Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2014 10:50:21 PM EDT
Looking to get a really nice quality IWB holster for CCW for an HK P30

What material is the best to get?  I see a lot of kydex but also see leather.  Kydex I'd imagine is an easier material to maintain while leather may be more comfortable because it's soft?

What do you guys think of this one, it has a sweat guard & thinner kydex: P30 Nano

I think I do prefer/like how kydex won't collapse & allows for an easier/quicker re-holster.

What about belt loops vs just clip on to the waist band?  I can see how the belt loops offer better retention, but a clip on waist band can be even more low key/profile don't you think?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
G-code incog for kydex
Milt sparks vmII or summer special for leather
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
P30...IMO deserves leather.  If you don't care about the finish on your gun getting worn, then get a kydex or hybrid style
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 3:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Kydex holsters for IWB. I have a BladeTech UCH with a Kydex loop and a Raven Concealment light compatable holster with soft loops for my P30L. Both are very nice holsters. The UCH is much easier to conceal being that it sits lower in my waistband and has a slight cant to it. It's not as easy to draw from though. If the two different styles of belt loops, I find the soft loops with snaps much more convenient to take on/off. Personally I'm not of a fan of clip on holsters. I've used them in the past and would never get another...

BladeTech UCH-

Raven Concealment-
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Comp-Tac Minotaur.
Kydex and leather hybrid with adjustable ride hight and cant.  The best of all worlds.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a big hybrid holster fan.  I carry my P30 daily in an Ozark's hybrid and forget that it's there.  I like the Ozark because it's a bit thinner than some of the other hybrid holsters and its made with horse hide. I trimmed it up a bit and I love the way it fits.

ETA: the only downside that I see to my holster is that I can't adjust the retention.  Right now it's fine, but if the leather stretches out after a while, it could be nice to tighten up the tension a bit
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the concept of the hybrids, but Buckshot556 brings up a good point about the finish getting worn with the kydex, the P30 is NOT cheap which is REALLY making me lean towards leather I think.  As it is already the slide release on mine is worn from the original owner using kydex to holster it.  

But then scgebo brings up the point of retention of the weapon once the leather gets worn & broken over time - some of these leathers are $150 and I would want something really nice within that price range I'm sure if I'm going to have it directly on my body.

What does "cant" mean I think I've even seen it mentioned as "FBI cant" - is this a slight tilt to the way the gun will sit IWB when attached to the belt? - if I am correct what benefits does this have over a regular, straight holster?

I think the soft loops & snaps make a lot of sense for easy donning on/off - but 22caliberKIDD why don't you like clip on holsters?

It seems the hybrid that Bullet showed is really nice looking all the way around.

I've seen the horse hide as an upgrade over cow hide on leather holsters, it supposed to repel sweat better than cow right?  Does it do anything else, is it softer etc?

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone over on HKPro suggested Garrett Industries They offer a leather lined kydex - I think this is the best type of hybrid to go with!
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
P30...IMO deserves leather.  If you don't care about the finish on your gun getting worn, then get a kydex or hybrid style
View Quote

Unfortunately, leather holsters also wear the finish of HK's (in a much smaller extent than Kydex, of course).
Moreover, leather holster IWB...in summertime... I don't know...
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, leather holsters also wear the finish of HK's (in a much smaller extent than Kydex, of course).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Milt Sparks VMII Horsehide w/elephant trim works perfectly with my P30.  Summer in TX isn't an issue at all with this combo.  It is so comfortable I forget I'm wearing it at times.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Those Milt Sparks are really nice.  Although I don't know how I feel about elephant skin...

It seems to hold it's shape really well?  Does it collapse at all when you remove the weapon from the holster?

A guy on hkpro said: I like all kydex with a leather backing. Helps keep a hot gun from burning you during a course/higher-volume shooting...especially nice for AIWB.

That sounds beneficial but someone suggested that leather sucks in hot weather (although of course someone contradicted him lol) and says leather is fine in Tx hot weather, although there isn't much humidity there so that would really make leather wear a lot more comfortable compared to a humid environment.  I'm in Ohio, it doesn't get super hot, although we do have some hot summer days here and it does get humid.

