Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/3/2014 10:21:08 AM EDT

The Canik TP9SA is the second firearm in the "TP" series from Canik to hit US shores.  The original was largely based on the Walther P99 series of firearms but Canik listened to user feedback and redesigned a lot of features on the gun for the current offering.  Here's what I've found with it so far...

Reliability

Reliability is the number one factor for me when it comes to firearms; if everything else about a gun is great but it’s not reliable then it’s not a gun I want to own. The TP9SA has had 300 rounds to date through it and had one "bobble" of sorts.  On the last round of the first magazine through the gun it had a stovepipe but hasn't had the slightest issue since.    Rounds used to date have been 115gr Minuteman Munitions, 115gr Wolf, and 124gr Hornady XTPs.

Ergonomics

The gun feels very good in the hand.   It comes with interchangeable backstraps and has very good texturing on the grip panels as well aggressive texturing on the front and backstraps.   Trigger reach is about average for polymer framed duty pistols and most users should find it very comfortable.

Trigger

This is one of the areas where the gun really shines.   The trigger is one of the best of any striker fired gun on the market.   It's easily on par with the VP9, Sig 320, Walther PPQ, and Steyr's offerings.   It has little resistance during take up, a very crisp break right at 4 pounds, and has a tactile and audible reset.

Miscellaneous

The gun comes with a ton of extras including: a "Serpa-esque" holster, cleaning rod/brush, and 2x 18 round MecGar magazines.   It also features a 4.5'' cold hammer forged barrel, reversible magazine release, steel 3 dot sights, and a nice even Cerakote finish.   It will be offered in several colors down the road but is currently only being imported in black.

The thing that has a lot of folks excited about the gun is the price point.   MSRP in the USA is under $400 and the street price will likely be in the low to mid $300s once the initial rush slows down.    For that amount of money it really is a very attractive pistol suitable for home defense or duty use.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Good review, thanks. I have one of the older ones and it's been a good gun. Since the Ruger P97 was discontinued, I'm glad I again have a reliable $325 9mm to suggest for budget buyers.

ETA: Yeah, I meant the Ruger P95.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
how did you get one of these already?  who is stocking them?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice review.

That looks like a solid budget 9mm.  I wish I had a use for one.  My Canik C-100 has been great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Good range report.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm trying to make up an excuse for one. Might be my first trunk gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

might want to re-think it.  It has no double action and when decocked the trigger goes dead.  Not cool
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

might want to re-think it.  It has no double action and when decocked the trigger goes dead.  Not cool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds ideal to me
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Disappointing that it doesn't use the Beretta mags.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#9]
How do you feel about the whole Beretta mag issue?

I thought that would be a main selling point and was really interested.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#10]
own a dremel?  re-create the mag catch and you are GTG.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Good review as always.

What I don't get is the sudden interest in the Walther P99 clones.

The original has been on the market since the 90's and comes in the full size, and a compact, is utterly reliable and quite accurate, and only a small group
of knowledgeable enthusiasts on this side of the Atlantic own them. (It's very popular in Europe as a duty pistol).

Why all the attention now?  Is it based totally on price?

What gives?

And I'm not buying the paddle mag release thing, as people are tripping over their tongues to get hold of the HK VP9, it's paddle release not withstanding.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good review as always.

What I don't get is the sudden interest in the Walther P99 clones.

The original has been on the market since the 90's and comes in the full size, and a compact, is utterly reliable and quite accurate, and only a small group
of knowledgeable enthusiasts on this side of the Atlantic own them. (It's very popular in Europe as a duty pistol).

Why all the attention now?  Is it based totally on price?

What gives?

And I'm not buying the paddle mag release thing, as people are tripping over their tongues to get hold of the HK VP9, it's paddle release not withstanding.
View Quote

I'd guess price. I shot the original TP9 and wasn't impressed with how bulky it was or the trigger. The SA seems a little more refined so I may have to take a look at one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
For me it's the price point if low $300 and with all the improvements. That said I have enough pistols and don't really have a need for this. Just neat what it does at a potentially low $300 range. To think I could get 4 or 5 of these for the money I put into my 9mm 1911.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm interested in one as a truck gun / range toy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
That mag looks extremely similar in mag capacity, mag angle, and mag release position to the Sig P226 mag.  Do you have a P226 mag you can try in it to verify if it works?

I know they're not as prolific as the Beretta M9/92 series mags, but it would salvage some mag interoperability for people who own P226s.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Great review. When can I come down to shoot yours?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
but it would salvage some mag interoperability for people who own P226s.
View Quote

If you own a P226, odds are slim you'll stoop down to a sketchy $300 TP9
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reserved for pics of my P226 and my TP9-SA

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?  Some of us just like to collect great handguns and the TP9SA looks like a good one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, are you new to guns? Most gun owners I know have all sorts of guns. I have a Les Baer, five H&Ks and many other handguns over $800. If I could only take a couple guns to the range with me, my Canik Stingray would probably be one of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, I have a 226 (and other solid pistols/rifles).  Picking up reliable quality at ~$350 is just a nice exception to the norm.

