Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 7:23:08 PM EDT
I know the S&W manual says it CAN use the +P ammo but can induce a faster maintenance schedule (i.e. stuff breaks) but I don't plan to use it at the range, just in my carry mags.

Would the 4.2" barrel really benefit that much more from the +P variant, or would the regular 124g Golden Sabre be fine? The data from DocRoberts only shows the +P so thats what had me initially looking for these as I am unsure what the drop off would be.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I usually go with standard pressure offerings.  don't think the benefit from +p is worth it
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot Hornady Critical Duty 135g +p loads through my M&P 9 with no issues at all. It's just for defensive purposes, for my range and plinking ammo I just feed it standard pressure ball ammo. If you're only using it for carry I wouldn't worry about the extra wear. You'd have to be an extremely unlucky individual to have to shoot them enough in a defensive situation for wear to become an issue.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot +P or +P+ quite often and have no issues with my G17 and the M&P should be OK as well. Don't worry about the disclaimer, they're just covering themselves.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know the S&W manual says it CAN use the +P ammo but can induce a faster maintenance schedule (i.e. stuff breaks) but I don't plan to use it at the range, just in my carry mags.

Would the 4.2" barrel really benefit that much more from the +P variant, or would the regular 124g Golden Sabre be fine? The data from DocRoberts only shows the +P so thats what had me initially looking for these as I am unsure what the drop off would be.
View Quote

You should verify that Golden Saber rounds cycle in you  weapon. I have an fnx-9 and I bought both 124gr +P bonded and 147gr Golden Saber bonded rounds. I have tested 100 rounds of 124gr +P and 100 rounds of 147gr Golden Saber rounds before loading  in my SD magazines loaded with 147gr. . But I have a few magazines loaded with 124gr +P as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The weapon will handle it just fine, however the +p is only going to exacerbate that bullet's core seperation issues. If it must be Golden Sabre, consider the 147 grain bonded variant.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The weapon will handle it just fine, however the +p is only going to exacerbate that bullet's core seperation issues. If it must be Golden Sabre, consider the 147 grain bonded variant.
View Quote

In testing we have done, we have found +P rounds tend to penetrate less because the tend to dump their energy quickly when expanding faster. We have lost a little less than 2 inches with +P. This has occurred with HST, JHP, Golden Sabre, and Winchester. All 124.
I would have no qualms using either, but prefer standard loads.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
+P hits harder but faster tends to lead to less penetration... is it worth it? I'm glad that we have enough options to worry about these things.

Ask yourself this question. Which would you rather not get hit with more?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top