Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2009 11:07:27 PM EDT
I received my Crossbreed Supertuck holster a few days ago and thought a review was in order. Than I realized I already owned a comparable product and figured I would compare the 2 for your viewing benefit. I realize the weapons are different, but both are 4 inch barrels, steel slides, and polymer frames. The dimensions are very similar. Pics for comparison...

Supertuck:

This holster arrived at my doorstep 4 days after placing an order. Incredibly fast considering they are made by hand here in the USA. Black stained single layer cowhide backing with a kydex mold bolted to the front. IWB design, tuckable. Metal clips that have been upgraded from the original Supertuck model; these clips are now standard. This model is the flagship of the company, and rightfully so. I'm still breaking the leather in, so that will only get better but the thing is damn comfortable already! The fit and finish are acceptable, no rough edges anywhere, neutral all black color. One thing to notice, this thing is BIG. It isn't a problem as it conceals fantastically, but the leather backing is probably 25% bigger than the Comptac. This holster is adjustable for ride depth, cant, and retention.
MTAC

This is probably the most popular IWB holster around here, and for good reason. Same idea as the Supertuck; leather back, kydex front, adjustable in the same way as the Supertuck (retention, depth, cant). The fit and finish of the MTAC are better than the Supertuck by a small margin. Neither is a slouch, but the MTAC has more fine attention to detail. (double thickness leather over the rivets, screws, etc, and the edges are stitched for a nice appearance.) To me this is a moot point as it's meant to be concealed, but if these things matter to you, the MTAC gets a small edge. The clips on the MTAC are kydex, as opposed to steel on the Supertuck. The Supertuck's clips seem more durable. The MTAC has the slight advantage when it comes to adjusting the retention. A twist of the included allen wrench adjusts, while on the Supertuck you have use heat (think blowdryer) to reform the leather.  The MTAC is shipped quickly too, but not as fast as the Supertuck, probably about a week slower.

Here is a picture of the rear of the holsters where you can see the differences in finish. The Supertuck is on the left and the MTAC is on the right

As far as comfort goes, I really like both. The MTAC conceals my G19, which is a bit lighter than the HK45c in the Supertuck. I would honestly give the edge to the Supertuck with regards to comfort. The doublestack 45 just disappears when I strap it on. The MTAC does the same thing to the G19, but has had plenty of time to break in, and also has a lighter load to support. Both are fantastic holsters. I like the retention of the Supertuck a bit better as well. The weapon seats with a firm "click" when put in its place. I could probably crank the retention screw all the way down on the MTAC and achieve the same result though, so don't let that discourage you; the MTAC holds the weapon securely for sure.

Overall I like both holsters. I can't make a decision which is best between one or the other due to me not having the same model of weapon for each holster. But if it matters to you, every time I go out now, the HK45c in the Supertuck goes with me. The G19 now wears a Streamlight and sits on my nightstand. In true ARFCOM fashion, order both holsters! they are both made by great American companies here in the USA!

parting picture

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Good write up. One difference that I found between my MTAC and Supertuck was the material near where the grip and the trigger guard meet. On the Supertuck, this seems to extend past the trigger guard. As such, it would give me a slightly off grip while drawing. I ended up removing about a inch of material so that my middle finger would actually meet the trigger guard versus the leather. Did you notice this with yours? In your pictures it looks to be the case. Perhaps its not an issue for some as it is with me?

I also give the MTAC a bit of an edge for the doubled leather on the mounting hardware. While it doesn't matter if you never adjust the Supertuck. If you move that hardware (with its talon like teeth) they don't seem to go back on as well as they come new. This lead to those little teeth digging into my side if I sat just right.

Link Posted: 11/20/2009 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Good review. I'll have to try out a supertuck sometime.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good write up. One difference that I found between my MTAC and Supertuck was the material near where the grip and the trigger guard meet. On the Supertuck, this seems to extend past the trigger guard. As such, it would give me a slightly off grip while drawing. I ended up removing about a inch of material so that my middle finger would actually meet the trigger guard versus the leather. Did you notice this with yours? In your pictures it looks to be the case. Perhaps its not an issue for some as it is with me?

