Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2014 4:22:18 PM EDT
TL;DR – Bought an inexpensive, uncommon Yugoslavian pistol that didn’t work. Fixed it.

I’m much more a rifle shooter than a pistol shooter, but for some reason lately I’ve been craving more pistols. Like my rifles I like to collect things that I will actually use and shoot, but in most cases I try to purchase something that has some war history behind the design as well. Over the last few years I’ve been studying more about the Balkans War that started 20 years ago. As I have studied that war I get even more of an interest in firearms that were used in that conflict. The CZ99 pistol was used during that conflict. Some time later Iraq issued the CZ99 as well.

I’d given my only double column 9x19 pistol to my best friend years ago – he has since passed away but his family still has it. After 15 years I started to get a desire for another 9x19 pistol.

Like many of you I’d surf the gun auction sites when I had time. At one point last year I’d found a very nice TD Arms CZ99 listed for about $350. It was relisted several times. By the time I could justify the cost it was sold. Last week an unfired (since leaving factory) TD Arms sold for almost $700.

In January 2014 I found a very beat up looking CZ99 listed on gb. The auction photos were very low grade, but I could make out the Made in Yugoslavia and TD Arms importer markings. TD Arms was the first US company to import the design sometime in the 1991-1992 time period. I remember seeing them at local shows back then – the ambidextrous design had an appeal. About 3000 were imported before the war. The Balkans war stopped the import of the CZ99 pistol for some time.

I’d read a lot of very favorable reviews of post-war EZ9 and CZ999 pistols and I’d also seen others post “RUN” when people would ask about this pistol design and how contractors forced to use them in Iraq weren’t impressed with them. Still, the design intrigued me.

It was obvious the pistol in the auction was quite used, which to me was cool since I dig the BFPU look. The seller described the action as “good” but the seller had a “you win it you own it” policy. I took the risk and threw a bid at it - $188. No one outbid me. At worst I could sell off the parts.

The seller packed it well and shipped it quickly. I was greeted by the odor of cosmolene when I first opened the box. I was pleased to find that the only import marks were the TD Arms markings. I’d learned Century has or recently had some used CZ99 pistols and I thought this one might have been marked by them. Century is known to apply their own serial number to firearms that already have a serial because redundant serial numbers are redundant redundant. Who knows what the story is on my pistol. It certainly saw heavy use somewhere.

I’d obtained a manual for a very similar EZ9 pistol before the CZ99 arrived. I magnified the exploded view on a copier.

I spent time going over the pistol and learning how it operated. I like how the double and single action trigger break feels.

The finish had pitting from sweat – more on the left side than the right indicating a right handed shooter. The slide’s metal color was similar to the “henna” reddish color of Yugo AKM barrel components made in the same Zastava factory.

The front and rear sights were each drifted to the end of their adjustment. Not sure why, the barrel’s crown looks good. The sights have Tritium vials but they no longer seem to glow.

Front sight too far left. There may be more damage to the front sight than I thought:

Rear sight too far right:

My CZ99 had a firing pin that wouldn’t move and was stuck down below where the hammer could strike it. Great – broken firing pin I thought. I then began to learn how hard parts were to come by since EAA stopped carrying the EZ9. I was beginning to get that sinking feeling I had purchased a “display model.”

I found a very low traffic CZ99 specific forum, joined, then began gleaning information.

I soaked the slide in PB Blaster. Kroil would have probably been better, but PB Blaster was already in the mancave.

After soaking I drove out the roll pin that holds the firing pin and extractor in place. I had to modify a roll pin punch to a smaller diameter to get one to fit correctly. Fortunately the roll pin was not damaged.

Driving out roll pin:

Roll pin removed:

Stuck firing pin:

Pin is not protruding above slide face:

After a few days of light tapping I finally got the firing pin to move forward, then using an AK cleaning kit punch I was able to push the firing pin out. You have to depress the firing pin lock while trying to move the firing pin. Getting the extractor out was a little tricky but it eventually was removed as well.

Firing pin now stuck past breechface - at least it did finally move:

Firing pin now recessed:

This is what the slide disgorged. It appears the firing pin had been rusted to the slide at the rear – probably from sweat. Lots of dirt, grease, rust and neglect here.

Finally out. What a mess. You can see the rust on the large end:

In need of a good cleaning:

Took some fiddling to get the firing pin lock out:

At last:

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I brushed the parts clean then degreased them. After that I soaked them in Evaporust. After this photo was taken I then polished the rear of the firing pin where the rust had been – Evaporust had dissolved the rust but I wanted to make sure it was smooth. I ran fingernails over each piece and gently smoothed all the rough edges. Scrubbed the firing pin channel with a .17 caliber brush.

