Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 2:41:57 PM EDT
I have been using a m&p 9c w/o thumb safety for six yrs for cc and hd.

I have wanted a 45 for a long time and have decided to get an m&p.

The 45 will be used for hd and range fun. I would like to keep it in the night stand w/o a holster. My concern is that if I am reaching for it in the dark and under stress it would be nice to have a safety so I can't nd as easily.

So do I go with a safety and train to use it, or go without to be similar to my carry gun?
If I go w/o I could keep it in a holster I guess. Just slows the process a bit if it is needed for bump in the night use.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with what you know and are use too. If no safety is good enough for carry it should be good enough for a bed side gun too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
no safety
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't be pressured by the Glock Leg crowd.   If you think a safety works better for you, just get it, and get comfortable with deactivating it.  

Personally I don't like a safety, but like a pistol with a hammer on it so I can have  my thumb on the hammer and know nothing unexpected is happening as I reach for the gun or holster it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You are the best safety.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a guy that happens to prefer thumb safeties - it's a byproduct of having shot single actions more than anything else for a good 20 plus years.

That being said, since you carry and are presumably mentally and physically conditioned to use a gun without one, I wouldn't do it.
A bump in the night is not the time to be trying to remember to add a unique step into your manipulation of a firearm.

Consistency is simple, simple is good.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
No safety. Don't over think it keep the same manual of arms.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave the chamber empty and rack it when you have the proper grip.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The M&P safety is tiny and not positive enough.  And I can't think of anything more confusing than having similar guns with a different manual of arms.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with your muscle memory.
I am so used to shooting safety equipped pistols that I try to sweep the safety off on my non-safety equipped pistols.
I strongly prefer 1911 and CZ75 pistols, but I carry a non-safety equipped M&P at work.
I still try to sweep the safety off on every draw of that M&P... It's habit.
If you are not in that habit, a thumb safety could cost you critical factions of a second.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to think a manual safety was a big deal breaker. While I still don't own one, actually yes I do - an anniversary Colt 1911 but it's range use only, since I've been doing 3-gun and my carbine and shotgun have manual safeties, I'm confident I could adjust if I had to.

So my answer would've been "no safety" several years ago, now I'll say "whatever works best for you."
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a guy that happens to prefer thumb safeties - it's a byproduct of having shot single actions more than anything else for a good 20 plus years.

That being said, since you carry and are presumably mentally and physically conditioned to use a gun without one, I wouldn't do it.
A bump in the night is not the time to be trying to remember to add a unique step into your manipulation of a firearm.

View Quote

I agree with this entirely.  My nightstand gun is a 1911, and that is what I normally carry.

If you normally carry a gun without a thumb safety then keep the nightstand gun in a holster and get one without a thumb safety.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The M&P safety is tiny and not positive enough.  And I can't think of anything more confusing than having similar guns with a different manual of arms.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you everyone

I'll go w/o to keep things the same

I recently had a dream where I had a bad situation and needed to shoot but couldn't seem to get the trigger to pull no matter how hard I tried.

I appreciate your replies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#14]
No safety.  

Why the hell do you think that you will ND under stress?  Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.  You are much more likely to forget to take the safety off under stress.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I pulled my safety off of my M&P before I left the gun store.

Use a good holster
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#16]
For a carry gun I like to have a safety if its a option.

In case of gun grab  the extra second may help you draw your bug

also a fan of mag safety like on the 3rd gen S&W one of the best LE pistols made
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No safety.  

Why the hell do you think that you will ND under stress?  Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.  You are much more likely to forget to take the safety off under stress.
View Quote

strange
I was taught the safety is for when bad guys grab your pistol.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For a carry gun I like to have a safety if its a option.