I also give the MTAC a bit of an edge for the doubled leather on the mounting hardware. While it doesn't matter if you never adjust the Supertuck. If you move that hardware (with its talon like teeth) they don't seem to go back on as well as they come new. This lead to those little teeth digging into my side if I sat just right.  

CrossBreed took what you are complaining about to heart. They offer what is called a "combat cut" now that takes care of that very problem. They basically take the holster, put the actual gun in it you are going to use, and trim away all the excess material for a unimpeded draw. It's an option when you "build" your holster.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like they're comparable in price too, with the Supertuck right at $70 and the MTAC at $80.  Which do you think is the better value?
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't prefer one over the other, but I am wearing the Supertuck around. It's the cheaper of the 2 as well, so that scores it points.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my supertuck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Having owned both I'd have to say that the OP has written an excellent review to which I'd like to add that IMO; the advantages of the Super Tuck over the M-Tac become more evident the heavier and larger the pistol you are carrying.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
thats what i'm discovering. the hk45c is a heavier pistol, but the increased surface area of the Supertuck really helps spread the weight around.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]
i just got a supertuck - i like it , but in hindsight, i think i should've gotten the "combaat cut"..
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i just got a supertuck - i like it
, but in hindsight, i think i should've gotten the "combaat cut"..

Grab a pair of tin snips from your tool box and 30 seconds later you'll have a combat cut.

Link Posted: 11/20/2009 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
i just got a supertuck - i like it , but in hindsight, i think i should've gotten the "combaat cut"..

Grab a pair of tin snips from your tool box and 30 seconds later you'll have a combat cut.

especially since it costs extra to remove material.....an extra $7.50 just for a reshaped leather backer....
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

especially since it costs extra to remove material.....an extra $7.50 just for a reshaped leather backer....

i might give it a try...
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#13]
How much of a difference is there with a horsehide compared to cowhide (supertuck)?

ETA:  Found an answer:

Quoted:
Quoted:
To all of you that have one: Would you suggest the cowhide or horsehide version and why?

The horsehide is thinner than bovine leather.

Horsehide holds its shape better once it is broken in.

Horsehide is a denser leather and is much more impervious to moisture and sweat.

The "rough side" which is towards your body is finer grained and therefore more comfortable than bovine leather.

Once the horsehide version takes a "set" to your body shape it's incredibly comfortable.

Link Posted: 11/22/2009 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like the Supertuck might be better for something with a safety due to the extra leather at the top, but I like the closed end front sight protection offered by the MTAC.

I may have to try one of those though in the horsehide.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#15]
How is the leather in the summer months, I was wondering if it starts to smell if you are sweating in the hot summer months. I work outside all day and was wondering does this thing soak up sweat and then has to dry?
I have a Raven now but the mtac looks a little more comfortable what do you guys think that own the mtac
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Seems like lots of folks are pleased with teh Supertuck.  I don't really hear complaints, but when I look at the supertuck, it seems like w/o a leather covering on the back, those rivets would dig into your skin and not be very comfortable.

During winter, I wear a shirt tucked in, and then wear my MTAC, then use a jacket/coat/sweatshirt as cover.  But in summer, I just cover with a t-shirt.

Also, I do like the fact that w/ the MTAC, you can buy extra kydex bodies for different guns.  Just my thoughts, nice review though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How is the leather in the summer months, I was wondering if it starts to smell if you are sweating in the hot summer months. I work outside all day and was wondering does this thing soak up sweat and then has to dry?
I have a Raven now but the mtac looks a little more comfortable what do you guys think that own the mtac

I've worn mine outdoors everyday, often hiking or fishing in the everglades in the Florida heat and humidity and the holster stays dry as a bone; both front and back.

M&P .40 full size in the horsehide version Super Tuck.

BTW: I wear only a single tee shirt over the holster and have never experienced the slightest chaffing from the holster even though it's against my bare skin.

