Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2015 11:40:08 PM EDT
Ok, I've seen the Taurus M380, but from what I"ve read the trigger is horrible.
My whole research started with my 69 year old sister who needs something she can feel confident with.  She has a 9mm pistol, but checking it to see if it's empty, loading  more than 4 rounds in the magazine and the long DA trigger pull.(Taurus PT111)
A day at the range with her and she and I both agreed a revolver is her way to go.  A low recoil revolver.
So my search began.  I haven't messed with revolvers in years.
I found the moon clips and 9mm revolvers. wow nice reloading speed and simple. However recoil was still too much.
Found the Taurus M380  a 380 with moon clips and the recoil looks good but they are out of stock everywhere!
So I look into the Ruger LCR. Nice trigger but they only have 22 mag for recoil sensitive.
My sister wants a "big girl" gun not a 22 lol
Anyway this brings me to my question to you guys.  Would a 380 Ruger LCR  be a good option for the Novice, women or recoil sensitive shooter for SD?
I am trying to see if there would be enough interest to try to convince Ruger there is a market for it.
So my poll question is?
Do you think there is a place for a 380 revolver for SD?
Think of anyone in your family that could benefit from it and please vote and post.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to hear input for why not if anyone votes no.
btw here is a link for some interesting ammo that get's it up near a 9mm in SD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDQcE-1T40
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a .38, but not a Taurus, and start with wadcutters. Work her up from there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I voted yes.  I'd probably get one for my wife.  She likes revolvers but she shot my DS with wadcutters and it was still too much for her.  I'm thinking about getting a .22 revolver to get her started.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I voted yes.  I'd probably get one for my wife.  She likes revolvers but she shot my DS with wadcutters and it was still too much for her.  I'm thinking about getting a .22 revolver to get her started.
View Quote

148 gr target wadcutters? Huh, out of a steel Detective Special there shouldn't have been hardly any recoil. I have a hard time believing a .380 revolver would have less recoil then those wadcutters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
380 has less recoil. The 9mm is close to the same as the 38spl.... The moon clips are great for reloading, faster than speed loaders.  Jerry Miculek says anyway.
I like the feed and forget of the moon clips.  Also like the fact of not having a bunch of different types of ammo myself.
I just picked up a LCR 22lr to plink around with ammor is about 1/5 the cost of 9mm, but I know I will be getting a LCR in 9mm in the future for me. I really like the moon clips for speed of reload and having plenty of 9mm weapons the idea of not having to stock another cartridge is great for me.
However my sister is not a shooter at all. She only wants something she can have "in case".  So I figure it's gotta be something she won't mind taking out every once in awhile or she will completely forget everything.  Again she's not a shooter. So for her building up ain't gonna happen.  It's more like building up the confidence in what she can handle now and hoping she will find enough enjoyment to maybe get it out every now and then.

I think there are a lot of her type out there with CCW permits, they get them but they really aren't shooters they just want something they can fall back on if they really needed it.
I know it's hard to believe but some people don't sit on the web looking at gun stuff all the time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You do not need a special revolver clambering but simply a reloading press! Practice ammo with light bullets below wadcutter recoil are easy to duplicate.
Another option if you can find it is 38 short colt ammo which runs a 125 at roughly 700 fps
Oh yeah it will be expensive and you will want to reload those too
Old reloading manuals are best because unlike modern guides that list only a max, the old ones give a minimum which is a great starting point
Did I just say reloading again?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]
No on a 380 revolver. There is no real benefit over a 38.

The size is no smaller and I find the recoil about the same if you are shooting Winchester White Box.
380 has also become very pricey for what it is and hard to find.
The moon clips are cool to you not her. If she rarely shoots it, reloading speed is not a concern. If you are really hung on moon clips, get a k frame and have it cut for moon clips.

Unless she is going to carry it, get her a used S&W with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Give her Win White Box for practice and something more potent for social work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Why not just get her a 38 special?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why not just get her a 38 special?
View Quote

Yeah, that and .380 ammo is so damn expensive. A good standard pressure LHP or JHP will be fine for her, along with cheaper ball to practice with, then move her up to the better +P rounds.

