Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/17/2010 6:06:41 PM EDT
I recently felt a SERPA holster for my Glock 23. I liked it better than my Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. I have always been a fan of under shoulder carry, however the carrying on the hip has been tempting me. Any reason to avoid the SERPA? I like the release of the push button over the thumb breaks that I am used too.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like the "hard shell" holsters of any brand...they are so bulky and if you do any thing physical and fall on it they are subject to breakage and they HURT more than a soft (HSGI for example) holster.

Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll find this holster has a Ford/Chevy style following/hatred. Just as many swear by it as swear at it.

I've got one, and about all you'll get that's objective is this –– it's pretty well made, and the push button does exactly what it's advertised to do (for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint).

Now for the subjective part, I like mine plenty and don't really have any plans to replace it in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I use my mostly for open carry.  I absolutely adore it.
Solid, solid, solid, quick draw, stable, secure, did I mention solid?
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no issues with mine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Love all 4 of mine including a duty level3
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two of them; one on my Battle Belt for my 1911 and the other one for my agency-issue P2000; they are nice and solid; no complaints.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine for my 1911. I know that one school/trainer (Gabe Suarez?) doesn't allow them for the glock for fear of AD/ND. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love mine for my 1911. I know that one school/trainer (Gabe Suarez?) doesn't allow them for the glock for fear of AD/ND. YMMV

James Yeager. And those that would fellate james will be along shortly to tell you that the holster is absolute junk.  Of course these guys have never used one or even felt one, so they have no clue. Experts I tell ya.

I on the other hand, like many here, have used them for years.  It's beena  good rig.  I concealed carry in raven gear though, much lower profile.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

James Yeager. And those that would fellate james will be along shortly to tell you that the holster is absolute junk.  Of course these guys have never used one or even felt one, so they have no clue. Experts I tell ya.

I on the other hand, like many here, have used them for years.  It's beena  good rig.  I concealed carry in raven gear though, much lower profile.

Anybody who has an ND because they use a Serpa isn't qualified to discuss carrying a firearm.

Anybody who disallows them from their course is someone I will never take a course from.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys, will be placing an order shortly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I find it interesting no one mentioned that the Serpa rides a bit further away from the body than a lot of other holsters.  Not an issue for open carry or range carry, but this does make it more difficult to conceal for CCW.  Note I didn't say impossible, as I know a number of folks do use them for CCW, but when compared to other OWB holsters, it does not pull the gun tight to the body.

I own three Serpas.  They get used on the range, when taking the dogs out for a stroll on the back 40, and when working around the yard.  But for CCW, it is IWB/AIWB for better concealment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I most likely will not be using the SERPA for concealed carry, will probally stick to the shoulder for that. Looking for something with easy access for hiking/hunting while wearing layers of clothing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I used a Serpa dropleg for a year in Iraq and it still works fine.  Never had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I find it interesting no one mentioned that the Serpa rides a bit further away from the body than a lot of other holsters.  Not an issue for open carry or range carry, but this does make it more difficult to conceal for CCW.  Note I didn't say impossible, as I know a number of folks do use them for CCW, but when compared to other OWB holsters, it does not pull the gun tight to the body.

I own three Serpas.  They get used on the range, when taking the dogs out for a stroll on the back 40, and when working around the yard.  But for CCW, it is IWB/AIWB for better concealment.

I won't use them for CCW.  That's what my Desantis Scorpion is for.

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a great holster! I have used SERPA's for the past two years while deployed to the middle east. One SERPA with a paddle I used for everyday stuff around the FOB. The other SERPA was a drop leg that I used when I wore armor and the rest of the standard kit. Both are beat up pretty good but still work great. I have fallen, jumped, ran into, and been thrown into all kinds of things and these holsters have held up great. I cant say enough about the SERPA!
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one for my G21. The holster itself is good to go but their paddle attachment absolutely sucks, and is flimsy. On a belt loop attachment or a thigh it's ok tho. Definately stay away from the paddle versions. YMMV.

