Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 6:41:46 PM EDT
Well I finally bit the bullet and took possession of a brand new RIA Tactical Fullsize Duracoat .45. Looks and felt great so I headed off the range this morning. First 2 magazines (using factory magazine) of white box Winchester went flawless other than me shooting low which I think was me not he gun. But on the 3rd magazine I began having stovepipes every 2-3 rounds, switched shooters with no change so wasn't limp wristing. I am really hoping it is something that will work out after shooting it a bit more or just the lower grade ammo I was shooting. Am I just being optimisitc or does anyone have any input otherwise?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Improper extractor tension is my bet.  Easy to check, easy to fix.

http://m1911.org/technic2.htm
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Call RIA/Armscor they will make it right on their dime.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I second Ken. Tune the extractor. Easier to do than sending for warranty and It is a useful skill to learn.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call RIA/Armscor they will make it right on their dime.
View Quote

Yep.  Their customer service is second to none
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Many RIA owners also report changing magazines to something else (like Wilson 47s) fixes many feed problems.  I'd try that before anything else.

(RIA Tactical owner here).
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many RIA owners also report changing magazines to something else (like Wilson 47s) fixes many feed problems.  I'd try that before anything else.

(RIA Tactical owner here).
View Quote

+1 on both checking the extractor, and on RIA magazine quirks.

While my RIA would work fine with the ACT-Mag that it came with, it wouldn't lock back on empty with any other mag at all. All magazines other than the one ACT mag, the followers would ride up past & around the slide stop; so not only did the slide not lock back, it bound up the works when trying to remove the magazine (since the follower was on top of the RIA slide stop instead of under it, and had to be forced down around it to get the magazine out).

I changed out the slide stop, and now it works fine with every magazine I've put in it since; including the ACT-Mag that it came with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
My Tac will run on every mag I've tried.  Not only will it feed empty cases it with turn them into live rounds so I get a endless supply of free ammo. Also if you send it to RIA they will do a reliability tune for free.  So its well worth having them take a look at it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top