Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2016 2:30:08 PM EDT
I've been shooting Glocks since the early Mesozoic period and am considering transitioning to something different.  The VP9 has my attention as a potential greener pasture for my polymer, striker fired needs.

I have questions.

It looks like the OEM night sights are meps with annoying white outlines on the rear sight, is that correct?  I'm old and my eyes suck so if that's the case I'd probably put HD's or something on it myself.  

LGS has them listed at 613, is that reasonable?  I don't see where I can do much better online after FFL transfer, shipping and general ass ache.

I know mags and accessories will be more scarce/expensive than I'm used to with Glocks.  What else should I know?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats a good price for a lgs. Mine had it for 599 for the reg one. I too am a fan of the trijicon hd's. Mags are 40 plus. You can always sell the stock night sights on here and recoup some of that cash.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased my vp9 about 4 months ago. payed around 599 for it. I love it. the sights could be upgraded to true night sights. they glow in the dark once introduced to light but fade after being in the dark after a little while. the cheapest magazines I have found for it are around $43. online. from everything that i read they say that the P30 Mags will work for the vp9 which is great if you already have a P30, if not your back to spending $40 dollars for a mag. with all that being said, I love the gun and everything about it. fully ambidextrous, It shoots great. it comes with different size back straps, and also different sized side panels for the grip. a lot of other manufactures only give you the backstraps. comes with two mags. it was designed so that your hand sits higher while holding it which brings the recoil back towards you rather than getting the muzzle jump, this allows you to get back on target quicker. I can't say enough about this gun. The only gun i carried was my Glock or my Springfield XDM until i purchased the vp9. Now it is my everyday carry.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up a LE model (1 extra mag and true night sights) for $669. Most places around here have the standard package for 699 still.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys talked me into it.  Stumbled across a used one at the LGS for 569.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in the same boat as you. I had carried my beloved G17 on duty 5 years (one OIS with it), but after shooting the VP9, I was hooked! The gun felt as if it was surgically attached to my hand and accuracy the likes of which I can only describe as "using The Force".

There was a LOT of sacrafice in moving from the G17 to the VP9; Mags only held 15 rds instead of 17, Mags costs at least twice as much, no armorer support at my Dept (which has an abundance of Glock Armorers), aftermarket parts and accessories were more expensive and less prolific than Glock (it took almost a month to have Safariland make me a 6900 series holster for duty), and I'd have to get used to the HK magazine release (my hands are big enough that I can actuate it with my thumb or index finger) and the slide stop (my traditional firing grip covers it, sometimes, preventing the gun from locking open on the last round fired, which was never a problem with my G17).

Still, I made the switch in April 2015 and I am happy. I still have my G17 and no intentions of dumping it. I carry a G19 off duty and I am happy with that...until the VP9sk arrives that is.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
CDNN has them for $569.99 plus $17.00 shipping to your ffl.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CDNN has them for $569.99 plus $17.00 shipping to your ffl.
View Quote

I think I did OK.  569 OTD for LNIB.  Plus instant gratification :P
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Instant gratification is best gratification!
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Well shoot OP, you did not mess around and went for it right away

Good thing I read the whole thread, as I was going to offer you the option of shooting mine before you buy, lol.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I intended to just fondle one but I saw it LNIB so I went for it.  Now I need to get the sights swapped out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice OP you will not be disappointed with the buy. I bought my LE model for $609 with the nights and 3 mags last year and was a long time glock guy. I shoot the VP9 more consistent than I do my 19 or my 23 and just feels right.

The only thing I would have liked was that the overall size was the same as the 19/23. Of course mag prices kind of suck , but im not buying 30 of them so not a big deal in my opinion.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone else find it annoyting that the trigger is spongy when the pistol is not cocked?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does anyone else find it annoyting that the trigger is spongy when the pistol is not cocked?
View Quote
I'll give you the same answer that I gave your post in the other thread you posted asking the same question:

You're improperly dry firing it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#14]
There is zero point in diddling your trigger. It can't go off uncocked.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not what I meant.  I'm not talking about the gun "going off", which I believe is a fairly irresponsible term for firing a firearm.  "It just went off" is an exclamation for someone who caused themselves to negligently discharge their firearm.  

I am talking about how the trigger moves significantly when uncocked, somewhat similar to the feel of a pistol that is ready to fire.  In believe the "dead trigger", an indicator of the current status of the weapon, should be a tactile and visual indicator of the position of the striker. The VP9 trigger returns to its' original position, and has significant movement prior to giving that "dead" feel to the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'll give you the same answer that I gave your post in the other thread you posted asking the same question:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Replied in the other thread.  I am not.  I am fully aware of what dry fire is, and how to conduct it properly, in a safe manner.  Go read my response over there...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not what I meant.  I'm not talking about the gun "going off", which I believe is a fairly irresponsible term for firing a firearm.  "It just went off" is an exclamation for someone who caused themselves to negligently discharge their firearm.  

