Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/19/2016 3:17:49 PM EDT
I want a 13 round mag capacity minimum and a light rail. I don't care about frame material, but polymer frames must either have good ergos or have swappable grip pieces.

I'm willing to spend $700.

What do you have? What do you like?  Specific models I can go look would be great.  I'd like to have 3-5 guns in mind before I walk into a LGS.

I'm thinking CZ or Sig, but what else is out there?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Never fired one before but, Beretta Px4? Sub compact holds 13 and I think they are running a +2mag deal right now. Ugly, but I have heard good things about the trigger...
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
P228\M11A1\P229
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never fired one before but, Beretta Px4? Sub compact holds 13 and I think they are running a +2mag deal right now. Ugly, but I have heard good things about the trigger...
View Quote

I forgot all about that one. The compact is 15 rounds.  I'm not a big fan of slide mounted controls, but I'll put it on my list and take a look at it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

P228\M11A1\P229
View Quote

The 229 is on my short list, the other two, from what I can tell, don't have light rails.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
CZ P-01

Not a fan of the PX4 safety

Oh, speaking of CZ the P-07
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
HK P30SK? not sure about mag capacity though, and too lazy to look for it
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
CZ 75D PCR, CZ Rami w/decocker, H&K P30sk v3
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The 229 is on my short list, the other two, from what I can tell, don't have light rails.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

P228\M11A1\P229

229R does...but good luck finding anything other than a used one for $700.  The P250 would be another choice to look at since they never really got a great following and took off.  They use swapable polymer grip frames rather than back straps.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

CZ P-01

View Quote

I had a P07 and had bad luck with it and I doubt I'd try another one, it's too much of a PITA sending them back and I took a beating selling it.  The P01 is already on my list.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
CZ PCR
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had a P07 and had bad luck with it and I doubt I'd try another one, it's too much of a PITA sending them back and I took a beating selling it.  The P01 is already on my list.

View Quote

The P-01 should be your list.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I just watched Hickok45's review of the Storm.  I have to say that I'm unexpectedly interested. I've got a few of the S&W 3rd gen DA/SA pistols and at one point, before I switched to striker fired guns, was pretty good with them.  The price and the double magazine deal make it especially sweet.  I also like that it's made in subcompact, compact and full size.  

I hope they all don't shoot low, because that annoys me as much as it does Hickok45.  I guess I'll need to watch a few more reviews.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're old enough to know better than that. Also, I was not overly thrilled with their CS.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
P226...  Make it fit...  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
P228\M11A1\P229

Their were a few models of the P228 that had rails.  But the P229 comes with a rail in certain models.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It's too bad Canik doesn't have a rail on their compact 9mm guns.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're old enough to know better than that. Also, I was not overly thrilled with their CS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but I really do like my P-01 especialy after a minor CGW tweak to the firing pin & springs.

What issue did you have with their CS?  I haven't had the need to use it.  Genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]
P229/228 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#19]
P99 in 9mm is what you seek.  4" BBL, making this 15 shot pistol technically a compact.  It's the size of a Glock 19 (the compact version of the G17)., but with a decocker (specific model number is P99AS).  Fantastic pistol, by far my favorite of the polymer pistols.  They also make an even more compact version, called the P99C,

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I've really been interested in the compact Beretta 92's.  I don't have any experience with them, but I love my 92A1.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

True, but I really do like my P-01 especialy after a minor CGW tweak to the firing pin & springs.

What issue did you have with their CS?  I haven't had the need to use it.  Genuinely curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's probably archived by now but I had a long thread concerning my issue with my P07.  To make a long story short the slide would lock back before the magazine was empty.

It went on two trips back to the factory and the issue wasn't resolved.

And they were pissed that I posted a help request in the CZ forum here.

After I got it back the second time and the malfunction happened again, I packed it up and took it straight down to the LGS and stupidly traded it in on a VP9.  I love the VP9 but I wanted a DA/SA gun, hence my continued search.

