Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2017 10:41:55 PM EDT
I remember when these became all the rage starting with Crossbreed, a few years ago I decided it was time to try one out. At the time, Old Faithful Holsters was offering a kit, trim the Kydex yourself and bolt it to the leather and attach the hardware. Being frugal and a DIY'er (all my ARs are built from 80% lowers), I went that route. Holster came out nice, quality metal clips, and thick .093" kydex. It was for my Glock 20sf. Even with a quality, stiff, Boxer Tactical Zenith belt, I was never that impressed with the comfort. I eventually got rid of the G20sf and ended up with a full size Baby Desert Eagle II, all steel version. It fit the G20 holster quite well, but man, with the extra weight of the all steel gun, it really began to be uncomfortable. Not to mention the Kydex was pretty consistent about putting a hole in the ass of my pants.

I recently picked up a new carry gun, Ruger SR40, still a fullsize but thinner and lighter. This time I decided to go back to my roots, the "Bare Asset" from High Noon Holsters, I had bought one in 2010 for my first carry gun (XDsc). They're quality for what you pay (under $30), heavy steel clip and decent leather. Man what a difference in comfort, night and day. I no longer have the urge to disarm when I get home. Not to mention these simple holsters are much, much easier to disarm and rearm in a vehicle when I get to/off work. I had stopped carrying everyday because the hybrid holster was a nightmare to take off and put on for work purposes. And it's not just a change in guns, I can put the Baby Eagle in the "Bare Asset" holster (fits quite well actually) and it carries way better than it ever did in the hybrid.

My Old Faithful Hybrid Holster after I completed it. (I cut all the kydex off below the lower screws not long after this).

The same holster years later as carried until recently.

And my current carry High Noon "Bare Asset".

Anyone else feel this way? Am I the lone weirdo?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a King Tuck for my commander and don't exactly hate it I just don't like it. It creaks like a saddle with every little movement and is a bitch to put on and take off. I rarely carry the commander because of it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, your not alone or weird.
I do like my hybrid however.
I run Garrett industries, silent thunder as my go to, it's a little different than that Uge' holster you have..
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate IWB either way.  I am slim with no ass so it is majorly uncomfortable.  I stick to pancake kydex with speed clips.  Tried a hybrid once and the amount of time it took to get it on and positioned properly instantly turned me off from it.  The kydex speed clip has made my carry option perfect for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a fan of the CompTac CTAC, which is an all kydex shell with leather tabs to hang from.  I tried their MTAC with the leather backing and could not get the gun in and out easily.  My hip presses the leather in and you have to fight it out of the way with the gun to reholster.  I'll stick with all kydex until I find a soft-backed holster that is easy to draw/reholster.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Hybrids is what enables me to actually want to carry IWB. I choose comfort and function over form for this.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks OP, I always wondered who made one of my holsters that came with a pistol I bought, I now know High Noon!  It really is a pretty comfortable holster and fits a wide variety of pistols, just wish the clip was a size smaller width wise.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The only "hybrid ish" holster I like is Blackpoint Tactical's mini wing. All the others were just too big on the hip imho.

Highnoon holsters is a solid company. I'm a huge fan of the sky high with the thumb snap. Really good quality holsters.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I never liked them at all. I just don't like the large foot print.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I dunno what it is, I'm a thin guy, I guess the hybrids are just too much material going on in my pants.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks OP, I always wondered who made one of my holsters that came with a pistol I bought, I now know High Noon!  It really is a pretty comfortable holster and fits a wide variety of pistols, just wish the clip was a size smaller width wise.
View Quote
I think the wide clip is what allows it to be fairly stable for what it it, unless you're talking belt width wise. I can see how it's a bit big if you've got a 1.5" belt.

I know what you mean about fitting a variety of guns, mine fits my SR40, Baby Eagle II, and I just picked up a PPS for summer carry and that thing also fits well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the hybrid but when carrying a pistol and weapon light they are harder to find and harder to draw from.  Full kydex is what I stick with for a pistol and WML.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup I hate them. Either go all kydex or all leather. Mixing them leads to a crappy combo for me. 
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone have a HAWG holster and how do you like it? I would like to get away from my king tuck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#13]
You're definitely not alone OP.  I found hybrids take up way too much real estate and are difficult to don and doff.  I've gone to pretty much all kydex, except for wheel guns, and mostly OWB, though I am starting to warm to the idea of AIWB.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I started adding a single soft loop To my remora holsters. So comfortable and they stay put. Cheap too

Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I never liked them at all. I just don't like the large foot print.
View Quote
This.

Do I think they are bad? Heck no. Best choice for some, just uncomfortable and not a fit for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Hybrids are the most comfortable for me, but they are hard to get on and off and since I can't legally get out of my car armed in the state I work, I have to do the on and off tango in the front seat twice a day. If I'm not at work and I'm not carrying with a light, the hybrid is my first choice. 

Matter of fact, I'm going to wait until I get shipping confirmation on my new to me M9A1, then I'm going to order a leather backed Alien gear for it. Should be in the next couple days. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I've switched from using hybrids to all kydex and really can't tell that much of a difference in comfort, but I can tell a difference in retention and reholsterablity (that even a word?)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Never thought much of them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Honestly, as big and as cumbersome as they may be, the leather conforms to your body where kydex only is just a plastic lump inside your beltline...
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of the CompTac CTAC, which is an all kydex shell with leather tabs to hang from.  I tried their MTAC with the leather backing and could not get the gun in and out easily.  My hip presses the leather in and you have to fight it out of the way with the gun to reholster.  I'll stick with all kydex until I find a soft-backed holster that is easy to draw/reholster.
View Quote
My son uses a CompTac Infidel Ultra Max hybrid for a G22.

I prefer the Infidel Max without the leather backing for my G19.

Seems to be the holster I've been looking for.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#21]
All kydex here. My favorite carry method is appendix unless it's winter time, then it's OWB. 

I'm appendix carrying my P2000 in an IWB kydex that has an adjustable cant. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate them. They take forever to put on and take off. All kydex for me, mostly AIWB these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top