Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/7/2012 10:07:46 PM EDT
Hello all,

In the market for a new handgun and finally settled on a Glock 19.

I really like the Gen. 4 grip texture and mag release, but I know the early ones had some major issues. Are the new ones good to go, or should I look for an older Gen. 3?

Ideally, I would like a Gen. 3 Austrian proofed one, but I know those are very hard to find now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Tough to say.  I can speak to my experience.

I had a 2010 Gen4 19 and it was one of the worst guns I've ever owned.  On the 3rd trip back to Glock, they replaced it with a 2012 gun and it's been flawless.   So, in my case they've improved.

Replacement Video
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
SVY prefix that I bought in early May with an FDE frame is an absolute
lemon.  Stovepipes over 1% of the time, many more failures to go into
battery and weak ejection with an erratic pattern from 9 o'clock to 6
o'clock.  Even Winchester 147gr Rangers were landing at my feet, hitting
me in the face, and causing stovepipes.

Also, the rear sight was on the left edge of the dovetail.  I'm
skeptical that anyone at the factory shot it using the sights before it
went out the door, and certainly no one even bothered to look at the
sight or perform any QC/QA function that involved looking at the gun.  
The sight was crooked enough to be visible with the naked eye.

On the other hand, some people are reporting buying new gen 4 g19 models
that are functioning perfectly.  The honest reality is that buying one
right now is just rolling the dice; maybe you'll get a reliable gun, and
maybe you'll get a piece of garbage.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a late 2011 Gen4 and it's been perfect. Not a single issue yet...
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I had a 2010 Gen4 19 and it was one of the worst guns I've ever owned.  On the 3rd trip back to Glock, they replaced it with a 2012 gun and it's been flawless.   So, in my case they've improved.

Replacement Video

That second video of your wife getting hit with every case needs to be watched by everyone saying that there are no problems.

I count 15 rounds.  Thirteen fly back at 6 o'clock and twelve of those hit her hear or face.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

That second video of your wife getting hit with every case needs to be watched by everyone saying that there are no problems.

http://youtu.be/iQlkGPnOSAc

I count 15 rounds.  Thirteen fly back at 6 o'clock and twelve of those hit her hear or face.

Juat wait till one of those hot cases flys down the front of her shirt, thats when the real fun starts! (seen it done, not good)

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

Juat wait till one of those hot cases flys down the front of her shirt, thats when the real fun starts! (seen it done, not good)

In before, "Pics, or it didn't happen!"
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How do you tell what year your guy was made in? I just picked up a Gen 4 G19, haven't been able to go shoot it yet.

Also, what does the Austrian proof mark stamp look like?  My Gen 4 has several different stamps that my older Gen3 G22 does not have.

KOTB

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Test fire date: May 2012

I've shot between 300-400 147 gr. rounds through it so far with one case to the forehead and one failure to extract.  The FTE was in the first 50 rounds.  I can't remember clearly but I want to say it was due to a underpowered round as the recoil of that round was much lighter than the others.   I've primarily been using Remington 147 gr UMC along with a small amount of Winchester Ranger 147 gr.  

As for new stock, I ordered from Glockmeister.  Get one of their grip plugs while you're at it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

I agree.  I only made those videos after Glock telling me there was nothing wrong with it and sending it back to me twice like that.  In hindsight, I should have filmed myself shooting it because everyone always says, "it's not the gun, it's her."   Well she shoots all of my other Glocks just fine, it's not her (although she still needs practice for sure).  

She's been working weekends (when I shoot) since I got the replacement but as soon as I can get her out there with the new one I'll post an update.   Point of all of this is––-sometimes it really is the gun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Test fire date: May 2012

I've shot between 300-400 147 gr. rounds through it so far with one case to the forehead and one failure to extract.  The FTE was in the first 50 rounds.  I can't remember clearly but I want to say it was due to a underpowered round as the recoil of that round was much lighter than the others.   I've primarily been using Remington 147 gr UMC along with a small amount of Winchester Ranger 147 gr.  