I don't want to turn this into a "why I hate CZ" thread, because I don't hate them.  I got a lemon, that's all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

P99 in 9mm is what you seek.  4" BBL, making this 15 shot pistol technically a compact.  It's the size of a Glock 19 (the compact version of the G17)., but with a decocker (specific model number is P99AS).  Fantastic pistol, by far my favorite of the polymer pistols.  They also make an even more compact version, called the P99C,

http://www.waltherarms.com/wp-content/uploads/p99-left.jpg
View Quote

This looks nice, I'm going to head off now to check out some reviews.  While I'm looking for something basically G19 in size, the G19 itself is a horrible fit for my hand.

Edited:  I watched a couple of reviews and it seems to have a somewhat odd manual of arms.  The "Anti stress" feature in SA mode seems rather odd, as well as the fact that it doesn't appear lefty friendly since it will take two hands to decock, or to cock for a single action shot if it's been decocked.

You say it's your favorite, what do you like so much about it and how do you feel about the two handed operation and the "anti stress" feature?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#23]
sp2022?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
CZ P-01

View Quote

Solid recommendation! The P-01 is what you seek OP. The OEM/stock mags are 14 round capacity. The rubber base plate is nice but I also use 16 round Mec-Gar mags with the extended base plate that makes for a very comfortable 16+1 capacity. The P-01 balances almost perfectly and it feels better in my meaty hands than any other pistol I've ever shot/handled. And that includes my beloved 1911. Couple the P-01 with VZ Diamondback grips and the grip profile is thinner than my Springer 1911 with the stock grips, (proved with my micrometer.) The P-07 is a solid choice too and can be had cheaper and probably is more easily available over the P-01. If you can locate a P-01 easily though it makes the decision between the two pretty easy. Mine is my EDC piece... It's my favorite pistol I've ever owned. You owe it to yourself to try one!

ETA: Sorry to see your experience with CZ's customer service with a prior P-07... CS is the invisible feature of anything you buy but it is a vital component of the product. TI hope you don't have that kind of experience anymore as I would be soured if it were me. Good luck in your search!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

sp2022?
View Quote

I didn't even know about this gun. Wow, look at the prices!  Do the Sig guys hate this pistol?  It looks like PSA had them on sale for $349 a while back and they can still be gotten for around $400.  Is there something wrong with them?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#26]
My m9a1 compact has quickly become my absolute favorite gun. No question. All Ive done is add the d spring and Wilson's extended saftey.

42oz fully loaded with 147 grain hst and a surefire x300u.

Ive had it just over a month and have about 1k rounds through it. Mostly tula but a lot of perfecta too.

I traded a w german p226 for it. Im very happy, best trade ive made.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I didn't even know about this gun. Wow, look at the prices!  Do the Sig guys hate this pistol?  It looks like PSA had them on sale for $349 a while back and they can still be gotten for around $400.  Is there something wrong with them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sp2022?

Nothing at all. Also look at the cz75 compacts that buds has trade ins. $279
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sp2022?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the SP2022. I purchased mine from Top Gun Supply with night sights. The pistol is quite accurate, has a smooth trigger and has different size grip modules. IMO, it is a very good pistol, especially at the price they are currently selling for.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sp2022?

None of the surplus CZs at Bud's, at least that I can see, have a rail, which is a must have on this pistol.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This looks nice, I'm going to head off now to check out some reviews.  While I'm looking for something basically G19 in size, the G19 itself is a horrible fit for my hand.

Edited:  I watched a couple of reviews and it seems to have a somewhat odd manual of arms.  The "Anti stress" feature in SA mode seems rather odd, as well as the fact that it doesn't appear lefty friendly since it will take two hands to decock, or to cock for a single action shot if it's been decocked.

