Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2015 12:58:06 PM EDT
it looks cool in the movies. first doesn't it guarantee to get sand in your mag. does it save any time in a Saturday competition? in general when i have emptied a mag i remove it and place it in pocket. so when i grab the other mag for practice its got a place to go. and not in the interest of being fast just by habit at a slow safe pace.  im new to shooting in general. in my interest of maybe doing some amateur competition. i see these you tube cowboys dropping there mags.  whats the proper training for a  reload in real world situations? what is best for competition?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I guarantee you that no one winning IPSC/USPSA/IDPA/3GUN, etc., matches is retaining any magazines unless they absolutely have to.

Police aren't doing it either unless they have rounds in them still.

The only people that hold onto them are the .mil guys because they have more ammo to put in them when they are empty, but likely not an emergency reload in a firefight.

After shooting in the sand a few times, I did throw one of these in my range bag: http://www.amazon.com/Kleen-Bore-MAG-WELL-BRUSH-STAGGERED/dp/B0002IMNS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426871325&sr=8-1

I still haven't used it yet because I carry at least 10 mags with me to a match, but if I need to, I'll clean it out.

Some people just used a paint brush, or carry a little can of compressed air.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Some guys are using "dump pouches"
But nobody should train to take more time putting a empty mag anywhere. Yea this was a few years ago but there was a cop found dead at the scene with his hand in his pocket grasping the 6 empties. That is what the range officer had trained them to do at the practice range since he did not want empty brass on the ground.

You don't need that mag anymore it does you no good now that it is empty. So get it out of the way and get a new one in and back in the fight. That is one philosophy.

The other is; you will need that mag again so you need to take it with you. It will take weeks or you will never get a resupply before the next mission (if ever).

You don't need to go back and pick up mags if you have a dump/drop pouch. But the guys I am talking about have covering fire or some support when changing magazines.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI

It is incredibly slow to retain a mag when not needed, just watch how much slower a reload with retention is in IDPA compared to a reload in USPSA.  Your focus should be getting the gun back into action, which means ignoring the empty falling out and driving the new new mag into place.  Sure you may end up getting some crap on the empty but honestly who cares?  blow it off or hit it to get the dirt off and move on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I only shoot in the sand and i always drop them just clean them every once in a while and your fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some guys are using "dump pouches"
But nobody should train to take more time putting a empty mag anywhere. Yea this was a few years ago but there was a cop found dead at the scene with his hand in his pocket grasping the 6 empties. That is what the range officer had trained them to do at the practice range since he did not want empty brass on the ground.

You don't need that mag anymore it does you no good now that it is empty. So get it out of the way and get a new one in and back in the fight. That is one philosophy.

The other is; you will need that mag again so you need to take it with you. It will take weeks or you will never get a resupply before the next mission (if ever).

You don't need to go back and pick up mags if you have a dump/drop pouch. But the guys I am talking about have covering fire or some support when changing magazines.

View Quote

My firearms instructor told me about this when were training!!!!  "what you do while training...you WILL do in an emergency situation!"
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to catch my mags as they dropped out of the gun.  I did it without thinking.  When I decided to stop catching them it was very difficult to retrain myself.  Train like you fight or, in this case, game.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#7]
all good replys. i guess it is a good idea to train to what would be the most important situation not the most likely situation.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Once you press the mag release, forget about that mag and focus on getting more ammo into the gun and back to shooting.  Every millisecond the gun is empty is wasted time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]
OP:  First things first.  I know it's the internet and all, but your posting skills are severely lacking.  Please use capitalization and some semblance of sentence structure and punctuation.  If it's hard to read your post, it's hard to figure out what you're trying to say/ask.

As for dropping mags, it's perfectly fine unless your competition doesn't allow mags left behind to be recovered for use in later stages.  Our 3 gun occasionally includes this rule, hence dump pouches.

If you decide to drop mags, make sure you have a fair number of them.  Set 2-3 aside for real world use.  Mark the others as training and number them somehow.  Dropping mags can dirty them or bang them up and start inducing failures.  Keeping separate carry mags keeps the malfunctions from happening when you need the pistol most.  Numbering the training mags allows you to track specific problems to specific magazines.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you decide to drop mags, make sure you have a fair number of them.  Set 2-3 aside for real world use.  Mark the others as training and number them somehow.  Dropping mags can dirty them or bang them up and start inducing failures.  Keeping separate carry mags keeps the malfunctions from happening when you need the pistol most.  Numbering the training mags allows you to track specific problems to specific magazines.
View Quote

This

I have 3 for carry (that I have tested in my Glock).  Then I have 5 I train with, that way if I get sand in them and causes a failure it is during training.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#11]
2 for carry, 15 for training, and 10 new tucked away...for each gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I drop them. Practice, matches, everything but slow fire accuracy shooting. I try to give them a little flick so I don't stomp them into submission.