I am talking about how the trigger moves significantly when uncocked, somewhat similar to the feel of a pistol that is ready to fire.  In believe the "dead trigger", an indicator of the current status of the weapon, should be a tactile and visual indicator of the position of the striker. The VP9 trigger returns to its' original position, and has significant movement prior to giving that "dead" feel to the shooter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if things ain't working that's a good indication, no?

Interpret "going off" however you want. It was hyperbole. A euphemism. Whatever. How ever you want to take it...
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The VP9 has a superb trigger when it is ready to fire, and that's all that concerns me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Replied in the other thread.  I am not.  I am fully aware of what dry fire is, and how to conduct it properly, in a safe manner.  Go read my response over there...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is not right, like it's an attempt to use two threads to try and make an attempt at a frivolous "fault" and demonize it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The VP9 has a superb trigger when it is ready to fire, and that's all that concerns me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, no doubt about it

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Something is not right, like it's an attempt to use two threads to try and make an attempt at a frivolous "fault" and demonize it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not attempting to demonize anything...I was asking questions, that's it.  I like the gun.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not attempting to demonize anything...I was asking questions, that's it.  I like the gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My apologies then for accusing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accepted

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#24]
You should know that you will shoot more accurately and faster than with a Glock.

You should know that it has a paddle type mag release.  I transitioned to it with no issues…some folks hate it and it's a deal breaker.

$613 is a good price.

If you hunt around, you can find mags for $35 or so a piece instead of $50.

I EDC'ed a G23 for years, and since getting my VP9, It is all I have carried.

I won't go back to Glock willingly…and I like my Glocks.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You should know that you will shoot more accurately and faster than with a Glock.

You should know that it has a paddle type mag release.  I transitioned to it with no issues…some folks hate it and it's a deal breaker.

$613 is a good price.

View Quote

Mags at the LGS where I bought the VP9 are $45 so I have that as a plan B if I don't find a deal online.  In dry practice the paddle mag release isn't slowing me down any although I seem to randomly either use my thumb or index finger.  I guess my hand hasn't picked a favorite method yet.  I'll put a few hundred rounds through it this weekend and *hopefully* get new sights installed.  Other than different sights I don't think this gun needs anything.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mags at the LGS where I bought the VP9 are $45 so I have that as a plan B if I don't find a deal online.  In dry practice the paddle mag release isn't slowing me down any although I seem to randomly either use my thumb or index finger.  I guess my hand hasn't picked a favorite method yet.  I'll put a few hundred rounds through it this weekend and *hopefully* get new sights installed.  Other than different sights I don't think this gun needs anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$613 is a good price.

Last I knew, Midway was selling them for $38 EA I think.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#27]
What are you all carrying your VP9s in?  I typically carry IWB in an MTAC.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Galco King Tuk for IWB and a Bladetech Total Eclipse for OWB.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I keep the mags on my Midway USA wish list so they send me an email when the go on sale.  Last year they sent me a 10% off coupon for my birthday which happened to be right after I bought  VP9 so I think I paid about $34 per.

The only problem I had with the pistol were the grip panels and trigger bite.  When I first got it I made the grip as big as possible and it felt great until the first time I shot it and the trigger pinched the tip of my finger. I changed the grips back to the way it came out of the box and no more problems.  Great gun, and my wife shoots it better than I do...
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$613 is a good price.

You can use Ammo Seek to price mags anytime you're shopping.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got to the range with the VP9 so here are my observations.  I shot 100 rounds of WWB, 100 rounds of cheapo federal aluminum case, and 50 rounds of my carry HST's.  The combination of  natural pointability, and a really nice trigger resulted in some really gratifying groups.  I have big monkey hands but the small backstrap actually works great for me.  I had no pinching of my trigger finger, but it was a short range session. Ejection was very consistent and positive.  The Federal aluminum case was chosen as my BTF test since I know that is really weak stuff.  It ejected about a foot away, but 0 BTF.  The WWB was bouncing off the glass between the shooting lanes.  The HST's would probably have been in low earth orbit if I was at an outdoor range.  

Short version :  0 malfunctions, impressive accuracy, and felt like an extension of my hand.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had issues with Winchester White box with my CZ75B, M&P9 VTAC, and the VP9. I'd avoid if possible from my experience.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Infidel Ultra

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:12:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've had issues with Winchester White box with my CZ75B, M&P9 VTAC, and the VP9. I'd avoid if possible from my experience.
View Quote

I shoot a ton of it in .45 and 9mm without issue.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:19:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So have I. Their .45 works great and always goes bang, and is good to go to reload. Their 9x19 however, not so great. And it's been mentioned in the reloading forum that some of their 9x19 brass is out of spec to reload, and I have dealt with quite a few out of spec 9x19 cases that end up in the trash.

