Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 8:21:34 AM EDT
Picked up a police trade in Gen 2 at GT Distributors Thursday. Typical cop gun - plenty of scratches on the outside but the inside looked barely shot.

Put 200 rounds through it today and had a FTE. Case got about halfway out of the chamber and the new round rammed into the bottom of it.

The serial number is LD***. Can't remember if I read something about an extractor upgrade for the older models?

ETA: also, would like to add night sights to it (it's got the factory adjustable sights). How do I remove the factory front sight? Doesn't look at all like my Gen 4s did.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Just take a set of pliers and pull it out. It is not held in place by a screw if it is the original front sight.  I would also not worry about 1 FTE.  Shoot it some more and see how it does.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just take a set of pliers and pull it out. It is not held in place by a screw if it is the original front sight.
View Quote

Okay will do. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
About the FTE- it sounds like you are saying that the extractor lost its grip on the rim halfway out of the chamber? If so, try this. I had an ancient 1st Gen G17 at the PD I work for that would constantly FTExtract/Eject. Seemed to do exactly the same as what you said- the extractor would lose its grip on the rim, leaving it partially in the chamber. I initially thought the shooter (who was marginal in the best of times) was limp wristing it, but it did it for me, too. I detail stripped it and found LOTS of crud in the extractor and extractor depressor plunger channels. I cleaned the crap out of the channels and the extractor (which was also liberally coated in grunge) and it went right back to its normally, unfailingly reliable self. Strip it and clean the crap out of it and see if it helps. If not, check the extractor claw and see if it is chipped or worn. If not, it may need a new extractor depressor plunger spring, which is also simple. Good luck.

Bub75
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
About the FTE- it sounds like you are saying that the extractor lost its grip on the rim halfway out of the chamber? If so, try this. I had an ancient 1st Gen G17 at the PD I work for that would constantly FTExtract/Eject. Seemed to do exactly the same as what you said- the extractor would lose its grip on the rim, leaving it partially in the chamber. I initially thought the shooter (who was marginal in the best of times) was limp wristing it, but it did it for me, too. I detail stripped it and found LOTS of crud in the extractor and extractor depressor plunger channels. I cleaned the crap out of the channels and the extractor (which was also liberally coated in grunge) and it went right back to its normally, unfailingly reliable self. Strip it and clean the crap out of it and see if it helps. If not, check the extractor claw and see if it is chipped or worn. If not, it may need a new extractor depressor plunger spring, which is also simple. Good luck.

Bub75
View Quote

Solid advice first thing I would have done is a detail strip/inspection/clean before I even shot it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
[

Solid advice first thing I would have done is a detail strip/inspection/clean before I even shot it.
View Quote

would you do the same for a brand new one?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Did a detail strip and clean. Got some donut chunks out.

Internals looked very good. Little gunk on the extractor but nothing too bad. Nice and clean now throughout.

She'll get another 500 rounds this weekend just to make sure though.

Went ahead and detail stripped my 19 and 22 while I was at it. Didn't find much of anything in them, no surprise there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[

No but for a well used police trade in yes
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a DTU serial number G19 a week ago and it definitely looked like it was carried by an LEO.
It had 10 round magazines in with it from the Ban era.
It was filthy covered internally with oil, dirt, grease, powder etc....
I have never seen a gun this bad. Like the person poured break free down the firing pin hole and little hole under the slide.
I gave it a deep clean.
Runs perfect now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top