As for new stock, I ordered from Glockmeister.  Get one of their grip plugs while you're at it.

I just went and looked at the test fire shell casing with mine; it's dated March 5, 2012.  Like I said above, mine was choking even on 147gr Winchester Rangers fired after 500+ rounds.  Hopefully they fixed something between when mine was built and yours was built.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

I agree.  I only made those videos after Glock telling me there was nothing wrong with it and sending it back to me twice like that.  In hindsight, I should have filmed myself shooting it because everyone always says, "it's not the gun, it's her."   Well she shoots all of my other Glocks just fine, it's not her (although she still needs practice for sure).  

She's been working weekends (when I shoot) since I got the replacement but as soon as I can get her out there with the new one I'll post an update.   Point of all of this is––-sometimes it really is the gun.

My gen3 G19 throws one in my face once in a while.  I bought it new in 2011.  And congrats on getting the wife unit to use a hardened, stable shooting stance.  Mine is getting there although she's already a natural shooter.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#12]
No issues with mine. Wifw begs to differ but she's a noob
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SVY prefix that I bought in early May with an FDE frame is an absolute lemon.  Stovepipes over 1% of the time, many more failures to go into battery and weak ejection with an erratic pattern from 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock.  Even Winchester 147gr Rangers were landing at my feet, hitting me in the face, and causing stovepipes.

Also, the rear sight was on the left edge of the dovetail.  I'm skeptical that anyone at the factory shot it using the sights before it went out the door, and certainly no one even bothered to look at the sight or perform any QC/QA function that involved looking at the gun.  The sight was crooked enough to be visible with the naked eye.

On the other hand, some people are reporting buying new gen 4 g19 models that are functioning perfectly.  The honest reality is that buying one right now is just rolling the dice; maybe you'll get a reliable gun, and maybe you'll get a piece of garbage.

Fascinating.  I also have an SVY prefix (also test fired May 5th) that's been perfect so far.  I've ran a few hundred rounds of WWB and Federal Champion through it and couldn't be more satisfied with the performance.

Did yours misbehave right out of the box?  I'm hoping mine doesn't develop similar issues...
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SVY prefix that I bought in early May with an FDE frame is an absolute lemon.  Stovepipes over 1% of the time, many more failures to go into battery and weak ejection with an erratic pattern from 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock.  Even Winchester 147gr Rangers were landing at my feet, hitting me in the face, and causing stovepipes.

Also, the rear sight was on the left edge of the dovetail.  I'm skeptical that anyone at the factory shot it using the sights before it went out the door, and certainly no one even bothered to look at the sight or perform any QC/QA function that involved looking at the gun.  The sight was crooked enough to be visible with the naked eye.

On the other hand, some people are reporting buying new gen 4 g19 models that are functioning perfectly.  The honest reality is that buying one right now is just rolling the dice; maybe you'll get a reliable gun, and maybe you'll get a piece of garbage.

Fascinating.  I also have an SVY prefix (also test fired May 5th) that's been perfect so far.  I've ran a few hundred rounds of WWB and Federal Champion through it and couldn't be more satisfied with the performance.

Did yours misbehave right out of the box?  I'm hoping mine doesn't develop similar issues...
The first stovepipe was in either the first or second 15-round magazine I fired, and they have continued all the way through the most recent range trip.

And just to clarify, you meant a test fire date of MARCH 5?

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#15]
My 1/24/12 test fire gen4 G19 has been perfect
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had 0 problems with mine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The first stovepipe was in either the first or second 15-round magazine I fired, and they have continued all the way through the most recent range trip.

And just to clarify, you meant a test fire date of MARCH 5?

