Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2015 10:27:23 AM EDT
First of all, I am a Glock fanboy and make no bones about.  However, I recently got to play with a friend's VP9 and was absolutely impressed beyond words.  I was crazy jealous and now I have to have one.  Who has the best deals on them and where do I get spare parts?  I plan to get a threaded barrel and eventually will join the stamp collecting club and use the VP9 as a perminant host for a supressor.  

I'm here to learn, so teach me about the VP9 and help get me smart!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I was the same way when I was able to finally spend some time with a VP9 , and I was also a Glock guy. Now I did not give up my Glocks , but they have taken a backseat to the VP9 since I bought it at the beginning of the year.

Best deals I have seen on on the EE or any local FB gun trader pages. I paid $609 for mine with 3 mags and NS. I have also seen decent deals on slick guns , so try all avenues.

As for parts , well mags are hit or miss as when they pop up they seem to move pretty quickly. CDNN and a few others have had them, but not for long.

Other parts I have not seen and not sure why I would need? HK parts has a few things along with threaded barrels , so go there first maybe.

Good luck and enjoy
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I fully plan to keep carrying my G19 as my daily carry.  The VP9 will take over duty as the night stand gun, occasional IDPA SSP gun, and fun supressed range gun.  I've heard about HK Parts and after looking at Top Gun Supplies, Slick Guns and Deguns.net (the 3 least expensive on line that I could find) through Cabela's, Dallas Guns and Guns International (the most expensive 3 that I could find), I think I am going to hold out and try to find a used one on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The Glock is a 1981 design.  After 34 years, other improved concepts have been made upon their foundation, while for all practical purposes the Glock itself has remained unchanged.  To some eyes, it's a clunky/blocking design.   Others manufacturers have taking the core excellence of what a Glock is, and made better renditions with more features and better aesthetics.  There's really little reason to not purchase a more modernized flavor that the other manufactures are offering, such as the HK, but also the Walther P99, XD, etc.  

To be an ass: if you still are shooting a Glock, IMHO, you might as well drive up in one of these too :

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
handled one yesterday....wow
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome handgun, best all around pistol I've ever owned/shot!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The VP9 feels nice and sounds like its earning its reputation and will be a sound addition to your collection but the Glock 9s will do anything the VP9 will and cheaper to boot.  

Hope you find what you need.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I got mine for $550 from Palmetto State Armory.  Join their mailing list and you'll see it pop up from time to time.

Quoted:
The VP9 feels nice and sounds like its earning its reputation and will be a sound addition to your collection but the Glock 9s will do anything the VP9 will and cheaper to boot.  

View Quote

By the time you add steel sights to a Gen4 Glock, you're at VP9 pricing.  The VP9 offers different sizes of lateral grip panels, a feature the Glock doesn't even have.  VP9 is also full ambidextrous all the time, not so with Glock.  And the VP9 doesn't spit brass at the user's face.  So you're getting a bit more gun with the VP9 compared to the Glock.

Glock has HK (and just about everyone) beat in terms of aftermarket accessories though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If you buy the LEO model, it comes with real night sights and 3 mags. Then all you really need are a few more mags if you want. Plenty of holsters out there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my VP9 and look forward to a VP9SK as well as a VP45C....until then I can at least dream. I'm left handed and the VP9 seems like it was made for me. Having said that, I'm not giving up my Glocks.....I'm too heavily invested with magazines and accessories.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got mine for $550 from Palmetto State Armory.  Join their mailing list and you'll see it pop up from time to time.

By the time you add steel sights to a Gen4 Glock, you're at VP9 pricing.  The VP9 offers different sizes of lateral grip panels, a feature the Glock doesn't even have.  VP9 is also full ambidextrous all the time, not so with Glock.  And the VP9 doesn't spit brass at the user's face.  So you're getting a bit more gun with the VP9 compared to the Glock.