So far as dirt/rocks/mud yeah it gets in, shake it out, beat em on something, rinse them (oil after), whatever, most are pretty resilient.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are just running games do whatever you want but generally drooping the mag will be quicker .

If you are really training for any possibility that you will be using the firearm to defend yourself , train to drop that mag.

Years ago I shot IPSIC with a 1911 and several years I went to a match down in Long Island NY that was held at a club that was more or less soft beach sand. It was a big all day match that had 10 or 12 different pits that you had to shoot and one of the keys to scoring well was showing up with a big box of mags.
There would be one guy shooting with a couple on deck and everyone else would be trying to get the sand out of their mags
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Imagine a scenario in which you you use your pistol in defense. Now imagine you have fired to slide lock and there is still a threat? How soon do you want the fresh magazine in the gun? What is the quickest way to get the gun back up and loaded?

Now do that in practice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I drop'em.  Getting them dirty doesn't bother me.  I am more concerned that i'll drop and it lands weird and gets damaged, but that has yet to happen so on the ground they go.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
whats the proper training for a  reload in real world situations? what is best for competition?
View Quote

In a "real world situation" don't you think you're going to want to reload your gun as fast as possible?  Which is faster, pressing the mag release and immediately grabbing a new mag while the old one falls to the ground, or removing the empty mag and carefully placing it in your pocket before you reload the gun?  Same concept for competition.  If you're doing any type of practical match that's under the clock you want to reload as quickly as possible.  Will you get sand in your mags...who cares.  You can always clean them later.  I get sand and dirt in my competition mags all the time.  Some mags need to be cleaned more often to keep running; I rarely clean Glock mags and they keep on running.

Quoted:
it looks cool in the movies.
View Quote

I thought no one ever needs to reload in movies???
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Isn't there a story from a Marine who went to put his rifle mag back in the pouch, during a firefight in Iraq, like he was trained and because of that he was shot and paralyzed?

Also, as far as competition goes, time is pretty important and you will waste a lot trying to keep your mags from falling into the dirt. I have dropped mine into dirt, grass, mud, snow and concrete during matches and have never had a problem. Just inspect them for any obvious crud after your stage and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Dirt, mud, grass,  sand, etc. You clean them between stages.    Harder one is dropping $120 mags on concrete.  It's better to do a hot or combat reload with one or more in the mag vs slide lock,  its faster.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
As a cop, I've always trained to drop mags, whether using rifle or pistol. A co-worker and I recently were discussing active shooters and the response to them when this very subject came up. My co-worker retains his magazines, contrary to my practice. When asked, he stated that he was trained to do so with several principles in mind:

1: don't leave a trail of empty mags that can be followed

2: any ammo resupply is likely to be boxed ammo, not loaded magazines.

The second reason makes MUCH more sense to me than the first, since I might even desire to leave a trail that can be followed by other responders.

This is still a subject I'm on the fence on, myself.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
all good replys. i guess it is a good idea to train to what would be the most important situation not the most likely situation.
View Quote

Exactly!

When I train I don't retain mags. I have used the mags i dropped on concrete, dirt, sand, grass, all without issue.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]
It depends, save or drop varies with the situation.  Trainer John Farnam relates of LEOS getting down to only one mag from doing automatic speed reloads after Katrina.  Sometimes train for speed, sometimes for retention.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#22]
If you've run the mag empty and you're still in the fight, drop it. If you have cover and want to top off you could retain the mag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]
A instructor told me, don't worry about mags, empty full, whatever, if you win the fight you got all the time in the world to collect them back up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Drop empties on the deck.
If someone is bringing you loose ammo, they can bring you a mag.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it depends on whether you're shooting or "training."  

I do a lot more shooting than "training," but I'm certainly capable with my weapon when I carry it as such.  For example, I just ran 50 rounds through a G19 intermittently as I performed a little tractor maintenance.  I shot a little, re-tuned my grip and trigger pull, and had fun.  Certainly not training, but I had fun and I didn't drop my magazines.

To me, it's about balancing the interest between:

1.  The recognized increase in training efficacy when I drop my magazines...in the miniscule likelihood that I'll ever be in a gunfight, have a pistol, draw it, and be able to participate.