I'm thinking leather lined kydex with a leather backer unless someone can convince me to go with a different kind of backer?

The Garret Industries do look really nice - is anyone else doing a leather lined kydex IWB?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like the concept of the hybrids, but Buckshot556 brings up a good point about the finish getting worn with the kydex, the P30 is NOT cheap which is REALLY making me lean towards leather I think.  As it is already the slide release on mine is worn from the original owner using kydex to holster it.  
Kydex is rougher than leather on the finish, but not by much.
The real problem is that grit in the holster on the kydex side acts as an abrasive instead of embedding in the leather.
This issue is more important for highly polished show guns.
For a duty weapon that will rust away in a police evidence room for years if it is actually used to defend my life, I wouldn't give cosmetics a second thought.
CCW guns are by definition, disposable.

If you can't bear to see / afford a specific gun being trashed or taken away until after a trial, carry something else.

But then scgebo brings up the point of retention of the weapon once the leather gets worn & broken over time - some of these leathers are $150 and I would want something really nice within that price range I'm sure if I'm going to have it directly on my body.
Many holsters, both leather and kydex, have adjustable retention.
22caliberKIDD's Blade Tech UCH and my Minotaur have it. The retention adjusters are the extra screws below the trigger guard.

What does "cant" mean I think I've even seen it mentioned as "FBI cant" - is this a slight tilt to the way the gun will sit IWB when attached to the belt? - if I am correct what benefits does this have over a regular, straight holster?
"cant" refers to the angle the gun sits at in the holster.
0 degree cant would have the bore of the pistol pointing straight down at the ground, FBI cant is 15 degrees (IIRC) .

I think the soft loops & snaps make a lot of sense for easy donning on/off - but 22caliberKIDD why don't you like clip on holsters?
I can't speak for 22caliberKIDD, but plastic clips will eventually break if you put the holster on and off a lot. The metal clips will chew up your belt too.
Clips are more trim and hide better when you CCW with the shirt tucked in though.
Under the belt velco clips are king for completely hidden tucked shirt carry, but the inside of the belt needs to have the vecro sewn on and they are the least secure ( load bearing ) of the four different belt attachments ( loop, over the belt clips, under the belt "C " clips, velcro.

It seems the hybrid that Bullet showed is really nice looking all the way around.
Thanks, it's my favorite holster. The clips can be replaced with loops,  " C " clips or velcro tabs that hide under the belt too BTW

I've seen the horse hide as an upgrade over cow hide on leather holsters, it supposed to repel sweat better than cow right?  Does it do anything else, is it softer etc?
Quality cowhide has worked just fine for hundreds of years as gun holsters.
Horsehide over cowhide was a gimmick and excuse invented by holster makers who use shitty cowhide to cut costs. ( Yes! I said it! )
Nowadays, enough BS has been blown around on the subject that many holster makers offer it to customers who insist on having horsehide.
The fact that many of the absolute top shelf custom holster makers refuse to use horsehide at all should be a red flag to discriminating buyers.
Here is a great link on the subject.
LINK

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Leather only for HK's

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

FBI cant stands for Forward Body Incline. Standard FBI cant is 15º. Straight Drop would be 0º forward cant or rake. Straight Drop would make your firearm perfectly vertical on your hip. I prefer around a 18º- 25º cant (depending on holster) at 3:30 position. I have a shoulder impingement and straight drop is extremely uncomfortable for me to draw. The 18º- 25º FBI cant alleviates the discomfort for me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Milt Sparks VMII Horsehide w/elephant trim works perfectly with my P30.  Summer in TX isn't an issue at all with this combo.  It is so comfortable I forget I'm wearing it at times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice holster and entire set!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I have both for my HK45 and for my P7 PSP. I have a Milt Sparks VM2 and a SHTF which is a hybrid. In both cases the hybrid is more comfortable and easier to draw quickly. The leather holster does offer better retention though. The belt loops are more sturdy but they are also more bulky than the clips. I like both holsters but slightly prefer the kydex/leather hybrid.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#16]

look at that double stitching!  Who makes all of those?

