Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2005 6:39:49 PM EDT
I am looking for a new gun just for fun at the range.  The .45 GAP cartridge looks interesting to me and might be something fun for plinking.  Anyone here shoot the .45 GAP round yet?  If you have tell me what you thought of it.  I'm looking at getting the Springfield XD with 5" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Glock 37 about 2 months ago and love it!! It is very accurate and more controllable than my Glock 23; the recoil isn't as snappy. Everyone who bags on the the GAP always point to the fact that you can't get it at Walmart. True, but in this age of the internet you can get whatever you need within a week. If you want a 45 but in the 9mm size pistol it is the way to go!
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If we pressure WalMart - they will stock it...
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
What was wrong with the .45ACP?
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am looking for a new gun just for fun at the range.  The .45 GAP cartridge looks interesting to me and might be something fun for plinking.  Anyone here shoot the .45 GAP round yet?  If you have tell me what you thought of it.  I'm looking at getting the Springfield XD with 5" barrel.

I have a G37 and G38 both in 45 GAP. I think the concept behind the round is great, it allows you to put a big bore cartridge in a 9/40 size frame. For some this isn't appealing as the 45 acp does just fine. The 45 ACP in the Glock model 21 & 30 is a fat frame which I particularly dont care for. If you have a large hand, this would be ok. In a nutshell, the GAP round is a solution for some, and not for others. I will add though that the Glock pistols in 45 GAP shoot exceptionally well, especially the G38. It's low recoil and accuracy make it a pleasure to shoot.

As far as ammo availablity, I will have to agree with Lumpy. It's availability is sporadic, unless you order online. I think you will see this change as the round seems to be catching on a little more with the recent intro of the XD, SA Micro, and G38 & G39.

Link Posted: 6/1/2005 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Plinking readily available in large affordable quantities...

.45GAP aint.

Lumpy beat me to it.

"Plinking" and ".45 GAP" are not compatible.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Plinking readily available in large affordable quantities...

.45GAP aint.

My thoughts EXACTLY.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I should explain my idea of "plinking" with the intended 45 GAP.  I dont expect to be shooting a ton of rounds with a gun in 45GAP.  Usually when I go to the range I spend most of my time shooting a AR, M1 Garrand, and M1A.  Then I usually end the day with a .40 S&W and 9mm.  If I get an XD in 45GAP it would be just a box of ammo at max just for something differant.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
What exactly is the differences between 45ACP and 45GAP?
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#11]
If you roll your own then this caliber has a lot of potential.  I'm not sure what brass costs these days but I don't see anything wrong with a .45 cal holes from a 9mm sized weapon.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you roll your own then this caliber has a lot of potential.  I'm not sure what brass costs these days but I don't see anything wrong with a .45 cal holes from a 9mm sized weapon.

A lot of potential? as compared to what?

Is this round not designed to Identically duplicate the .45ACP? just in a shorted package?
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this round not designed to Identically duplicate the .45ACP? just in a shorted package?

Load Data for 45 GAP:
Brass = .01860 (assuming about 5 uses per piece but you will probably get many more than this)
Bullet = .08087 (185 gr JHP from Montana Gold Bullets)
Powder = .01293 (5.5gr of Hodgon HP-38 = approx. 951 FPS)
Primer = .015

Total Cost Per Round:  $0.1275 (and this is a good quality round at a better price than most plinking rounds)

Load Data for .45 ACP
Brass =  .01980 (assuming about 5 uses per piece but you will probably get many more than this)
Bullet =  .08087 (185 gr JHP from Montana Gold Bullets)
Powder = .01387 (5.9gr of Hodgon HP-38 = approx. 906 FPS)
Primer = .015

Total Cost Per Round:  $0.1295 (this is also a good quality round at a better price than most plinking rounds)