When contacted to address the issue, their CS is in denial. At least when I contacted Speer about a brand new out of the box cartridge coming loose, not only did they replace my factory box of ammo when I sent it in, I was sent two boxes of 50 count GDHP's back for my trouble with apologies when all I sent in was one box of 20.

Was just trying to give a heads up, was not meant to disturb you, sir.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So have I. Their .45 works great and always goes bang, and is good to go to reload. Their 9x19 however, not so great. And it's been mentioned in the reloading forum that some of their 9x19 brass is out of spec to reload, and I have dealt with quite a few out of spec 9x19 cases that end up in the trash.

When contacted to address the issue, their CS is in denial. At least when I contacted Speer about a brand new out of the box cartridge coming loose, not only did they replace my factory box of ammo when I sent it in, I was sent two boxes of 50 count GDHP's back for my trouble with apologies when all I sent in was one box of 20.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't disturb me, I've just had good luck with it I guess.  I've never tried to reload their 9mm brass though.

Assuming you're in the Phx area, can you recommend a local shop for sight installation?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 3:25:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Well apparently they fail MAC's torture tests.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You didn't disturb me, I've just had good luck with it I guess.  I've never tried to reload their 9mm brass though.

Assuming you're in the Phx area, can you recommend a local shop for sight installation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hah, I did not see your edit. I'm up north of you in the Prescott area. i either use Vang Comp in Chino Valley or an LGS where I'm at.

We're having a hometown shoot at the end of this month, the thread is in hometown if you're interested.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wasn't he using (shilling and pimping ) that Turkish 9x19 ammo when that happened?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wasn't he using (shilling and pimping ) that Turkish 9x19 ammo when that happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know, don't care, I'm just having a little fun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Finally got to the range with the VP9 so here are my observations.  I shot 100 rounds of WWB, 100 rounds of cheapo federal aluminum case, and 50 rounds of my carry HST's.  The combination of  natural pointability, and a really nice trigger resulted in some really gratifying groups.  I have big monkey hands but the small backstrap actually works great for me.  I had no pinching of my trigger finger, but it was a short range session. Ejection was very consistent and positive.  The Federal aluminum case was chosen as my BTF test since I know that is really weak stuff.  It ejected about a foot away, but 0 BTF.  The WWB was bouncing off the glass between the shooting lanes.  The HST's would probably have been in low earth orbit if I was at an outdoor range.  

Short version :  0 malfunctions, impressive accuracy, and felt like an extension of my hand.
View Quote

I thought aluminum cased ammo was a no go in hk's because of the stepped chamber?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I thought aluminum cased ammo was a no go in hk's because of the stepped chamber?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que? Is this a thing?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew about the stepped chamber.  I didn't know alum case ammo was verboten.  The 100 rounds of it that went through my HK didn't seem to hurt anything.  This is probably information in the manual I didn't read huh?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I knew about the stepped chamber.  I didn't know alum case ammo was verboten.  The 100 rounds of it that went through my HK didn't seem to hurt anything.  This is probably information in the manual I didn't read huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know and I'm curious as well. I've read that it use to be in the manual but isn't anymore. I guess from what I've read, the aluminum case doesn't expand as well as brass and with the stepped chamber there can be cracks in the aluminum case. This is alp things I've read and haven't experienced personally. I'm gonna try some with mine as see how the cases look. I was always scared to do it but reading about people having no problems, I'm gonna try it for myself. Alot of people like the federal aluminum ammo for the price and its suppose to be pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't know and I'm curious as well. I've read that it use to be in the manual but isn't anymore. I guess from what I've read, the aluminum case doesn't expand as well as brass and with the stepped chamber there can be cracks in the aluminum case. This is alp things I've read and haven't experienced personally. I'm gonna try some with mine as see how the cases look. I was always scared to do it but reading about people having no problems, I'm gonna try it for myself. Alot of people like the federal aluminum ammo for the price and its suppose to be pretty accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've fired Federal aluminum out of mine, works really good actually and the recoil is very soft, making for faster follow up shots.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Raven OWB, a JM custom OWB and blade tech IWB.  All solid holsters.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

LGS has them listed at 613, is that reasonable?  I don't see where I can do much better online after FFL transfer, shipping and general ass ache.
View Quote

im in the phoenix area and contemplating getting one myself. which lgs had it listed at 613?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

im in the phoenix area and contemplating getting one myself. which lgs had it listed at 613?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out Arizona Firearms down by ASU, they're good people.

http://arizona-firearms.com/
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#49]
thanks. Ill check em out
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Try buying usp45 mags. I never see them for sale used and new are 55.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top