Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 11:57:37 PM EDT
I bought some old hollow points of the EE The particular one I shot tonight into water jugs was an 115gr Seirra Hollow Cavity. .355 Diameter. I want heavier but figured id buy these and mess around with them :)

All the projectiles that I weighed were in between 115-115.2 gr.s

Load specs:

CCI 500 SPP
Mixed head stamped brass
OAL 1.101
6.2 grs IMR SR4756 (max in my lymans manual)

Some Data after the shot.

Was at approximately 10 feet.
Shot through an Old T shirt
Penetrated 3 milk jugs of water and made an indent in the back side of the third one.
Only found one fragment along with expanded round.
Recovered round was 88.01 grs.......lost roughly 34% of weight.
Largest diameter was .5455 smallest did not go below .5

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing.

Any idea as to the velocity ?

Did you happen to check accuracy ?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot a few of them and can easily get a few inch group. I didn't shoot off a bench or anything.

I hit my milk jug dead center, where I was aiming I know that lol.

Unfortunately I do not have a chrono, so all I can go by is the load manual, what ever that's worth.

I know if I was going to load these to carry Id back it off a few tenths of a grain however.

Here are some pics of another round I caught. A Remington 115 gr JHP. Retained weight was 100% at 114.7  (weighed this to start). good expansion all over .500" High was .568...... If I remember correctly.

Heres some pics of this beauty.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Also thanks for the reply I appreciate the interest!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not back off your load.

Water is a dramatic test media... but generally speaking, water will exaggerate reliable expansion results considerably.

I will IM you.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
That is true water does violently expand bullets, so I have read. The load is max with the sierra, well when looking at my manual but there were no pressure signs and it was accurate.

Here's a pic of both bullets I caught.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
One of these days I will have to post photos of all my recovered bullets.

For some reason, it has always been interesting.

Try shooting both bullets through three layers of denim.

I bet the results will be quite different.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes I do also. I wanted to use an old pair of pants but wasn't allowed by the GF lol. I'll rip them working outside then do it. I shot through a Tshirt folded up in four layers and you could see parts of it was carried through. Id love to see the pics of ur recovered bullets.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#8]
That's the same bullet that CorBon loaded into their famous +P round.    115 grain Sierra at 1350 out of a four-inch barrel.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes that is what I recently discovered. I am going to do more testing on it when I get an opportunity but I think its a keeper after its worked out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:20:23 AM EDT
[#10]
That was my carry load 20 or so years ago. Very hot and super accuracy from my old P226. I used AA#7(I think) with the Sierra 115 grain in my hand loads to try to duplicate. I found a small amount stashed away in a ammo can a year or so ago. Good stuff.  
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the same bullet that CorBon loaded into their famous +P round.    115 grain Sierra at 1350 out of a four-inch barrel.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I am going to try it over bullseye and see what results I can get from it. Just sucks because there is snow on the ground. Makes everything 10x harder. The only trouble I see from them is they require more force to chamber then other bullet profiles, at least in my XDs. I need to really slingshot the slide to chamber it. Haven't had a problem after the first round is chambered however.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool. Now we know what to expect when using your handloads against roving bands of marauding water jugs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool. Now we know what to expect when using your handloads against roving bands of marauding water jugs.
View Quote

That is exactly what I was going for. One problem. You don't have my handload......will you be okay against those marauding water jugs?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Sierra JHP 115 gr on the left. Remington JHP (I think what they use in their UMC line) on the right. The Sierra that did not expand at all was shot through two layers of denim and two layers of tshirt into knox gel and water jugs.

All of the Remington JHP retained all their weight and/or weighted in more. As you can see the Sierras really like to fragment.

Two on the bottom are plated lead bullets, just tested em to see if they would deform at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top