Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/6/2014 3:12:19 PM EDT
I don't consider myself a "fanboi." I like what works and feels good in the hand. Glocks and M&Ps are all I own for autos. I have carried a Shield primarily for the last year and prefer it to all others. I, like many others, was perplexed when Glock announced a .380 and immediately dismissed it. My previous experiences with .380 pistols is limited to a Ruger LCP, Sig Sauer P238, and a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380. Compared to those, the 42 was larger. I'm not 100% convinced of it as a pocket carry, but it definitely has something to it.

I handled one at my local dealer's a week or so ago. I liked it. I like the smooth face trigger combined with the Gen4 grip texture and mag release, and the great Glock trigger reset is present. I think the trigger is one of the best features of this new pistol. Being only experienced with triggers having excruciatingly long pulls, e.g. LCP, Bodyguard, I was impressed with the ability to retain those positive characteristics in a smaller design. Consistency in the manual or arms is something I didn't get out of my Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 vis a vis the rest of the M&P pistol line. The 42 strikes me as more of a "combat" .380 than the featured fare in the race-to-the-smallest .380 we can make. I feel like I can get control of this gun to deliver a rapid and reasonably accurate group of shots at a target.

Yeah... I like this little gun. I liked it so much I waaaaay overpaid at a small local dealer's store this afternoon for one (it's okay - I like those guys. I'll put food on the table for their kids). Now, I just need to find some ammo.

Obligatory pics.

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
A gun that size should have a been a 9mm.  And I'm no GLOCK hater.  I love them, and own more than one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A gun that size should have a been a 9mm.  And I'm no GLOCK hater.  I love them, and own more than one.
View Quote

I think we will see a 9, and it will be a redesigned magazine and/or frame. For now, they've decided to go with a .380 and I can say I like it more than any .380 I have ever owned. This is going to make for a really great jogging gun for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been looking to put my hands on one for the SO but everywhere I go the little G42 is sold out. Sure there are plenty of them on the web but I refuse to pay $550 for a $400 gun. Sooner or later Glock will catch up with the demand and I will try one out. I like the looks of them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
We bought one for the wife,its a nice pistol ,let the haters hate.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad you like it.  I don't care if Glock can make .380 shoot out of my nose, I'm just not interested.

I own 5 Glocks, and guess I'm what the intellectually bankrupt would consider a "fanboy"...I refuse to spell it like an internet fag would.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I could like it as well....

BUT, I will never own a .380 so no matter how good it is, I will NEVER own one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like mine too. I just got done installing an Ameriglo front night sight on it. Been pocket carrying it for 2 weeks now, and its perfect for the role IMO. And so nice to shoot too!
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:I think we will see a 9, and it will be a redesigned magazine and/or frame. For now, they've decided to go with a .380 and I can say I like it more than any .380 I have ever owned. This is going to make for a really great jogging gun for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we will see a 9, and it will be a redesigned magazine and/or frame. For now, they've decided to go with a .380 and I can say I like it more than any .380 I have ever owned. This is going to make for a really great jogging gun for me.
Have you tried a Kahr P380?  I got the wife one, and it's the most awesome 380 I've ever shot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I like mine also.  I kept reading about how large it is online, but when I held it, it is simply a great fit and not large at all.  Great gun for people that want one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you tried a Kahr P380?  I got the wife one, and it's the most awesome 380 I've ever shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After my PM9 experience, I don't believe I will ever purchase a Kahrap again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Kahrs I have shot had a smooth trigger pull, but the reset was long. One thing I like about the Glock is the short reset.

I have seen and held the Kahr .380, and it was a little on the small side. I prefer the larger purchase I have on the G42 frame.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's my beef with Glock as well. I own a 19, 22 and carry a 17 on duty. I'll stick to the M&P Shield (that has a higher capacity).
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#14]
It's important to pick apart new guns, because our lives depend on them, but it's already been said that the 42 is bigger than other 380s, as big as some sub compact 9mms, and that the .380 is a "weak" cartridge. OK, that's been said already. Why keep repeating it? The level of venom towards Glock and the 42 specifically is bizarre.