Glock has HK (and just about everyone) beat in terms of aftermarket accessories though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much this. The VP9 is a great value. It's also a Glock with better ergos, trigger, and finish. With that said, it should hold 17 rounds Not a big deal, though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I took my VP9LE to the range at lunchtime, my second time out with the gun. I put ten rounds into a 2" circle from ten yards, shooting offhand. The trigger is phenomenal, and the small backstrap and side panels made fitting it to my small hands easy.

I've owned many striker-fired pistols. I think the VP9 is the best of them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy one already. They're fantastic shooting pistols. Waiting on the VP45......teaser pic
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I took my VP9LE to the range at lunchtime, my second time out with the gun. I put ten rounds into a 2" circle from ten yards, shooting offhand. The trigger is phenomenal, and the small backstrap and side panels made fitting it to my small hands easy.

I've owned many striker-fired pistols. I think the VP9 is the best of them.
View Quote

This is one of the main reasons I'm drawn to it.

Incidentally, I don't understand why it took a gun manufacturer so damn long to design a gip that fills the hand well. The PPQ's grip is good too. Grip wise - VP9>PPQ>>>M&P>>>>>>Glock.

Pros of the VP9:

Trigger
Grip
Amazing brushed finish
Paddle mag release (definitely makes more sense than the button)
Aggressive/wide cocking serrations
Aesthetics - Best looking polymer handgun
Don't have to pull the trigger to take it down
Steel recoil spring
Soft recoil
Easy to shoot
Value - the price of the LE version with tritium sights and extra mag is unbeatable.

Negatives:

15 round capacity when the G17 is the same height and holds 17
The polymer on the grip is very thin. This makes me concerned about durability. With that said, the p30 (which has the same grip) is famous for it's longevity/durability. There are P30s with with over 100,000 rounds that are still running strong.
It's not offered as a single stack 9
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always been an HK fan but same as the OP my other handguns took a back seat when the VP9 arrived; it's now my go-to training secondary. I highly recommend you buy one.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I got my Grand Master card with the VP9. Just switched over to carrying it at work after Safariland released the duty holster for it with the X300U.

Probably the finest stock pistol I've ever run.

I wouldn't worry about extra parts except recoil springs. hkparts.net is a good place for that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Buy one already. They're fantastic shooting pistols. Waiting on the VP45......teaser pic
<a href="http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/Nsullivan8/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/20150723_194226_zpsebwds1kt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag111/Nsullivan8/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/20150723_194226_zpsebwds1kt.jpg</a>
View Quote

I am in the process of making a deal to sell my revolver to be able to fund this purchase.  I haven't already jumped on one because of the money issue.  I'm not broke, but there are higher priorities on the table than me having a new pistol.  But if the deal I'm working now goes through, then I'll have enough money to pick one up in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Just to add to the discussion the only two negatives I can say for the pistol, which really are minor issues.

I would have liked to have seen the VP9 similar in size to the G19

And the triggers can have a little " gritty" hang up , but there is a fix for that.

Again , all very minor stuff in my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Former Glock fan boy here....well...not really...they were just the best tools at the time.

I love my VP9 and it's now my EDC.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Although I am more used to LEM triggers, the VP9 is a great shooting gun with a great trigger. It's not all that more expensive than a Glock, either. I believe it's the new standard for striker fired pistols.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#20]
In reference to Glocks being old, that doesn't mean they cannot be updated.

In reference to Glocks being better on the budget, that's just dumb because my life has no price so if the better gun costs less or more, the better gun will win always. Brand name devotion fuckery is to be disregarded in these discussions as it makes no sense and reeks of derp.

The VP9 is the better striker, bar none. You can mod a Taran Tactical XD mag extension to work on the P30 mags if OMG, two less rounds ! ! ! ! is making you lose sleep at night. No polymer sights, faster trigger with a single action feel to it, and modular to all types and different shapes of hands.

