Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2016 8:55:36 PM EDT
I'm planning to compete in a local shooting match.
It's 15yrd & 25yrd bullseye shooting with no movement.
The pistol needed to be at below $1K w/ good trigger and preferably w/ fiber sight.
I had Glock 34 but just can't get used to that grip and trigger.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
CZ SP-01 Shadow or really almost any version of a CZ Shadow.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Springfield Range Officer. It's accurate enough for informal bullseye and is easily upgradable if you want 2" groups at 50 yards. A stock Sig P226 or P229 is also plenty accurate for what you're going to shoot. The CZ is also a good choice.  I have a CZ 75 and it holds it's own with any of the above pistols.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably a range officer with some fitting and barrel bushing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Xdm9 5.25. Red fiber optic front sight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions.
I also have old W.German Sig P228 and wondering whether it's suitable for bullseye shooting.
It was my carry gun and recently refinished w/ cerakote.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a short barrel for what you're saying but could work.

I have 228

Your 34 would be a great choice

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
full size 1911 with the barrel lug cut over center to increase the unlocking time... hard to beat a 1911 single action trigger
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
CZ With sa trigger. Sig 210
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
CZ Shadow with CZ Custom SAO trigger.

Almost any Government size 9mm 1911 with adjustable sights.  Add a hand fit bushing for tighter barrel/slide lockup.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I think Sig 210 is out of my budget... that's one expensive pistol.
It has to be under $1K...
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:48:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has to be under $1K...
View Quote

Going back to CZ-75B  SA

Street price is just under $600 and you can add a fiber optic front from CZ Custom for $35.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#14]
As a long time bullseye shooter I can tell you fiber optic type sights suck for bullseye big black sights ( for those few still running irons in bullseye ) are what works.
The accuracy demands for bullseye usually mean a pretty refined and purpose built pistol to get the job done. If you want to work off the shelf a 9mm 1911 is likely the best choice, as you want something capable of sub 2 inch 25 yard groups at a minimum.
The modern combat autos that are da/sa or striker fired like glocks simply do not in stock form have the capability for bullseye like single actions
Bottom line if you would carry it into combat it probably will not serve well in bullseye and your bullseye gun will not be your choice to carry.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#15]
SAO P226
1911 in 9mm
Sphinx or CZ design pistol
G34
M&P Pro w/ Apex trigger setup

a few options.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#16]
CZ or a Tanfolio
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CZ or a Tanfolio
View Quote

This.  Witness all day
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Glock 17 with LWD 9" Target Barrel?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

For what you are doing this is a good recommendation.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions.
I also have old W.German Sig P228 and wondering whether it's suitable for bullseye shooting.
It was my carry gun and recently refinished w/ cerakote.

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/2827/IMG_6921.jpg

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/2827/IMG_6928.jpg
View Quote

Are those adjustable rights?   It would work but not be optimal, in my opinion.   In terms of weight, precision, and overtravel the trigger might be a little hard to use for Bullseye.  If is If it is an older German one the accuracy should be good.  

Springfield RO seems loke good choice.  If you get one with a bad or creepy trigger that is something a good smith can take care of.

Your 34 could work but you would probably want to clean up or work the trigger.   I'm with a couple other posters, I'd keep the Glock for things that Glocks are better at - like IDPA or action shooting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#21]
9mm Range Officer.   I doubt you'll need to mod it at all, at least initially.  My 45 RO may be the most accurate pistol I own.  And no, you don't want fiber optics for bullseye matches.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.......this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#23]
There are lots of guns that would work. CZ/Tangfo are good ones to look, as well as the classic bullseye pistol, a 1911.

However, I recently put the Apex flat face trigger in a new M&P Pro. 2 inch group @ 20 yards, two hands, standing, just trying to see where the POA/POI was with new sights. Incredibly impressed with the accuracy of the stock barrel combined with the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#24]
SERIOUSLY????

We're talking 9mm bullseye pistols and NOT ONE person mentions the pistol that holds all the US Bullseye records in 9mm???

Beretta 92FS/M9...HELLO!!!

Buy the basic pistol and it shoot VERY well right out of the box.  Add a custom barrel, barrel bushing, sights and a trigger job and you're set for ANY level of competition.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm leaning toward Springfield Range officer 9mm or CZ shadow...
Tough choice....
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Excellent advice.
Do you have any recommendation on sight for bullseye shooting?