The advantage to this round is like stated before, it provides .45 acp stopping power in a 9mm sized package.  Hold a Glock 21 and then a 17 to get an idea of how much difference there is between the grip size.  Nothing wrong with .45 ACP and from what I can tell there is nothing wrong with .45 GAP provided you reload.  There is a definate advantage that this round provides.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Load Data for 45 GAP:
Brass = .01860 (assuming about 5 uses per piece but you will probably get many more than this)
Bullet = .08087 (185 gr JHP from Montana Gold Bullets)
Powder = .01293 (5.5gr of Hodgon HP-38 = approx. 951 FPS)
Primer = .015

Total Cost Per Round:  $0.1275 (and this is a good quality round at a better price than most plinking rounds)

Load Data for .45 ACP
Brass =  .01980 (assuming about 5 uses per piece but you will probably get many more than this)
Bullet =  .08087 (185 gr JHP from Montana Gold Bullets)
Powder = .01387 (5.9gr of Hodgon HP-38 = approx. 906 FPS)
Primer = .015

Total Cost Per Round:  $0.1295 (this is also a good quality round at a better price than most plinking rounds)

The advantage to this round is like stated before, it provides .45 acp stopping power in a 9mm sized package.  Hold a Glock 21 and then a 17 to get an idea of how much difference there is between the grip size.  Nothing wrong with .45 ACP and from what I can tell there is nothing wrong with .45 GAP provided you reload.

yep, it is basically a duplicate of an already proven round.....

and by the way.   I'll never hold a glock.       I am allergic to plastic

If I had hands small enough that I couldn't grip a proper weapon in .45ACP .  I'd get a .40 or a 9

I see this round as filling a need that really isn't there........Kind of like the short magnum rifle craze..........

Maybe i am Just "OLD SCHOOL"
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yep, it is basically a duplicate of an already proven round.....This may be true but there are many rounds out there that are basically duplicates of already proven rounds.  .308 vs 30-06 is just one that comes to mind.

and by the way.   I'll never hold a glock.       I am allergic to plastic I was just trying to give you a size comparision

If I had hands small enough that I couldn't grip a proper weapon in .45ACP .  I'd get a .40 or a 9 That's your preference but someone who desires a .45 cal weapon in a smaller package might not have the same outlook as you do.

I see this round as filling a need that really isn't there........Kind of like the short magnum rifle craze..........Don't worry.  This round isn't going to replace the .45 ACP.

Maybe i am Just "OLD SCHOOL" Yes, yes you are

Link Posted: 6/6/2005 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Im old school too. The venrable .45 ACP was with us before any of us were born. Brass and ammo are  reasonable. alot cheaper that GAP so why do it? 41AE part two in my opinion. I will stick with my ACP it has never failed me yet. If XD's came in .45 ACP i think the Gap would already be Dead. Just my opinion
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If I had hands small enough that I couldn't grip a proper weapon in .45ACP .  I'd get a .40 or a 9

I see this round as filling a need that really isn't there........Kind of like the short magnum rifle craze..........

It is filling a need. It allows a big bore cartridge with 45 acp ballistics to be chambered in a 9/40 frame in weapons like the Glock.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the Glock Model 37 G.A.P. , and it is a very accurate handgun, and very expensive to plink with . I can always find ammo for it at my local gun store, but the salesman said it would be along time before they had any G.A.P. ammo for 8 bucks a box like the A.C.P. ammo I saw.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is filling a need. It allows a big bore cartridge with 45 acp ballistics to be chambered in a 9/40 frame in weapons like the Glock.

So it's filling a very small need.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, very small indeed since there are so few people who like Glocks and Big Bore cartridges
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, very small indeed since there are so few people who like Glocks and Big Bore cartridges

You omitted the most important factor,which is #3 on the list below:

It's filling a niche for people who
1. Like glocks.
2. Like .45 caliber
3. Have hands so small they can't hold onto a regular .45 acp

For almost everyone else, there's almost no reason to go with .45 GAP instead of .45 ACP. Higher costs, less compatibility with their other .45 ACP arms (if they already have them), uncertain future, etc.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Like glocks.
2. Like .45 caliber

For almost everyone else, there's almost no reason to go with .45 GAP instead of .45 ACP. Higher costs, less compatibility with their other .45 ACP arms (if they already have them), uncertain future, etc.