VS

2.  Keeping my equipment nice...because it's also a hobby, and I also like having nice shit.

Yes, it's possible that I'll one day be in a gunfight, where I'll be a fraction of a second too slow because I didn't train to drop my magazines.  It's also possible that I'll win the lottery even though I buy about two tickets per year.  

Right or wrong, shooting is more about enjoyment for me than being a badass, so I choose option 2...and my magazines are in great condition.  

With that said, I sure as hell wouldn't want me shooting at...me, under any circumstance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As a cop, I've always trained to drop mags, whether using rifle or pistol. A co-worker and I recently were discussing active shooters and the response to them when this very subject came up. My co-worker retains his magazines, contrary to my practice. When asked, he stated that he was trained to do so with several principles in mind:

1: don't leave a trail of empty mags that can be followed

2: any ammo resupply is likely to be boxed ammo, not loaded magazines.

The second reason makes MUCH more sense to me than the first, since I might even desire to leave a trail that can be followed by other responders.

This is still a subject I'm on the fence on, myself.
View Quote

Does he pick up his spent brass- that will leave a bigger trail
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

it looks cool in the movies. first doesn't it guarantee to get sand in your mag. does it save any time in a Saturday competition? in general when i have emptied a mag i remove it and place it in pocket. so when i grab the other mag for practice its got a place to go. and not in the interest of being fast just by habit at a slow safe pace.  im new to shooting in general. in my interest of maybe doing some amateur competition. i see these you tube cowboys dropping there mags.  whats the proper training for a  reload in real world situations? what is best for competition?
View Quote

Holy shit this is a genuine question.

I'm floored.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Magazines are disposable. Once folks realize this, life becomes much easier. For many, however, these things are far more jewelry than tool.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Magazines are disposable. Once folks realize this, life becomes much easier. For many, however, these things are far more jewelry than tool.
View Quote

This... I do not differentiate between training or competition.... for me. there one in the same... When a gun goes black... I get ammo into it  the fastest way I can, and that means hitting the mag release and letting that empty drop... At that point, I don't care about it... it's not or ever going to do anything for me... its all about a fresh mag full of ammo.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Truth...I have never understood the whole "training mag" theory..Either it works, or it doesnt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Truth...I have never understood the whole "training mag" theory..Either it works, or it doesnt.
View Quote
Training mags mean you don't use them for defense purposed guns for reasons besides defense.

You don't want to find out that your mag doesn't work when you really really need it to.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Training mags mean you don't use them for defense purposed guns for reasons besides defense.    

You don't want to find out that your mag doesn't work when you really really need it to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what it means, and I still thinks its a stupid theory.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mags are the most common point of failure for semi-auto firearms. Why increase the odds of failure in a self defense situation to save ~$25-$50?

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#34]

I have 6-10 mags for each and every pistol I own...and each and every mag gets used the same. When it quits working, it gets fixed or trashed. I will be damned if I am going to carry a mag that I havent used on the range to great lengths.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have 6-10 mags for each and every pistol I own...and each and every mag gets used the same. When it quits working, it gets fixed or trashed. I will be damned if I am going to carry a mag that I havent used on the range to great lengths.
View Quote
No one is saying not to use your mags. The point is to not have it quit working when you just pulled it out of your pants to defend yourself.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mags used just for training/competition can get dropped in the mud/dirt/sand/pavement and you don't have to worry about dirty mags jamming or dented feed lips causing malfunctions.  I don't always clean my competition mags after every use and don't thoroughly inspect each one carefully examining feed lips, etc.  Any mag that's going to be used for CCW/home defense will get thoroughly tested and then used every once in a while to make sure it's still in good working order, but I don't mix them in with competition mags.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#37]
This is the reason Glock sells the blue floorplates for their magazines.

Practice magazines get a blue floorplate.  You shoot them, drop them in the sand, clean them, shoot them, drop them on concrete, each and every time just punching the mag release and finding a full one.  Sometimes they get stepped on, bent, or otherwise wrecked.  So what.

CCW-carrying-duty magazines get shot and tested.  Then you load them for use and make damn sure nothing happens to them.  You should have two or three sets of 3 or 4 duty mags so that the sets can be rotated periodically along with rotating ammo.  Rotating ammo means you shoot the stuff and get new from a box.

You practice to drop the blue mags.  You baby your duty mags so you know they work.  The sets never mix.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been dropping my Sig duty mags on the concrete range floor for 13 years now. I can only think of one time where the baseplate came off.  No other mag issues. There have been a number of guns with broken extractors and internal springs though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#39]
That a fellow can do something way less than bright for a long time without getting his rear cheeks bit by Mr. Murphy is a fact.  

