Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2015 8:07:42 PM EDT
The very first handgun I ever owned was a Springfield Armory 1911 G.I. A friend got me into IPSC and soon that handgun was bastardized with sights, trigger, hammer.... pretty much everything but the slide and frame. I sold it years later and have since owned 4 other 1911s with the current 3 remaining being my Nighthawk GRP Recon, Kimber Warrior, and a Springfield Armory TRP.

But I just sent off an order to the CMP for my M1 Garand. While talking with some friends I started thinking out loud how much fun it would be to run a WWII styled 3-Gun. My pipe dream was short lived as I don't think I can find a 1897 Trench Gun at a price I could justify paying, but a 2 Gun match is in the realm of possibility. The idea of running and gunning a Garand and a G.I. style 1911 with no mag well, base pads, or bells and whistles sounds like a hell of a good time. So when I got home I began my search for a Springer G.I. to bring back. Then I learn that Springfield Armory, in their infinite wisdom, has discontinued the line. The $400.00 1911 of old is now $600.00 and I can't justify that kind of increase for a fun gun.

Any recommendations from the masses? I would like to stay as WWII style true as I can, and don't think ATI does it for me. Was looking at Auto-Ord as they were bought out by Kahr, but still has the Auto Ord name on the slide.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Rock Island GI. Right down to two ever so slightly different shades of finish between the slide and frame and the tiny GI type sights. RIAs are dirt cheap, compared to the rest of the 1911 world, and mine has been utterly reliable. I replaced the original smooth grips with some rosewood double diamond grips and it looks much truer. I also put in a short trigger as I can't stand the long triggers everyone puts in their 1911s. It does have a narrow hammer and flat main spring housing and I would like to change these out to a more period correct wife hammer and arched msh but my local gunsmith retired and it's not so important to send the thing off for these changes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
TISAS
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep an eye out for a deal on a Norinco or go with the Rock Island

As for shotguns, it doesn't have to be an 1897 Winchester. The US also used Ithaca 37s, Remington 31s, Winchester 21s and M12s and Browning Auto 5s.

Sure, the 1897 is cool but have gone crazy expensive. Maybe pick up one of the others or maybe a plain Jane 1897 and do it up to look like the trench version.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The WW II era match sounds fun but I'm drawn to the M-1 Carbine for CQB style matches.   If I used a Garand in a match I'm sure I'd end up with a Garand thumb and probably a bruised shoulder till I learned to slow down.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a Rock Island for my conversion.  Keys Fiber grips (easy to find at gunshows) and arched mainspring housing.  I also changed the sights to the current Colt pattern.  GI sights are not for people over the age of forty.  Still looks reasonably close.  Close enough for me anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
U.S. also used Stevens 620 and 520 shotguns. You could get a trench gun bayonet mount and have fun cheap.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the same boat. Here is a look at some possible answers:

On the left, the Rock Island - The swept back trigger guard can't be fixed, and you end up replacing a lot of parts depending on how close you want.

In the middle in the ATI, which has the look, but is wrong in detail from sights, trigger, MSH, etc.

On the right is a project using a Foster frame and as many GI parts as I can find. Pretty close.

Off the shelf, the Inland is now shipping, and I want to see one up close and personal - from the photos, only the slide serrations are slightly off and not sure about the trigger .

Inland

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the auto ord by kahr and its been flawless . I cleaned the fact oil and lubed it up and 700 rounds down range its flawless never a jam yet that's more than I can say for the 500 round brake in on a 1000 dollar Kimber . This gun has the GI  look to it good to go . for the money.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#9]
DP
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/1911s_zpsytqmp06a.jpg

On the left, the Rock Island - The swept back trigger guard can't be fixed, and you end up replacing a lot of parts depending on how close you want.

In the middle in the ATI, which has the look, but is wrong in detail from sights, trigger, MSH, etc.

On the right is a project using a Foster frame and as many GI parts as I can find. Pretty close.

Off the shelf, the Inland is now shipping, and I want to see one up close and personal - from the photos, only the slide serrations are slightly off and not sure about the trigger .

Inland

View Quote

Just curious where you mean when you say swept back trigger guard on the RIA.  Are you talking about the rear juncture where the trigger guard blends into the frame near the mag release?  If so your RIA looks different than my two RIA frames.  My RIA frames are several years old and look closer to the other two pistols than the picture of the RIA.   My RIA 1911A-1 is at least 10 years old and my second frame I bought off GB stripped and mated to an AA conversion kit.

In the photo the RIA trigger guard appears a little more rounded than the other two pistols.  I guess I haven't been around enough 1911-A1 WW II era pistols where the differences are obvious.  Here are my two Rock Island Armory pistols.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
DP

Just curious where you mean when you say swept back trigger guard on the RIA.  Are you talking about the rear juncture where the trigger guard blends into the frame near the mag release?  If so your RIA looks different than my two RIA frames.  My RIA frames are several years old and look closer to the other two pistols than the picture of the RIA.   My RIA 1911A-1 is at least 10 years old and my second frame I bought off GB stripped and mated to an AA conversion kit.

In the photo the RIA trigger guard appears a little more rounded than the other two pistols.  I guess I haven't been around enough 1911-A1 WW II era pistols where the differences are obvious.  Here are my two Rock Island Armory pistols.

<a href="http://s222.photobucket.com/user/VASCAR2/media/SANY0002.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/VASCAR2/SANY0002.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s222.photobucket.com/user/VASCAR2/media/image_zpsyq3gmydz.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/VASCAR2/image_zpsyq3gmydz.jpeg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
DP
Quoted:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/1911s_zpsytqmp06a.jpg

Inland

<a href="http://s222.photobucket.com/user/VASCAR2/media/SANY0002.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/VASCAR2/SANY0002.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s222.photobucket.com/user/VASCAR2/media/image_zpsyq3gmydz.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/VASCAR2/image_zpsyq3gmydz.jpeg</a>

If you look at the three pistols, the one on the left, look at the front of the trigger guard where it leaves the frame (forward of the the slide release). Compare it to the two others and you'll see what he means.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Loving the idea of WW2 3gun, and an 1897 trench gun is one of those things I'd just grab a beater or otherwise messed with 1897 and add a repro heatshield to do. I'll throw my hat in the ring for the RIA GI 1911. I think I paid $300 for mine used and it was completely reliable, even with my shitty reloads. RIA is my one deviation from the "you get what you pay for" gun field.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Got my RIA in 2001 IIRC. So that would make it a few years older than yours. Good shooter - just off in many details from the 1911A! copy I wanted. At the time, there was the Springfield WW II GI which I should have bought, but it has issues as well.

OTOH, you can't have too many 1911s.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I really love my Norinco 1911A1. They're great guns if you can find them. I have a spare WW2 Colt slide I wanna make into a WW2 1911A1 to go with my 1918 Colt 1911.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#14]
+ one on the norinco. This is a clone built to spec.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Hang in for a while - looks like CMP might be selling 1911s.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:47:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I doubt if even my children will ever see that day and if they do I don't expect the price to be great anyway considering what they have been doing with auctions lately.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
SWEET!!!! weapon  not a fan of the "warning" on the slide though
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I purchased one of the last SA GI's back in late 2011 or 12. I enhanced it with a USGI trigger, thumb safety. mainspring housing and NOS USGI grips. I have seen good condition SA GI's lately for 5 bills. Worth the extra for the forged frame and slide and SA's outstanding customer service.

With some more expensive company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top