I.C.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have one for my G21. The holster itself is good to go but their paddle attachment absolutely sucks, and is flimsy. On a belt loop attachment or a thigh it's ok tho. Definately stay away from the paddle versions. YMMV.

I.C.

I personally don't find anything wrong with the paddle attachment.  I find it just as sturdy and more comfortable than the belt loop attachment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#19]
No Serpa's allowed:

http://www.michigantrainer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=6
http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/studentpolicies-faq.aspx
http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/faq
Andy Stanford doesn't like them.
http://www.rangemaster.com/newsletter/2007-09_RM-Newsletter.pdf page 4

So some of the most respected instructors in the country won't allow them for safety reasons but you blow it off because of one instructor you don't like....

Smooth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No Serpa's allowed:

http://www.michigantrainer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=6
http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/studentpolicies-faq.aspx
http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/faq
Andy Stanford doesn't like them.
http://www.rangemaster.com/newsletter/2007-09_RM-Newsletter.pdf page 4

So some of the most respected instructors in the country won't allow them for safety reasons but you blow it off because of one instructor you don't like....

Smooth.

If suarez and TR don't allow them, that validates my choice to carry them (as I did for years in NSW).  None of the ones you listed are "the most respected instructors in the country", and the most respected instructors in the country do not ban them at their courses.

If Pat Rogers says they're dangerous, I'll start listening.  If Blackwater bans them in their courses, I'll start listening.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I CCW with a CTAC. Everything else has a SERPA.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#22]
sound logic if there ever was.

My point was that it's not from one dude's mouth, but a collective observation.

Carry on, You've obviously got all of the answers despite proof to the contrary.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

James Yeager. And those that would fellate james will be along shortly to tell you that the holster is absolute junk. Of course these guys have never used one or even felt one, so they have no clue. Experts I tell ya.

One finally showed up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
sound logic if there ever was.

My point was that it's not from one dude's mouth, but a collective observation.

Carry on, You've obviously got all of the answers despite proof to the contrary.

A collective observation from people who are not qualified to make it is valueless.

I don't recognize 2 of the links you provided, but I definitely recognize the other two –– and they're on my "never, not even if they were the only place to shoot on the planet" list.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If Pat Rogers says they're dangerous, I'll start listening.  If Blackwater bans them in their courses, I'll start listening.  

Edited...VA-gunnut

I can't be at 1000's of classes a year to see what works and what doesn't, so I have to take the anecdotal evidence into consideration in these cases.

If there is some evidence that a holster could possibly lead a person to dragging their finger on the trigger, then I'll pass.

You have the discipline to not shoot yourself, then that's awesome, but a person should at least see both sides of the argument.

Keep posting, you're almost at 6000 posts!

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

I can't be at 1000's of classes a year to see what works and what doesn't, so I have to take the anecdotal evidence into consideration in these cases.

If there is some evidence that a holster could possibly lead a person to dragging their finger on the trigger, then I'll pass.

You have the discipline to not shoot yourself, then that's awesome, but a person should at least see both sides of the argument.

No, I prefer to take courses from people with actual credentials.  But I digress –– we probably shouldn't derail this thread further on that particular discussion.

In a discussion of holsters, anyone who claims that a Serpa caused them to have an ND probably shouldn't be near a handgun.  The motion to press the lock button does not naturally extend to putting one's finger in the trigger guard –– in fact, the act of drawing the handgun should drag your finger out of the lock and straight along the frame of the gun.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

No, I prefer to take courses from people with actual credentials.  But I digress –– we probably shouldn't derail this thread further on that particular discussion.

In a discussion of holsters, anyone who claims that a Serpa caused them to have an ND probably shouldn't be near a handgun.  The motion to press the lock button does not naturally extend to putting one's finger in the trigger guard –– in fact, the act of drawing the handgun should drag your finger out of the lock and straight along the frame of the gun.

