Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2008 7:58:26 AM EDT
So, what model do I want. I'm looking for something from the 60-70s era... Blued or maybe SS? I don't know... Preferably .357 or .44...
What are my options? What should I look for? What kind of prices am I looking to pay?
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's start by caliber and assume you truly want something from the pre-80s era.

If you insist on a .357, then there are myriad options to choose from. My favorite are the N frames. The Model 27 and 28 are .357 caliber guns built on a .44 frame. Heavy, with a tapered barrel, available with barrels in 3 1/2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 3/8 inches. The 27 has a nicer polish on the bluing, but internally is the same as the Model 28 Highway Patrolman.

Next step down is the K frames. The Model 19 and 66 are the ones that stick out, but there are other model numbers which are essentially the same frames with different options: barrel type, sights, etc. After some problems with .357 loads with these guns, S&W admonished owners that the K frame should be "carried with .357s and shot with .38s." Many of these problems were later traced back to the hot 125 grain .357 loads that were popular at the time. Flame cutting and forcing cone cracks were the two most common problems.

If you don't mind stepping into the 80s era, you have access to the L frame guns, the 581, 586, 681 and 686. These guns are in between the K and N frame, almost always with a full underlug barrel. Barrel lengths are available from 2 1/2 to 8 3/8 inches. These guns are built like tanks and nice to shoot. Many are available used, since many, many cops in the 80s wound up with the S&W L frames before transitioning to autos.

With some direction and a little time shopping on the internet, any of the abovementioned guns can be found for les than $500, though N frames tend to bring a premium right now.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#2]
S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman
Nice old .357 build on the N frame.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm liking the looks of the 28-2 Highway Patrolman... Is there any particular manufacturing dates I should be aware of?

Link Posted: 10/31/2008 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
S&W produced the Highway Patrolman for nearly 40 years and through 4 changes. The early ones are 5 screw guns, and tend to command a premium, and usually go for over 500 bucks. Four screw guns are somewhat rare, but not especially sought after. Prices will be slightly higher. There appear to be no known examples of a 28-1. The 28-2 is by far the most common Model 28, and I have two, one with 4 inch barrel and one with the 6 inch. The Model 28 is my favorite revolver, and has a cult following on the S&W Forum.

Four inch

I'd post a pic of the six inch too, if this fucking board code wasn't a monkey-mounting piece of Buck Rogers, space age bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Let's start by caliber and assume you truly want something from the pre-80s era.

If you insist on a .357, then there are myriad options to choose from. My favorite are the N frames. The Model 27 and 28 are .357 caliber guns built on a .44 frame. Heavy, with a tapered barrel, available with barrels in 3 1/2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 3/8 inches. The 27 has a nicer polish on the bluing, but internally is the same as the Model 28 Highway Patrolman.

Next step down is the K frames. The Model 19 and 66 are the ones that stick out, but there are other model numbers which are essentially the same frames with different options: barrel type, sights, etc. After some problems with .357 loads with these guns, S&W admonished owners that the K frame should be "carried with .357s and shot with .38s." Many of these problems were later traced back to the hot 125 grain .357 loads that were popular at the time. Flame cutting and forcing cone cracks were the two most common problems.

If you don't mind stepping into the 80s era, you have access to the L frame guns, the 581, 586, 681 and 686. These guns are in between the K and N frame, almost always with a full underlug barrel. Barrel lengths are available from 2 1/2 to 8 3/8 inches. These guns are built like tanks and nice to shoot. Many are available used, since many, many cops in the 80s wound up with the S&W L frames before transitioning to autos.

With some direction and a little time shopping on the internet, any of the abovementioned guns can be found for les than $500, though N frames tend to bring a premium right now.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

+1 end of thread. Great post  Vanilla

The K- Frame Model 66 /65/13 /19 are my personal favorites.  I've been ale to pick up a couple of beater 15,65 and 13s on gunbroker for $150 to $250. You can get some great bargains if you don't care about import and police property marks.

Link Posted: 10/31/2008 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I completely forgot you mentioned .44s. There's not nearly as wide a variety of S&W .44s as there is with the .357/38. In .44 Magnum, there's the Model 29 and the 629. If a .44 Special is acceptable, there's the Model 24 and 624, though they seem to be quite popular right now, and consequently, very expensive. Finding a S&W 44 Magnum under $500 would cause me to inspect it VERY thoroughly before buying, because I'd be suspicious.

I usually try to steer people away from the .44 if they are looking for a first revolver. For shooters not used to it, most 44 Magnum loads are hard-kicking and very expensive to shoot. 44 Special loads are mostly on par with the .45ACP, but often even more expensive than the Magnum.

To me, the 44 Magnum is strictly a reloaders proposition.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I completely forgot you mentioned .44s. There's not nearly as wide a variety of S&W .44s as there is with the .357/38. In .44 Magnum, there's the Model 29 and the 629. If a .44 Special is acceptable, there's the Model 24 and 624, though they seem to be quite popular right now, and consequently, very expensive. Finding a S&W 44 Magnum under $500 would cause me to inspect it VERY thoroughly before buying, because I'd be suspicious.

I usually try to steer people away from the .44 if they are looking for a first revolver. For shooters not used to it, most 44 Magnum loads are hard-kicking and very expensive to shoot. 44 Special loads are mostly on par with the .45ACP, but often even more expensive than the Magnum.

Yea, after my post I began to think about that... I just bought a .308 rifle and the cost of ammo is killing me. While I WILL have a S&W .44 I think it would be more economical to get a .357/.38. My dad has a GP100 which I have shot extensively and I really like it. I'm looking at perhaps picking up a 28-2 in the future. The quick and helpful responses that you guys have had are awesome. I appreciate all of the advice

Doc- Im sent

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1. The .44 Mag is definitely not a good beginners gun.

I'll also recommend the M28, especially if you plan on shooting a lot of .357.
Link Posted: 11/5/2008 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
One advantage of the L-frame guns over the N-frames is the lock work is easier to work on to get a nice action. The N-frame has that big cylinder (read heavy) to push and there are more gunsmiths with experience working on K-frame actions. The L-Frame action is identical to the K-Frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top