Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2006 7:51:44 AM EDT
Howdy

I've been putting my new 9mm P2000 though some breaking in, and have noticed there is already some conspicuous wear on the followers of the two hi-cap (13 round) mags I've been using.  Total of 350 rounds so far, alternating the two mags.

I would post a picture, but an unfortunate dunk in the Ohio River has killed my digital camera.  Basically, it looks like the rim of the last round is gouging the end of the follower ramp as it leaves the magazine.  I am not particularly surprised that there is wear at that area, but the round count seems fairly low for it to be so pronounced already.  Feeding has been flawless on all 350 rounds.  I am sorta assuming I am just worried about my baby, and this is normal.

Assuming this is normal wear, will I just have to keep tabs on it and replace followers? Or will it really never become an issue?

I will update with a picture if I can manage to hijack a camera, if anyone is curious.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Howdy

I've been putting my new 9mm P2000 though some breaking in, and have noticed there is already some conspicuous wear on the followers of the two hi-cap (13 round) mags I've been using.  Total of 350 rounds so far, alternating the two mags.

I would post a picture, but an unfortunate dunk in the Ohio River has killed my digital camera.  Basically, it looks like the rim of the last round is gouging the end of the follower ramp as it leaves the magazine.  I am not particularly surprised that there is wear at that area, but the round count seems fairly low for it to be so pronounced already.  Feeding has been flawless on all 350 rounds.  I am sorta assuming I am just worried about my baby, and this is normal.

Assuming this is normal wear, will I just have to keep tabs on it and replace followers? Or will it really never become an issue?

I will update with a picture if I can manage to hijack a camera, if anyone is curious.

Thanks for any input.

I'd definitely like to see pics.  Is there a pronounced gouge in the follower?
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally got a good picture.  Like I said, currently still functions fine, just curious if this sorta wear is normal on plastic followers.

Link Posted: 7/14/2006 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#3]
That doesn't look right.  Those really are pronounced gouges, aren't they?  I would worry that sooner or later one of those gouges is going to start causing feeding problems.

So both mags are gouging like that?  You might want to give HK a call about that one.  They're serious about honoring their lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
That picture makes most of it look a little worse than it is (contrast from flash).  The worst of it is at the top and bottom of the line of wear.  You can see the tip of the follower ramp is being shaved off.  Not so easy to see is material being worn off at the bottom of the ramp.  In between is more cosmetic than anything so far.  Both magazines are this way.

I have shot mostly simple Winchester Remington UMC ammo through this.  But AFAIK, I haven't heard of that ammo causing any problems for other people.

EDIT: I get all my ammo brands mixed up >.<
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]
UMC's my favorite IDPA and practice load, but that's in .40.
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI, H&K suspects it is the ammo, but are sending me replacement followers anyway. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the remaining UMC ammo. Go go gadget calipers!

<3 H&K
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
HMMMM, I just did a FTF today for a USP9c... After looking at the 3 mags it came with , I too have the same EXACT marks on my followers. All 13 rnd mags, and the pistol has a real low round count, suspect less than 400 ...  Did you just call or email HK? Please let me know. i may have to see if they will replace my followers as well..
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
H&K said the wear was not normal, but would not hazard any guesses beyond double checking the ammo.  I emailed rather than called so I could include the picture...you should probably do the same, maybe they have come up with brilliant ideas in the meantime.

The ammo I used seems OK to me, but I will shoot a different type with the new followers when they get here to doublecheck.  Hopefully H&K is right.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Could it be the bottom edge of the slide hitting that part?
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Could it be the bottom edge of the slide hitting that part?

Not likely. I played around with mine andit seems when you push around from the rear, when it gets to the point where the gouging is, its almost like the round flip up and out of the mag at that point. The marks seem to be from the rear edge of the caseing as its extracted from the mag. fortunetly this only happens on the very last round of the mag.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I just checked my USPC9 mags with about 50 rounds through each of them and these marks are starting to show up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 4:14:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Bad design or bad lot of soft material for the mag followers.  Pistols with this low of a round count should not be showing this much wear in a magazine.

I use teflon followers in an sti going on 3 years with no wear marks at all.  

When I get home I'll check my USPf 9mm 10 rounders and check for wear.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bad design or bad lot of soft material for the mag followers.  Pistols with this low of a round count should not be showing this much wear in a magazine.

I use teflon followers in an sti going on 3 years with no wear marks at all.  

When I get home I'll check my USPf 9mm 10 rounders and check for wear.

I've never seen this type of wear on HK followers in the past, on both fullsize and compact magazines.  Something ain't right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I sent an e-mail to HK and they told me its normal. Ill keep an eye on the wear.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the same marks on mine, no rough edges I think its fine/normal.

USP9c
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 1:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
It sure isn't my experience that it's normal with the .40 mags.
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I assume they use the same mag spring for all calibers, so the same spring force on the smaller rim of the 9mm causes higher pressure on the follower as the round feeds.  Could explain wear on 9mm followers, but not the larger calibers.

Hopefully the springs will relax with a little more use.
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
my 40 P2000 followers don't have those. I have 10 of these mags.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top