Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2010 4:06:36 PM EDT
I just bought an SR9c tonight. Sweet!

Notice anything wrong?

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU! Stress crack in trigger, from a sharp corner through the roll pin hole and all the way to the other side. It's about to fall off. Unfired, I didn't notice it in the gun shop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
cracked trigger?
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
"Notice anything wrong?"~ Yeah, it's a polymer framed gun with Ruger scrolled across the slide.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]

:Runs and checks his HK's................................................ok they're good:
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't come as a surprise IMO
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be pissed.  It's a ruger, which to me means great value, and in general a great gun, don't let the elitists on this site tell you other wise.  send it to ruger they'll make it right and then I'm sure you'll have a great gun!
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I was really jazzed up about getting a SR9 until I held one in my hands....just feels so cheap
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, broken right from the factory. What a POS.

Can I have it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
That sucks. On a positive note, at least it didn't fall apart while using it to fight for your life.

Just for shits and grins I'd take it out and see if it will hold up to some rounds being run through it before sending it in for repairs. Maybe see if Ruger will step up and do a little something extra for your trouble.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just bought an SR9c tonight. Sweet!

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9214/p2030537medium.jpg

Notice anything wrong?

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6384/p2030542medium.jpg

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU! Stress crack in trigger, from a sharp corner through the roll pin hole and all the way to the other side. It's about to fall off. Unfired, I didn't notice it in the gun shop.

Ruger FAIL! OP FAIL!
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#10]
What Ruger is lacking in QC,their CS almost makes up for!
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I would bet that's from too much dry firing at the shop, possibly without the magazine in. Too much stress on the trigger from the mag disconnect holding it forward.

Either way, Ruger will should fix it. They're good about that stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 5:46:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I would bet that's from too much dry firing at the shop, possibly without the magazine in. Too much stress on the trigger from the mag disconnect holding it forward.

Either way, Ruger will should fix it. They're good about that stuff.

There's a lot of polymer pistols out there, and I've never heard of one that has failed in this way.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2010 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Ruger is sending a UPS label so I can mail it back.

I don't think it came from dry firing. That would hurt the striker, not a trigger. I also don't think it would fail to function as there is another half of the trigger that hasn't broken off yet. I think this was just a manufacturing defect. The plastic has a very sharp corner (a big no no) and then the guy putting it together forced the roll pin in too hard. QC should have caught it. The gun shop should have caught it. I should have caught it. Oh well, Ruger appears to be making it better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's a lot of polymer pistols out there, and I've never heard of one that has failed in this way.  

The magazine disconnect on my SR9 prevented the trigger from moving backward with no magazine. If you dry fire with no magazine, the trigger is extremely stiff and heavy. So, dry firing with no magazine puts additional stress on the entire trigger assembly.

It's a known issue that dry firing an SR9 with no magazine will damage the trigger assembly, and ruin the trigger pull (even worse than factory). I don't think a stress crack from dry firing with no magazine is too far out there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I hope you get it fixed up quickly
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Thats not how the mag disconnect works on my SR9c. Without a mag in, there is a sear block that gets in the way of the striker assembly, blocking it from hitting the primer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thats not how the mag disconnect works on my SR9c. Without a mag in, there is a sear block that gets in the way of the striker assembly, blocking it from hitting the primer.

The sear block prevents the striker from moving back as well, which in turn, stops movement of the trigger from "cocking" and firing the striker.

I sold my SR 9 several months ago, so I don't remember exactly how it functions. But the mag disconnect definitely affects the trigger pull significantly with no magazine in the gun. And it's also confirmed that dry firing with no mag can ruin the trigger assembly on the gun. That's how I came to the conclusion above.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Why not make the gun shop replace it(the gun).
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why not make the gun shop replace it(the gun).

+1

Take it back to the gunstore.

The shops I deal with have a 30 day warranty of their own.  Over and above the manufacturer's warranty.

Link Posted: 2/4/2010 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was considering one of these for my CCW once I get my permit, but IMO a pistol that won't fire without the magazine inserted is a no go for a serious defensive weapon.

Guess I'll go Glock 26 instead.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was considering one of these for my CCW once I get my permit, but IMO a pistol that won't fire without the magazine inserted is a no go for a serious defensive weapon.

It's easily removable. I took mine out when I bought it and put it back before I sold it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn......

Is there a reca........nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#23]
MD is user removable; its an option. I will take mine out when I get it back from Ruger.

They emailed me an overnight UPS label, it will be going back Monday probably.

I put 100 rounds through it tonight and it didn't fall off yet. No malfunctions either. I was really impressed by how the gun performed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top