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:19:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After my PM9 experience, I don't believe I will ever purchase a Kahrap again.
View Quote
Details?
I own two and both perform flawlessly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now, I just need to find some ammo.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat. Can't find any 380 around here.

I'm also a fan of the 42. Got it for the girlfriend, but I like it too. There are those who hate simply because it's not 9mm, but it's a decent gun outside of that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's important to pick apart new guns, because our lives depend on them, but if it's already been said that the 42 is bigger than other 380s, as big as some sub compact 9mms, and that the .380 is a "weak" cartridge. OK, that's been said already. Why keep repeating it? The level of venom towards Glock and the 42 specifically is bizarre.
View Quote

I think the "venom" is easy to explain. All the boards including this one has always had posters crying for a single stack 9 from Glock. I don't remember many people, if any, wanting a .380. People are just upset the 9 wasn't first. You know Glock will make a 9 soon and all will be fine. I think it's just frustration.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]
on my way to pick mine up at the LGS. Overpaid too but I dont care....

ETA: Here she is

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I ordered one as soon as I handled my buddy's.  And I'm not afraid to admit that I ordered it for me and not "for my wife".
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, wonder how many 10mm rounds you could stuff in that thing?  I would be willing to try...  at least once.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Love mine.  Took GT a week longer to unfuck my order that they screwed up but love the gun once I got it in hand.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Now the search for a good holster. I'm thinking JMCK, and I'm thinking IWB. A pistol this slim you could carry OWB and still be fine. I plan to stabilize it with a modified Sticky holster in a Pistolwear PT-1 when I run.

The more I dry fire it, the more I like it. I think it's going to be a lot of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Now the search for a good holster. I'm thinking JMCK, and I'm thinking IWB. A pistol this slim you could carry OWB and still be fine. I plan to stabilize it with a modified Sticky holster in a Pistolwear PT-1 when I run.

The more I dry fire it, the more I like it. I think it's going to be a lot of fun to shoot.
View Quote

I am thinking a crossbreed minituck for mine or possibly a Galco Sto N go
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's important to pick apart new guns, because our lives depend on them, but it's already been said that the 42 is bigger than other 380s, as big as some sub compact 9mms, and that the .380 is a "weak" cartridge. OK, that's been said already. Why keep repeating it? The level of venom towards Glock and the 42 specifically is bizarre.

View Quote

+1

it's really strange.    

I can understand folks thinking , it's not for them, but there is some serious hate towards the design.   I also noticed a special level of hate from Khar owners.   . It's like someone pissed in their Cheerios.    I just don't understand that.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/Greenamphibious/G42_zpscb84f453.jpg
View Quote

I paid $450

I don't care either.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I paid $450

I don't care either.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $450

I don't care either.  

That is still below MSRP.  What cracks me up is people selling, or attempting to sell them, on Armslist for $600 to $800 even though the local shops are only charging $400 for them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is still below MSRP.  What cracks me up is people selling, or attempting to sell them, on Armslist for $600 to $800 even though the local shops are only charging $400 for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $450

I don't care either.  

I thought that was $50 over MSRP?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $450

I don't care either.  

MSRP is $475.  I think MAP, which is what the manufacture forces a dealer not to sell below, or at least advertise below, is $399.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1

it's really strange.    

I can understand folks thinking , it's not for them, but there is some serious hate towards the design.   I also noticed a special level of hate from Khar owners.   . It's like someone pissed in their Cheerios.    I just don't understand that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

it's really strange.    

Its like if you were a kid and asked your parents for a particular bike for Christmas for years,  and they finally said they were going to give it to you, only when you opened it up it was a tricycle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Its like if you were a kid and asked your parents for a particular bike for Christmas for years,  and they finally said they were going to give it to you, only when you opened it up it was a tricycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

it's really strange.    

What do you mean IF , they ARE kids !!.  Wha ! were's the 9mm !!  Wha !!
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+1

it's really strange.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

it's really strange.    