Quoted:
As a long time bullseye shooter I can tell you fiber optic type sights suck for bullseye big black sights ( for those few still running irons in bullseye ) are what works.
The accuracy demands for bullseye usually mean a pretty refined and purpose built pistol to get the job done. If you want to work off the shelf a 9mm 1911 is likely the best choice, as you want something capable of sub 2 inch 25 yard groups at a minimum.
The modern combat autos that are da/sa or striker fired like glocks simply do not in stock form have the capability for bullseye like single actions
Bottom line if you would carry it into combat it probably will not serve well in bullseye and your bullseye gun will not be your choice to carry.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  The best handgun instructor I've had for teaching me the fundamentals was a good bullseye shooter.  You'll see the bullseye shooters lubing their bullseye specific guns in between strings of fire.  Their guns are that tight that they need to keep it almost excessively lubed to prevent wear to the critical tolerances.  Stock or mostly stock combat guns with iron sights won't even get you into the minor league of bullseye shooters.

IMHO, in your budget range, you might be better off buying a used older .38 revolver and investing some money in upgrades (target sights, better grips, etc) than buying a new combat style semi-auto.  Even stock .38's can be amazingly accurate with quality wadcutter loads.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#28]
based on everyone's recommendations, I narrowed it down to 2 choices at below:

1 - Springfield Range Officer 9mm w/ stainless steel finish and fiber optic front - Lowest price I found was $820
2 - Springfield Range Officer 9mm w/ Parkerized finish w/ black front sight  - Lowest price I found was $695

Which one should I get?
Any parts that I need to change in order to improve the accuracy & overall performance?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-9mm/

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Black front sight will be better for ultra precision.  Fiber optic sights are great for quick target accusation but for bullseye, its all about precision.  A bright, large circle on the front sight will be larger than the group size that you want.  Think of it as trying to use a 6 moa red dot scope for a prairie dog 2 moa wide.  The dot will completely cover the target so you won't be able to tell if you're aiming on target or if you're a couple moa's off.  For bullseye iron sights you want black, sharp, and tight sights.  You may find that you need to change sights even farther, such as a wider front sight and/or narrower rear sight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Excellent advice.  Thank you

Quoted:
Black front sight will be better for ultra precision.  Fiber optic sights are great for quick target accusation but for bullseye, its all about precision.  A bright, large circle on the front sight will be larger than the group size that you want.  Think of it as trying to use a 6 moa red dot scope for a prairie dog 2 moa wide.  The dot will completely cover the target so you won't be able to tell if you're aiming on target or if you're a couple moa's off.  For bullseye iron sights you want black, sharp, and tight sights.  You may find that you need to change sights even farther, such as a wider front sight and/or narrower rear sight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#31]
If you can find someone to set up a Beretta for you, it will compete with anything.  However, good luck finding an experienced smith.

You'll likely find someone who can tune a 1911 and it won't cost as much.  Assuming adjustable sights are good to go, a basic trigger job and fitting a match bushing is all you'll need.

So, you're also gonna need match 9mm ammo that your selected pistol likes.  It's going to matter.  Actually, 99% of shooters will do much better with a S&W Model 14 and wadcutters.  And the 1911 should be in 45acp running match ammo.  But we live in the age of tactical silliness so what the heck.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Smith...52 or Performance center revolver in 9mm or 357. Good triggers out of the box...sights can always change.
Sights are always an issue. You see what you see. Not what I see.

Edit: nod to 1911 in .38 Super
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Spook is right about the smith 14 and was cutters.
I have been shooting bullseye for over 30 years now, and did manage to earn distinguished while on a military team ( using berettas)
But even after all these years still shoot a plain old revolver better. My go to centerfire bullseye gun is smith model 14 - what they call the target masterpiece- a six inch barrel 38 with adjustable sights. And for the 22 portion I use a model 17 ( identical to the 14 except caliber)
I am unsure why you are wedded to the 9mm- if as others have touched on- you want maximum accuracy it is unlikely run of the mill bargain plinking ammo is going to give sufficient accuracy, so if ammo cost of availability are part of your reasoning you can toss that out the window.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I have four full sized 9MM pistols.  I don't know if any of them would be legal for that type of shooting or not.  

I can tell you that the CZ P09 outshoots the Browning, XDM and M&P pistols by a significant margin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Tanfoglio Elite match
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you can find someone to set up a Beretta for you, it will compete with anything.  However, good luck finding an experienced smith.

You'll likely find someone who can tune a 1911 and it won't cost as much.  Assuming adjustable sights are good to go, a basic trigger job and fitting a match bushing is all you'll need.