This is a big reason I went entirely 9mm. I can afford to shoot a lot of it and you are only as safe as you practice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

148 gr target wadcutters? Huh, out of a steel Detective Special there shouldn't have been hardly any recoil. I have a hard time believing a .380 revolver would have less recoil then those wadcutters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, it even left a mark on her hand.  Don't ask me how, and yes I'm SURE they were wadcutters.  And yes, they feel very soft to me.  But somehow it did this:

She hit the target at 5 yards though....

I should've started her out on a .22 and just let her shoot that until she was ready to move up.  I was trying desperately to get her shooting a gun that would be good in a defensive situation and I failed to start her out on that.  Duuuuuumb.  Don't do that.  She never has been real into shooting.  It's scary for her.  And then giving her a gun that leaves a mark on her hand didn't help anything.  She shot my 10/22 though and had a fine time with that.

For her revolvers are more intuitive.  I don't care what everyone says about them being harder to shoot.  She also can't pull back the slide on any of my autos.... and yes I've tried everything I know how to.  Had her look at the cornered cat website, etc etc.  Push pull.  Someone else needs to teach her if she's ever going to be proficient because I have failed.  It did hit me a couple of days ago that the M&P slide is very easy to rack and I need to try that one with her.  It's newer to me.  But it's a .45 and that would be dumb to stick in her hands.  I've got a few semi .22's I need to have her shoot.  

And yeah, I don't know why the DS has more felt recoil than it should.  I feel it too.  I got a 442 and put hogue tamer grips on it.  And despite being a lot lighter it has less felt recoil with similar rounds than the DS.  I know the grip has something to do with it, but I think the bore is higher on the DS and it has a greater affect on recoil.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
She looked at a 38spl snub nose.Smith and Wesson.
Too heavy.
she has seen the video on moon clips and she loves the idea of having an empty gun on her night stand with a full load to drop in.
It's not me that is concerned about speed but what she wants.
If I could talke her into a 22 mag I would.
but she is set on the 380 so for now I'm suck with a Taurus M380 and having to do a trigger job.
I was looking to see if anyone else thought the shooting world could use more 380 revolvers
Most of the votes so far have been no.
Really no surprising since I'm talking to a lot of shooters so most of you are thinking as shooters and not as noobs.
I on the other hand had to deal with her on the range and have 1st hand experience on what ONE novice shooter wants
I do appreciate the input, but most of the suggestions about 38 WILL NOT work for my situation.
I'm pretty much set with what I have to do. just looking for what everyone else's experiences are. Especially with very new and elderly shooters.
I've had this same problem come up with others I work with and family members (ie. Mothers, sisters etc)
In most cases it's either a 22 or making them "endure" something we actually enjoy.
That's not the way to introduce those shooters to our world or keep them in it for long.
They will buy a 38spl sit it in a drawer and never load it because of the fear/weight/etc...

There are some that have the dexterity and mental attitude to go 38 or even pistol, but there are a lot that can't and aside from the 22 they don't have much choice as I see it.

I challenge you to take a 70 year old female new shooter and start her on a 38spl and see if she stays with it.  There are plenty around find one and have at it
Quoted:

The size is no smaller and I find the recoil about the same if you are shooting Winchester White Box.
The moon clips are cool to you not her. If she rarely shoots it, reloading speed is not a concern. If you are really hung on moon clips, get a k frame and have it cut for moon clips.

Unless she is going to carry it, get her a used S&W with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Give her Win White Box for practice and something more potent for social work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
.380 revolver seems redundant to me.

S&W makes a 442 and 642 in their "Pro" series that are cut for moon clips. No lock either. They're nice, but they are 15 oz aluminum frame snubbies, and are pretty snappy for a novice.

I think she should look at a 3" model 60. All steel.
Or go old school and find a 4" Model 15 or 2-1/2" Model 19. Steel guns with real sights.

Get some Hogue rubber grips, some wadcutters,  and teach her to use a speedloader.

Does Beretta still make the 3032 .32ACP Tomcat? It had a tip up barrel, so you didn't have to rack the slide. .32 should be manageable for her.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I think revolver is bad choice for recoil sensitive for one and two I would say an auto is easier to learn and handle the recoil.  Not to mention the manual of arms of the two pistols.