Oops, yes, March 5th is correct.   " Date Collected: 03/05/12 "

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Recently my store bought a lightly used Gen.4 19.  Shooting it was an underwhelming experience.  This pistol's serial number prefix is RFB and it has the 04 recoil spring assembly.  It exhibited week ejection with all ammo types tried, five factory loads.  S&B 124gr and Ranger Bonded 124+P both ejected okay.  However, empties were thrown only half the distance of the same ammo types fired in my Gen.3 19s.  Approximately three feet.

Then I tried Tulammo 115gr, Brown Bear 115gr, and Silver Bear 145gr.  While I have no delusions about these brands being great ammo, I have never had a factory trim Glock 9mm fail to function with any of them, until the Gen.4 that is.  All three exhibited week ejection with empties rolling out and landing at my feet.  Additionally, each also had the last round in the mag fail to chamber.  I was able to push the slide into battery with thumb.

Otherwise the pistol felt just like any other 19 while shooting.  The good thing about this is I have lost any interest in Gen.4s and don't have to think about it any more.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a gen4 g19.  I'm at 1,000 rounds through it. Tulammo, wwb, monarch, brass, steel cased, 115 gr, 147 gr.

Been hit on the head two, maybe three times with spent brass. Zero failures to feed, eject etc.

It's been flawless and I love it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two G19's gen 4. One in the "problem time" and one recent. Neither with a problem whatsoever. Just put 1000 rounds through the "problem one" last weekend with no brass to the face. It does have the new ejector and spring but before I changed it out I had about 1500 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I have had ONE piece of brass hit my head but I don't call that a problem as the gun functioned fine. I had more brass hitting me with the XD than the Glock.

Total rounds through both Glocks is now upwards of 4000 rounds with the ONE piece of brass hitting me. Ejection is strong and in one area.

Youtube - Glock 19 mag dump, Gen 4

Watch the brass in the video.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have two G19's gen 4. One in the "problem time" and one recent. Neither with a problem whatsoever. Just put 1000 rounds through the "problem one" last weekend with no brass to the face. It does have the new ejector and spring but before I changed it out I had about 1500 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I have had ONE piece of brass hit my head but I don't call that a problem as the gun functioned fine. I had more brass hitting me with the XD than the Glock.

Total rounds through both Glocks is now upwards of 4000 rounds with the ONE piece of brass hitting me. Ejection is strong and in one area.

Youtube - Glock 19 mag dump, Gen 4

Watch the brass in the video.

LOL.  Are we watching the same video?  While empties are clearing the gun, this is not "strong ejection".  Ejection path is too far to the rear.  The empties are falling straight down in line with your feet, maybe 3-4 feet from the gun.  This is what ejection from a Gen.3 19 is supposed to look like.  Week hand, week hold, week ammo and still ejection path is perpendicular to the gun and twice the distance seen in your video.  There is a systemic ejection issue with Gen.4 and new production Gen.3 Glock 9mms.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LOL.  Are we watching the same video?  While empties are clearing the gun, this is not "strong ejection".  Ejection path is too far to the rear.  The empties are falling straight down in line with your feet, maybe 3-4 feet from the gun.  This is what ejection from a Gen.3 19 is supposed to look like.  Week hand, week hold, week ammo and still ejection path is perpendicular to the gun and twice the distance seen in your video.  There is a systemic ejection issue with Gen.4 and new production Gen.3 Glock 9mms.

My Gen 3 was no stronger than that and it is an older one. No worries here either way, does the brass eject out of the chamber? Yes. Do I care if it has to hit the guy 4 lanes over to be considered "up to standard"? Nope. I don't. The gun works and that is all I care about.

I don't know where this perceived "standard" of what an ejection pattern should look like.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Also, why does it matter if it ejects at 3 o'clock or 4 o'clock? It isn't hitting me. Your gen 3 doesn't look like it shoots any farther than mine.

Have you even shot a gen 4?
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#24]
no gen 4 glocks are not having any problems. check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTGC0Lo2JgE
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Same here.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Also, why does it matter if it ejects at 3 o'clock or 4 o'clock? It isn't hitting me. Your gen 3 doesn't look like it shoots any farther than mine.

