Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2009 8:41:48 AM EDT
I just made a deal on a used G19 and will pick it up at the end of the week.  I already have a Gen 3 G19 that I bought new.  So I am really thinking about cutting it down to use G26 mags.  I feel that I would be more likely to carry it that way.  Most often I will be using a Comptac M-tac.

I'd like to hear any advise on the subject.  Any recommendations on how to go about cutting it?  How do you like it.  Any regrets?

I have a band saw so I figured I'd cut with that and then do the remaining profile work with a 1" belt sander.

Also, please post up some pics of your cut down Glocks.

Thanks, Aloxite

ETA - I do have this GIF which kinda gives me an idea of what it will look like.

Link Posted: 3/15/2009 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get yourself a G26.  You're going to ruin a perfectly good G19.

If you want that short of a grip, the 26 is the way to go.  A slightly shorter sight radius won't make much of a difference.

Not to mention...it really won't make that much of a difference in terms of concealability.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, my 2 cents would also be that..................I've never found the grip on the G23/19 to be too long to conceal well, therefore I for one wouldn't have the need to do this.

But that's not what you asked.  Someone will be along shortly to chime in or post a pic.  I have seen this mod done, and I'd say there's really nothing wrong with it.  The ones I've seen look just fine.  And you do get the longer sight radius of a G19 with the short grip of a G26.  As the poster above said, that difference might be negligible though.

It's an interesting concept though.  A heck of alot cheaper than the whole "just go buy a G26" option, that's for sure.

Might check over on Glocktalk.  I've seen a few of those over there that folks have posted.

I'll be interested to see your progress on the project, if you decide to do it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure, getting a G26 would be a great way to go.  But really I don't see the barrel length as a problem for how I carry.  The longer sight radius is nice and extra velocity is never a bad thing unless you are on the receiving end.

I do agree that the G19 is very concealable.  But for me the limiting factor is the grip length.  Especially in the M-Tac.  I wouldn't notice the longer barrel and slide of the G19 worn like that.  

Anyways, the G19 is costing me $325 and has adjustable sights.  I'm just not seeing G26s available for much less than what they cost new.  I do plan to get one at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait till you can find a good deal on a G26.

The G26 is very accurate(perhaps the most accurate of the 9mm's) and you won't need to chop anything.  Also having the shorter barrel on the 26 makes it handy should you ever end up pocket carrying(w/ holster) or ankle carrying the gun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sure, getting a G26 would be a great way to go.  But really I don't see the barrel length as a problem for how I carry.  The longer sight radius is nice and extra velocity is never a bad thing unless you are on the receiving end.

I do agree that the G19 is very concealable.  But for me the limiting factor is the grip length.  Especially in the M-Tac.  I wouldn't notice the longer barrel and slide of the G19 worn like that.  

Anyways, the G19 is costing me $325 and has adjustable sights.  I'm just not seeing G26s available for much less than what they cost new.  I do plan to get one at some point in the future.

I'd give you more than 325 for a G19 depending on the condition....
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot IDPA a few times with my G26.
I would have to say that the difference in sight radius as compared to a standard service pistol is very noticable.
I can still get the rounds in the cardboard with the 26,  but they are spread out a good deal more when I'm done.
I would like a standard size barrel/slide with a shorter grip.
I'm 220# and 6' tall . A standard pistol's grip prints under light shirts. I can carry my 26 in a paddle holster under a t-shirt quite well. You would have to watch closely to see it.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Paid for my new G19 today.  I should be able to get it from my FFL on Monday.  Picked up a G26 mag as well.  

Found a few pics online.  Top two show a G26 and a G17 cut down to take G26 mags

This one shows two G17s, one cut down for G26 mags, the other cut down for G19 mags.

Here is a G19 cut down for G26 mags.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I've considered doing this as well and probably would if I got as good of a deal on a 19 as you did.  Please post pics if you end up chopping it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The odd thing about this modification is that, as shown in every one of those pictures of the cut down G19s, they also have a mag extension for you pinky finger.  This completely negates the effective shortening of the G19's grip as far as printing goes because with the extension, is's the same length as the stock G19's grip was without an extension.  