9mm would be best option as .380 pistols usually are snappier due to them being direct blow back instead of the locking design of most modern pistols.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

S&W makes a 442 and 642 in their "Pro" series that are cut for moon clips. No lock either. They're nice, but they are 15 oz aluminum frame snubbies, and are pretty snappy for a novice.

Or go old school and find a 4" Model 15 or 2-1/2" Model 19. Steel guns with real sights.

Get some Hogue rubber grips, some wadcutters,  and teach her to use a speedloader.

Does Beretta still make the 3032 .32ACP Tomcat? It had a tip up barrel, so you didn't have to rack the slide. .32 should be manageable for her.
View Quote

Yep, the tip up barrel was specifically designed for situations like this.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Too heavy.
she has seen the video on moon clips and she loves the idea of having an empty gun on her night stand with a full load to drop in.
but she is set on the 380 so for now I'm suck with a Taurus M380 and having to do a trigger job.
I was looking to see if anyone else thought the shooting world could use more 380 revolvers
Really no surprising since I'm talking to a lot of shooters so most of you are thinking as shooters and not as noobs.
I on the other hand had to deal with her on the range and have 1st hand experience on what ONE novice shooter wants
I do appreciate the input, but most of the suggestions about 38 WILL NOT work for my situation.
I'm pretty much set with what I have to do. just looking for what everyone else's experiences are. Especially with very new and elderly shooters.
I've had this same problem come up with others I work with and family members (ie. Mothers, sisters etc)
In most cases it's either a 22 or making them "endure" something we actually enjoy.
That's not the way to introduce those shooters to our world or keep them in it for long.
They will buy a 38spl sit it in a drawer and never load it because of the fear/weight/etc...

There are some that have the dexterity and mental attitude to go 38 or even pistol, but there are a lot that can't and aside from the 22 they don't have much choice as I see it.

I challenge you to take a 70 year old female new shooter and start her on a 38spl and see if she stays with it.  There are plenty around find one and have at it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Too heavy.

Quoted:

IMHO, if that's what she wants, I'd get it for her.  You can get speedloaders for any wheelgun though.  FWIW.  You probably know that.  But hey, I personally think it's better than nothing at all.  If she is set on it.  I'd get it and run a couple hundreds rounds through it and hopefully it stays together.  It would be nice if there was one she'd be OK that is a bit more well known for reliability.  I had a taurus 92 and it ran fine.  I didn't put zillions of rounds through it but I never had a malf.  My Brother in law has it now.  But the general consensus on their revolvers is hit or miss.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]
So,etching larger than a j frame would be my suggestion, especially if she isn't going to be carrying it.

Take her to a gun range that has rental and have her try various pistols.  I would have her try a K frame for sure.  Heavier, yes...but less recoil.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If you make a .22 rim-fire small and light enough even it will bark pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
My BIL could not find any, I mean zero, ammo for .380 during the last panic.

I go with something more common like .38 special.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got a 69yo co worker his 1st gun. Helped him thought the process. He could not mange a semi auto. The slide was too hard for him. He was VERY happy with the S&W442 he tried. That is now his gun. If a 69yo that never fired a gun before can handle it anyone should.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#20]
LCR (bigger than .22) for someone recoil sensitive? Hell, no!

I've got carpal tunnel. The .38 sp LCR I had for a few months (I rented one that didn't hurt so much) hurt so badly that the web of my hand was bruised and my hand just ached. I couldn't put more than 10-15 rounds through it at a time.

If you want a .380, try the Bersa Thunder. It's about the same size as a Shield and isn't snappy. I carry a Shield just fine and can put 100 rounds through it without issues.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Check out the Glock 42. The gun has very little recoil due to size and double recoil spring.
I think the demision are perfect for most women and the slide isn't heavy to cycle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've got carpal tunnel. The .38 sp LCR I had for a few months (I rented one that didn't hurt so much) hurt so badly that the web of my hand was bruised and my hand just ached. I couldn't put more than 10-15 rounds through it at a time.