Link Posted: 11/22/2009 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Seems like lots of folks are pleased with teh Supertuck.  I don't really hear complaints, but when I look at the supertuck, it seems like w/o a leather covering on the back, those rivets would dig into your skin and not be very comfortable.

you can' tell the rivets are there. they are actually countersunk a little bit
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been carrying my G30 in my Supertuck w/ horsehide for almost 5 months now, and love it. It's broken in great and very comfortable. I'm new to CC'ing so my exp is limited, but I love the thing. I'm not against the MTAC though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it possible to get metal clips on the mtac I have not had any luck with any kydex clips on any holster
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#21]
This review sold me on the Crossbreed over the MTAC.  I ordered a Supertuck and a belt last night.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice write up OP.

I do like that you can bolt on a different Kydex panel to change pistols with the MTAC.  I just did this going from a BHP to a S&W M&P 9c.  Worked great and saved me over $40.
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CrossBreed took what you are complaining about to heart. They offer what is called a "combat cut" now that takes care of that very problem. They basically take the holster, put the actual gun in it you are going to use, and trim away all the excess material for a unimpeded draw. It's an option when you "build" your holster.

Its been a couple years since I ordered mine. Hadn't heard about the "combat cut" before.

Link Posted: 11/25/2009 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

During winter, I wear a shirt tucked in, and then wear my MTAC, then use a jacket/coat/sweatshirt as cover.  But in summer, I just cover with a t-shirt.

Also, I do like the fact that w/ the MTAC, you can buy extra kydex bodies for different guns.  Just my thoughts, nice review though.

The fasteners are a non-issue. Unless you're going commando, they won't touch your skin. And even if they do, it's still a non-issue - they don't dig into your skin.
I have both a MTAC and SuperTuck. I greatly prefer the SuperTuck for reasons of comfort.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the review. I've actually ordered the Supertuck last week, but this affirms my decision to me.

thanks again

Link Posted: 11/26/2009 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Can you show pic with shirt tucked. I havent found a holster yet that works well
with tucet shirt unless I have jacket and I"m in Florida.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can you show pic with shirt tucked. I havent found a holster yet that works well
with tucet shirt unless I have jacket and I"m in Florida.
Thanks

had the same problem try their neutral cant (appendix Carry) I have ravens ACR it made my glock disapear with a tucked shirt. anyone can make a gun disapear with a loose black shirt but it gets a little tougher in warm weather in a t-shirt when you bend over a lot to pick things up.
Appendix carry sloved all of my problems but I have heard its highly dependant on body type
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Ill take a pic of the supertuck, Im at home for the holiday see if I can find a good shrt to tuck in.  ill have with in the hour NLT 2300
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the looks of the MTAC better, as well as the doubled leather, but what is selling me on the Crossbreed is the clips.  

I carry under a t-shirt and the MTAC looks like it would be much easier on my delicate skin.

Link Posted: 11/26/2009 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#30]
My came out and asked my what I was doing, told her she was like you have a holster on and I told a gun too she didn't be leave me :).
CrossBreed Supertuck

heres a video, not the best draw, Im not use to tucked in shirt with out my left hand to assist pulling up the clothes.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#31]
pics as requested.

Link Posted: 11/30/2009 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a supertuck and use it with an xdm.  It is great after you get the "adjstments" where you like them.  With a T shirt it is not noticable unless you are looking for it, but with a shirt tucked in you will be able to see the clips.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I own 2. One that will retain my XD 45 compact and my XD 9mm subcompact. The other one is for my new carry piece a Kahr PM9. Talk about melting away that Kahr disappears.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Great review - thanks.

I just recieved my MTAC and can't believe how great it is.  I'm carrying my 5" 1911 with just a polo shirt - zero issues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh, THAT.

I thought it was going to be this:

I have a Supertuck. Carry my 1911 in it all the time. Best damn IWB holster out there IMHO.

There's no pink, so it's COC, right??? ––––––––––––––––––––––––> Wrong!
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#36]
My vote is still for the M-Tac. I have zero issues with it and being able to change out the bodies for different carrying scenarios is a huge plus.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#37]
i have a supertuck for a full size HK45  which is a big gun and it hides it pretty darn well  - i have a the black gun belt which hides the clips very well also

i will say that MTAC looks more refined with the double leather, extra stiching, etc.. but those plastic clips dont look like they will hold up

Link Posted: 12/24/2009 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

i have a supertuck for a full size HK45  which is a big gun and it hides it pretty darn well  - i have a the black gun belt which hides the clips very well also

i will say that MTAC looks more refined with the double leather, extra stiching, etc.. but those plastic clips dont look like they will hold up

I've been playing with my MTAC for 10 months now.  No issues.  Take it off every night.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2009 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#39]
The early version of the super tuck also came with plastic clips and the maker replaced them for me with a single email with the metal ones. Gratis
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The early version of the super tuck also came with plastic clips and the maker replaced them for me with a single email with the metal ones. Gratis

There is no comparison between the customer service Crossbreed offers and that which CompTac does not.

