Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 10:05:13 AM EDT
A long time ago I purchased a Sig 226 9mm from a dealers personal collection.
I have tried recently to figure out if it is a true W. German gun or not. It seems to have some indicators that it was and some that don't.

First off, the frame, barrel and slide have matching numbers
The frame has no proofing on the dust cover
The frame has some sort of mark near the s/n. It is to small for me to see what it is and I don't have any way of magnifying it right now
The Slide has a import mark of Tysons corner Va and not Exeter NH.

From what I understand the guns with the Tysons import markings were from Germany and not just the slide because they were not building guns in the US yet. The problem is the lack of proof marks on the dustcover.

Anyone have any idea what I have?

ETA: corrected model number.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A 9mm P229 with matching serial numbers in itself is unusual, a Tyson import gives it a 1984-1987 date range, before I thought P229's were made. 

The lack of German proofing on the receiver dust cover is strange if it was German made.

Here's a list of serial numbers and associated information, P229's are listed toward the bottom, maybe you can figure out something from that.  Serial Numbers

Pictures would be very nice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, just noticed a typo i made. It is a 226 not a 229.
I'll check out the serial number link tonight when i get home.

ETA: i am seeing if my wife can grab the s/n off the gun for me. I'll try and post some pics tonight or tomorrow. The Tysons markings are really faint, i'll do what i can to make then as visible as possible.

ETA2: The s/n is U134550. According to the s/n thread listed above, it would make my Sig born somewhere in 1985/86. Pics to come later.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks for the link. I will definitely read through all of that good info.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I am embarrassed to admit, i made a bit of a mistake when looking at the gun. It is proofed, I was used to the dust cover being on the frame on my Glock's and that is were I was looking. I started to take the pics I promised you guys and noticed the proof marks on the bottom of the slide.

The frame and barrel have the same proof mark indicating the Definitive Proof Mark. The slide is marked with the proof for Kiel, below that is  Definitive Proof Mark followed by the date code JG indicating it was born in 1986.

This was the article I used to decipher the proofs Source Article

Thank you for everyone's input and the links to the articles with cool info.

After I download the pics from my camera i'll post them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
we need pics of this!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the SIG team, once you have your first, they become habit forming
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are the pics, not the best but you get the idea. Some of the pics have the original barrel installed, some have my new threaded barrel installed.

Here is the gun with the s/n on the slide and frame. The same serial number is on the barrel but, it is on the opposite side.  
Attachment Attached File

If you look real close, you can see the import marks and you can almost make out the Tysons Corner Va markings.
Attachment Attached File

Close up of the s/n area of the frame. It is not legible but, you can see the proof mark to the right of the s/n. You can also see the scallops cut in the rail.
Attachment Attached File

Close up of the dust cover with the 3 proof marks.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top