If you want a .380, try the Bersa Thunder. It's about the same size as a Shield and isn't snappy. I carry a Shield just fine and can put 100 rounds through it without issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Could it have to do with the heavy trigger pull on a revolver? I'd imagine that would really irritate your carpal tunnel.

Quoted:
Check out the Glock 42. The gun has very little recoil due to size and double recoil spring.
I think the demision are perfect for most women and the slide isn't heavy to cycle.

This.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Recoil sensitivity should be taken into consideration but not the only view point. Let her decide don't decide for her.

My wife likes my Colt Trooper MkIII and shoots .357s. The main thing is let her shoot something and work from there
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't see the need for one when you can get some really light .38 Special loads. Or if someone is really that recoil sensitive, get a "high capacity" .22 like a Ruger LCR.

I don't think that a .22 is optimum for SD, but a face full of .22's beats pleading or harsh words.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]
What's the frame size like in comparison to a J frame on the LCR???? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What's the frame size like in comparison to a J frame on the LCR???? Anyone know?
View Quote

Basically the same.  The LCR poly frame flexes a bit which makes recoil feel a bit less harsh.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I had my wife dry firing some of my handguns yesterday.  What's weird is that my Model 19 has a lighter trigger than my 442.  But she had a harder time pulling it back because it seemed like the gun was just too big for her hands.  She wanted to wrap her right hand a little further around to get a better angle on the trigger.   Anyways....  I'm thinking the LCR in .22 would be a pretty easy gun to shoot, but I'm also a little worried about how heavy the trigger pull is on it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:34:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought a LCR 22 last week. My wife loves it, However it has a heavier trigger pull than the LCR 9mm, 327, 38,357 (center fire).
The trigger pulls is heavier because of the rim primers.
I like my LCR 22(actually becoming my wife's. She is laying claim to it and we know how that goes)
I like the trigger pull on the LCR 38 better.
Find a gun dealer and let her pull the trigger on one a few times.
Shooting them is a hoot. She went thru 50 rounds in my back yard in about 10 minutes
Quoted:
I had my wife dry firing some of my handguns yesterday.  What's weird is that my Model 19 has a lighter trigger than my 442.  But she had a harder time pulling it back because it seemed like the gun was just too big for her hands.  She wanted to wrap her right hand a little further around to get a better angle on the trigger.   Anyways....  I'm thinking the LCR in .22 would be a pretty easy gun to shoot, but I'm also a little worried about how heavy the trigger pull is on it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Glock 42
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll see your 3 charts and raise you a video
https://youtu.be/-PDQcE-1T40
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  I'll see your 3 charts and raise you a video
https://youtu.be/-PDQcE-1T40

View All Quotes

18 minutes?  Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

ETA:  Oh, this is the new fangled screwdriver round.  Let's see some charts on it, OP, not an 18 minute video.  I bought into the Glaser Safety Slug BS back in the day, too, and that was before they had 18 minute infomercials.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:00:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Pistol is not even a consideration for my sister.
Her exact arguments for why not:
1. You can't tell when it's loaded. (small indicators are nothing compared to seeing the rounds)
2. Has problems cycling any slides(and lets not even consider the possibility of a jam)
3. can't load over 4 rounds in any magazine due to hand strength.
4. Having a gun sit around that she can't easily see if it's loaded or not.
5. Unloading a loaded pistol is scary for her.

I will add here. Even though a Glock "functions flawlessly" it' along with just about every pistol I"ve seen if you have weak wrists you can get a malfunction. Usually the recoil with the weak wrist "catch" a spent case and jam.

bottom line it will be a revolver. She will never retain any clearing drills and pistols are harder to clean.  She can do a revolver. A pistol would require her to take it to someone else to clean....again adding to the complexity of a pistol.

Quoted:
Glock 42
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:05:37 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, the tip up barrel was specifically designed for situations like this.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beretta.com%2Fassets%2F2%2F15%2FDimGalleryLarge%2FJ320104_3QT_OPEN.png&f=1

Friend of mine had one of those that I fired (years ago).  Horrible little gun.

My wife hated it too, but liked my 9mm Beretta 92FC. Go figure.