I'm not a Crossbreed fanboy by any means; I prefer my CompTac belt to my Crossbreed belt; but when it comes to customer service, Crossbreed comes out on top by far.
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no comparison between the customer service Crossbreed offers and that which CompTac does not.

I'm not a Crossbreed fanboy by any means; I prefer my CompTac belt to my Crossbreed belt; but when it comes to customer service, Crossbreed comes out on top by far.

As owner and user of MTAC and CTAC, I must agree with the above assessment on customer service.  I am going to get a Supertuck for my Glock (even though I have an MTAC and CTAC for it too). When my MTAC is worn out or the kydex finally cracked .... that will be the end of it. Buy a new holster or pay CompTac to fix it. Crossbreed, OTOH, gives lifetime warranty. CompTac only gives 1 yr warranty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I have been using an M-tac for quite some time....I had some Christmas money so I decided to order the SuperTuck.  I am excited for it to get here. If I remember, I will add my .2 cents after I use it for a while.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been wearing my Horsehide Supertuck around the house for 2 weeks waiting for my LTCH to show up and it's getting better and better.

I don't know what guys are talking about with the hardware digging into your side, I can't feel any of it. I'm 6' and 205 (about 10lbs heavier than I want to be right now) so I have the slightest bit of a love handle, and the only issue with it has been when I lean way over to the right to pick something off the floor without getting off the couch. The leather edge is quite stiff, but it will break in for sure.

Obligatory pic.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#44]
*Space saver for MTAC PIC*
Like I said in my first post, I have the ST. Well I recently aquired a G27, and I have a MTAC en route for it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#45]

M-Tac.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#46]
It's funny. I was JUST coming here to ask which of these holsters to get for my Glock 22.

For a long time the only holster I had was one of those $20 nylon versions & now that I've got a bit of cash saved, I'd like a good holster.

I'm really leaning toward the Supertuck, but I'm worried about this "retention" thing.

I put my Springfield 1911 into that cheap plastic holster the factory sends with it & liked to never get it drawn out. I still don't even know how I figure to do it & didn't want to risk it again.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Should I get the horsehide version, the combat cut, etc?

Does the Supertuck work well with dress shirts?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#47]
another thing i would point out is that you can buy spare holster bodies w/ the MTAC.  so i can get a spare kydex part for other guns and change them out.  I don't know if crossbreed offers this feature or not.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a Mtac for my 5" 1911 and have two complaints.

1. The holster is a little too thick. The only spot I can place it is at about 5 o'clock.

2. I hate how the plastic portion of the holster extends all the way down to the end of the slide. On the Supertuck, it stops a few inches short. So instead of having the slim profile of my 1911 slide, I now have this awkward plastic rectangle printing through my pants when I bend over.

Keep in mind im pretty small (5'7" 135 lbs) and should probably get a smaller gun to carry, but I cant afford that now and am trying to make do with what I have. I might try a Supertuck soon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Well I have been looking forward to posting in this thread.

I had been looking for a holster that would actually allow me to conceal a full sized USP without looking like I was carrying building blocks under my shirt.

I thought I would need to go with the c-tac because comp-tac doesn't make the m-tac for the USP.  But I really wanted the leather option for comfort against my skin.

Well I ordered to Supertuck after reading this thread and it arrived today. Though I can't speak yet on how much I like it after carrying with it for months I can say that I can actually conceal it.

Also I got the horsehide for the difference in thickness and because I tend to sweat. I have been wearing it all day and am laying on the couch with it and have had zero comfort issues so far.

Thanks for the write up on this. I am so glad to finally have a holster that is going to work for me
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top