Ok, let's talk about "the most important factor", #3.  First of all, define what a "regular" 45 acp is?
If you're talking a 1911, were talking apples and oranges. This has NOTHING to do with the 1911. There are other ppistols chambered in 45 acp you know. There are also some of us who like Glocks enough to carry them over 1911's. The GAP round wasn't designed with the 1911 in mind.

Let's talk about the 45 acp in the Glock now. Have you ever handled a G21? Just becuase some of us dont like the grip of a G21, doesn't mean our hands are abnormally small.  Again, the GAP can give us 45 ballistics in the 9/40 frame size.

There is one valid thing to your reasoning and that is the GAP isn't  for everyone, and there is no reason to switch from a 45 acp to a 45 GAP,  but then again, who's asking you to or who's pushing it on anyone? Your comment "less compatability with other 45 acp arms" is weak. How much compatability does a 9mm, or a 40 have with other 45 ACP arms?

Do you own any Glocks? Have you fired a G37, G38, or G39? Do you know there are PD's currently using Glocks chambered in 45 GAP? Do you know there are some very large PD's looking into the Glock in 45 GAP?

The GAP is just another option, and it wasn't designed to "compete" with the 45 acp.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Like glocks.
2. Like .45 caliber

Springfield Armory also offers an XD in 45 GAP if someone wants something other than a Glock.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
.45GAP. Fad round.  An answer to a question that was never asked.......

Why not get a .40?  Cheap ammo, very similar balistics, smaller frame size.

Why not get a .45ACP?  Cheap ammo, similar balistics, manly frame size.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok I am in.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Somebody asked becuase they're making it

Some people dont care for the .40 and the fact that it gives you 15% more power than the 9mm with 50% more recoil. Not to mention the fact that it is a high pressure round that is a lot harder on your frame. SMALLER frame size you say? I have Glock 9's and 40's and the frame sizes are the same as my Glocks in 45 GAP. Haven't  you been paying attention??

Cheap ammo for the acp you say? I'm paying $10 a box for Lawman GAP ammo.
"MANLY" frame size???? I'm concerned with shootability and ergonomics, not what may seem "manly"

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, I did not want to get into the 45 GAP verus 45 ACP debate!  The ballistics are the same (for the most part).  I inquired because I like to be able to shoot a varity of differant rounds.  The 45 GAP sounds interesting to me because it is a larger caliber pistol round with supposedly less recoil that a .40 S&W.

I love to shoot my .40 S&W's but I want to hear from those who have a 45 GAP in either the Glock or the XD.  How is it to shoot?  What is the recoil like? How is it for accuracy? How is it on follow up shots?  Is it a fun round to shoot?  .40 S&W is fun, 500 S&W is not.  Just curious about how it is to shoot for fun not personal defense.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The .40 S&W used to be a "fad round"...
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So did .357 Sig
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So did .357 Sig

Still is
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I love to shoot my .40 S&W's but I want to hear from those who have a 45 GAP in either the Glock or the XD.  How is it to shoot?  What is the recoil like? How is it for accuracy? How is it on follow up shots?  Is it a fun round to shoot?  .40 S&W is fun, 500 S&W is not.  Just curious about how it is to shoot for fun not personal defense.

I shot Brian NH's.  It is fun to shoot.  Definitely less felt recoil than a Glock 23 in .40.  Very accurate and controllable.  I think the mini version (39?) would make a great hiking gun to replace my 26.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a G38 and love it.  Got it for a compact sized .45, "beater" CCW (backpacking, etc.).  The post above from Bsbg is right on...  

Can you get ammo reasonably priced?  Absolutely!  Check out www.outdooramericastore.com, Midway, ammoman...  

EDIT: removed bad link

For those ACP wankers out there, yeah I have & shoot one as well.  Sure I love it, but hey the GAP is a good round too & fits my needs.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have a G38 and love it.  Got it for a compact sized .45, "beater" CCW (backpacking, etc.).  The post above from Bsbg is right on...  