Have you read this thread?  Both questions are, of course, irrelevant.

Forget for a moment that the Gen.4 models exist, you post your video of your 19 being shot and I see how it is ejecting.  There are two explanations; either you have a very week grip or your pistol has a problem.  Typically a chipped extractor.  Before Gen.4s no Glock in good mechanical condition ejected as yours does when shot in good hands.  But now we add that your 19 is a Gen.4 and it becomes okay for it to not work right?

If the explanation "Gen.4s just work like" that passes muster for you, then carry on.  The standard of just enough ejection to get by does not work for me.  Consider the variance in production guns, an average of just working will lead to many guns which just do not.  And that is what I see; many, if not most people saying there Gen.4 works fine, but enough others who are having issues.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

That's his wife?

WTF is he doing on arfcom?  He needs to go and reproduce vigorously.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#28]
f
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

That's his wife?

Believe me––-this is going on frequently  Thanks.

Hot and good with a rifle (wedding night):

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
f
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

That's his wife?

Believe me––-this is going on frequently  Thanks.

Hot and good with a rifle (wedding night):
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSCF5035.jpg

watch this video

1000 round test g19 gen 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tlKjrOi2zo
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#30]
my 11/11 gen 3 is still having problems despite the new 30274 ejector and white sound +p extractor spring.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
my 11/11 gen 3 is still having problems despite the new 30274 ejector and white sound +p extractor spring.

Have you tried contacting glock?
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not since the new ejector, just got that installed last week.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not since the new ejector, just got that installed last week.

Don't know what to say then i keep my glock19 stock.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

watch this video

Glock sends Hickok a hand-chosen gun, specifically for him to review, and even it jams.  What a disaster.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

watch this video

Glock sends Hickok a hand-chosen gun, specifically for him to review, and even it jams.  What a disaster.

Does Glock realize these problems are destroying their reputation? It’s been three years and they STILL haven’t fixed them.

It makes you wonder if they just don’t care, or if they honestly have no idea what it going wrong with them. I would be willing to bet we see a return of the original version of the Gen 3 with the old extractor and RSA.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#36]
It should be easy for Glock to figure this whole situation out.  All the problems started when they cheapend out and started using MIM extractors.  Simple as that.
So to save a few pennies per gun they have turned them in to cheap junk WTF were they thinking???

This pisses me off so much because Glock is my favorite handgun.
It was really funny when I was at SHOT this year I asked the rep if the gen 4 issues have been worked out yet and his answer was "what problems"

We should start an internets email campaign and tell Glock that we would be happy to pay the few dollars more that it costs to have the parts made of made of machined castings like they used to do so that way we can trust our Glocks again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forget for a moment that the Gen.4 models exist, you post your video of your 19 being shot and I see how it is ejecting.  There are two explanations; either you have a very week grip or your pistol has a problem.  Typically a chipped extractor.  Before Gen.4s no Glock in good mechanical condition ejected as yours does when shot in good hands.  But now we add that your 19 is a Gen.4 and it becomes okay for it to not work right?

If the explanation "Gen.4s just work like" that passes muster for you, then carry on.  The standard of just enough ejection to get by does not work for me.  Consider the variance in production guns, an average of just working will lead to many guns which just do not.  And that is what I see; many, if not most people saying there Gen.4 works fine, but enough others who are having issues.

Like I said, my ejection is strong and is NO different than my Gen 3 from 2004. I don't know why you have so much hate for what I am trying to show. The guy asked a question so I tried to help in the decision. After how many rounds I have through both of my Gen 4's a problem would have shown itself by now. Well what do you know, no problems to speak.

