Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2011 8:27:53 AM EDT
i can shoot all other handgus fine except my 19. i am an avid practical shooter. i have knocked the sights alomost all the way to the right. i have changed my gripmdifferent ways and have let
other shooters try it with the same result. Any tips appreciated! Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot mine to the left all the time.  

Until I started using more of my trigger finger to pull the trigger.

Problem went away.

Your problem now is that you have knocked your sights out of alignment, so you won't know if you've fixed it or not.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't want to hear this and will probably fight us trying to help you with it but.....

It is you not the Gun

The Glock firing structure over amplifies peoples trigger pull, trigger press and reset. This causes an amplification of trigger pull error similar to trigger slapping or not using enough finger on the trigger (1911 guys usually have the worst time correcting it due to the light SA triggers they are used to).

My advice is to return the sights to dead center on the weapon. Start slow at the range and correct your grip and trigger pull fundamentals. Do NOT shoot 200+ rounds at a time; you will just build on trigger pulls that do not work. Shoot 50 rounds at a session, work on your trigger finger position, pull and follow through.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]
you nailed it i mostly shoot and carry 1911's  namely  a les bear with a great trigger!
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Try changing the connector to the 3.5 lb one and see if that makes a difference. I bet the trigger is just to heavy for your normal shooting style.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You don't want to hear this and will probably fight us trying to help you with it but.....

It is you not the Gun

The Glock firing structure over amplifies peoples trigger pull, trigger press and reset. This causes an amplification of trigger pull error similar to trigger slapping or not using enough finger on the trigger (1911 guys usually have the worst time correcting it due to the light SA triggers they are used to).

http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?s=c384a22902c3f84702e9e761bb03bcc0&app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=749

My advice is to return the sights to dead center on the weapon. Start slow at the range and correct your grip and trigger pull fundamentals. Do NOT shoot 200+ rounds at a time; you will just build on trigger pulls that do not work. Shoot 50 rounds at a session, work on your trigger finger position, pull and follow through.

This is a great chart, if you shoot one handed like the army use to do back in the day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is you not the Gun

http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?s=c384a22902c3f84702e9e761bb03bcc0&app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=749

This is a great chart, if you shoot one handed like the army use to do back in the day.

I've found it to be spot on with all the problems both myself and other novice shooters encounter.  Almost always points you in the right direction for improving your handgun shooting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Try changing the connector to the 3.5 lb one and see if that makes a difference. I bet the trigger is just to heavy for your normal shooting style.

I wouldn't suggest changing anything yet.  The stock Glock trigger is perfectly workable with practice.  

Especially if you plan on carrying the gun.  I would not go with a 3.5lb connector.  OP, Shoot the gun a lot and see how you do, dryfire plenty, too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My G30 always shoots left...
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My G30 always shoots left...

Glocks tend to shoot straight...their owners tend to shoot left.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Some have done this little fix.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851754
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Both my 3rd gen 17s shoot to the left. I shifted both pistols' rear sights to the right, and zeroed them at 50 yards. And when I do a ball and dummy drill, I my dryfire is clean, no trigger jerk or sights thrown off.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#12]
This helps most people:

Just kidding.

At one time, I owned 12 Glocks.  I'm down to eight now.  With all of my Gen 1 and Gen 2 Glocks, the sights are all centered and they shoot point of aim for me.  I have large hands, and for some reason, 3rd Gen Glocks all shoot slightly left for me.  The sights on my Gen 3's are all drifted slightly to the right.

I know it's me since other people shoot them and they don't have the problem I do.  I have set a Gen 1 G17, Gen 2 G17 and a Gen 3 G17 on the bench in front of me and shot 5 shots out of them all.  I ended up with 10 shots dead center and 5 shots slightly left.  It's just the way the 3rd Gens fit me, or don't fit me for that matter.  I don't have a problem with it, since after the sights are drifted, they hit where they should.

That's why I prefer Gen 1's.  Glock had it right the first time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two Gen 3 Glock 17's.

The one from 6 years ago hits dead center.

The one from last year shoots so far left the rear sight is now drifted all the way right to compensate.

I plan to swap around parts at the range when I get a chance to try to figure this out. The 6yr old has a 6 pound trigger pull while the 1yr old is 6.75. The only other difference is the new one does not say "Made in Austria" on the side of the frame.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#14]
my groups are always tight just left. i understand fundamentals as i have no problems with any of my other pistols or ones i have shot, i just would like to p/u the gun with what my natural hold is without haveing to adjust my hand to compensate. maybe Robar's grip reduction will help me. has anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]
It was different for me. I went from shooting my HKs and M9A1 to my Glock 19, and was putting the rounds in the X Ring first pull of the trigger.

I don't shoot my HKs as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#16]

The Sig 228 always did this to me.  I really had to work at shooting it accurately.  Trigger pull was a bit short for my meat hooks. I haven't had the problem with anything else, including the G26 and G19
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I know I'm not the best shot there is, but I am going to give Graham's part a shot.  Doesn't cost a whole lot and he warranties in no matter what.  Even if it doesn't shoot straight.  Can't beat that!
Just talked to him and he seems like a alright guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top