Parts after cleaning and evaporust treatment. They now work correctly and move smoothly:

Reassembly was pretty straightforward. Extractor goes in first. The trickiest part was holding the firing pin down while the roll pin was installed.

Firing pin moves smoothly now.

Same number under the slide is marked in the mag well.

While the slide was soaking I worked on the cosmolene infested frame. I removed the grips and ignorantly depressed the decocker to “watch” as it operated. “PING” was the sound my tinnitus hindered ears heard “somewhere in the mancave”. Drat. The right side decocker spring had departed.

Two days of searching for the missing spring with a magnet did not yield results. CZ99 forum searches revealed I was not the first to have this problem – DO NOT ACTIVATE THE DECOCKER LEVER WHILE THE GRIPS ARE REMOVED.

I learned the correct spring is 1 mm in thickness and is needed to counterbalance the slide lock. With the spring missing the slide will lock open each time you shoot – even if the mag is full. Not good.

I’d read where currently parts are not available from Century the current importer. EAA used to carry parts but are sold out. Who knows when I’ll find my lost spring? I want to shoot my “new” pistol.

I read where someone made a spring from .9 mm dental wire – fortunately they posted pictures of the spring they made because exploded diagram did not do a good job of representing this part. I dug through the materials I had and found a good base for a replacement spring – an AKM sear spring leftover from a semi-auto AKM build. It is 1.18mm thick.

I spent some careful time measuring and forming the bends in a vise. Once I got the length right the replacement spring fit very well. The replacement spring’s .18mm increased thickness seems to put a small amount of drag on the right decocking lever. I probably need to thin the spring a bit on the side that contacts the lever.

Missing spring:

Fabricated spring. I might need to file it flatter – I can tell it rubs the grips slightly. I cleaned it more thoroughly after this.

Once the fabricated spring was installed the slide lock, decocker and all other functions checked out.

Resassembled:

Centered the sights. You can see here the dual decocking levers make the pistol very wide:

I later found the tritium sights still have the faintest glow. I might see about reanimating the tritium, but might leave well enough alone.

Bought a new magazine for it. Dry functions all work as they should. Fabricated decocker spring seems to work.
At last – a trip to the range.

I scored a box of 9mm steel case TulAmmo at a local Wal-Mart (huzzah) and made time to test fire the CZ99.

Firing commenced. The only issue was after two rounds fired from the first mag the mag fell to the ground. It is possible I released it. It was the first time a mag with rounds in it had been inserted since I took possession. The mag stayed in for the remaining rounds.

Happy with the results. The centered sights seem pretty well centered. Can’t imagine why they arrived so out of adjustment.

Last 5 rounds of Tula. The black square is 1”. Gridlines are .25”.

I’m very happy my cheap pistol didn’t stutter and is not going to be “for display purposes only".

To me this is a functioning collector item. I'll be leaving the finish exactly as it is. Looks like it was picked up from the Kosovo turn in pile. I have another “CZ” in the collection for it to go with.

I’ve put 200 more rounds downrange since the initial range trip – no further issues so it is off to a good start. It still smells like cosmo, no matter how many times I clean it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Good job OP, I remember seeing these on the market and thinking they looked like a less expensive P226 analog. Interesting history.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you know of any online resources or walk through to detail strip down the slide and trigger / sear mechanism?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice beater.

Good work
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know of any online resources or walk through to detail strip down the slide and trigger / sear mechanism?
View Quote

I'm not aware of another resource other than the CZ99.org forum that doesn't seem to function anymore. It was up back in February when I first began to work on my pistol.

I have seen what appear to be Serbian or Yugoslavian military manuals dedicated to these on ePay for about $30 plus shipping. They are Serb language of course, but photos from a manual in an auction might help you - if they are shown.

As for the slide, I thought the photos posted above would be helpful to others. The primary tool needed is a roll pin punch. I chose to drive the pin out from the left to the right. The roll pin holds all the slide small parts together except for the sights and loaded chamber indicator. You have to depress the firing pin lock while pushing the firing pin during firing pin removal. The extractor is held in by its own spring tension - removal for me required a flat blade screwdriver to pry against it and relive the tension while using a Craftsman small hooked probe to lift it out. A third hand would have helped.

The loaded chamber indicator is tricky to dismantle but only made of a plunger and spring as I recall - I chose to leave it alone.

I've misplaced the drive I store most of my photos on. I might have some photos of the trigger/hammer, etc. saved from the CZ99 forum on it. Mine pistol seems fine in that area (great trigger for that matter) so I chose not to take it apart.