So, you're also gonna need match 9mm ammo that your selected pistol likes.  It's going to matter.  Actually, 99% of shooters will do much better with a S&W Model 14 and wadcutters.  And the 1911 should be in 45acp running match ammo.  But we live in the age of tactical silliness so what the heck.

View Quote

That is still the biggest problem with Beretta's, great guns but for bullseye they still need $$ work, which is easier in a 1911.  

Why does the 1911 HAVE to be in 45?  Most people are going to shoot the 9mm better.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
based on everyone's recommendations, I narrowed it down to 2 choices at below:

1 - Springfield Range Officer 9mm w/ stainless steel finish and fiber optic front - Lowest price I found was $820
2 - Springfield Range Officer 9mm w/ Parkerized finish w/ black front sight  - Lowest price I found was $695

Which one should I get?
Any parts that I need to change in order to improve the accuracy & overall performance?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-9mm/

View Quote

I'd buy the black one.  Shoot it for a little while, it might need a little trigger work.  As far as other parts, at the ranges you are shooting at I'd probably wait to have any other accuracy related work done.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Bullseye is a totally different game from every other pistol game I know.

I agree the Springfield RO or CZ 75 SA is the best bang for your buck right out of the gate and both can be easily improved.

Sights will need to be black on black and adjustable.

It is unlikely red box Federal from Wally World will give you the accuracy you need. If you don't reload, consider starting. Once you are reloading, 45 and 38 Spec are kings in BE.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
SERIOUSLY????

We're talking 9mm bullseye pistols and NOT ONE person mentions the pistol that holds all the US Bullseye records in 9mm???

Buy the basic pistol and it shoot VERY well right out of the box.  Add a custom barrel, barrel bushing, sights and a trigger job and you're set for ANY level of competition.
View Quote

+1 here.

Many people are very successful with a Drop in match barrel, and Beretta Adjustable rear site to start and then add other things as well. If you start with a Brigadier it can take front and rear sites.

cp
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That is still the biggest problem with Beretta's, great guns but for bullseye they still need $$ work, which is easier in a 1911.  

Why does the 1911 HAVE to be in 45?  Most people are going to shoot the 9mm better.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm a pistolsmith and I'd MUCH rather build a full Bullseye M9 than 1911.  Barrel fitting on the Beretta is child's play compared to the 1911.  Sear/hammer engagement is virtually the same.  

The AMU guns don't even use a cone barrel, rear fitting only and they straight up shoot lights out; pretty much own the 1911's.

For serious bullseye shooting the M9 is cheaper, and will result in a more accurate pistol.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#42]
2 - Springfield Range Officer 9mm w/ Parkerized finish w/ black front sight - Lowest price I found was $695
This one and do nothing to it when you can out shoot the gun then you will know what it needs.

throwing money at a pistol is a much lower return than learning how to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. This is the best path for pure accuracy in your price range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Great advice.

I'm planning to purchase Springfield RO in Park finish.
$695 is damn good price.

Quoted:
2 - Springfield Range Officer 9mm w/ Parkerized finish w/ black front sight - Lowest price I found was $695
This one and do nothing to it when you can out shoot the gun then you will know what it needs.

throwing money at a pistol is a much lower return than learning how to shoot it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well I'm a pistolsmith and I'd MUCH rather build a full Bullseye M9 than 1911.  Barrel fitting on the Beretta is child's play compared to the 1911.  Sear/hammer engagement is virtually the same.  

The AMU guns don't even use a cone barrel, rear fitting only and they straight up shoot lights out; pretty much own the 1911's.

For serious bullseye shooting the M9 is cheaper, and will result in a more accurate pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool - do you have a website or business where you build bullseye M9s and how much?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is true for general shooting but for bullseye you're going to want match SWC ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Springfield Armory Range Officer 9mm
HK USP9 Expert
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#48]
A good thing to check before purchasing a firearm for competition is the rule book.

Here is the NRA Pistol Rule Book

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A good thing to check before purchasing a firearm for competition is the rule book.

Here is the NRA Pistol Rule Book

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Pistol/pistol-book.pdf
View Quote

I agree with this, it may cause you to open up your mind to some options you hadn't previously considered.

That being said you really can't go wrong with the Range Officer.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

+1 here.

Many people are very successful with a Drop in match barrel, and Beretta Adjustable rear site to start and then add other things as well. If you start with a Brigadier it can take front and rear sites.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/Mobile%20Uploads/20160128_164912_zps4j4dsanm.jpg

cp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SERIOUSLY????

+1 here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/Mobile%20Uploads/20160128_164912_zps4j4dsanm.jpg

cp

Did you build that yourself?  What are the specs?  What front sight is that?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top