Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 1/23/2015 5:45:03 PM EDT
I bought a CM9 for the times when I want to carry in a suit pants pocket.

I like it, but I am having two issues:  the trigger fails to reset from time to time, and it won't ignite some primers.

Anyone else have these problems?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has been flawless. I hope you get yours sorted out! fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Im sorry to hear about your experience.  My CM9 has been flawless in the 300 rounds I've put through it.  I'm not sure if you have heard about the 200 round break in period that is recommended for a Kahr pistols.  Make sure to clean and lubricate properly and to use the slide stop when chambering the first round.  If these methods do not remedy your issues you should send the pistol back to Kahr.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I have not had these problems with seven different Kahrs. I would contact Kahr directly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure to use the slide stop when chambering the first round.  If these methods do not remedy your issues you should send the pistol back to Kahr.
View Quote

I hadn't heard of that one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had no issues. Send it back if it continues after the breakin
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input.

I have a CW9 that has run perfectly and that is why I am surprised that this Kahr is acting like it is.

I don't think a break in is going to help trigger resets and primer strikes, but I will give it a bit more time before sending it in.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make sure to use the slide stop when chambering the first round.  If these methods do not remedy your issues you should send the pistol back to Kahr.

Kahr recommends it.  During my break in period the pistol would not go fully into battery if I simply "Power Stroked" the pistol.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you follow the "New Kakr Perp"
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
My CM9 has been flawless from the very first round fired. I wouldn't call it a break in, but rather a shake down. Because after an initial cleaning I shot 100 rounds of mixed ammo through it without a single problem. I used WWB, some old Remington UMC I had on hand, and also some Winchester NATO rounds.
I then tried it with candidates for carry ammo. Remington Golden Saber, Winchester PDX1, and Hornady Critical Defense. Again, all functioned perfectly. I have since put another couple hundred rounds through it without any problems. My final decision on carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel. Mine seems to not be the least picky about ammo.
I don't know what loading the first round with the slide stop would have to do with subsequent rounds, but that is Kahr's instructions. I also know the trigger reset is pretty long, so maybe in that instance you are not completely releasing it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#10]
After reading this thread I took mine out to the range and I actually experienced my first two malfunctions on this weapon.

I had a "dead trigger" (failure to reset) 2 times.

I wasn't paying attention to which round in the magazines it was because I was in a hurry to leave, but I think it was the last round in the magazine both times.

I did some research and apparently this happens sometimes. I forget which forum I was reading on, but there was a Kahr rep in the thread and he said that you should send it in for repair if this happens to you.

Unfortunately, I loaned my backup gun to a friend who is also having problems with his gun (different make and model) so it'll be a while before I can send this thing in to have Kahr look at it.

In the mean time I will try to get it out to the range and check it over some more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had no issues. Send it back if it continues after the breakin
View Quote

My experience is identical.  As is my suggestion.  Hope OP gets it sorted out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I finally got out to the range and I was unable to replicate the problem. I tried a few different types of ammo, and nothing but reliable functioning, so Im chalking mine up to the proverbial "fluke".

Keep us posted on your CM9, OP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My final decision on carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel.
View Quote

The short barrel version of the gold dot was designed for 2" revolvers.   Is there any drawback (or advantage) to using it in a 3" semi?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The short barrel version of the gold dot was designed for 2" revolvers.   Is there any drawback (or advantage) to using it in a 3" semi?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My final decision on carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel.

I don't know anything about the short barrel Gold Dot load, but a 2" revolver and a 3" semi-auto actually have about the same barrel length (the chamber is included in the barrel length measurement on semi-autos, but no revolvers).
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I took mine out today for the first time. I'm happy to report 50 rounds of ball and 30 rounds of Speer 124 +p Gold Dots went through without a hitch. I've read of people having stoppages, but I didn't experience any. I'll be honest - I'm relieved. It seems more than a few people have had some issues with their Kahr pistols. I think I may have gotten one of the good ones.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Talk to Kahr, they'll make it right.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a similar problem with my CM9 when it was new.  I would get intermittent failures to fire.  Sometimes it would be in the first magazine and other times it would shoot fifty rounds before doing it again.  It did not matter what ammunition or which magazine I used.  I ordered a new striker from Kahr.  Upon pulling the old striker, I found a small piece of brass in the striker channel.  I replaced the striker and it has been flawless ever since.  I still to this day believe it was that piece of brass that caused the malfunction.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, did you follow the new Kahr prep instructions?

I would especially look into cleaning the striker channel.

Read #2

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?1521-Proper-prep-of-a-new-kahr

Youll need some non-chlorinated brake and parts cleaner and a can of computer air-duster or an air compressor to blow out any remaining junk.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, but I haven't experienced your issues.  All I can say is that while I've heard that Kahr customer service will make it right, I can tell you from experience that that isn't always the case.  I understand the allure of cheap semi-autos, but from this point forward I simply wont trust a Kahr firearm.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have put 300 rounds through mine so far without a single hiccup.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I didn't think running more rounds would make a difference in light strikes and trigger reset, but it apparently did.  In the last 2-300 rounds I have had no issues with either problem.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, I didn't think running more rounds would make a difference in light strikes and trigger reset, but it apparently did.  In the last 2-300 rounds I have had no issues with either problem.
View Quote

That's good to hear! What brand and type of ammunition were you using?

I've only fired Federal and Speer through mine. I need to get out again soon and out at least 100 rounds through it. Last time I got out was February 19th!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Keep an eye out for small fragments of polymer in the works as well. Had one get in the guts and cause problems during break in period. 3 Kahrs, 4 malfunctions total, all during 1st 200 rounds, one of those from limp wristing it.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top