Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2015 1:20:31 AM EDT
I've gotten the itch for a .357 and was looking at the 28-2. What is the going rate for one in average condition? Gunbroker is all over the board in price ranges.

Is there a different model I should be considering that is similar?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:12:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've gotten the itch for a .357 and was looking at the 28-2. What is the going rate for one in average condition? Gunbroker is all over the board in price ranges.

Is there a different model I should be considering that is similar?
View Quote

Excellent guns and still available for a very reasonable price. Large N frame like the 44 Mag 29/629, pinned and recessed, prelock, forged parts, hammer mounted firing pin. They were a less fancy Model 27 service model with less fluff and buff, not as much bluing polish and bead blasted instead of top strap checkering. 4" models tend to bring a little bit of a premium over the 6" models, but both are great guns. Around here they tend to run about $450-$600 depending on barrel length, condition, and grips, with no box or papers. Obviously, if it is in the box with papers, that number will be higher.

A similar M27 will be a couple hundred more at least. An older prelock 686/586 is a great alternative in a slightly smaller L frame, but tend to run a bit more. The Model 66/19 is slightly smaller still in a K frame, and also tend to run a bit higher on average. Depends what you want to use it for. A model 28 makes a great range gun that will hold up to some serious abuse from a steady diet of full boogie .357 loads, as will the 686/586. The K frame 66/19 is better if you want to carry it, but can be more susceptible to problems if you beat on it with the same full power loads on a regular basis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top