Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 4:01:08 PM EDT
I can get one for $300+ tax at Academy or a local gunstore that price matches.

Is the Apex Tactical kit a worthwhile investment?  The stock trigger is pretty bad.

Also, has anyone tried installing night sights or steel fixed sights?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
honestly spend the extra $100 and get the m&p.

Had one it sucked. sold it during the panic for what I paid.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
honestly spend the extra $100 and get the m&p.

Had one it sucked. sold it during the panic for what I paid.
View Quote

sucked how ? have handled them a lot, seem like solid pistols.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
We own 2 and they have been 100% reliable with everything from fmj to jhp in all weights. They have been accurate like our Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry I didn't give you the details.
Well as you know terrible trigger.
Feels top heavy. Sights are lacking.

To be fair. It did shoot everything I have put through it. Never failed.
To me the extra $100 was worth it. If $300 is your budget then I would say its gtg.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
It is the best pistol for the money until M&Ps started coming way down in price.  S&W M&P is the best value and if those go back up to the ~$500 range the SDXVE gets my vote for value.

Try to find an SD9VE used.  A lot of people hate the trigger and get rid of them... it is how I got mine.  At <= $275.00 you really can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The Apex trigger and internal parts are like $60 and are fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I had one, shot it and liked it, put the Apex kit in, didn't like how the trigger barely pushed itself out for reset, took it out and realized it wasn't necessary. The stock trigger is easy to get used to and lightens some with use. I've owned SAO, DAO, DA/SA and all triggers in-between those and the SD9VE trigger was easy to learn in less than a magazine. Mine was also 100% reliable with any ammo and quite accurate to boot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one and i love it. Its accurate. Eats anything and feels good in my hand. The trigger isnt great but its managable. Its also $200 less than a glock or m&p. Triggers way better than the Sigma was.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7thRJU-wz5s
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
And one feature of the SD model over the M&P is the size. Its about the size of a G19 which lots of people feel is about the best size for a CCW. I bought my SD9 for $380, about a year after paying about $630 for my M&P so in my area, at that time, there was a big difference in price. And the SD was the right size for what I was looking for.

That said if you want a pistol just for HD or a range gun, spend the little extra for the M&P.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I had an SD40VE.

Stock, the trigger SUCKED. The Apex spring kit helped it a ton as well as a bit of polish. The 40 was a bit finicky with 180gr FMJ but ate everything else I fed it.

Used M&P 40s at Buds are $369 right now, may be worth a look. You can always buy 9mm barrel and mags for the M&P to convert back and forth between 9 and 40
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, thanks for the feedback.  I will probably get one anyways, as I prefer my Glocks to the M&P9.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Okay, thanks for the feedback.  I will probably get one anyways, as I prefer my Glocks to the M&P9.
View Quote

Gross. I bought a G19 and shot it for 1 weekend. It was horrible. Uncomfortable to hold. Plastic sights sucked ass, stepped trigger was uncomfortable, and it shot brass in my face.

However, since it was during the panic, someone took it off my hands for $600 within 15 minutes of listing it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my SD9 so well that I bought an SD9VE when they came out, I like it too.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a question I can't find the answer to.  Is the SW9VE a partial precock or fully precocked striker?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's a question I can't find the answer to.  Is the SW9VE a partial precock or fully precocked striker?
View Quote

Neither. I was curious about this also. According to folks on the S&W forum, the striker is cocked as you pull the trigger. Apparently the main reason it has the trigger it does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top