Not sure what's sketchy about considering a pistol (from a manufacturer with state and agency contracts) that's getting decent reviews.  Plus some (myself included) just like to pick up something different, especially when 'different' isn't code for junk.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#22]
what's sketchy is the first gen's trigger was abysmal and this ones trigger goes dead when you decock it rather than going DA.  Pointless.  If you really want to pickup an inexpensive good 9mm Century just got a buttload of older S&W's, CZ75's, and FEG HP clones starting at $219 on up to $339.  The FEG PJK and HP clones are all $219 + shipping in very good condition.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Buds gun shop has the tp9sa in stock. I have 2 on the way

TP9SA
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
what's sketchy is the first gen's trigger was abysmal and this ones trigger goes dead when you decock it rather than going DA.  Pointless.  If you really want to pickup an inexpensive good 9mm Century just got a buttload of older S&W's, CZ75's, and FEG HP clones starting at $219 on up to $339.  The FEG PJK and HP clones are all $219 + shipping in very good condition.
View Quote

I have all of those that you mentioned.  Still getting this one too.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be fair, this thread isn’t about the 1st gen trigger though.  

Decocker's pointless how?  For self defense?  If so, that's true.  I don't need this for HD though.  People buy imperfect range toys all the time.

You’re comparing older used pistols vs NIB built to ISO 9000 standards.  I've owned old HPs, CZs, etc.  Love em.  This isn't about needing something cheap.  It’s an odd Walther clone, sweet trigger, potentially reliable, accurate...which happens to be cheap.  Big difference.  Sweet, I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Stores are starting to get these in today for those of you waiting.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you able to try a P226 mag in yours to see if it works?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is the price similar to the original model?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#29]
$335 cash price at Buds
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#30]
The dead trigger/no DA  makes no sense.  I have shot the PT9 and it is an outstanding firearm, this just doesn't make sense.
What, you chamber a round, decock and then what? Re-rack? Calling bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Calling bullshit.
View Quote

I dunno, plouffe had his hands on one and reported it as such.  Doubt he would lie.  It is fucking stupid to design it that way though...very stupid
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I dunno, plouffe had his hands on one and reported it as such.  Doubt he would lie.  It is fucking stupid to design it that way though...very stupid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calling bullshit.

Don't know Plouffe and meant no disrespect but something is flat out wrong here.  Either a mall functioning gun or...I don't know what, but know way
was this second version designed that way....well unless a liberal designed it, in which case it wouldn't have a firing pin.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't know Plouffe and meant no disrespect but something is flat out wrong here.  Either a mall functioning gun or...I don't know what, but know way
was this second version designed that way....well unless a liberal designed it, in which case it wouldn't have a firing pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calling bullshit.

Well that's thing.  How do you classify that?   I don't know.   The round fired.  There were no more rounds in the mag to feed.   I don't work for Canik nor do I care how many they sell.  I accurately reported (and showed it on video) what happened.  Not sure what else y'all want me to say here.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The dead trigger/no DA  makes no sense.  I have shot the PT9 and it is an outstanding firearm, this just doesn't make sense.
What, you chamber a round, decock and then what? Re-rack? Calling bullshit.
View Quote

It sounds like the equivalent of pulling the backstrap off a PPS and disengaging the internals.  With the PPS, all you do is replace the backstrap and then do a half rack of the slide.  It doesn't require a full rack of the slide, meaning you could rack it just enough to reset the internals and not eject the round that might be in the chamber.  It's quick, and quite easy.  It sounds like you would only have to do a half rack to reset the striker after de-cocking it.  Basically a non-issue.  You wouldn't chamber a round and then de-cock it, but if you did, you could easily get it back online without ejecting the round.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Decocking is probably just to allow disassembly without pulling the trigger, to salve the butthurt for the people who get bent out of shape about that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well that's thing.  How do you classify that?   I don't know.   The round fired.  There were no more rounds in the mag to feed.   I don't work for Canik nor do I care how many they sell.  I accurately reported (and showed it on video) what happened.  Not sure what else y'all want me to say here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calling bullshit.