I do know to tell you not to try to remove the two decocking levers - the way they are attached it will be near impossible for the average home gunsmith to reassemble those to the "axle" they pivot on. From what I recall reading even EAA could not reattach them for someone who took them off their pistol.

The mag catch is essentially the same as the Croatian XD pistol - I surmise the Croats copied the CZ99 catch. I recall reading what a pain that was to deal with. Mine moves freely (almost too freely) after a solvent soak so I let it be.

Thanks for the compliments!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks cool like it was used in the Balkans.

I have an early import - one of the first ones in with wood grips I like the "war story" look on yours.

" />

Solid guns - a little thick though.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice write up OP. I hadn't heard of these pistols before.

Cherenkov, your's is beautiful. Wood grips may not be the most functional, but they sure do look nice.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Good read

I like butt uglies as much as the purdy guns
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow. Nice job.
I have worked in Serbian army till a year ago, and I thought I have seen banged up pistols.
This one beats them all.
Anyway, I carried one for 4 years. Never had any problems, ran God knows how many rounds through it.
People tend to forget that this gun was made as a military gun, so it can allow itself to be a tad wider, and have more space between parts, so dirt wont make problems.

If you have any questions about the gun, I can help, and if anyone needs a translation of the manual, I will be happy to do so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool post^
I love my CZ999.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am lazy so I would just buy a new one but that's a cool gun with way more history.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd just buy a new one as well.

But I am Highly impressed by your labor of love and descriptive post!  Fine job!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#13]
In case anyone following this thread is interested in owning a real Zastava CZ99, Coles Distributing has Real CZ-99 pistols on Gunbroker many for under $300.  Used Pistols, likely from Israel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the difference between the new ones and the one like the OP bought?     Why not just buy a new one?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]
yes, the new ones are far better.  No revolver switch on the slide to set it to DA only, more sig-like in looks, and new, brand new.  Buy new.  These old ones should be around $175-200,  That is why they are not selling.  SOG has em too, as does Century Arms.
mine:
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's the difference between the new ones and the one like the OP bought?     Why not just buy a new one?
View Quote

Few differences between CZ99, CZ999 and EZ9.

CZ999 is 8mm longer than 99, has selectable mode trigger system, it has low ammoindicator, which is a pin that protrudes from the grip into your palm when you have 3 or less round left. And the grip is slightly slimmer and better.
EZ9 has Picatinny rail, doesn ot have selectable mode trigger system, hammer is different, in my opinion way better, and better to use.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Few differences between CZ99, CZ999 and EZ9.

CZ999 is 8mm longer than 99, has selectable mode trigger system, it has low ammoindicator, which is a pin that protrudes from the grip into your palm when you have 3 or less round left. And the grip is slightly slimmer and better.
EZ9 has Picatinny rail, doesn ot have selectable mode trigger system, hammer is different, in my opinion way better, and better to use.
View Quote

close but not accurate, or perhaps clearly typed.  The CZ99 has the mode trigger, low ammo indicator, and slimmer (maybe) grip.  The CZ999 that everyone is currently selling new (Classic, CTD, J&G, etc) is the one I pictured.  It has no mode selector, a single slide release/decocker lever, a loaded chamber indicator, no low ammo pin, and looks more Sig P226 than the older renditions
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]
@dwcopple

I have made a mistake, and I did not.

This is what I was talking about.
CZ99 - http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/serb/cz-99-e.html
CZ999 - http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/serb/cz-999-e.htm
http://www.cz99.org/index.php?page=cz99

But, and that is a BIG but. :)
Things have changed.

Check Zastavas web page:
http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianproduct/pistol-ez9ez40

No more CZ 99, now its just CZ999 scorpion and compact, without mode trigger and low ammo.
And EZ9.

And just for the record, CZ99 was my duty pistol for 4 years in serbian MP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Couple of years ago another contractor had a one of the 999s in Astan.  I ran 500rds thru it one afternoon without any issues.  I was also running a Remington 870 MCS that day too.

CD
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you for sharing your experience Manda!

In the United States there does not seem to be many holster choices for these pistols. I've heard that some Sig holsters work but the right side decocker leaves me doubtful the CZ 99 would fit one.

I was able to get a military holster direct from Serbia. At a glance it looks like the Bianchi designed US Military holster but they are quite different. My CZ 99 will not fit my 1990 purchase Bianchi military holster. I also wanted the Serbian holster because it is ambi and I am left handed.

Not quite up to Bianchi standards – but fully functional.