Because everyone wants a 9mm in that size, and they're pissed that Glock decided it would catch up to 6 years ago and drop this thing as a .380. *shrugs*
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#32]
What's funny, is I bought both a new 19 and the 42 in the same week, and I hardly even think about the new 19.    I haven't shot either yet.    I can't wait to shoot the 42.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think the "venom" is easy to explain. All the boards including this one has always had posters crying for a single stack 9 from Glock. I don't remember many people, if any, wanting a .380. People are just upset the 9 wasn't first. You know Glock will make a 9 soon and all will be fine. I think it's just frustration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's important to pick apart new guns, because our lives depend on them, but if it's already been said that the 42 is bigger than other 380s, as big as some sub compact 9mms, and that the .380 is a "weak" cartridge. OK, that's been said already. Why keep repeating it? The level of venom towards Glock and the 42 specifically is bizarre.

Actually no, I do not know this and neither do you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#34]
sent 250 rounds down range REM and Hornady CD... not a hiccup. barely any recoil, dead on accurate. I don't care what anyone says this is a great pistol. As for it being .380..... .380 is better than fists in a gun fight. Especially when you can consistently put a round in center mass or a perps dome! Don't hate until you have shot one. This thing disappears in a Galco Sto N Go. That is all
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I really like mine too. I just got done installing an Ameriglo front night sight on it. Been pocket carrying it for 2 weeks now, and its perfect for the role IMO. And so nice to shoot too!
View Quote

Which sight did you install and how was the fit? Got any pics?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ameriglo Front Sight Only, dont have the packaging anymore, but I got it from amazon, just searched for Glock front sight and it came up, about 40 bucks. Easy install with a 3/16 nut driver and some loctite.

The sight is marked Trijicon, apparently because Ameriglo uses Trijicon vials. I only did the front because I think a rear sight for any of the other Glocks would be too wide, but I have not confirmed this. I don't mind having the front being the only glowing sight though, I think it works out fine. Looks basically the same as the Trijicon that is on my 26.

42 with Ameriglo front (ignore the tiny Ferrari on my desk ):

Top is Glock 26 with Trijicon Gl01's (I think that was the model #), bottom is the 42 with the Ameriglo

ETA: I hadn't noticed before posting that pic, but its interesting seeing the difference between the finish on the 26 and the 42. 42's is much smoother up close...

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have crystal balls. I'll bet my 23 there will be a single stack 9 by the end of next year. Wanna bet?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#38]
my shop has them for $409 before tax. im on the waiting list for one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I paid $450

I don't care either.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $450

I don't care either.  

I paid $429.  Should have probably waited for a blue label to show up but I'll be OK.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Because everyone wants a 9mm in that size, and they're pissed that Glock decided it would catch up to 6 years ago and drop this thing as a .380. *shrugs*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

it's really strange.    

Meh, the 9mm will show up eventually.  Until that happens I have my 19, 17 and 26.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ameriglo Front Sight Only, dont have the packaging anymore, but I got it from amazon, just searched for Glock front sight and it came up, about 40 bucks. Easy install with a 3/16 nut driver and some loctite.  

The sight is marked Trijicon, apparently because Ameriglo uses Trijicon vials. I only did the front because I think a rear sight for any of the other Glocks would be too wide, but I have not confirmed this. I don't mind having the front being the only glowing sight though, I think it works out fine. Looks basically the same as the Trijicon that is on my 26.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-laybUR_yMQ0/UvazfhkugCI/AAAAAAAAEcE/HWZC3seO-uw/w1132-h849-no/20140208_174509.jpg

Top is Glock 26 with Trijicon Gl01's (I think that was the model #), bottom is the 42 with the Ameriglo

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7pYaa5bHZnY/Uvay_Pfde1I/AAAAAAAAEbs/uxP5CgqPw8Y/w1132-h849-no/20140208_174302.jpg

ETA: I hadn't noticed before posting that pic, but its interesting seeing the difference between the finish on the 26 and the 42. 42's is much smoother up close...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-laybUR_yMQ0/UvazfhkugCI/AAAAAAAAEcE/HWZC3seO-uw/w1132-h849-no/20140208_174509.jpg

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7pYaa5bHZnY/Uvay_Pfde1I/AAAAAAAAEbs/uxP5CgqPw8Y/w1132-h849-no/20140208_174302.jpg

Thanks your pics were helpful.
I just ordered a OEM Glock front NS on Ebay.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#43]
My favorite new carry gun. I'm at about 400 rounds now. I'll probably get another for my wife. Despite Internet whining, this is the appropriate size and weight for this caliber.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I had a chance to look at a sales sample and liked it. But it's bigger than my LCP so I'm still on the fence.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I would prefer it to be 9mm but if I didn't have a CM9 already it could serve as an ankle gun.  I bought a G26 for that role and it was way too heavy and bulky.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Never suspected that my Scott McDougal customized Pocketlight would see competition but my holster is Glock filled.

