Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2015 2:04:40 PM EDT

Of all the different models of the FEG Hi-Powers, is there a Model that is more desirable then the others?

Meaning the P9 over the Budapest version and so forth???

I ask this because mine is very simply marked (which I actually prefer), on the Right side of the Slide, Only has the Serial Number, and on the Left Side of the Slide, has two lines:

Top Line:  CaL.9mm. PARABELLUM   Bottom Line:  MADE IN HUNGARY   FEG-BUDAPEST

I've seen others with the FEG in a very prominent symbol.  I guess I'm just asking, within the FEG Hi Powers are some more collectable then others???

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
There were several versions of the FEG, and by no means am I an expert.  The biggest variation in all of the actual BHP style copies was the change from the true BHP locking system to the S&W locking system.  Externally they look exactly the same, but if you look really closely you can usually see the locking block on the right side of the frame just above the trigger has a large circle showing in the frame(if I am remembering correctly).  While the ones with the S&W locking system shoot and act the same, you can't swap as many parts as you can with the true BHP clones.

I find the true BHP clones to be of more value to me, as well as the ones that had the FEG extended safety on them.  The ones that have the tiny browning style safety I usually pass up, and just find a low price browning instead.

Some people like the look of the FEG's with the full slide length rail with the cutouts, and I've seen those sell for about 50 bucks more than a regular FEG, but they still aren't anything collectible.  The problem being that the ones with the rails were usually the DA/SA ones, and there are fewer that are actually true SA.(single action).

I don't know if this really answers your question, other than to say "Not really" with the exception of making sure it's a browning style lockup with the extended safety as the most desirable, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to clarify on the Locking System. Which one is BHP and which one is S&W as you are describing it? I couldn't tell from the way you explained it, which one (BHP or S&W) has the large circle showing in the frame? Sorry for the confusion and my ignorance, but I'm confused.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:49:55 AM EDT
[#3]
What you've done is open a can of worms .
With minor variations in sights, barrel bushing and spur or ring hammer, the closest...part for part, to an FN BHP is designated by FEG as the "P9". FEG then modified the slide cut for the slide lock as well as the slide lock itself...by eliminating the BHP "Lobe" making it resemble a 1911 slide lock, but keeping all other parts "interchangeable"...with some fitting, with the BHP. A BHP slide lock cannot be used with this slide, but this modified 1911-ish slide lock can be used with a BHP slide...though it leaves an opening in the slide normally covered by the "lobe" of the BHP slide lock.  An excellent extended safety of FEG design often accompanied this second version and it was designated by FEG as the "P9M". Both these models utilize the FN BHP cam/cam cut barrel/slide/frame lock-up and exhibit the oval cam above the trigger as mentioned earlier. FEG then really changed the game by developing what externally looks like the aforementioned "P9M"...modified slide/slide lock/safety, but utilizing a barrel/slide/frame lock up very similar to the S&W M39/59 series of pistols. There is no oval cam visible with the S&W lock-up. FEG designated this highly modified...internally, pistol the "P9M"...yes, just like the previously mentioned BHP like second version. All 3 of these pistols are S/A only BTW and utilize FN BHP magazines...the D/A FEGs have nothing to do with the FN BHP other than vague styling similarities.

Now, as if that wasn't confusing enough, FEG seemed to put whatever they wanted at the time on the slides of these 3 pistols...there's a forth version with a ventilated rib but we'll leave it out of this for now. There were multiple US importers of these FEG pistols, with the majority coming through one of the Kassnar/KBI firms. The owner wanted his pistols...and rifles for that matter, named for his family members. The most common "name" for the 3 US imported pistols described above...even occasionally the 4th. version semi-mentioned above , is "PJK-9HP", which is his wife's initials "Pamela Jane Kassnar" followed by "9" for 9mmP and "HP" for High Power. Again, the "PJK-9HP" slide legend can be found on all 3 versions. Some or all of the 3 versions mentioned above may also be found  with "PJK-9HP"...whether US imported by Kassnar/KBI or not. "Parabellum", Luger M80, Mauser-Werke or any variation of just FEG and some form of abbreviate address are common. In other words it's damned near impossible to use just a "name" and be assured of getting the version you desire. These are just the S/A only pistols described above.

Help or hurt, there it is. If you want an FEG FN BHP like "clone" look for the oval cam above the trigger AND the typical FN BHP slide lock with the lobe.

As a side note: FEG also manufactured a true counterfeit of the FN BHP, fake "FN Herstal" slide legend, fake "pineapple" proof" and all. The give away's are slight differences in rollmark quality/size/placement, no internal FN Part Date Codes...with the dead give-away a very typical FEG serial number consisting of a capital letter, a space and a 5 digit serial number...VERY FEG .
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#4]
All of the Mauser Werke marked pistols I have seen were marked "Mauser 80SA" and are true BHP clones in all respects, FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of the Mauser Werke marked pistols I have seen were marked "Mauser 80SA" and are true BHP clones in all respects, FWIW.
View Quote

You are...of course, correct Richard, the Mauser-Werke I mentioned IS the "Mod.80.SA" and IS an FN BHP "clone"...the comma should have been a period ending that sentence. Kind of hard to boil down the confusion in as few words as possible .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top