But with magazines on concrete, it is a matter of when, not if, some damage will happen.  

Wise fellows do not risk damage to their duty magazines.

Even the dumbest of instructors tell students to bring a 3'x3' or 4'x4' piece of thick carpet to a new shooter's class where most people only have a few magazines so that the only ones they have are not likely to be damaged.

(The carpet goes in front of the shooter's feet and the magazines land on it.)
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That a fellow can do something way less than bright for a long time without getting his rear cheeks bit by Mr. Murphy is a fact.  

But with magazines on concrete, it is a matter of when, not if, some damage will happen.  

Wise fellows do not risk damage to their duty magazines.

Even the dumbest of instructors tell students to bring a 3'x3' or 4'x4' piece of thick carpet to a new shooter's class where most people only have a few magazines so that the only ones they have are not likely to be damaged.

(The carpet goes in front of the shooter's feet and the magazines land on it.)
View Quote
You do know mags are expendable right? Should I carry a piece of carpet while I walk around the streets too? I carry at least one spare mag when not working. Not inspecting your gear after a range trip and only having the mags that came with the gun are the unwise things.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I say drop them.  My competition XD has had 40k shot through it spread across 12 magazines.  Each magazine has been dropped in competition somewhere around 300 times.  They get drop on everything from grass to gravel, to concrete and mud.  I have had magazines stomped into the mud so badly by the RO behind me that we had problems finding it and when we did I had to slosh it around in a deep puddle just to get it clean enough I could dissemble and clean properly.  I have had extremely few magazine related problems despite the abuse.  They get cleaned and inspected on a regular bases.

My carry gun does not get shot in competition nearly as often but when it does the magazines get dropped.  Those same magazine get carried.  They get cleaned and inspected but carried none-the-less.  If you are inspecting your equipment I see no reason to differentiate between competition and carry/duty.  But each to his own you have to sleep with it at night...
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Certainly you can clean mags that get dirtied and they're no worse for the wear (dirt). However, when those of you that are "inspecting" your mags, are you getting out a micrometer and making sure that nothing changed?  Or just eyeballing them and saying "looks good"?

And maybe you have dropped your mags countless times and never had any damage to them. Mags are certainly easily replaceable, but I wouldn't say "disposable". Latex gloves, condoms and Kleenex are disposable. And if you don't care if you're risking a malfunction in a tool that may be needed to save your life, why should I care?  But telling someone who doesn't know incorrect information is irresponsible. I've had an AR mag that looked fine end up having bent feed lips and induce failures during a 3 gun match. It only cost me a bunch of time in "misses" on one stage. What if I was defending myself or my family?  

The best suggestion is, in fact, to maintain a set of mags strictly for carry/defensive use. These mags should be tested for proper function and rechecked periodically, but should not be dropped. When you see a good deal on mags, buy a couple, test them and include them as carry mags, relegating older carry mags to training/competition use. If someone chooses to do otherwise, that's their choice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Certainly you can clean mags that get dirtied and they're no worse for the wear (dirt). However, when those of you that are "inspecting" your mags, are you getting out a micrometer and making sure that nothing changed?  Or just eyeballing them and saying "looks good"?

And maybe you have dropped your mags countless times and never had any damage to them. Mags are certainly easily replaceable, but I wouldn't say "disposable". Latex gloves, condoms and Kleenex are disposable. And if you don't care if you're risking a malfunction in a tool that may be needed to save your life, why should I care?  But telling someone who doesn't know incorrect information is irresponsible. I've had an AR mag that looked fine end up having bent feed lips and induce failures during a 3 gun match. It only cost me a bunch of time in "misses" on one stage. What if I was defending myself or my family?  

The best suggestion is, in fact, to maintain a set of mags strictly for carry/defensive use. These mags should be tested for proper function and rechecked periodically, but should not be dropped. When you see a good deal on mags, buy a couple, test them and include them as carry mags, relegating older carry mags to training/competition use. If someone chooses to do otherwise, that's their choice.
View Quote

I don't buy it.  What is the magic level of testing that is sufficient to prove reliability and robustness and yet is not putting you at additional risk of a malfunction?

I had a new AR magazine that failed on is second range session and yet had never been dropped.   It was clearly a bad magazine and had I babied it a bit more it might have failed me at a time where its failure would have cost me something important.

If your magazines can't take the abuses of training, practice and competition.  What confidence can you have in them when the pucker factor is high and the abuse is likely to be higher?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I let empty mags rest wherever they fall. Sometimes I catch them on the way out and sometimes I step on them without noticing.