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My favorite new carry gun. I'm at about 400 rounds now. I'll probably get another for my wife. Despite Internet whining, this is the appropriate size and weight for this caliber.
View Quote

Agreed. The few times that I've carried it have been in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster in either my jean pocket or my jacket pocket. It's larger than an LCP, sure, but it's also more controllable and accurate in my hands.

The one I bought seems to be having some issues (mainly FTEs) with my 90 gr. XTP hand-loads, but has ran 102 gr. Golden Sabers and 95 gr. Federal FMJ flawlessly. If I can get it to run well with the XTPs I have on hand, then it will be my wife's primary carry gun. I'm seriously considering ordering a second for myself.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agreed. The few times that I've carried it have been in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster in either my jean pocket or my jacket pocket. It's larger than an LCP, sure, but it's also more controllable and accurate in my hands.

The one I bought seems to be having some issues (mainly FTEs) with my 90 gr. XTP hand-loads, but has ran 102 gr. Golden Sabers and 95 gr. Federal FMJ flawlessly. If I can get it to run well with the XTPs I have on hand, then it will be my wife's primary carry gun. I'm seriously considering ordering a second for myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting...I also have been getting some failures with my 90gr XTP hand loads using 3.4gr Win231...the empty stays chambered and the slide doesn't appear to come back at all.  This doesn't happen every shot, but more like 10% of the time.  Fine accuracy though.  I wonder if my hand load needs a little more oomph to blow the slide back consistently.  Also I notice the XTP hand loads don't eject the empties as far as other loads do.  Flawless with Blazer and Speer Gold Dot factory ammo.  It also functions fine with my 100gr hand loads with the same powder charge.  I even use a Lee factory crimp die to ensure no case bulges.  

Tests on water jugs showed the Gold Dot bullets expanded more than the XTP bullets, so that's what I carry in the Glock, but I had intended on using the XTP's for practice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Interesting...I also have been getting some failures with my 90gr XTP hand loads using 3.4gr Win231...the empty stays chambered and the slide doesn't appear to come back at all.  This doesn't happen every shot, but more like 10% of the time.  Fine accuracy though.  I wonder if my hand load needs a little more oomph to blow the slide back consistently.  Also I notice the XTP hand loads don't eject the empties as far as other loads do.  Flawless with Blazer and Speer Gold Dot factory ammo.  It also functions fine with my 100gr hand loads with the same powder charge.  I even use a Lee factory crimp die to ensure no case bulges.  

Tests on water jugs showed the Gold Dot bullets expanded more than the XTP bullets, so that's what I carry in the Glock, but I had intended on using the XTP's for practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .380 loads consisted of a 3.4gr charge of HP-38 pushing 90gr. XTPs using factory pre-primed Remington brass. They had a similar problem - the slide would retract, seemingly like a normal shot, and the trigger would reset. When I pulled the trigger for the next shot, it would drop the striker on the spent case that never left the chamber. When I initially took it to the range, I only fired 13 shots (not exactly a good sample size, especially considering that they were the first shots from the gun) but out of those 13, about 7-8 we're FTEs as described above.

The next range visit, I put about 30-40 rounds of combined Remington 102gr. GS and Federal 95gr. FMJ through with no issue whatsoever. I also fired 5 more of my hand-loads that had fell into my range bag the last visit. This time, 4 of the 5 functioned just fine in the pistol, with the one stoppage being the same type of FTE.

Like I said, hardly a representative sample, but when it starts to warm back up outside, I plan on doing some load development for it. I too am wondering if the Glock's recoil-spring assembly requires hotter loads to function properly with certain bullet/powder combinations.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top