You say it's your favorite, what do you like so much about it and how do you feel about the two handed operation and the "anti stress" feature?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.waltherarms.com/wp-content/uploads/p99-left.jpg

Can't say much about lefties.  The mag release is ambidextrous.  The slide stop is made for a righty, but from I can tell that's never been a problem for lefties in semi-auto's, since they just actuate it with the trigger finger.  It's a bigger slide release than a Glock has, though well recessed so doesn't snag.  As to cocking, once it's decocked, you'll have to work the slide to recock it.  It's striker fired, so that's just how it works.

The trigger and mag release are different.  After a couple outings, I found I like them better than conventional designs (which really, are pretty much 100 years old).  The mag release is faster for me, and doesn't require shifting the gun in my hand to actuate, unlike most.  Same for the slide release.  The trigger is a 2-stage trigger.  The way it works is upon first loading, it will be in single action, but the trigger will be all the way forward, so you will take up a lot of slack at essentially zero weight, and then it will hit a 4lb stop, right before it breaks (the 2nd stage).  All subsequent shots keep the trigger already back, with a shorter first stage pull, and the same 4 lb break.  In this way, you can safely have a lighter trigger pull than a Glock.  I like this, because you can just blow through the trigger in stress, or stop and use that crisp break as a target trigger when shooting for precision.

Hit the decock button on top (which is just cool), and it drops the striker.  Then it goes up to a long 8 lb trigger pull, as you compress the striker spring.  Pretty much like any DA trigger.  Subsequent shots are previously mentioned single action short 2-stage trigger pulls, at about 4 lb.  

I find this system superior to the Glock system, personally.  It allows you to carry the gun in a safer DA mode, but with no safety levers or other stuff to screw up (unlike the Beretta 92 series).  And unlike the Glock (et. al), you don't have a relatively light short trigger, just asking for problems.  Unless you really want to - in which case don't hit the decock button.  I also like the DA/SA mode, because it gives you restrike capability, which I have used a couple times successfully.

Does it matter?  It sure seems to for the LA police department.  Here's the only data I've been able to see on police accidental discharge rates.  This is what happened during their transition from DA revolvers, to M&Ps (which are Glocks - by S&W)

But those guys are all retards!  That will never happen to me!   Heh, OK.

You don't see many P99's because Walther completely botched the product release in the late 90's.  No marketing, and they partnered with S&W, who F'd it up.  They tried .40 cal, which it wasn't made for.  They didn't have any 15 round mags available (Clinton).  And it was expensive (Germany).  Law Enforcement got issued crappy S&W made versions, in .40 cal - so it had terrible field experiences.   Get a German 9mm Walther P99AS (which they all are), and it's an amazing abuse prone gun. I recently had a friend test fire it - he bought one that weekend and is selling off most of his other 9mm pistols now.  

What's funny is so many people are gaga over the PPQ now.  Which is a P99, without the decock button.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Agree totally.

The P99 AS, and the P99cAS have become my "go to" handguns.

The "c" compact has a shorter barrel and is standard with 10 round mags, but with the use of a factory mag sleeve, accepts the standard 15 round and the +2 17 round mag from the PPS M1.

My P99 AS

My P99cAS with both the 10 and 15 round mags...

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the SP2022. I purchased mine from Top Gun Supply with night sights. The pistol is quite accurate, has a smooth trigger and has different size grip modules. IMO, it is a very good pistol, especially at the price they are currently selling for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sp2022?

Correct.  A while back you couldn't give these away for $350, then word caught on about how good they really are and BOOM, now they are all selling for north of $400.  Unfortunately for me, I sold mine when they were at a low, with +2 base plates and two holsters with night sights for $375...
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've really been interested in the compact Beretta 92's.  I don't have any experience with them, but I love my 92A1.
View Quote

I have four of them, they all shoot very well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Got to circle back to the beginning of this thread to bump the Berreta PX4.

Softest shooting gun under a full size that I have tried.  Eats everything that will go into the magazine.  Berreta quality.

Don't get turned off by the slide decocker/safety.  The DA action is good enough you do NOT have to worry about ND's when holstered.  The common practice is to decock/safety, holster and then take the safety off.  100% confident with it.  Very good trigger overall. DA is long but smooth and SA is as good as a striker in my opinion.  Did I mention the recoil is very mild?  

