.

They do like being taken care of, unlike some glock hussy who likes it dirty.

You have to take care of her, keep her clean and lubed.  Replace recoil springs at regular intervals.  Feed her good ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There is more to it than just the carry aspect with a 1911.

They do like being taken care of, unlike some glock hussy who likes it dirty.

You have to take care of her, keep her clean and lubed.  Replace recoil springs at regular intervals.  Feed her good ammo.
View Quote
Absolutely!

Although my Springfields have never balked at steel cased ammo. Good magazines are more important than good ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've also seen many people miss the target at 25 feet with those convenient, small, light carry guns. I know the average is 3 rounds at 3 yards for self defense situations but I want the capability to deal with the outlayers because needing a gun in our every day life is an outlayer to begin with.

I've seen it vice versa with service sized guns too so it's not an either/or equation but i see it more often with the smaller guns.

A 1911 is not my first recommendation for someone new to CC but this is a 1911 focused question. A g19 is a better size/weight/capacity gun for CC but with a good stiff belt a 1911 can be more comfortable than the lighter g19.
View Quote
I agree I have seen it too.  That is more poor training and not being proficient with your carry weapon.  Of course I have seen people who have never actually shot their carry weapon carrying it around.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I carry an RIA Officer model ( 3.x in barrel) in a Fobus paddle. It's heavy, but it's not uncomfortable.
IWB is a nogo for me, just don't like it.

My gun was $400 and has been totally reliable and I am accurate with it.

For more "intimate" settings, I carry a G42 in my pocket..
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not necessarily.

A stiff wide (1.75") belt is necessary whether one carries inside the waistband or outside.  

But since buying my Milt Sparks SS ll i find I'm carrying my full sized 1911 more and more.  Even under nothing more than a tee shirt.  It really is comfortable all day long.  

But at ~$120 with a several week wait most beginners are reluctant to start there.  Can't blame them, I was too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I agree I have seen it too.  That is more poor training and not being proficient with your carry weapon.
View Quote
True but even shooting 2-3 days a week I still have a harder time keeping hits on targets past 15 yards when I'm shooting quickly with subcompacts.

When I'm stressed, sweaty, maybe bloody, running, concerned about my wife, and trying to hit a moving target I want to know I'm capable of making hits.

If someone is truly confident in their subcompact than great .
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got a slight case of OCD when it comes to keeping just about everything I own nice and clean. My carry gun will be no exception. The lint that will no doubt accumulate will drive me nuts until I clean it off.

As far as ammunition goes, neither my AR or my (when I wind up with one) 1911 will ever see a speck of steel cased, only brass. Primarily because I wish to reload, and even if I decide I don't want to reload, I can always recycle the brass for some extra cash.

Thinking about using this stuff: http://sgammo.com/product/45-auto-acp-ammo/500-round-case-loose-pack-45-auto-acp-remington-umc-230-grain-fmj-bulk-pack

As well as a few boxes of this occasionally, if I want to buy ammo locally for cheap: http://www.rkguns.com/geco-45acp-230gr-fmc-50ct.html

PS: That geco brand also sells 5.56 nato for $0.34 per shot.

Curious, has anyone here tried one of those Ventcore holsters? They look incredibly comfortable. From what I've read they seem to be a good product.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

True but even shooting 2-3 days a week I still have a harder time keeping hits on targets past 15 yards when I'm shooting quickly with subcompacts.

When I'm stressed, sweaty, maybe bloody, running, concerned about my wife, and trying to hit a moving target I want to know I'm capable of making hits.

If someone is truly confident in their subcompact than great .
View Quote
My jolly green giant hands dinner plates for hands make shooting sub compact guns hard.  It took me lots of practice and discipline to get to the point that I could shoot small pistols good.  I prefer compact and full size and carry a compact.  One thing I do when I go to the range is simulate stress doing sprints to increase heart rate and shooting after a long day of yard work or gardening when I am at my most exhausted.  It really helps exposing weaknesses and improving on them.  Also when I go to the range I rarely shoot anything less than 200 rounds usually around 300-500.  I also do different exercises and practice draw and timer shooting.  I try not to squander my range time like some do and really get nothing out of a trip.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My jolly green giant hands dinner plates for hands make shooting sub compact guns hard.  It took me lots of practice and discipline to get to the point that I could shoot small pistols good.  I prefer compact and full size and carry a compact.  One thing I do when I go to the range is simulate stress doing sprints to increase heart rate and shooting after a long day of yard work or gardening when I am at my most exhausted.  It really helps exposing weaknesses and improving on them.  Also when I go to the range I rarely shoot anything less than 200 rounds usually around 300-500.  I also do different exercises and practice draw and timer shooting.  I try not to squander my range time like some do and really get nothing out of a trip.
View Quote
I don't have a video of it but a lot of the times I'll climb the rock face you can see here and shoot more targets I have up there, or back down where I came from. I'm usually pretty winded by the end

Assaulting the cliff with battle dog
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't have a video of it but a lot of the times I'll climb the rock face you can see here and shoot more targets I have up there, or back down where I came from. I'm usually pretty winded by the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpcYQ0LfeVc
View Quote
No rock climbing here not even a hill for miles around.  I live in flat land but not far from the beach.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've got a slight case of OCD when it comes to keeping just about everything I own nice and clean. My carry gun will be no exception. The lint that will no doubt accumulate will drive me nuts until I clean it off.

As far as ammunition goes, neither my AR or my (when I wind up with one) 1911 will ever see a speck of steel cased, only brass. Primarily because I wish to reload, and even if I decide I don't want to reload, I can always recycle the brass for some extra cash.

Thinking about using this stuff: http://sgammo.com/product/45-auto-acp-ammo/500-round-case-loose-pack-45-auto-acp-remington-umc-230-grain-fmj-bulk-pack

As well as a few boxes of this occasionally, if I want to buy ammo locally for cheap: http://www.rkguns.com/geco-45acp-230gr-fmc-50ct.html

PS: That geco brand also sells 5.56 nato for $0.34 per shot.

Curious, has anyone here tried one of those Ventcore holsters? They look incredibly comfortable. From what I've read they seem to be a good product.
View Quote
Man you really need to get into reloading for your practice ammo if you are going to shoot any volume at all.

No experience with that particular holster but i don't like the style my brother and one of my ex old ladys had one.  They are comfortable but they take up a lot of space.......... I don't / won't use a holster with clips it has to have loops.   I tried one of alien gears same style because they have loops available it's still a fkn mess imo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top