Chill out a little, just showing the guy a video.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, my ejection is strong and is NO different than my Gen 3 from 2004. I don't know why you have so much hate for what I am trying to show. The guy asked a question so I tried to help in the decision. After how many rounds I have through both of my Gen 4's a problem would have shown itself by now. Well what do you know, no problems to speak.

Chill out a little, just showing the guy a video.

I understand you are doing what you think helps the OP and any one else reading.  What do you think I am doing?  The same.  Although I see things differently.  Disagreement is not a personal attack.  If you can not handle criticism of your comments, I suggest you reconsider your participation in discussion forums.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It should be easy for Glock to figure this whole situation out.  All the problems started when they cheapend out and started using MIM extractors.  

All the money they saved by going MIM versus the shipping costs to return and fixed guns and all this shipping out of new parts.  Disastrous for Glock right.  Nope.  They are using us a giant R&D machine.  They make money and we are the crash test dummies...
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#40]
 Week hand, week hold, week ammo and still ejection path is perpendicular to the gun and twice the distance seen in your video.  There is a systemic ejection issue with Gen.4 and new production Gen.3 Glock 9mms.

This is pretty amazing that you can measure a distance from watching a video. Especially since the rounds are coming at the camera which makes it even harder. You must be some kind of detective of sorts...

Look man, we get it, you are a Gen 3 fanboy and have bought into the fact that EVERY gen 4 is a POS. Well, they aren't. I am trying to tell the OP my experience with the two Gen 4 19's that I have had for 4500 rounds (approximately, I don't keep an exact tally) now. Not one problem. In that amount of time, if there were a problem, it would have risen by now.

Do you shoot my gun every week like I do? Nope. So like I said, relax a little and let facts be facts. My guns have had no problems which is what the OP was looking for. The title of the thread asks if the Gen 4's are still having problems, not do the Gen 4's have as good ejection as the gen 3. Does yours have stronger ejection? Very likely. Does that mean that your Gen 3 will never stovepipe? Heck no.

You saw the video with the chick, it was hitting her almost every time in the head. THAT is a problem gun. Not ALL gen 4's have that problem. I don't give a soggy waffle that you criticize what I say but you better be dang sure you know what you are talking about which, in this case, you do not. Just because someone gets criticized does not mean the criticiser is correct and therefore gives reason for the criticizee to defend his/her position. A discussion forum is a place to do this and I belong here just as much as the next guy so please leave your suggestions firearm related and don't tell people where they belong, okay "buddy?"

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I think this thread has gone on to prove what I said at the start:

The honest reality is that buying one
right now is just rolling the dice; maybe you'll get a reliable gun, and
maybe you'll get a piece of garbage.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
 Week hand, week hold, week ammo and still ejection path is perpendicular to the gun and twice the distance seen in your video.  There is a systemic ejection issue with Gen.4 and new production Gen.3 Glock 9mms.

This is pretty amazing that you can measure a distance from watching a video. Especially since the rounds are coming at the camera which makes it even harder. You must be some kind of detective of sorts...

Since it is my video, of me shooting, and I know how far my brother is standing with the camera, and I picked up the empties before I left, it's really not amazing at all.  The video I am guessing about is yours.  My gut estimation puts the ejection distance at three times that of your gun.  But since I do not know the particulars of your video as I do mine, I limited the estimation to "twice the distance".

Quoted:
...Look man, we get it, you are a Gen 3 fanboy and have bought into the fact that EVERY gen 4 is a POS. Well, they aren't. I am trying to tell the OP my experience with the two Gen 4 19's...

I believe my older Gen.3s work, where you believe your Gen.4s work.  Does that make you a Gen.4 fanboy?  

You can not get past that I don't care about the label "Gen.4".  It is the performance issues I take objection to.  I believe that on average new production Glock 9mm models are not the equal of same 9mm models of three year ago.  Gen.4 or otherwise.

You are so invested in your Gen.4s working, you can not stand to hear a dissenting opinion on them.  You are putting your fingers in your ears, shouting "LA LA LA", tossing epitaphs to distract from the matter at hand.