I am going to have to agree with my fellow Chief, anyone who has a ND and blames it on the holster should probably not be handling firearms.  I have been shooting from several SERPAS for a couple of years and had no issues what so ever however I am not an "operator" just a guy who likes to shoot.  I have done some classes and shot some matches using them.  I got educated when I got my first SERPA and it took about 30 seconds to master the technique of the finger drag.  My 2 cents, I like my SERPAs and if a course will not let me train utilizing them it is not the course for me.

OP, all I can say about any holster is to get one and try it.  There are a lot of agencies and units running them with ZERO issues.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can we please not fuck this thread up.

Sorry

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Will be purchasing one in the next week or so.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one for my XD and my 642. Had the one for the XD for a good while now.

Having read of the aforementioned issues, I still can't comprehend the disconnect that associates manipulating the SERPA release and sticking your finger into the trigger guard. I haven't found it to be anywhere near inherent to the design.

I suppose the only appropriate response to such an occurrence is "You're doing it wrong."
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#33]
as stated above - SHERPA Holsters will have Lovers and Haters  –– once someone has their mind made up - no amount of logic can change it,  see example below as i can only speak from my personal experience
I own and use SHERPA's (open belt carry / drop-leg / cross draw on the chest rig)- i have carried SHERPA's (w/Sig pistol) in Iraq and Afghanistan i have had Zero problems with them.
I have run into people who HATE the SHERPA, (some of them have until recently been teaching firearms at FLETC) some of these instructors or "they" claim that the release gets sand in it and jam's, and that "they" had to break the holsters open with pliers to get the weapons out - i asked them to demonstrate this happening because i have crawled through my share of sand piles ( both Iraqi and Afghani) and have never had this same problem (no demonstration was ever provided).  

to each his own as i have never had one piece of equipment firearm or otherwise that didnt fail at one point or another
A wiser man than me once said - "find shit that works for you - because the enemy isn't going to try to kill your school teacher he will try to kill you"  ( i may or may not have been in the front leaning rest at that point)
just my opinion - your individual results may vary

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#34]
There have been known cases of a small pebble getting in there & blocking the button from working, no matter how hard you try; wind up pretty much needing tools to get it to release.

And that is NOT what I would bet my life on...

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There have been known cases of a small pebble getting in there & blocking the button from working, no matter how hard you try; wind up pretty much needing tools to get it to release.

Just my 2 cents

This...

I tried the SERPA for my issue M9 during MOB training at Ft. Dix a few years back, and it got so gunked up, the release mechanism did not seem to work properly. Eventually, it would not work at all. I ended up going with the Safariland 6004 for the M9, which worked alot better. The 6004 is a little more money, but it seemed to work better in an environment where it would see a good bit of abuse.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents

I had this problem with my serpa, but it was a piece of plastic (maybe flashing left over from their mold) that got stuck behind the lock/unlock "button". Luckily it wasn't in time of "dire need" and eventually i got it out. Now i removed the holster from the paddle, mounted it under my bedside table, and have a nice little place to keep my glock when i go to bed- easy access, and no fumbling in the dark when things go bump in the night.

I switched to a supertuck for my daily carry, and couldn't be happier. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents

This...

I tried the SERPA for my issue M9 during MOB training at Ft. Dix a few years back, and it got so gunked up, the release mechanism did not seem to work properly. Eventually, it would not work at all. I ended up going with the Safariland 6004 for the M9, which worked alot better. The 6004 is a little more money, but it seemed to work better in an environment where it would see a good bit of abuse.

I have both, have gotten both nasty as hell abd haven't had issues with either. The 6004 is however just to big and bulky. Mine is also adjusted as high as I can get it without the bottom strap doing damage to the boys. And its still to low.

Serpas are a very versatile holster.  Chest, thigh, belt. The ability to chest mount is awesome for getting in and outta vehicles.

