Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2007 5:17:23 PM EDT
Thought I saw a thread about this a few weeks ago but the search function is not working for me right now. Looking for ideas on a concealed carry pistol for my wife. We will be going to the gun show this w/e to let her fondle a few.
Any suggestions on what she should look for while there? She is a pretty avid shooter and has owned so far a Walthar P22 that she really liked but the .22 is just not big enough, a XD sub compact 9mm that she never liked at all. Has shot my G19 and doesn't like it either.

Was thinking of the Bersa 9mm ultra compact, Kahr CW9, or maybe a Sig P232. She doesn't like wheel guns so that is out of the question. No ranges to rent from around here either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to look into the SW908. I have one, it's a pretty nice unit, and my girlfriend likes it. It seems to fit her hands pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
My fiancee loves her Kimber Aegis in 9mm. The single action trigger also gives her less time to screw up the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
"Woman, you toughen up and grin and bear it."
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#4]
"Man, cook your own dinner and sleep on the couch."

But seriously, you might try a baby glock, I think they are more than small enough.  A SA EMP might not be a bad choice either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#5]
SIG P239 9mm
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The other thing to consider is getting her some training. Often times the first gun you pick up is not the ideal one for you since you haven't shot it, or worked with it under a learning environment.

Think about when you started driving... you looked at all those cool rides and wanted one based on just about everything except which was right for how you would use it, how it fit you etc. Same is true with guns. Until you run it (again, preferrably under some good instruction) it's really hit and miss as to which is best. And I totally agree...get a decent caliber... 9mm minimum if at all possible (note also that many 380s are blowback and snap more than a compact 9mm...)

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My fiancee loves her Kimber Aegis in 9mm. The single action trigger also gives her less time to screw up the trigger pull.

This is something I had in mind for her to try. Anyone know of any other 1911 style compact's that are chambered in 9mm? The Aegis and EMP or a little out of my price range.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The only auto my wife has ever liked is a Kimber ultra.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:51:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Of the choices you listed the Kahr CW9 has the highest chance of being liked.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:21:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out www.corneredcat.com

Its a site for women and carrying.  Its run by one of the moderators sover on Thehighroad.org.  I would suggest letting your wife choose the gun even if you dissaprove as this way she is more likely to carry it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W M&P9 Compact
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies. She fondled just about every gun at the show Sat. and found a Kahr that she liked but the dealer wanted too much for it so I ordered the Kahr K9 online.
Will give a range report once it arrives and she shoots it a little.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. She fondled just about every gun at the show Sat. and found a Kahr that she liked but the dealer wanted too much for it so I ordered the Kahr K9 online.
Will give a range report once it arrives and she shoots it a little.

Well... as promised.
As of now she has about 1200rds through the K9 and all have been 100% reliable. She really likes it and enjoys shooting it. In fact she has been going shooting with me just about every w/e and has become a pretty darn good shot with it.

She has applied for her CCW permit and will carry it in a Highnoon Hidden Alley iwb holster.

This is the first Kahr I have shot and I have to admit that it is probably one of the best DA triggers I have felt.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#14]
How does your wife like the recoil on the Kahr?  Is it fairly mild?  I'm desperately trying to find a pistol that my girlfriend will practice with, and she really liked the fit of the K9 in her hands.  One other word keyed me off that she liked it..."cute" I believe is how she put it. :)

I shopped around for our first 9mm with mild recoil in mind knowing that she would be shooting it.  Finally settled on a Beretta PX4.  I thought it was great to shoot.  She, however, still found it a bit much for her, she's just too small.  I don't know whether to shop for another 9 or start looking for another smaller caliber solution. hanks,Andrew
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Andrew, she doesn't mind the recoil at all but then again she shoots my .45acp's and doesn't really complain about that either. I've shot her K9 a few times and would say the felt recoil feels just a tad softer than a G19, if that helps any.

Good luck :)

ETA: It may help to teach your g/f a proper stance and grip. I've seen properly trained small lady's shoot circles around untrained grown men. A proper stance and grip can make a world of difference in felt recoil.
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have a C&R, the CZ82 is chambered in 9x18mm Makarov, which is a bit smaller and lighter than 9mm Parabellum, and should have less recoil than a standard 9mm.  They hold 12+1 rounds, can be carried cocked & locked or with the hammer down in double-action, and have fully ambidextrous controls.

I recently taught my mother to shoot with a .22LR handgun and needed something a bit further up the food chain for her to try next.  My 10mm Glock 20, .45ACP 1911, and .44 Magnum Super Redhawk all seemed to be a bit too large a jump from .22 rimfire so enter the new CZ82.

Yes, it isn't the most powerful caliber in the world, but 12 properly placed 95 grain 9mm FMJs should get the job done if it comes down to that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
S&W M&P9 Compact

+1!

This is what my wife carries and she loves it. Big plus is the adjustable grip to fit her hand better.
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

ETA: It may help to teach your g/f a proper stance and grip. I've seen properly trained small lady's shoot circles around untrained grown men. A proper stance and grip can make a world of difference in felt recoil.

+1

proper form helps a ton when it comes to shooting to max efficiency...anyone can do it, regardless of size (h/w, bigger folks do tend to have less of a hard time, but if they dont have the best form/stance/grip, its for naught)

ETA: even those subcompact khars get a bit tiring and pain felt after several mags...
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you have a C&R, the CZ82 is chambered in 9x18mm Makarov, which is a bit smaller and lighter than 9mm Parabellum, and should have less recoil than a standard 9mm.  They hold 12+1 rounds, can be carried cocked & locked or with the hammer down in double-action, and have fully ambidextrous controls.

I recently taught my mother to shoot with a .22LR handgun and needed something a bit further up the food chain for her to try next.  My 10mm Glock 20, .45ACP 1911, and .44 Magnum Super Redhawk all seemed to be a bit too large a jump from .22 rimfire so enter the new CZ82.

Yes, it isn't the most powerful caliber in the world, but 12 properly placed 95 grain 9mm FMJs should get the job done if it comes down to that.

I had one of those and while it shot well the recoil was much more uncomfortable than I expected. Based on my experience with the CZ82 and Sig P230 I have sworn off anything of blowback operation other than .22. The small locked breach 9mms are much more comfortable to shoot. The Kahrs are excellent (I have 3) as are Glocks of any size. My wife has decided she likes the Kahr P9/CW9 the best because of the light  weight. The recoil doesn't bother her as much as a heavy gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top