One last thing, if you're getting this gun to compete but not for EDC, then you are not training as you fight. This is not good at all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Just picked mine up my VP9 my FFL last week and the first thing he asked me was, "Where did you get it? I've been told by our distributor that they are all out and there won't be any more until 2016."

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just picked mine up my VP9 my FFL last week and the first thing he asked me was, "Where did you get it? I've been told by our distributor that they are all out and there won't be any more until 2016."

View Quote

Has your dealer never heard of Gunbroker?  Plenty of VP9s for sale on there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#23]
when in the world is someone gonna make suppressor height 3 dot night sights for the thing. thats the only thing holding me back from buying it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
when in the world is someone gonna make suppressor height 3 dot night sights for the thing. thats the only thing holding me back from buying it.
View Quote

Maybe contact Dawson Precision?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Sold off a gun this morning and have been saving my allowance for a while. I'm joining the VP9 club this week!
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a VP9, it was nice, but I sold it.  I still have a pile of Glocks.  

In comparing the VP9 to the Glock 19, I can say that they're both excellent.  In my case, the VP9 couldn't do anything my Glock couldn't do (perhaps better in my hands).  

I'm not sure how you show that either is objectively better than the other.  So because I run the Glocks just as well, if not better...and because of less expensive magazines / parts, etc...Glock wins with me.

OP, in your post you said that you were able to "play" with one.  Did you shoot it?  If you said that you did I, missed it in the thread.  I only mention it because just because a gun feels better in the hand, that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll shoot it better.  I admit that the VP9's ergos certainly feel better in the hand, and look better than a Glock for that matter...that's why I bought one.  However, for me that wore off as I shot it.  

As I watch the EE and read threads like this, I think there are two pretty clear camps...people either turn around and sell the VP9 or they dump their Glock / M&P etc.  Just depends on the person I suppose.  

GSL, glad to see that you're still trying to teach people about "derp" as you so eloquently put it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I did get to shoot my friends VP9 and it was plenty accurate. Trigger pull was good and ergonomics were very pleasing. I am thankful and appreciative to everyone who has commented here. Your experience, knowledge and advice has not fallen on deaf earns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked up my brand spanking new VP9 today. Joyous day!!!!

Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Picked up my brand spanking new VP9 today. Joyous day!!!!

Pics to follow.
View Quote
In for pics, BE datecode ?

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Yep, pics or it didn't happen. How's she shoot?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Proving it happened
[/URL][/URL]

Didn't get to shoot it yet. Will probably be Sunday at the earliest with my work schedule and my wife being out of town this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks great! Now go shoot the heck out of it!
Love my VP9's! I'm up to three now!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice

Made this year!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got a VP9 on a whim, yesterday. Had an optic combo I wanted to trade for a new handgun to play with. Now, I've always been a big user of Glock pistols, but I had been interested in the VP9 when I heard about it.

Then I strolled into the store and saw it. "What is thaaaat?"

Had to put two bills on top of it, but it came home with me. This thing just fits my hand so well, fully ambi controls, very nice trigger for a striker-fire pistol, night sights standard.... Only thing I don't like is price of mags. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I finally got to take my VP9 out to the range this past Saturday after my local IDPA match.  

Bottom line up front:  FUCKIN AMAZEBALLS.

At roughly 7 yards, I was making one small raggity hole on an IDPA target.  At about 10 yards, I was making bigger holes in the target's head box.  I ran about 40 rounds and I let my friends run roughly the same about through it.  Albsolutely everybody who shot it was impressed with it.  I may have made a few conversions to the church of H&K.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#36]
It is a great gun! I think this was a full mag at 7 yds. But I go back and forth between my Glock 19 and VP9.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I was shooting 5" groups at 100 yards standing with mine today. These pistols really are FUCKIN AMAZEBALLS.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was shooting 5" groups at 100 yards standing with mine today. These pistols really are FUCKIN AMAZEBALLS.
View Quote

You could be a watchmaker with eyes and hands like that.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I am a Glock carrier (issued one at work and at blue label prices, I have bought a lot of Glocks). I have several HKs and when the VP9 was announced, I waited till I found a deal. While waiting, I snagged up every mag I could find on sale for $30 or less.