In case of gun grab  the extra second may help you draw your bug

also a fan of mag safety like on the 3rd gen S&W one of the best LE pistols made
View Quote

One of the best pistols made period
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Thumb safety, but I like my single actions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Safety or no safety makes no difference to me.
I just don't use it on my shield(but if I wanted it I got it), my other MP's don't have them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This logic is what kept me focused while waiting for the safey-less Shield. Now I have it and I am glad I did. Several times, I almost gave in and got the model with the safety....but that little voice that I've learned to listen to kept repeating what Mister-Z said damn near verbatim.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This logic is what kept me focused while waiting for the safey-less Shield. Now I have it and I am glad I did. Several times, I almost gave in and got the model with the safety....but that little voice that I've learned to listen to kept repeating what Mister-Z said damn near verbatim.
View Quote

I don't follow the logic.  The "safetyless" shield is just the same shield without the safety.  Internally it's no different.   Just because the safety lever is there does not mean you have to use it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#23]
My personal opinion? No safety model with a Vanguard covering the trigger guard attached to the nightstand. Grab the pistol and it'll come off on its own.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/vanguard-2-lanyard-kit/
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My personal opinion? No safety model with a Vanguard covering the trigger guard attached to the nightstand. Grab the pistol and it'll come off on its own.
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/uxoc9dc/products/90/images/439/RCS1__90321.1405320641.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
View Quote

Excellent
Just what I was looking for, don't have to worry about getting ahold of the trigger in the dark..
Picked up the new 45 today, no safety.
Can't wait to get home and give it a go.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I recently had a dream where I had a bad situation and needed to shoot but couldn't seem to get the trigger to pull no matter how hard I tried.
View Quote

As well...

I vote for same manual of arms in HD and SD guns.  Recreational pieces, doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd go with what you know and are use too. If no safety is good enough for carry it should be good enough for a bed side gun too.
View Quote

We have a winner here!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with you Ken and I totally get what your saying above... But most of us that have 1911's; also have pistols like M&P's (sans safety) & Glocks too, that differ in manual of arms. I use an M&P40c for carry 99% of the time, an M&P40 (midsize) for upstairs/nightstand, and a 1911 for the downstairs home defense pistol rotation. It hasn't caused me any problems when drawing/firing/IDPA but I also train 1-2+ times a month with each style of pistol along with my AR's. If I didn't have a special place in my heart for a 1911 my handguns would all be DAO without safeties however... OP, I don't know what to tell you other than you can have an M&P with a safety if you want with other guns that don't but you need to practice with all of them. It would be better to either all pistols have safeties, or not have any handguns with safeties and train the same for manual of arms I feel like.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I am used to 1911's and Hi Powers, so I say safety for me. Since you are used to pistols without a safety, I say stick with what you are used to.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/uxoc9dc/products/90/images/439/RCS1__90321.1405320641.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
View Quote

Or if you use a light, get an Armordillo Concealment X-Fer.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I would not even consider leaving a striker fired gun with no safety loaded and unholstered on or in a night stand.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/dgfyw.yxpnt/v/vspfiles/photos/X-FER-2.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/dgfyw.yxpnt/v/vspfiles/photos/X-FER-2.jpg

I have a custom made  IWB-L that Tony JM made me for my P30S 9mm / TLR-1.

how well does this holster work when carried most of the day. Is it rugged enough.  

what about re holstering?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#32]
OP should have clarified "manual" safety because all firearms have safety features.  Even a holster has a
safety feature on it.  I myself do not own a handgun that has a manual safety and all of my "out of safe" pistols
are chambered.  That said, I'm going to dice it up a little.  Does the 92FS have a safety or a decocker?  Was it designed
to be carried with the firing pin active or not active?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP should have clarified "manual" safety because all firearms have safety features.  Even a holster has a
safety feature on it.  I myself do not own a handgun that has a manual safety and all of my "out of safe" pistols
are chambered.  That said, I'm going to dice it up a little.  Does the 92FS have a safety or a decocker?  Was it designed
View Quote

The 92 has both a safety AND a decocker. It's up to you decide how you want to use it. Also you're the first person to say he should have clarified "manual" safety. No need to be a term Nazi. Everyone else obviously understood.

Edit: to address the OPs question. I don't get why everyone feels so strongly about having the same manual of arms on a pistol. Does your AR and shotgun have the same manual of arms? No, training is what matters. Same goes for retention holsters and/or pistol safeties.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I grew up shooting 1911s.

I prefer a safety.