All that being said, my daily carry is a raven phantom as my carry gun has a light.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I wore a serpa drop leg holster in Iraq for a year and I loved it. It carried very well, I loved it on foot patrol and riding in the trucks, it never failed me. The only bad thing I'll say about it is, if you're using it hard everyday its not exactly nice on the finish, but then again I doubt my beretta had the best finish to begin with

As for those retards that shoot themselves with the serpa holsters, if they had followed the 4 rules of firearms safety then they wouldn't of shot themselves. Those types of people are bound to shoot themselves with any holster you give them. Granted the serpa is a hard shell and if you break the finger rule and go to holster it with say a glock, the chances of something happening are higher. Just follow the rules and its a awesome holster.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Question: If I were to buy the G17 model, would it work with my 19 and 26?
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I love both of mine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I have seen 1 CH-46 pilot in AFG whose M9 got locked up in his Serpa and it required tools to cut it out.  But that being said, I still use one and I know hundreds of other Marines who got them issued and use them without issue.

I am not sure how the NDs happen with them, the release button indexes your trigger finger with the frame and you physically have to lower your finger to gointo trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents

This...

Really? I have been issued both a Safariland ALS and a SERPA. Both have been abused and put through a ton of abuse, including being dragged through the mud while low crawling, amongst other things. Guess which is broken and what works. My SERPA still works, the ALS doesn't. I got the ALS replaced since my SERPA hasn't gotten in country yet, and I use it on my IOTV only. I use my paddle SERPA as my fobbit holster and I love it. In my unit, people hate the Safariland, and love the SERPA. I trust my life on a SERPA and have no issues doing so.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#43]
The Serpa CQB is a difficult holster to conceal under light clothing. It's fast to draw from in part because the pistol is positioned away from the body. I have seen numerous Police Officers in Chicago wearing the CQB openly. A few months ago an officer had the holster ripped from his belt while the pistol was still inside (using the belt shank-not the paddle.) The attachment to the belt shank is weak.Luckily he managed to wrestle it back and shot the offender. It seems odd that instructors would not sanction this holster at shooting schools. It's rigidity helps to avoid ADs while reholstering. That said, the older high wall Glock 21 Serpas were recalled after a Glock fired while an officer was reholstering it improperly. The side of the holster was then cut lower by Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Question: If I were to buy the G17 model, would it work with my 19 and 26?

I can answer for a fact that the 27, 26 and 19 all fit just fine in a 19 holster.  I don't have a 17, so I can't go that far.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
+1 for serpa I carry my H&K USP Compact in it and never had any issues.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I absolutely love my BHI Holster. It's my primary holster for my G19. I use the paddle, by the way.

Now, for the AD thing, here's my take. I understand that people have ADs with these, but that's a matter of the shooter, and not the gear.
The anti-serpa types claim that anyone's finger will automatically go into the trigger guard, causing untold problems. Total BS, in my opinion.

Here's why: My index fingers are both bent to the inside from years (and years and years) of doing finger-tip pushups.  Being like this, it's a
double edged sword with shooting, Some aspects of trigger control is easier, others not so much.  Now, with my slightly twisted fingers, I would
think that if anyone would have a problem with an AD from a Serpa holster, it would be me.

Guess what? Never had one. Training correctly will do that for you.

Link Posted: 4/1/2010 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I would NEVER use a Serpa holster. Never.

I witnessed one lock up first-hand.  Would not give the gun up.

Here's video...

click
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't like them for Glocks because their newest redesign allows the pistol to be loose in the holster. This redesign was to allow the pistol to be holstered backwards and not get stuck in the holster.

Must I post the videos of me burying a SERPA - multiple times - in dirt, sand, pebbles etc and not having any problems with drawing the handgun?

I have seen more Safariland holster failures than I have SERPA holster failures, I do use both types of holsters, depending on the type of firearm (as outlined above). Also, for a weapon mounted light, Serpa holsters are wholly inadequate.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a SERPA and it is doable for OC situations as it is my only OWB holster, but I'll probably be moving onto something else soon.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#50]
does anyone know if the Sig P220 Carry will fit in the standard P220 SERPA?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top