CZ 99 magazines do fit in the Bianchi Military 1025 Size 2 mag pouch.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#21]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNC44wZn71s[/youtube]

fix this^ or copy and paste it.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]

CD
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow. Nice job.
I have worked in Serbian army till a year ago, and I thought I have seen banged up pistols.
This one beats them all.
Anyway, I carried one for 4 years. Never had any problems, ran God knows how many rounds through it.
People tend to forget that this gun was made as a military gun, so it can allow itself to be a tad wider, and have more space between parts, so dirt wont make problems.

If you have any questions about the gun, I can help, and if anyone needs a translation of the manual, I will be happy to do so.
View Quote

Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Is there a source to order this Holster from.  I've been looking for original hosters.
Thanks for posting pictures .

Quoted:

In the United States there does not seem to be many holster choices for these pistols. I've heard that some Sig holsters work but the right side decocker leaves me doubtful the CZ 99 would fit one.

I was able to get a military holster direct from Serbia. At a glance it looks like the Bianchi designed US Military holster but they are quite different. My CZ 99 will not fit my 1990 purchase Bianchi military holster. I also wanted the Serbian holster because it is ambi and I am left handed.
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/p4c02Lzpj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/904/c02Lzp.jpg</a>
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/hlxlcRE6j" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/633/xlcRE6.jpg</a>

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/eyT27tqvj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/538/T27tqv.jpg</a>
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/kqj76e2dj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/746/j76e2d.jpg</a>

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/pcMTtX24j" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/912/MTtX24.jpg</a>
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/p2b4jhOxj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/902/b4jhOx.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/p4c02Lzpj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/904/c02Lzp.jpg</a>
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/hlxlcRE6j" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/633/xlcRE6.jpg</a>

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/eyT27tqvj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/538/T27tqv.jpg</a>
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/kqj76e2dj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/746/j76e2d.jpg</a>

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/pcMTtX24j" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/912/MTtX24.jpg</a>
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/p2b4jhOxj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/902/b4jhOx.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#25]
@thomasplaster223

No problem.
If you ever need anything for your CZ99, ask me, I wll check here in Serbia.

@VLODPG

Dziekuje.
Thank you.

@cherenkov

Check on Ebay, if there isn't any, I can check here.
I had green, black, woodland, and MP white issued for me, I don't think there are more color options.
I am not selling anything, just trying to help. :)
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice save, that pistol sure looks like it has been to war. I owned the Israeli version, but let it go a few years ago.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Hi! I'd like to obtain one of those Serbian military holster in  olive drab. Any links or info would be greatly appreciated! Plz help!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Which, if any, night ights will fit it?

Does anybody make thinner grips?

Source for mags that won't break the bank? I'd prefer not to modify Sig or Beretta mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Which, if any, night ights will fit it?

Does anybody make thinner grips?

Source for mags that won't break the bank? I'd prefer not to modify Sig or Beretta mags.
View Quote

Night sights - I don't know for certain. Some have said Sig, but I don't want to spend $120 finding out. If I ever remove my sights from the slide I'll post the measurements.

Grips - I have not seen any that are thinner than factory. The ambi decocker levers are what makes it really wide. I read a post on the now defunct CZ99 forum where someone broke one of the decocker levers when try to refinish and subsequently removed the decocker mechanism altogether - thus making his a thinner width. I wouldn't go that far.

Mags- Once CDNN sold out in the Spring they seem to have dried up. I've meant to ask a dealer friend if he can get any from Century. I may experiment with Beretta mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The ambi decocker levers are what makes it really wide.
I may experiment with Beretta mags.
View Quote

you can easily cut the ambi decocker lever off flush with a Dremel if you wish to.
The Beretta mags are not an experiment, they are proven to work if you make the proper hole for the catch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#31]
THANKS AIM!

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Over 2/3rds the price of the pistol^^^^  you must be in love.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Great restoration job!  I love seeing the before and after pictures.  I passed on getting one of these when Charles Daly (IIRC) was importing them as the ZDA with the pin that stuck out the grip screw when you the mag was low.

How long did you let the parts sit in the Evaporust? Did your model have the "Low Cartridge Indicator?

You've got me kicking myself in the butt for not buying one after this thread; I love weird and obscure 9mms.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You've got me kicking myself in the butt for not buying one after this thread; I love weird and obscure 9mms.
View Quote

cdisales has lots of these in all conditions on GB right now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone know what dove tale they use?  Will sig sights work?
thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Read that sig sight work.  Not sure.
Can the cz99 be dated?  I am wondering if I can get the year of manufacture.
thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top