You think Gen.4s are good to go.  I do not.  And by extension new production Gen.3s.  It is just that simple.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Did you even read my post? I JUST said that the chick in the video had a bad Gen 4, never did I say all Gen 4's or late gen 3's work perfectly. I just don't buy into the idea that they all suck.

Also, if you read my post you would realize I have a Gen 3, its from 2004 and its a great gun.

I do believe and understand there are problems with the Gen 4. It sucks that there are issues and I think the MFG needs to fix the problem guns. The OP asked a question and I can only answer the question as my experience permits. I told him that experience and you jump all over me and say that the gun has weak ejection. I GET the fact that you can measure your brass, you cannot however measure mine. That is what I was implying. Obviously you would know how far your guns ejection went, you made the video. If it would make you feel better, I will imitate the video you made with my older gen 4 19 with updated parts and measure the brass. I will shoot the same weak way you were to try to make it the same.

I'm not afraid of admitting that there are problem Gen 4's. I won't admit that mine have problems because they don't and that's all I an trying to show the OP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Did you even read my post? I JUST said that the chick in the video had a bad Gen 4, never did I say all Gen 4's or late gen 3's work perfectly. I just don't buy into the idea that they all suck.

Also, if you read my post you would realize I have a Gen 3, its from 2004 and its a great gun.

I do believe and understand there are problems with the Gen 4. It sucks that there are issues and I think the MFG needs to fix the problem guns. The OP asked a question and I can only answer the question as my experience permits. I told him that experience and you jump all over me and say that the gun has weak ejection. I GET the fact that you can measure your brass, you cannot however measure mine. That is what I was implying. Obviously you would know how far your guns ejection went, you made the video. If it would make you feel better, I will imitate the video you made with my older gen 4 19 with updated parts and measure the brass. I will shoot the same weak way you were to try to make it the same.

I'm not afraid of admitting that there are problem Gen 4's. I won't admit that mine have problems because they don't and that's all I an trying to show the OP.

I agree that the example being shot by plouffedaddy's wife is much worse than yours.  And there are worse examples which don't even work well enough to pelt the shooter with empties.

However, I don't think your gun is right and therefore disagree with your assessment that it exhibits "strong ejection".  Perhaps I am stuck in the minutia of the matter, but I would categorize the ejection of your Gen.4 as acceptable at best.  Glock 9mm models of the past were a bit better than acceptable.

Reread my posts.  I did not say all Gen.4s are POS.  I have not said all Gen.4 9mm models are POS.  I did say, and do feel, current production 9mm models are not up to reputation set by Glocks past.  And I would like Glock to fix that.

The OPs question, title to this thread, and matter at hand: Are Glock 19 Gen. 4’s still having problems? Yes or No.
It seems we agree that the answer is Yes, our disagreement being the scope of the problem.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

I have to say I'm shocked watching that vid.  The G27, G22, and Gen. 3 G19 I've carried and shot the crap out of during my career have all been flawless.  Looks like they missed the mark on "perfection" with some of the gen. 4's.....  How do you go from manufacturing one of the most reliable 9mm handguns in the world to that kind of failure rate?  I'm going to hang onto my issued gen 3 g19 as long as they'll let me.....

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that the example being shot by plouffedaddy's wife is much worse than yours.  And there are worse examples which don't even work well enough to pelt the shooter with empties.

However, I don't think your gun is right and therefore disagree with your assessment that it exhibits "strong ejection".  Perhaps I am stuck in the minutia of the matter, but I would categorize the ejection of your Gen.4 as acceptable at best.  Glock 9mm models of the past were a bit better than acceptable.

Reread my posts.  I did not say all Gen.4s are POS.  I have not said all Gen.4 9mm models are POS.  I did say, and do feel, current production 9mm models are not up to reputation set by Glocks past.  And I would like Glock to fix that.