In any event I voted "Maybe" because it's better than nothing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#35]
18 minutes of you life. wow.
If you read all the stuff on you 3 links it would probably take 20!
I don't jump on wagons, but I don't drive with blinders. If I find something of interest I would do more than 18 minutes of field work myself to see if it is of value to me.
Well to each there own.
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDQcE-1T40

ETA:  Oh, this is the new fangled screwdriver round.  Let's see some charts on it, OP, not an 18 minute video.  I bought into the Glaser Safety Slug BS back in the day, too, and that was before they had 18 minute infomercials.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDQcE-1T40

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:12:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I will say though Backbencher the charts are of the same type Hornady Critical Defense. So it does show a good argument for the 22mag vs the 380 in that type round.
I was trying to talk my sister into 22mag until I realized the trigger pull on the LCR rimfires is more than the center fires.
I would still try to convince her if I though I had a chance. I think the 22mag is right for her and she would actually go out and shoot it sometimes instead of just having a gun for self defense.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:35:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  I will say though Backbencher the charts are of the same type Hornady Critical Defense. So it does show a good argument for the 22mag vs the 380 in that type round.
I was trying to talk my sister into 22mag until I realized the trigger pull on the LCR rimfires is more than the center fires.
I would still try to convince her if I though I had a chance. I think the 22mag is right for her and she would actually go out and shoot it sometimes instead of just having a gun for self defense.
View Quote

Have you considered a 20 ga shotgun?  Double or pump?  Can she handle an AR?  Dunno if this is for car carry or CHL, or what your state's laws are on longarms.

You could put her in an 8-shot .357" revolver, 4" bbl, have it cut for moon-clips, and run those Hornady Critical Defense Lite .38" Special loads.  If the DA trigger is too heavy she can cock the hammer.  That would be a pussycat.

If you could get her to run a semi-auto, the Kel-Tec .22" WMR would give her 30 rounds of Hornady.  If she insists on a revolver, then there's plenty of DA/SA .22" WMR revolvers.  Might also take a look @ the .32" - H&R Magnum & the new .327" Federal.  If the recoil's too much, run .32" Long in it.

May we all live to the level of frailty she's dealing w/, and the mental toughness to not surrender.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally I have fired 2 different Bersa .380s with multiple types of ammo and they're one of the snappiest handguns I've shot (only the DB9 beat it out for me). Also just for reference I'm not recoil sensitive that thing just beat the crap out of my hand pretty much on par with a PA-63 I owned. Direct blowback guns are notorious for being rough.

Suprised the LCR was even worse, considering I've fired .38 +p in multiple j-frames and thought it wasn't as bad.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#40]
sure, why not?

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#41]
why reinvent the wheel?

38spl has available loads from 38 wadcutter target loads up through 38+P . . Pretty much straddles the power and  recoil of the 380
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#42]
steep 1 love k frames you need

a model 18= 4" k frame 22lr
amodel 15 4" k frame in 38spc
66 or 19 4" k frame in 357 can also shoot 38 spc.

if you want a jframe go a mod 34  and then a modek 60

you have a 22lr to train on trigger pull and safety habits with then step up to 38 then finally to 357mag that is how you train shooters
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know for sure but I believe they are very similar. I don't own or haven't played with a J frame
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Now. My sister wants a gun she can sit by her bed unloaded but ready to go. Picking up a moon clip and dropping it n is the fastest and easiest route. Followed by speedloaders n rim cartridges. Pistol is loser because it requires charging after inserting mag and also clearing after.
Next it will ride n a handbag when she travels. Loaded. So hammerless would be nice,but they are all about the same here except when she arrives unloading again the moon clip wins. Take it out sit it down done.

Now second issue. Recoil. I haven't fired a 38 in years since our department went to semiautos. As I remember they had more kick than 9mm. This would make them a loser along with 9mm n the revolver due to more recoil than she already is trying to handle n her pistol.

However on that note there is critical defense n other reduced loads so I may have an old bias there.

So....
I've heard all your input and I've seen the votes.if I do go with a 380 it will be the Taurus M380 revolver since it is the only one offered.
I may try a 9mm Revolver with reduced loads and a 38 with reduced loads to see if she(the one that is going to use it) wants to give on her demands.