But it is not something that would turn me off to a pistol if it did not have a safety. I own Glocks as well

Biggest reason I prefer safeties is so I can ride my thumb on top of it. It gets me higher on the gun

I would never want a slide mounted safety though
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Manual safeties are not there to prevent the operator from pulling the trigger when they didn't mean to.  It's there to prevent a mechanical failure from causing a discharge, or a foreign object from pulling the trigger.

If you need a manual safety to prevent yourself from pulling the trigger when you didn't really mean to, then what you need isn't a manual safety, it's more or better training.

I know these thoughts never go over well, but it's the truth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The 92 has both a safety AND a decocker. It's up to you decide how you want to use it. Also you're the first person to say he should have clarified "manual" safety. No need to be a term Nazi. Everyone else obviously understood.

Edit: to address the OPs question. I don't get why everyone feels so strongly about having the same manual of arms on a pistol. Does your AR and shotgun have the same manual of arms? No, training is what matters. Same goes for retention holsters and/or pistol safeties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A term Nazi?  That's a new one and maybe I was being a little obtuse but I was making a point and I have news for you, nothing is obvious these days. The 92 was designed to have a
decocker and carried in double action.  The military was responsible for turning that decocker into a safety and started requiring servicemen to
carry the firearm with the decocker engaged.  Now that's not to say that some paranoid uneducated person may want to use the decocker as a safety but it's not how the firearm was designed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A term Nazi?  That's a new one and maybe I was being a little obtuse but I was making a point and I have news for you, nothing is obvious these days. The 92 was designed to have a
decocker and carried in double action.  The military was responsible for turning that decocker into a safety and started requiring servicemen to
carry the firearm with the decocker engaged.  Now that's not to say that some paranoid uneducated person may want to use the decocker as a safety but it's not how the firearm was designed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, however not exactly relevant to the OPs question. That's a whole different topic and I don't want to hijack this thread.  And my apologies for the nazi comment. It just bugs me when people correct people over the smallest things that really aren't necessary. It turns people away from websites like this where the extremely knowledgeable folks can help those that need it. Be tactful not an asshole.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Agreed, however not exactly relevant to the OPs question. That's a whole different topic and I don't want to hijack this thread.  And my apologies for the nazi comment. It just bugs me when people correct people over the smallest things that really aren't necessary. It turns people away from websites like this where the extremely knowledgeable folks can help those that need it. Be tactful not an asshole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safetys are a touchy subject with me.  It drives me crazy that supposed "responsible" gun owners think they are going to pull
a firearm out in a high stress situation, rack the slide, flip the safety off and proceed to defend themselves. Hell some guns won't even
rack with the safety on. Handling of any firearm has to be a muscle memory process.  If a safety is going to be used, it needs to be coordinated and practiced EVERY time the firearm
is used.  A safety can't be used indiscriminately, otherwise when the time comes, one is going to "forget" and then it's too late.
That's not to say that there aren't those that will be able to perform flawlessly using a safety, but the majority of those out there
carrying firearms, do so, without the confidence in themselves and/or the firearm they are carrying.  Hence the simplicity of a revolver.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Nein.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/user/tboneguy915/media/A62FEB80-D2F3-461E-B4F2-501E7827E8B4_zpsuclzt4ub.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/A62FEB80-D2F3-461E-B4F2-501E7827E8B4_zpsuclzt4ub.jpg</a>

Nein.
View Quote

"Day 32:  They still have no idea I'm not actually a sheep."
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#41]
no safety

good poll...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/user/tboneguy915/media/A62FEB80-D2F3-461E-B4F2-501E7827E8B4_zpsuclzt4ub.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/A62FEB80-D2F3-461E-B4F2-501E7827E8B4_zpsuclzt4ub.jpg</a>

Nein.

That picture is from another thread where someone said that if you shoot Glocks "you'll hate" the Shield and not be able to shoot it well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That picture is from another thread where someone said that if you shoot Glocks "you'll hate" the Shield and not be able to shoot it well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nein.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I like the safety on my 1911's, makes for a good thumb rest. On my M&P not so much, so no safety on my M&P 9mm. Best safety is always trigger finger control.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh, I always kind of laughed at these as an IWB holster option, but as a tether that pops off to expose the trigger upon drawing from a bag or drawer... now that is a good use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top