Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2012 8:29:24 AM EDT
What are yalls thoughts on this ammo? I keep seeing it at Academy and am curious.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It's bark is worst then it's bite!
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What are yalls thoughts on this ammo? I keep seeing it at Academy and am curious.

Do you live where Hollow Point rounds are a no-no?

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Not really, but my apartment is real close with another one and I don't want rounds ripping through, right now I have a 20 guage with #4 buck for HD
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Still going to go through drywall. Too much emphasis on "over penetration". Use 00 Buck and good JHP like Gold Dots, HST, Ranger, PDX1, etc

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Still going to go through drywall. Too much emphasis on "over penetration". Use 00 Buck and good JHP like Gold Dots, HST, Ranger, PDX1, etc

This.  If it penetrates enough to be effective, it'll cut through drywall like butter.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Guard Dog was created for places where HP rounds are banned, but they have proven to be less than ideal.

As far as the OP goes anything that will effectively kill someone will go through several layers of drywall like a hot knife through butter. Invest in a good light so you an see and hit what your are shooting, work on shot placement drills at the range, and if still overly concerned about over penetration put the guns in the safe and get a bat.

Also there is some other special ammo (Powerball) out there that are supposed to kill humans and not penetrate drywall, most of the testing I have seen shows the bullets won't effectively kill a humanx unless you shoot them through drywall first.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Embed not working, lets try this instead ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA7f69skz9g

He has excellent reviews an almost every kind of defensive ammo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guard Dog was created for places where HP rounds are banned, but they have proven to be less than ideal.

As far as the OP goes anything that will effectively kill someone will go through several layers of drywall like a hot knife through butter. Invest in a good light so you an see and hit what your are shooting, work on shot placement drills at the range, and if still overly concerned about over penetration put the guns in the safe and get a bat.

Also there is some other special ammo (Powerball) out there that are supposed to kill humans and not penetrate drywall, most of the testing I have seen shows the bullets won't effectively kill a humanx unless you shoot them through drywall first.

You're thinking of Glaser safety slugs. They tend not to penetrate deeply enough in tissue to reliably stop threats, yet they still blast right through drywall and retain enough energy to kill.

Powrball works just fine, as does Federal EFMJ. Now, by just fine, that means that it expands less than modern JHP designs but does so fairly reliably and beats the hell out of ball if mommy government said "no" to JHP.

ETA: Here toy go:

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks BlueFalcon, so the Powerball are good to go then? One of the sites I work at (airport) we have to remove our JHP rounds and replace them with powerball, per airport authority. I have brought up the fact that anything that is lethal is going to penetrate walls, to the airport authority but it just falls on deaf ears, but what should I expect out of a bunch liberal bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Just another latest and greatest hype.  Seriously, just find a JHP from any manufacturer, that functions well in "your" handgun, and forget about the rest of the BS.  Hitting a target correctly is much more important than what you hit it with.  Boring I know, but reality often is.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks BlueFalcon, so the Powerball are good to go then? One of the sites I work at (airport) we have to remove our JHP rounds and replace them with powerball, per airport authority. I have brought up the fact that anything that is lethal is going to penetrate walls, to the airport authority but it just falls on deaf ears, but what should I expect out of a bunch liberal bureaucrats.

No, ball ammo might be a better choice than Powrball. I was just saying it isn't all that bad, compared to Glaser Safety Slugs. According to some tests by Dr Roberts, it looks like the penetration is a bit short and expansion is ho-hum, but it does very poorly with windshield glass. In some cases ball would be better. In all cases, modern JHP would be better. If you can't carry JHP, Federal's old EFMJ load would probably be the "best" bet. As always, shot placement is primary. Worry about getting your rounds on target.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just another latest and greatest hype.  Seriously, just find a JHP from any manufacturer, that functions well in "your" handgun, and forget about the rest of the BS.  Hitting a target correctly is much more important than what you hit it with.  Boring I know, but reality often is.

I dont think that is reality, there are plenty of JHPs out there that dont function up to standards.

Thanks everybody, sounds like a no go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top