Check out the 3rd picture down of showing the G26 length grip with mag extension next to a G19 length grip.  Therefore, the only real  thing this modification accomplishes is to reduce the magazine capacity from 15rds to 10rds.

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldnt say it negates cutting it down. Think of it as a bobbed 1911. It prints differently as there is less at the rear of the grip/changes its shape. Personally I am not for cutting down  a Glock. Might see what a frame goes for, throw your 19 slide on it with a dust cover from lone wolf. Swap the slide over and your back to a 19?
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I kind of like the 17 cut down for 19 mags.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#12]
just try and trade it for a g26 first
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Not my cup of tea, but very interesting nonetheless.

Pretty cool that this can be done with Glocks if one so wishes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Picked up the 2nd gen G-19 from my FFL yesterday.  Looked like very few rounds had been fired through it.  

I have today off so I took it to the bandsaw and hacked a bunch of the grip off.  Then carefully worked it over with a belt sander and a knife.  Turned out real well.

I don't have a camera right now so I'll go try to borrow one to get some pictures up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Man that's Ghetto
I personally could not live with myseld for cutting up a gun regardless of any functional gains.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:44:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Man that's Ghetto
I personally could not live with myseld for cutting up a gun regardless of any functional gains.

yeah, all mods no matter how functional they are are ghetto...

bet the billion $/yr gun accessory market thinks the exact same as do all the custom gun shops out there...

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Well here it is.  Sorry about the poor quality pics.  I'll try to take some in better lighting.

I'm really happy with how it turned out.  The shorter grip lets me wear the M-Tac holster in several positions that would print with the standard G19.  

I do need to swap out the plastic sights for something else.  

I'm probably going to get a Gen 2 G17 police trade in and cut it down to take G19 mags one of these days. I've been seeing those for $350 or less.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#18]
you know, It aint my thing but I like it alot.  Its your pistol to do with as you please and I think you executed your idea well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it.

That said, it looks like you did a really good job!

If you do the 17 to 19 mag conversion, be sure to post pics of that too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice job and well executed.

You are a better man than I. I don't think that I could endure the "psychic" pain of "cutting down" one of my Glocks like that.

Guess that I just find it easier to buy one of each size (17, 19 and a 26) and choose the one that best fits the need for the day.

TK
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like you did good!

<- Wears a G17 in a MTAC and doesn't care if it prints or not

I did buy one in each size, though. There are times when a G26 does come in handy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Whatever floats you boat.  I carry a 23 daily in a iwb comptac.   I had a 27, if you compare a 23/27 or a 19/26   you really are not saving much by chopping it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I dont know if I would have had the balls to do it myself, but it looks like you did a terrific job.  And kudos to you for knowing what you wanted and sticking to your guns (no pun intended) no matter what all the naysayers had to say!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I tried this on a 17 to 19 converion. It worked but for some reason the frame felt softer when I gripped it hard. I could see the shape of the magwell change by gripping it hard. It did not cause any malfuncitons but it made me think twice about future conversions. I think the lower end of the magwell adds reinforcement  and if you cut it off you will lose some rigidity of the frame.  Your conversion does look good but  hopefully you never need to sell it.  It is going to be reall tough to sell a cut down  Glock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks great nice job!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#27]
looks good!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#28]

My 22/19 conversion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr51/kristofer_g/gun%20stuff/?action=view¤t=glock22-mrnasty.jpg" target="_blank">http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr51/kristofer_g/gun%20stuff/th_glock22-mrnasty.jpg</a>
My 22/19 conversion.

Hey, that looks good! I'd love a 17 slide on a 19 frame.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Aloxite good job cutting that down

How does it run?

for those people who don't want to do it themselves  Bowie Tactical
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Aloxite good job cutting that down

How does it run?

for those people who don't want to do it themselves  Bowie Tactical

How does it run?  You mean like shoot the gun?  Man, I'd never ruin it by actually shooting it.

It's just band saw > belt sander > safe queen.

I kid, I kid.  I'll let you know when I get to the range.  Maybe do a side by side comparison with the 3rd gen G19.  But I've been working major overtime lately so it might not be for a couple of weeks.

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Guess I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I kind of like the 17 cut down for 19 mags.

i was thinking the same thing.  it actually looks like a better mod than the cutdown g19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top