The OPs question, title to this thread, and matter at hand: Are Glock 19 Gen. 4’s still having problems? Yes or No.
It seems we agree that the answer is Yes, our disagreement being the scope of the problem.

Yes, that would be correct. The OP asked the question and from my experience is the only way to answer the question and I am doing so the best I can. I cannot personally say they are still having problems because I have never seen any first hand. Only in videos and we can obviously all see the girl getting pelted.

With my personal gun, I feel like I can trust my life to it and that it won't screw up. I have shot it enough and put it through 2 classes in one weekend (1000 approximate rounds) and no problems. It takes any kind of ammo I throw at it like a champ. Does it have weaker ejection than some other 19's? Could be but it is as strong as my Gen 3 so I am satisfied.

If you want to argue more, won't do it. I'm done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

I have to say I'm shocked watching that vid.  The G27, G22, and Gen. 3 G19 I've carried and shot the crap out of during my career have all been flawless.  Looks like they missed the mark on "perfection" with some of the gen. 4's.....  How do you go from manufacturing one of the most reliable 9mm handguns in the world to that kind of failure rate?  I'm going to hang onto my issued gen 3 g19 as long as they'll let me.....

You go from making one of the most reliable pistols in the world to making duds by introducing MIM parts.  I've seen it time and time again form all the manufactures.  I just wish I would have stocked up on spare parts back before they made the switch.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

You go from making one of the most reliable pistols in the world to making duds by introducing MIM parts.  I've seen it time and time again form all the manufactures.  I just wish I would have stocked up on spare parts back before they made the switch.

How exactly does that effect reliability without any actual breakage?  Most of the complaints are about function with no sign of any breakage or major wear...  Lots of MIM in my Sig that has over 11k rounds, w/o probs.  Which MIM parts specifically contribute to malfunctions in the gen. 4 Glocks?  

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It should be easy for Glock to figure this whole situation out.  All the problems started when they cheapend out and started using MIM extractors.  Simple as that.
So to save a few pennies per gun they have turned them in to cheap junk WTF were they thinking???

This pisses me off so much because Glock is my favorite handgun.
It was really funny when I was at SHOT this year I asked the rep if the gen 4 issues have been worked out yet and his answer was "what problems"

We should start an internets email campaign and tell Glock that we would be happy to pay the few dollars more that it costs to have the parts made of made of machined castings like they used to do so that way we can trust our Glocks again.

No shit! Tried talking to the LGS about this on Friday. First guy was cool enough, denied it but was ok. Second dude was outright hostile! I have bought many guns from this guy including my first Glock and AR. "We sell 600 Glocks a year and haven't had a problem with a single one." I'm a student of human behavior and that stupid fuck outed himself. He knows there's a problem. Don't wanna talk about it.  Not to mention the first guy chimed in with, "Well, I remember a couple when the Gen 4s were new."

I know of 2 that have problems for sure that came out of that shop. I didn't mention that the G17 he sold me has significant problems. We'll save that fun for a day when I have the gun with me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Replacement Video

How exactly does that effect reliability without any actual breakage?  Most of the complaints are about function with no sign of any breakage or major wear...  Lots of MIM in my Sig that has over 11k rounds, w/o probs.  Which MIM parts specifically contribute to malfunctions in the gen. 4 Glocks?  

I'm not a mall ninja PHD so I can't answer your question.  All I know is I have seen it with tons of companies in the last 10 years when they switch to MIM they start having all kinds of problems that they never had before.
Sig had some of the worst problems a few years back when they made the switch so I wouldn't be bragging about that.  Look at Sig's extractors they look like they are made out of aluminum.  Sorry I just fucking hate MIM it looks cheap and it is cheap and there is no excuse to do it.  I think most shooters would rather pay a few dollars more per gun to have better quality parts.  Trouble is most shooters probably don’t know the difference.  
And then you have fanboys that would praise a polished turd if it had their favorite brand stamped in it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top