Ok, let's do a quick recap of this thread.
Was that you in the video?
DWcopple said the gun had a dead trigger/ no DA when put into decock...can you confirm that?  
He also said the first generations trigger was "abysmal" which IMO is far from accurate, yet proceeds to push the CZ 75B which of course truly does have an abysmal stock trigger.
As a matter of fact, if that is the case, then this gun is a SA only.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Hi, Ive been lurking here for a long time, first post.  If you go to Canik55's website using Google Chrome to translate, you will see there are 2 new versions of the TP9 in both 9mm and .40.  The first is a second generation of the TP9 with DA/SA trigger and 4 inch barrel. The second is the TP9 SA with single action only trigger and 4.5 in barrel. They are essentially the same slide with length being the only real difference. The decocker has no real use on the SA other than to decock before breaking down the weapon instead of pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
DWcopple said the gun had a dead trigger/ no DA when put into decock...can you confirm that?  
He also said the first generations trigger was "abysmal" which IMO is far from accurate, yet proceeds to push the CZ 75B which of course truly does have an abysmal stock trigger.
View Quote

when have I ever pushed a CZ75B???  The first gen trigger is awful, there is no debate.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Stop bitching about the decocker. How easy is it to set the trigger on an HK? Barely have to move the slide, you're not fucking racking it. Get off the pedestal and admit the tp9 is a solid gun. With the quality control and standards of this firearm, for -$350, I can't believe you're bitching about the decocker
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
$335 cash price at Buds
View Quote

BS. Where is the link?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#41]
It's for sale on Grabagun.com 330.49 plus $5.00 shipping
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

BS. Where is the link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$335 cash price at Buds

BS. Where is the link?

Buds has the Century version, if you want that sweet Canik55 dolphin on the grip, you are gonna have to be patient.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/95361.jpg

Buds has the Century version, if you want that sweet Canik55 dolphin on the grip, you are gonna have to be patient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$335 cash price at Buds

BS. Where is the link?

Where is the link!!??
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

when have I ever pushed a CZ75B???  The first gen trigger is awful, there is no debate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"what's sketchy is the first gen's trigger was abysmal and this ones trigger goes dead when you decock it rather than going DA. Pointless. If you really want to pickup an inexpensive good 9mm Century just got a buttload of older S&W's, CZ75's,"

I think you typed that.
Now don't get me wrong, I happen to be a huge fan of CZ's,  I have a P01, P06 and 75BD...but the stock triggers are very gritty.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calling bullshit.

Yes
Yes, you need to move the slide about half an inch to reset the trigger on the TP9SA
I don't think the TP-9 trigger is terrible and I discussed it a good bit in my review of it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#46]
In essence the original was the Walther P99 AS trigger system.

The new model is a modified P99 Q trigger system, only with a fully pre-cocked single action trigger, instead of the Walther P99 Q's double action trigger.

On the Walther P99 Q, the decocker button is smaller and only used for disassembly.   Canik, for better or worse, used the larger decocker button from the original AS trigger system.

This is a design flaw, that could get the unwary killed.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Where is the link!!??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$335 cash price at Buds

BS. Where is the link?

Where is the link!!??

It's in the thread's first page.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95361
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In essence the original was the Walther P99 AS trigger system.

The new model is a modified P99 Q trigger system, only with a fully pre-cocked single action trigger, instead of the Walther P99 Q's double action trigger.

On the Walther P99 Q, the decocker button is smaller and only used for disassembly.   Canik, for better or worse, used the larger decocker button from the original AS trigger system.

This is a design flaw, that could get the unwary killed.

View Quote

Train like you fight.  If you have a misfire due to bad ammo in a striker fired gun, your immediate action will be to rack the slide, train your sights back on target, and pull the trigger again.  That goes for all striker fired guns, from the cheapest and least proven to the most expensive and combat proven.  I really can't think of any that have a double strike capability.  If by some weird chance you decocked this gun, your immediate action will be to rack the slide, train your sights back on target, and pull the trigger again.  I don't get the big problem here.  You'll debate the reason you had to perform an immediate action after the gunfight is over.  While it's happening, it won't matter what caused it - only that you can overcome it and get back in the fight.  Clear your problem and continue to fight.  

It's not like a slight brush with a feather or a gentle tickle to the decocker will decock the pistol.  It takes definitive effort to do so.  I think as more of the doubters get one in their hand, they'll realize just how ridiculous this argument is.  No gun is for everyone.  If it's not your cup of tea, move on to something that is.  You'll be happier that way.  If you do see the merits in this particular handgun and are willing to pick one up, I bet you'll be happy with the purchase.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Train like you fight.  If you have a misfire due to bad ammo in a striker fired gun, your immediate action will be to rack the slide, train your sights back on target, and pull the trigger again.  That goes for all striker fired guns
View Quote

FIFY.  The chances of a "second strike" firing a round that the first strike didn't fire are really, really close to zero.

It also doesn't matter what the reason is, whether it's a bad round, slide didn't seat, you forgot to load the pistol, or whatever, regardless of the action type of the pistol do the immediate action drill and get back in the fight.

The decock function is quite possibly just a holdover from the previous model, and sold as a feature for disassembly.  It's stupid and shouldn't be there.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$335 cash price at Buds

BS. Where is the link?

Where is the link!!??

It's in the thread's first page.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95361

Thanks. It's VIP only, which makes it useless. When I looked for it on the site it's not listed under Canik or Century or by the model name.

Thanks anyways.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top