.38 special

Which do you prefer and why ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Airweight is a damn good pocket pistol
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 638 and an LCR in 22.  Kind of the samething.  The Smith is bit more slender than the Ruger.  Otherwise I'm not sure there's much of a difference.  Price is about the same.  I doubt there is any significant difference in accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a j-frame scandium in .357 that predates the LCR.  I read about the LCR when it first came out and it seems like a cool concept and I like Ruger, so I guess I'd say you should shoot both and see for yourself.

Now, shooting my Scandium isn't the least bit fun, but it's been my everyday carry for over a decade.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]
J-frame. If only because they're classier.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]

I have the LCR, better trigger, and accurate enough to hit milk jugs at 100 yds.

Recoil is tame with polymer frame and gel grip.

Just add a better front sight, and you are done!

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Poll fail. Should be a option If you actually have shot both.
I like my lcr. Shoots softer than airweight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
442 Pro series

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
442 Pro series

<a href="http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=45&u=16485401" target="_blank">http://i28.servimg.com/u/f28/16/48/54/01/422_pr10.jpg</a>
View Quote

NICE

About 10 years ago,  I had a 5" 625 45ACP revolver
bought a huge pile of full moon clips from ranch products

loaded up 45SUPER and had great success hunting big midwestern deer

I sold it and have always regretted it.

Didn't know they made a 38 special moonclip J-frame

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a S&W 638. If I had it to do over again, I MIGHT buy the Ruger instead . . . at the very least, I'm impressed by the Ruger, but I like being able to manually cock the 638.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got both.... Prefer the J-frame but LCR is a solid blaster
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a tried and true S&W fan but even I have to say the LCR is a fine gun. I even like the triggers and that is the part I usually hate on the rest of the Rugers.

If I couldn't find a 642 I could live happy with a LCR.

The thing that tosses me back in the S&W camp is that every place making aftermarket grips pretty much makes stuff for the J-frame . Ok so they make grips for a K-frame first but the second design is for the J . With the LCR grips are pretty hard to find and all about the same size. They fit me fine but there are not any real options out there

About a year ago I was messing about at my club range and a fellow I know a bit pulled up and started shooting his new  LCR in 22 rimfire. This guy is a tried and true cowboy shooter and was having trouble with the double action. He asked me to try it and I ripped off a couple of cylinders and really tore up the center of the target. Good sights , good trigger.

There is lots to like about most Rugers but it seems to me they usually mess up at least one thing ( usually the trigger) on every model they make and this makes me crazy with sort of a love/hate thing going on with them . The LCR is a exception to this , I like them
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#13]
You can buy a new no-lock 642 for the same price as an LCR.  The 642 is a superior product in every respect.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

NICE

The moonclip is not as slick in the 38sp as it is for the 625 ACP gun but it is a far better loading solution than speed loaders that are not great in the tiny J-frame .

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
442 Pro series

<a href="http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=45&u=16485401" target="_blank">http://i28.servimg.com/u/f28/16/48/54/01/422_pr10.jpg</a>

NICE

The moonclip is not as slick in the 38sp as it is for the 625 ACP gun but it is a far better loading solution than speed loaders that are not great in the tiny J-frame .

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

NICE

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
442 Pro series

NICE

Yeap, current production, No Lock, +P rated, can use the full moon clips, standard speed loaders, speed strips or loose rounds.  The moon clip gives positive extraction for the short extraction throw and faster reload times.  I normally carry the flat speed strip in rear pocket with the 442 with moon clip inside front pocket.  TK customs will also cut the rear of the cylinder for both J frames and LCRs.

CD
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I cant find the pro/moon clip version in stock

But buds has lots of J-frames in stock...and decent prices

I've heard good things about the LCR but I've always been a S&W guy

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my J-frame . At shot when the LCR first came out the LCR's on display had broken hammers , That stuck with me
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a S&W revolver guy. I enjoy them, perhaps more than any other firearm. I have 3 K-frames, an L-frame, and 2 N-frames. But... My carry revolver of choice is the Ruger LCR 357.

There are a few reasons for this...

The trigger- The trigger on the LCR is simply better than most of the J-frames as they ship. The only exception I've handled is the 637PC "Gunsmoke" model.

The .357mag price point- The difference between a LCR 38 and a LCR 357 is about $20 or so. The difference between a .38spl J-frame and one chambered in .357 is closer to $200. I carry .38spl +P LSWCHP, but I like the option.

The grip frame- On the J-frame, the backstrap is the exposed steel or alloy of the frame. On the LCR, it's padded with a nice softer spot at the web of your hand. That's a nice touch to deal with the tendency of small revolvers to roll upwards with recoil.

The earlier post about the grip selection for the LCR is a little bit off. Ruger has a very nice solution on their webpage for $30.

