Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2013 1:51:23 PM EDT
I have been looking at buying a 45LC wheel gun and a friend showed me this Raging Judge that would allow me to shoot 410/45LC/454 Casull sounds like my type of weapon but wanted to know if anyone has shot it yet or heard anything about it? Thanks!

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=702&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a big Taurus fan, but I'd still like to have one of those.        

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In, for the hopes someone posts a video of one being shot.

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I can tell you I've personally sent back more Taurus Judge's in every configuration to be fixed that all other firearms combined
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can tell you I've personally sent back more Taurus Judge's in every configuration to be fixed that all other firearms combined
View Quote

Funny I know about 10 people who have one configuration or another of it and never had a problem with them. Maybe its just they don't shoot it enough. What problems have you had?
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Funny I know about 10 people who have one configuration or another of it and never had a problem with them. Maybe its just they don't shoot it enough. What problems have you had?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the most common issue I've seen is they cinders compley locking up and brand new guns with timing completely off. Seen dead triggers and probably some other issues as well. This coming from selling guns for 4 years until we finally dropped Taurus completly

Link Posted: 11/22/2013 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Probably the most common issue I've seen is they cinders compley locking up and brand new guns with timing completely off. Seen dead triggers and probably some other issues as well. This coming from selling guns for 4 years until we finally dropped Taurus completly

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a airweight 38slp with a 1.5 inch barrel bought it back in 2009 new for the 2001 price of $175 never had a problem with it. Might have to watch for that if I pick this weapon I'm wanting to get something that shoots 45LC because it when loaded right is a hell of a round hunting or SD. I was told about this wheel gun by a friend who owns a judge let me shoot it a few times why I like it because it can shoot all the calibers and holds 6 rounds!
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Raging Judge Magnum 513 revolver.
I cannot express how happy I am with this gun.
I have tried a variety of ammunition through it, most of what you see online (negative) is based upon OLD information.
Since the original Judge release, a variety of 410 and 45 long colt ammunition has been designed JUST for the handgun series.
For a fantastic informational video, search YouTube for "judging the judge" or the User "shootingthebull410".

Bird shot, is for the birds, and not literally, use only in shotguns, in fact, that goes for most 410 ammunition.
The shorter barrel (measured as a shotgun barrel, is 6.5+3 for the cylinder makes it a 9.5 inch shotgun, and ratings on shells give info on 18" barrels.
So you won't get quite the fps listed on the ammo box (except for the ammunition specifically designed for use in the judges/governor).
Like the PDX1, etc.
If you are going to use the 410 shells, stick to 00 and 000 buckshot.
The pellets are large, and therefore 'bounce' around less in the barrel(fill/fit the barrel better) and will travel straighter, with less spread.
The smaller the pellets, the more spread you will get, unlike with the 18" 410 shotgun, which will keep a tighter grouping.

45 long colts, they sound and feel like a cap gun.  It is amazing the lack of recoil compared to others.  I can shoot really close groupings with them.
Lehigh maximum expansion rounds are expensive, but they pack a hit, the person I mentioned before did a video on it too, priceless.

410 shells are a little louder, I guess they sound "normal", and have a little kick, not much, though some 3" ones can pack a small whollop.
Stick to the larger pellet shells and slugs if using for self defence or game.
If using for snakes, or close up shooting of game, then you can use any game loads you want.
Haven't gotten to use it for skeet ... Yet...

454 Casull.
The smile maker.
The watermelon slushie maker.
Watermelon cream... For your coffee?
There are many different loads of this shell, but I use the full loads, 1900 fps ones.
It kicks pretty good, but I still haven't figured out what all these people are flinching about in videos...
Shaking their hands "owchie, that hurt"... Whatever.. Wusses ...
I've shot 40 rounds in one session (expensive, about $1.50 a round) but it was SO worth it.
Accurate, if you can hold onto it properly, takes a few shots, but you'll find your sweet spot.
It will put a smile on your face, silence any gun range "what the hell was THAT !?!?" you'll hear often.. Then other will gradually start shooting again, or you will draw a crowd of curious onlookers.
I have offered for others to shoot it, but nobody has had the cahones to do it.
(which is fine by me, at $1.50 a round)
The video that ShootingTheBull410 has of the 45 acp +p round versus the 454 is amazing.
It picks up the 18 pound block of gel, shoves the one behind it off the screen, splits the table from it's frame, and expands the gel block to almost twice it's size just from the impact.

I would NOT use the 454 for self defense.. Unless in a wooded area, or if they were lined up 10 deep, and I wanted a "strike!".
I would suggest the Lehigh maximum expansion 45 long colt for self defense.
The 410 buckshot, 00 and 000, I would not use for self defense outside of the house, though you could still get wall penetration, so it's still an iffy one.

Personally, I love it, the variety of ammunition choices, some are for fun, others are for serious down to seriousness of ALL seriousness applications.

Reliability, I haven't had it long enuf to wear it out.
I know of a few people that have had Taurus guns, only one had an issue, and Taurus fixed it with no problems since. (One of the older semi autos).
Again though, a lot of what you hear is repetition of old data (see the "judging the Judge" video, part one.
Part two is the "as a shotgun" application.
This ShootingTheBull410 guy, he is very informative, tests things from many angles, and many "reviewers" could learn a thing or twenty from him about reviewing something.  aND he actually replies to your questions if you have any.

It IS a heavy gun, with only 6 shots.
BUT, if you still need to... You can... Literally... Pistol whip something with it... 5 pounds of metal HAS to hurt.

Hopefully, this answers some of your questions, and gets you in the right direction.
There is also a video somewhere, a guy is shooting a target at 200 yards with it.
That has GOT to take a steady hand.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's an off the wall question.  What would be the most effective way to use this gun on coyotes?  I have a particular operation in mind, involving, uh, mounted combat with them and one of these 410 handguns came to mind because I will only have one hand to shoot.  I'm not sure what kind of range I would have, if one of these is even feasible to shoot one handed etc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here's an off the wall question.  What would be the most effective way to use this gun on coyotes?  I have a particular operation in mind, involving, uh, mounted combat with them and one of these 410 handguns came to mind because I will only have one hand to shoot.  I'm not sure what kind of range I would have, if one of these is even feasible to shoot one handed etc.
View Quote

Hope this might help. My Uncle a Nam Vet lost his arm he has owned a few weapons some legal some not so! He was asking me about Legal weapons I told him a wide loop Mare's leg would fit what he needs! You can go from the mild 357 mag to full power 45 LC! Really a 410 pistol is only good for snakes or something else that is small game!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Raging Bull 8 3/8" and it is not bad to shoot. I put 20 rounds through it and it was flawless.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Never been real impressed with Taurus or the whole "judge" thing .

Never seen a design idea that so caught up people who seem to think it is the best thing ever .

Yeah they can shoot lots of different ammo but they have stupid clumsy balance and the generally poor Taurus trigger isn't helped by the super heavy cylinder.

The smaller judge models do have some use as a farm or ranch pest gun that can be carried on the belt but that is really the only good thing I have to say about it .

The ability to use it for self defence is pretty lame with any .410 load and if you want 45acp or 45colt (both excellent for defence go find yourself a S&W in one of those calibers that will have some balance and a usable trigger.

I can't fault Taurus for what has likely been a goldmine for them but it doesn't do much for me.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The most effective way to use a Taurus judge for hunting is to sell it and buy a good rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top