I have yet to have one crap the bed on me. Glock mags are durable. I am aware that mags are most often the week point in pistols, and I think the Glock mag is a large part of why those pistols work so reliably.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a feeling the folks in the "never drop your carry mags" camp are also residents in the "Clean your gun every time its fired," and "Look at the the awesome fit and finish" camps.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I don't buy it.  What is the magic level of testing that is sufficient to prove reliability and robustness and yet is not putting you at additional risk of a malfunction?

I had a new AR magazine that failed on is second range session and yet had never been dropped.   It was clearly a bad magazine and had I babied it a bit more it might have failed me at a time where its failure would have cost me something important.

If your magazines can't take the abuses of training, practice and competition.  What confidence can you have in them when the pucker factor is high and the abuse is likely to be higher?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. How many test fire their guns again after cleaning? How does one know that they didn't screw something up that may induce a failure. I've seen extractors break at the range. How are you supposed to prevent that from happening? My reasoning for doing it my way is mindset. I don't ever want to be concerned about dropping a $50 mag if I'm in the middle of a gunfight. You fight how you train and the more variables you introduce the more problems you are likely to have. I know my pistol and mags have been run through the ringer and have no concerns carrying them daily.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I just have a set of magazines that get used for competition and therefore get dropped more. Otherwise I'm not worried about my others getting dropped, my comp mags are just getting a bit more hard use.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Mags are a disposible item, when they quit working buy more.  

For my carry gun, I have a bunch of training mags, that I beat the crap out of and carry mags that have been tested but don't get beat to hell.  

For my competition gun, I have dryfire mags as they get absolutely tore up from an hour of dryfire daily.  Practice mags for practice, and match magazines for when I shoot matches.  This way I know that the match mags are in decent condition and my practice and dryfire mags get the most wear.  When the dryfire mags stop seatinging in the gun, the practice mags become dryfire mags and the match mags become practice mags and new mags get used for matches.  

For work, when we issue guns I got my department to issue duty mags, and training mags.  This way they can beat up the training mags and not have to worry about damaging their duty mags.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's some of what I do, which works for practicing mag changes, testing new mags, and practicing shots that often crop up in my 3 guns:
Load a training mag with two rounds, load in pistol and make hot then decock. Load a carry mag full (I run a .40 P229, so I only get 12) and keep in mag pouch/holster on belt. On 3 steel plates, double tap the middle, reload (dropping the training mag). Double tap 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3.  Refill the magazines the same and start again, this time doing double tap, reload and then strong only double tap 1, 2, 3 then weak double tap 1, 2, 3. Or maybe I'll work 6 in the first mag and have a speed plate a little further away. Start with 6 on the speed plate, reload and go to double taps. Or set the plates out further to simulate a plate rack. You can easily train and use carry mags without dropping them, while still practicing dropping mags free.

If I ever were to be in a DGU, I'm confident I would drop mags. If I survived, I would (at some point) run the mags through their paces before carrying again, or relegate them to training and buy new.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince any of you what you're doing is wrong. I'm trying to tell the OP, who asked to be informed, what the best approach to avoid mag related malfunctions is. Telling him to drop his mags freely over any surface and not worry about causing damage because it's never happened to you is imprudent.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Here's some of what I do, which works for practicing mag changes, testing new mags, and practicing shots that often crop up in my 3 guns:

Load a training mag with two rounds, load in pistol and make hot then decock. Load a carry mag full (I run a .40 P229, so I only get 12) and keep in mag pouch/holster on belt. On 3 steel plates, double tap the middle, reload (dropping the training mag). Double tap 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3.  Refill the magazines the same and start again, this time doing double tap, reload and then strong only double tap 1, 2, 3 then weak double tap 1, 2, 3. Or maybe I'll work 6 in the first mag and have a speed plate a little further away. Start with 6 on the speed plate, reload and go to double taps. Or set the plates out further to simulate a plate rack. You can easily train and use carry mags without dropping them, while still practicing dropping mags free.

If I ever were to be in a DGU, I'm confident I would drop mags. If I survived, I would (at some point) run the mags through their paces before carrying again, or relegate them to training and buy new.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince any of you what you're doing is wrong. I'm trying to tell the OP, who asked to be informed, what the best approach to avoid mag related malfunctions is. Telling him to drop his mags freely over any surface and not worry about causing damage because it's never happened to you is imprudent.
View Quote
I'm not against someone having separate training and carry mags. I'm against changing your training regimen and/or thought process because you don't want to drop a mag. Carry mags should still be thoroughly tested before being carried. Malfunction drills should also be conducted with dummy rounds, etc.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top