Can you get ammo reasonably priced?  Absolutely!  Check out www.outdooramericastore.com, Midway, ammoman...  

EDIT: removed bad link

For those ACP wankers out there, yeah I have & shoot one as well.  Sure I love it, but hey the GAP is a good round too & fits my needs.  

I see your are in NH. I have a good source for cheap GAP ammo. Send me an IM.

FYI - The GAP round IS NOT popular here
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I see your are in NH. I have a good source for cheap GAP ammo. Send me an IM.

FYI - The GAP round IS NOT popular here

That's why its so fun posting about it  ...I just sent you an IM
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm strongly considering the Glock 39.  Does anyone here have any experience with THIS model (not G37 or G38, but the G39)?  I'm about to purchase the G36, but am really thinking strongly about the G39 and am wondering if I should even bother with the 36.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm strongly considering the Glock 39.  Does anyone here have any experience with THIS model (not G37 or G38, but the G39)?  I'm about to purchase the G36, but am really thinking strongly about the G39 and am wondering if I should even bother with the 36.  Thanks.

I do not own a G39 but i have owned a couple of G36's. As you probably already know, The G36 is slimmer, however it is both taller and longer than the G39. The G36 is ideally suited for packing IWB where as the G39 would be a little chunky for that. The G39 would be ideally suited for OWB holsters, ankle rigs, and carrying in a pocket.

Aside from how they carry, the G36's tend to be a liitle more finicky as far as reliabiity goes in comparison to other Glock models. The shorter 45 GAP cartridge is supposedly more reliable in micro and sub compact pistols. I personally have found the recoil of the G36 to be stout, yet have heard the G39 is very manageable.

You should probably go handle both of them and take it from there. If you happen to go with a G36, before you buy, call the S/N into Glock as there is a recall of some fairly recent models. Your average dealer probably wont be aware of this and the last thing you would want is to buy a pistol that needs to be sent out for warranty.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#38]
why buy a GAP?? .45 acp is cheap and plentifull. personaly i dont see the reason for a GAP but thats me. in my opinion GAP going to go the way of the 41AE. just no reason for it for most of us
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd stand in line for a BHP in 45 GAP
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'd stand in line for a BHP in 45 GAP

i'd let you cut in front of me........WTH am I saying.       i'd let you have my spot
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I purchased a Springfield LE XD in .45 Gap and I really like it. As it was explained to me. The .45 GAP is the ability to shoot a .45 Cal. Bullet through a .40 frame. People didnt like the .45 because of the recoil so they got 9mm. The 9mm didnt have the knock down they where used to so they made .40 acp. Everyone loved the .40 but they still missed that .45  wallop, and now we have .45 GAP all the kick ass knockdown in a nice neet light weight polymar package.  I paid 450.00 out the door this is what i got.

1 Case
1 Pistol
2 Magazines
1 Cleaning Rod
1 Owners manual
1 Holster
1 Box of Winchester .45 Gap ammo
1 Pistol lock.

Not a bad deal. This was a actual package from the factory.

The only thing i dont like about this pistol is it is damn near impossible to find after market mags. Also it only holds 9 rounds. Other than that. Really great shooter and a hell of alot of fun. I've fired about 400 rounds out of it so far and havnt had a single Jam, missfead, nothing. Just my experience with it. Your experience may vary

If it does turn out to be a dying round. I'll re-barrel it and continue shooting it. Gotta be a way
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Some people dont care for the .40 and the fact that it gives you 15% more power than the 9mm with 50% more recoil. Not to mention the fact that it is a high pressure round that is a lot harder on your frame. SMALLER frame size you say? I have Glock 9's and 40's and the frame sizes are the same as my Glocks in 45 GAP. Haven't  you been paying attention??

You must check out the .45GAP it too is a higher pressure round. much more so than the .45ACP. Personaly i think its a round that will be here for a while and them gone. XD went to a GAP so they could offer a .45 with out making new frames for it. with an ACP they would have had to.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#43]

You must check out the .45GAP it too is a higher pressure round. much more so than the .45ACP. Personaly i think its a round that will be here for a while and them gone. XD went to a GAP so they could offer a .45 with out making new frames for it. with an ACP they would have had to.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

That's exactly the point of the GAP, you could get a .40 or 9 size pistol and still shoot .45.