This grip is slimmer, and it's perfect for pocket carry. The side panels are hard plastic that doesn't bind on clothing or holsters, and the front and back are Hogue rubber that provide a solid grip.

And yes, at some point, I'll buy a J-frame, but it'll most likely be a steel gun that's more of a collection piece than a carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a S&W 638. If I had it to do over again, I MIGHT buy the Ruger instead . . . at the very least, I'm impressed by the Ruger, but I like being able to manually cock the 638.
View Quote

What about the 638 gathering lint in the exposed hammer area ?

Is that an issue ?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's an LCR with an exposed hammer now.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's an LCR with an exposed hammer now.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qjLHFtsPhhE/UrQaqL2f4XI/AAAAAAAADNE/w5Qs-nOySe8/s1600/Ruger+LCRx.jpg

Yeah, that's more like a Model 36 or 636 Smith. The 638 doesn't have a full hammer, just a little nub that barely protrudes out of a humpback frame.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is that an issue ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that an issue ?

Does it get lint in there? Sure. So does the gap around the trigger. But a quick puff of breath every six months or so seems to keep the problem in check . . .
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I have LCR and have shot my cousin's 642 quite a bit. Both of them are chambered in .38 Special, and we've fired regular and +P rounds through them. We both strongly prefer the LCR. Better trigger and softer shooting, and therefore we are both more accurate with it. He's actually thinking about selling his Smith and getting the Ruger
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Went to the gunshow

Found a brand new 642

$400 cash, same as buds, but I could look it over, and check it out.

Also came with black grips

...or happy mothers day LOL

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm conflicted because the LCR is by far better to shoot, but I won't buy one until there are reasonable grip options. I prefer to carry the Smith with small G-10 grips that don't catch on clothing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:18:57 AM EDT
[#26]
LCR hands down, better trigger, better grips, better gun. My 357 has been flawless and is alot better than the Smith snubs that I used to have.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#27]
J-frame.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
J-frame. If only because they're classier.
View Quote

This is a true statement...that's why I chose the Ruger.

In my OPINION the Ruger is easier to shoot due to the better trigger and grips. The only place the J-frame excels is the ability to pocket carry and looks. I have owned both and kept the LCR.

I will agree that the LCR is fugly, but I don't care.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#30]
LCR for me, Smith J-frame for my wife.

Why?  Stock grip size is why.  That tiny J-frame grip is impossible for a man with large hands to effectively hold onto during recoil.  My wife's petite hands have no trouble with it, though.  If we're just shooting her gun she out shoots me with it all day long.

The LCR stock grip is better for a large meat mitten like mine.  Still small enough to pocket carry, though.

What works for a 6' 2" bruiser might not work for a 4' 10" lady.  Get what fits you best.

Trigger feel is subjective, too.  I prefer the LCR trigger, sure, but that might be because I just hate what happens are I pull the J-frame trigger.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I have an LCR and an LCRx. I like them far better than the airweight J frame and all steel J frame .38 special revolvers.

The grips are more comfortable. The recoil is not painful. I can fire a box of shells without developing a flinch. All the
J frame .38s I have tried have been unpleasant to fire. The LCR series are guns I enjoy shooting - which means I'll
practice more.

The sights are easier to change out. The replacement blades do not have to be drilled.

The out of the box actions are much smoother and lighter than the J frame .38s I have tried.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got both a Smith M642 and a M442. They do the CCW job for me and while I've shot a few of the Rugers the Smiths are the guns for me.
If for no other reason than aesthetics alone. While I like Rugers for single action revolvers and 22rf pistols their double action revolvers are too damn fugly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm conflicted because the LCR is by far better to shoot, but I won't buy one until there are reasonable grip options. I prefer to carry the Smith with small G-10 grips that don't catch on clothing.
View Quote

as the owner of both I concur
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#34]
S&W 642; time proven and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Is that an issue ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that an issue ?

It's vastly overblown.
I have a 638 and a 438.  Pocket carried as often as anything.
If you wash your clothes a few times a year and don't put pebbles in your pocket like a 6 year old kid you've got nothing to worry about.

Obviously, I choose the J Frame.  I've had them for a while, know them, shoot them well, have accessories and see nothing in the LCR that warrants a change.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you wash your clothes a few times a year and don't put pebbles in your pocket like a 6 year old kid you've got nothing to worry about.
View Quote

LOL

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#37]
LCR. Better out of the box trigger and much softer recoil with the supplied Tamer grips. It's also nice that you can easily change out the front sight.