Again guys I enjoyed your input and feel free to continue to debate, but I am working on her guidelines not mine. I simply try to show her her options.
I personally carry a SW shield 9mm and be done with it.
But since doing the research for her, my interest has lead me to purchase a LCR 22 and I will probably purchase a 9mm revolver n the future. I see no reason to add another caliber to my collection. But I have rekindled an interest for me n revolvers
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.

S&W makes a couple of .22LR revolvers that are easy to shoot. If carrying is never going to happen, get one with the longer barrel, maybe a fiber optic sight, and put some laser grips on it. Then load it with good quality CCI .22LR ammo.

It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it will work.

ETA:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/160221_01_lg.jpg

They also make a steel version of the same revolver:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/162634_01_lg.jpg

If I had to get somebody a revolver that couldn't recoil much, there it is.

The steel version is going to be a mite easier to shoot (better weight ratio against the trigger) and will have even less recoil.

I'd also look into replacing the rebound spring in the revolver with one of the lighter ones from Wilson to lighten the trigger pull weight a bit, too. The rebound spring being lighter won't impact the reliability of firing the revolver at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see the need for one when you can get some really light .38 Special loads. Or if someone is really that recoil sensitive, get a "high capacity" .22 like a Ruger LCR.

I don't think that a .22 is optimum for SD, but a face full of .22's beats pleading or harsh words.

This.

S&W makes a couple of .22LR revolvers that are easy to shoot. If carrying is never going to happen, get one with the longer barrel, maybe a fiber optic sight, and put some laser grips on it. Then load it with good quality CCI .22LR ammo.

It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it will work.

ETA:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/160221_01_lg.jpg

They also make a steel version of the same revolver:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/162634_01_lg.jpg

If I had to get somebody a revolver that couldn't recoil much, there it is.

The steel version is going to be a mite easier to shoot (better weight ratio against the trigger) and will have even less recoil.

I'd also look into replacing the rebound spring in the revolver with one of the lighter ones from Wilson to lighten the trigger pull weight a bit, too. The rebound spring being lighter won't impact the reliability of firing the revolver at all.

I've seen those before and like the idea of them a lot.  It'd be nice to find one in a store somewhere to have her try the trigger.  I didn't know you could change the rebound spring and have it make the trigger pull lighter.  Thanks for the tip!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Ruger is chambering the LCR in 327 mag.
6 shot.
Load it with 32HR or 32 long.
Or hell even 32acp.  Might not expect to be all that accurate with 32 acp in it.  Bore size difference.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Well looks like around 12% for on this website and 19% on the Ruger Forums.  That's not a bad figure of you take it as "most" handgun shooters.
Couple things of interest to me on a side note. I discovered DAO revolvers in Rimfire tend to have harder trigger pull since the hammer strike needs to be harder on rimfire cartridges.  Makes a 380 easier to fire in a Ruger LCR than a 22 Mag.
Reloading reduced loads for my sister also would help her get used to the weapon before full power defense loads. Using Critical Defense Lite rounds will also help.
I really hadn't considered reduced hand loads because I normally don't reload pistol ammo, but for a revolver since I'm not putting the numbers thru it I  would a semi pistol would be that bad.  

Thanks for the input guys it has helped me get a better grip on what options I can go with her.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I would recommend a Ruger sp101 in 32 h&r magnum. The gun will also shoot 32 long I believe which has no recoil in that revolver. I had one for a while, was a fun little revolver with some weight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Starting novice shooters on tiny revolvers with terrible triggers teaches more bad habits and causes more problems than it solves.

Micro airweight reovlvers are for experienced shooters who know exactly what they are: a gun when a better gun isn't available/can't be carried to be used at pretty damn close/standoff range.

Also rimless cartridges aren't exactly novice friendly in revolvers, coupled with the fact that most people would assume that a 380 revolver is really a 38 spcl and give them the wrong advice.

If size is a factor, start them with the smallest gun with the best trigger--like a CZ RAMI.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would recommend a Ruger sp101 in 32 h&r magnum. The gun will also shoot 32 long I believe which has no recoil in that revolver. I had one for a while, was a fun little revolver with some weight.
View Quote

This, with the option of loading .32 S&W.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top