Yeah, its big even for a compact.  But show me a 15+ in anything that isn't!.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just watched Hickok45's review of the Storm.  I have to say that I'm unexpectedly interested. I've got a few of the S&W 3rd gen DA/SA pistols and at one point, before I switched to striker fired guns, was pretty good with them.  The price and the double magazine deal make it especially sweet.  I also like that it's made in subcompact, compact and full size.  

I hope they all don't shoot low, because that annoys me as much as it does Hickok45.  I guess I'll need to watch a few more reviews.
View Quote

Go read Ernest Langdon's thread about the PX-4 over at P-F.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16519-The-PX4-Compact-might-be-my-DA-SA-Glock-19

I just bought one because of the thread, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  $500 out the door.  I almost bought an M11-a1, but I prefer the Beretta safety, the PX4 is easily convertible to G configuration, and they're giving away two magazines when you buy a new one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Beretta 92 Compact.  I love mine.  

Glock 19 size (heavy though), 13 rounds, DA/SA with decocker and safety, light rail, and a tack driver.  I put a D-spring, VZ grips, and a Wilson Combat Low-Profile safety on it...it's a great carry gun now.  

Lots of Beretta parts/mags/accessories out there as well.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm honestly shocked to hear the PX4 love, the little I heard about them in the past was bad.  I'm about 2 pages into the thread at P-F.  Tomorrow I'm going to hit the stores to get a feel for all the guns in this thread I can find a copy of.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'm honestly shocked to hear the PX4 love, the little I heard about them in the past was bad.  I'm about 2 pages into the thread at P-F.  Tomorrow I'm going to hit the stores to get a feel for all the guns in this thread I can find a copy of.
View Quote

I remember reading this thread in the Beretta forum a while back.  I have no idea where it stands on availability, but this discussion made me remember it and tingle my nether regions again.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I remember reading this thread in the Beretta forum a while back.  I have no idea where it stands on availability, but this discussion made me remember it and tingle my nether regions again.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_15/165563_New_PX4_Compact_Carry.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I can tell it looks as if it's going to be on display again at the NRA show this weekend.  I'd like to know more, but just seeing it is enough to make me want to buy a full size Storm now to take advantage of the double magazine deal going on, and the Compact Carry when it appears.  

And there's a sub compact too.  Damn you Beretta!  

Oh well, the safe needed some cleaning out anyway and I've got lots of trading/selling material.

I've no shortage of carry pistols, so waiting for the Compact Carry wouldn't be a big deal.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

From what I can tell it looks as if it's going to be on display again at the NRA show this weekend.  I'd like to know more, but just seeing it is enough to make me want to buy a full size Storm now to take advantage of the double magazine deal going on, and the Compact Carry when it appears.  

Oh well, the safe needed some cleaning out anyway and I've got lots of trading/selling material.

I've no shortage of carry pistols, so waiting for the Compact Carry wouldn't be a big deal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, my wife has the PX4 Subcompact 9mm.  It's a great shooter.  A friend liked it so much he bought one as well- was his first pistol.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#42]
P30sk
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also used to have a full size PX4 Storm chambered in 40 S&W. I ended up trading it off simply because I didn't like it chambered in 40. I will replace it with a 9mm version later this summer. I had zero issues with mine and with a factory "D" hammer spring installed, it had a good DA trigger as well. The only thing I didn't care for was the outdated Bruniton finish on the slide. Beretta really should get up to speed with Melonite or similar finishes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw a 9mm USP Compact in the EE yesterday.  Looked like a nice pistol and I think the price was decent.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're waiting on sights now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#46]
CZ P-07, P-01
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sp2022?

no.  Great value if you don't want P226/P228.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#49]
CZ PCR my friend, or a Walther P99AS.

I have both. Love both.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#50]

I considered it, but it's way outside my $700 upper limit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top