It's an answer to the question many, many small handed people have asked, and I am glad we got it.  I don't one a single double stack .45 as they are way too bulky for me.  Now there is a chance I can get a double stack .45GAP that isn't to big for my grip.  My mainline is a 1911 as it is slim, but most .45 sized frames just don't work for me.  Now that the GAP is here and quite a few manufacturers are making pistols for it, I have a lot more choice available to me now.  If .45ACP frames aren't too large for you, pay no attention and move on, the GAP is not for you - it's for people with hands like mine.

Quoted:
why buy a GAP?? .45 acp is cheap and plentifull. personaly i dont see the reason for a GAP but thats me. in my opinion GAP going to go the way of the 41AE. just no reason for it for most of us

Can you people not read?  People keep making comments like this after being told the reason over and over and over.  You don't see the need because your hands are not small.  There is no reason for most of you, but there is a big reason for the REST of us.  It let's one shoot .45 in a smaller frame that fits their smaller hands, and allows for double stacks that aren't so bulky.  What don't you people understand?  It's a simple concept.  Most people who criticize the GAP have large enough hands they have no use for it.  Good for them, they have no stake in this round.  The rest of us do, let us have what we asked for thank you.  Imagine if you could have a pistol that shot .50 in the size of a 9mm frame, I suppose the same people see no reason for it, they prefer a bulky pistol.  Me, I like the smaller, better fitting (for my small hands), lighter pistol, makes for nicer carry I'll say as well as better control when I am shooting since I can get more of my hand on the grip.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Can you people not read?  

Apparently not
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Going the way of the 41AE?  Didn't they say that about the 40 S&W?  I think it'll go the way of the 40 S&W myself.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm going to get the same XD GAP that Zaplatus got but will be a XD9515 OD Green version.  What this gives me is a consistent manual of arms from a CCW, XD9 SubCompact, through a HS2000 9x19mm 4" 'Service Pistol' to a large bore 5" 'Tactical'  that will have adequate momentum for steel knock down targets in 3gun games.  

wganz

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
The .45 GAP is a nice idea, would be nice if the ammo prices would come down.  My hands in particular are big enough that I can shoot a .45 ACP just fine, but a 9mm frame is definitely easier to hold onto, I think for this reason, the .45 GAP may have some serious potential in pistols meant for CCW use.  Even for us guys with normal hands, no real point in getting a bigger pistol than is really necessary, especially when/if the smaller pistol points and handles better.  And if you're rich or just not going to shoot it very often, esp in the case of CCW, the ammo prices won't be as much of an issue.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#49]
The 45 GAP will probably be fairly popular in the future.  Some folks are not happy unless they can sport the latest and greatest modern technological innovations......

Most  over  counter defensive loads are already pretty much optimized for both rounds.

I am looking forward to the opprotunity to fire a G39.

As much as I like my G36 it really doesn't feel natural in my hand.  Since the GAP is ~.010" shorter oal than the ACP I can't imagine a potential 1/10th" in grip reduction really making any significant difference in ergonomics at least not in my hands.

My opinion could change once I do get in a little range time with one.

We'll see....

It was only a matter of time until "SOMBODY" introduced a 45 short........ It almost had to be Glock!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#50]
I think the .45 GAP is an innovative offering and caters to a specific niche.

Having said that, it appears that many are overlooking the fact that, while the .45 GAP effectively mirrors the external and terminal ballistics of the .45 ACP, it does so at a significantly higher chamber pressure.  Therefore, a .45 ACP load operating at the same chamber pressure as the .45 GAP (for instance, a +P load), delivers a substantial increase in both terminal and external ballistics, namely, velocity.

Like I said, it's a round that meets the needs of certain individuals and will, most likely, live on.  

Just my two cents.

-Justin
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top