I was thinking of this Garret Industries appendix holster

But now after seeing that double stitching I want something fancy like that, even if it will be tucked in my pants and no one will see it.  I wonder if the leather lined kydex could also be wrapped with a thin leather jacket?

Is that one an appendix holster w/clip or belt loops like the rest of yours?

I'm thinking appendix carry is the style/comfort I'm looking for, but also interested in the small of back carry - does anyone do this type & how comfortable do you think it is?

Would anyone suggest a cant for appendix carry?  Or go 0* ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Comp-Tac Minotaur.
Kydex and leather hybrid with adjustable ride hight and cant.  The best of all worlds.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/BulletBait1969/Gun%20Stuff/HK/HPIM0924_zpse827efaf.jpg
View Quote

This is what I use. Good holster. Has held up for a few years with me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But now after seeing that double stitching I want something fancy like that, even if it will be tucked in my pants and no one will see it.  I wonder if the leather lined kydex could also be wrapped with a thin leather jacket?

I'm thinking appendix carry is the style/comfort I'm looking for, but also interested in the small of back carry - does anyone do this type & how comfortable do you think it is?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Does anyone have any input on this? I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a really nice holster soon.

Is there a company that would do a leather>thin kydex>leather combo and have it look like the holster Triage posted to?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those Milt Sparks are really nice.  Although I don't know how I feel about elephant skin...

It seems to hold it's shape really well?  Does it collapse at all when you remove the weapon from the holster?

A guy on hkpro said: I like all kydex with a leather backing. Helps keep a hot gun from burning you during a course/higher-volume shooting...especially nice for AIWB.

That sounds beneficial but someone suggested that leather sucks in hot weather (although of course someone contradicted him lol) and says leather is fine in Tx hot weather, although there isn't much humidity there so that would really make leather wear a lot more comfortable compared to a humid environment.  I'm in Ohio, it doesn't get super hot, although we do have some hot summer days here and it does get humid.

I'm thinking leather lined kydex with a leather backer unless someone can convince me to go with a different kind of backer?

The Garret Industries do look really nice - is anyone else doing a leather lined kydex IWB?
View Quote

Sorry, I missed this post.  It is stiff where it counts, in the mouth, you would seriously have to try to make it collapse.  However it's flexible everywhere else, which makes it conform to your body in a way that Kydex can't.  

And for anyone telling you it isn't humid in TX, they aren't spouting nonsense.  I'm tired of people from Georgia or other parts of the world extolling Texas heat as "dry heat".  There is more humidity in Dallas TX than Houston, Atlanta, or Columbus.  Just google the data, it's free to research.  And yes, it is common in Dallas to have 110F and 80% humidity.  And yes, I wear the Milt Sparks every single day in that weather without issue.  Years of usage and it looks brand new.

Humidity
Annual Average Humidity, #594
Dallas, TX 78.41%
Texas 76.95%
U.S. 77.52%

Humidity
Annual Average Humidity, #2073
Houston, TX 73.63%
Texas 76.95%
U.S. 77.52%

Humidity
Annual Average Humidity, #277
Atlanta, GA 76.12%
Georgia 75.76%
U.S. 77.52%

Humidity
Annual Average Humidity, #863
Columbus, OH 77.29%
Ohio 77.91%
U.S. 77.52%

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you practice drawing as much as you should it wont matter if it's leather, kydex or whale dick.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I carry appendix with a zero degree holster.  The loops are a tiny bit oversized for my belt, so I can shift it when seated or driving.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you practice drawing as much as you should it wont matter if it's leather, kydex or whale dick.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to know how you became experienced in the qualities of whale's shlongs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't want to know how you became experienced in the qualities of whale's shlongs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear that whale (or the high end elephant) dick, ensures that you will have a holster which keeps a gun that you never practice with or really use, in new condition!  I'm giving a Brit Milah for a whale this sunday, so prices may go down!

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:02:58 AM EDT
[#24]
TT Gunleather all day for IWB leather
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I only carry in kydex. I live in TX and I sweat way too much. I hated cleaning rust off my guns from leather rigs. Kydex is quick to clean, doesn't absorb sweat, and looks good. Finish sminish ... if you're carrying a gun you're going to knock it around and it'll get worn. If you want a safe queen ... leave it in the safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top