Months and months later, I finally bought the gun.  It's one of my primary carry guns now. I bought a threaded barrel for it (suppressor should be approved soon).

If you can find the LE version (3 mags and night sights), it's worth the extra $ or so. I paid $655 shipped for my LE version. My FFL doesn't charge me for transfers.

Old picture (I've had the gun NP3'd recently) with obligatory backwards loaded magazine.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#40]
OP make sure you play around with different side and back configurations. I have big mitts but like the small side and back panels. Some folks put different size side panels as well. One of the benefits of the VP9 IMO is the ability to customize the grip. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's really not that hard. I have females in some of my shooting classes hitting a C zone steel at 150 yards on the first day. It's all about aiming and not disturbing the sights when you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I wish I had seen this thread earlier but as a Glock fan I wasn't sure about the VP9 but I bought one and started shooting it last year and I now its my favorite. I carry it almost exclusively now and I'm planning on buying another one as a back up,
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#43]
It's okay, had one and sold it. The PPQ has a better trigger and same ergos. I prefer glocks and the VP9 didn't do anything the PPQ did better
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's okay, had one and sold it. The PPQ has a better trigger and same ergos, in my opinion. I prefer glocks and the VP9 didn't do anything the PPQ did better, again my opinion.
View Quote
Fixed it for you. Stating personal opinions without letting us knowing it is falsely stating things as if it's a fact. Personal opinions are not universal facts. It just means you you personally have an experienced opinion that while not universally agreeable, is still a personal opinion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's okay, had one and sold it. The PPQ has a better trigger and same ergos. I prefer glocks and the VP9 didn't do anything the PPQ did better
View Quote

I agree, I had 2 PPQs but had an issue with my PPQ Navy shooting suppressed and Walther USA doesn't even have a can to test their "SD" guns. Which as I learned after doing my own diagnoses using my own ammo that the Navy striker spring was the culprit.

I sold the PPQs, got 2 VP9s and a threaded bbl. Gun shot suppressed with no issues. Walther USA lost my business because they don't support what they sell. HK does, and for all the bitching I've heard about HK not loving the consumer, when I sent my gun in with a set of night sights for them to install it was a 4 day turnaround for $45. I had to send it in because of the racking assist plastic doohickies on the slide.

The VP9 is 2nd best trigger wise, but the company that builds it is head and shoulders over Walther.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fixed it for you. Stating personal opinions without letting us knowing it is falsely stating things as if it's a fact. Personal opinions are not universal facts. It just means you you personally have an experienced opinion that while not universally agreeable, is still a personal opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's okay, had one and sold it. The PPQ has a better trigger and same ergos, in my opinion. I prefer glocks and the VP9 didn't do anything the PPQ did better, again my opinion.

lol. k
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

lol. k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. k

My first thought as well when I read that lol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Just picked this up... The HK SFP-9 SF
Basically a VP9, with a slightly longer barrel and apparently a lighter trigger/shorter reset....(from what ive understood)

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just picked this up... The HK SFP-9 SF
Basically a VP9, with a slightly longer barrel and apparently a lighter trigger/shorter reset.... From what ive understood, its the "special forces" euro version of the VP9..
Anybody know any facts about it?

<a href="http://s652.photobucket.com/user/tommycanadabucket/media/HK%20SFP-9_zpspptpflc0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tommycanadabucket/HK%20SFP-9_zpspptpflc0.jpg</a>
View Quote
All I know is that I want it!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's really not that hard. I have females in some of my shooting classes hitting a C zone steel at 150 yards on the first day. It's all about aiming and not disturbing the sights when you pull the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats.
You're only one step away   from exhibition shooting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top