ETA: Thanks to this thread, I just bought another NIB .38spl LCR off GB for $350 shipped. Woo Hoo!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I went with the S&W 442.  Lower profile, basic and classic.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#39]

I went with a S&W 442 Pro.  Nothing against the LCR just like the S&W more.  Its cut for moonclips and does not have the hammer lock.  I have been on a S&W Moonclip revolver kick.  Hunt with a 10mm Auto S&W 610 6.5".  I started shooting the 610 in USPSA Revolver division but picked up a  S&W 625 5" 45 ACP revolver about three years ago.  The rules changed February of this year allowing 7 and 8 shot revolvers in Revolver division so I now have an 8-shot S&W 627 Performance Center 5" in 357 Mag.  Took it to my First USPSA Nationals earlier this month.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I carry an LCR and the gip catching on clothing hasn't been a problem.  You could consider taking some black athletic tape and covering some of the high spots on the grip if you can make look non ghetto.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Got my $350 shipped LCR and my FFL didn't charge me for the transfer.

When I took off the grip I got a surprise....no lock!

Below is the LCR and grip removed. It has a March 2014 test fire date A Ruger forum member called a rep about the locks and he said they stopped putting them in because of too many complaints. Maybe S&W should do the same.

How they looked with the lock. I'm sure they still make some for the states that require it, but I'm happy they left them out for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#42]
My last handgun purchase was this Smith & Wesson Model 638.  I always wanted a J-frame revolver and I thought that the shrouded hammer style revolver was cool.  It is really light weight even when loaded and easily concealable.  The original factory grips was too small for my taste and that's why I opted for Nill grips.  I'm thinking of doing a Robar finish on this revolver just because.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Tough call, I own both, love both, both have their own pros and cons.

S&W: trigger majorly sucks, yes you could pay more for a PC model or pay a smith to fix it, but the ruger trigger comes out of the box excellent already. Sights are not replaceable. After market for J Frames is huge, holster selections are endless, same for grips.

Ruger: better trigger, grip selection sucks if you don't like the five options available on the market (Two from Ruger, one from crimson trace, and two from eagle grips). Holster selection has been limited and I am getting frustrated about that. I find the sights on the ruger to be better for my eyes, the options to upgrade the sights are nice too.

I find myself carrying the ruger almost every day, but would easily carry either one.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My last handgun purchase was this Smith & Wesson Model 638.  I always wanted a J-frame revolver and I thought that the shrouded hammer style revolver was cool.  It is really light weight even when loaded and easily concealable.  The original factory grips was too small for my taste and that's why I opted for Nill grips.  I'm thinking of doing a Robar finish on this revolver just because.

<a href="http://s168.photobucket.com/user/mauiglide/media/2012-12-04011752_zps7d6abb2f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/mauiglide/2012-12-04011752_zps7d6abb2f.jpg</a>
View Quote

Can you please post the dimensions of this grip? Front to back and side to side thickness please.

My 642 needs bigger grip help if i am going to keep it. And gummy hogues are not the answer.

Thanks!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Shot both pretty extensively, and I preferred the LCR - to shoot.
I was more accurate with the Airweight.

I have large hands, so the LCR let me get just a little more of my fingers on the grip and felt better in my hand while shooting.  For some reason though, my accuracy was just not there.  After trading off with my wife, I know that the accuracy issue was all me.  She shot it like a laser beam.
It must have been an issue with how I am squeezing the trigger or something.

Meanwhile, the Airweight was uncomfortable for me to shoot, but I shot it lights out accurate.

I would be content carrying either one, but would have to give the edge to the LCR.  I could practice with it and change my shooting, to become more accurate but the Airweight will be uncomfortable for me to shoot no matter what.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I went with a Smith 442 because it felt better in my hand. i could not get a comfortable grip on the Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I rented a LCR .38 special last Sunday. I'd been eyeing this gun for months. Loved it. Fun shooting. Put 50 rounds through it and then went back for another box of ammo. I went home and got one off Gunbroker. My range didn't have one one for sale without the laser. It's.delivered to my range/LGS. I'm just waiting on the phone call saying I can pick it up. :D.

I've shot Smith snubbies before. Love the looks, but they hurt badly to shoot. I have carpal tunnel. The LCR I rented had LaserMax grips,  so I think mine will be even better to shoot with the stock Hogue grips.

I shot very well with the LCR. I was not with Smith snubbies. My usual EDC is a 9mm, but I can see carrying my LCR.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#48]
S&W 642-1

The proper No-Lock model
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, I ordered a 642 no lock today, I actually considered the "Gunsmoke" edition and would have bought if it didn't have their dopey logo lasered on the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I both guns shoot about the same, I would go with the S&W. If, and when it comes time to sell it, it will sell much aster.

All my S&Ws and Colts sell at a much higher price than what I paid for them. True guns make a lousy investment, but remember you have used it in the meanwhile, just a side bennie that their used value is more than their new, can't beat that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top