Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2016 1:09:00 AM EDT
Assume you know nothing about the guns history. Assume the gun seems reliable and no odd wear and tear that you can see. I personally have always gone with new guns for carry as I know their history and know that they are safe to shoot, carry, and are generally unmolested. I am thinking about starting to venture out into the used gun market. Interested what percent of carriers here feel safe carrying a used gun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Inspect and shoot, simple as that IMO. If anything looks questionable, replace it.

The only time I've ever given up carrying a used gun was a 1911 with an extractor issue. I tried tuning the extractor, but it was so worn that nothing was going to fix it short of a new one. Sold it under full disclosure, I was just tired of dicking with it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]
New, or used a carry gun needs to be put through its paces with your chosen ammo before I would carry it. Both of my main carry pistols were bought used. I verified they functioned with my carry ammo, and strapped it on my hip.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
My carry pistol I bought used.

It's no different than buying a new gun.  Like he said above disassemble, clean, inspect, lube, reassemble, function test, and shoot.

I wouldn't take either out and try to shoot them without going through that.  New or used, shit happens.

I probably put about half a case through it before I carried it.  Helps to get used to it, and shake out anything sketchy, loose, etc...
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
New or used really doesn't matter if you have actually shot it with your defensive loads.
I sure the hell wouldn't carry any pistol that I have not become thoroughly comfortable with. My life and others may depend on it.
And yes I do carry a used Colt Agent in .38 special on occasion.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
All my guns are used
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You know what they say,  after the first round  it's used,,,,,,,    I was issued a 40 plus year old Colt 1911.  never gave it a second thought .
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't bought a new pistol in about 10 years.  GLOCKs, German made Sigs, Kahrs that I've put through the paces for piece of mind.  That's all I've ever carried.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I feel fine digging a hole with a used shovel.  Guns are tools, nothing more nothing less
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My EDC for the fall, summer, spring seasons is a Glock 23 gen 3 made in 1998, I bought it used about 6 years ago, replaced the recoil spring and night sights. I have never had a malfunction due to the gun with several thousand rounds through it.

I have several other used guns that I wouldn't hesitate to carry. However I will say that I will never carry any gun without shooting at least 500 rounds through it and a few boxes of whichever carry load I choose.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Every gun I own is used . . . even the ones that i bought new.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't get the point of the OP's question.  All guns should be used if you are going to carry it.  OP, are you worried that a used gun was in a house fire or something?  

My everyday carry since 2008 is a used PPS I bought off of Gunbroker.  Bought it, cleaned and inspected it, shot it, carry it every day.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#12]
The way things are going I am more concerned with having a problem with a new one! You have to prove them no matter if they are new or used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All my guns are used
View Quote

Mine too.
I wouldn't carry a gun that had never been used, that would be stupid.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I try to buy used guns almost exclusively unless I cannot find what I want used.  Let the first person take the big hit on price.  Some of my best purchases on guns I have bought used.

Most people who sell guns back to gun stores and they end up on shelves as used the pistol is in near new condition.  I have bought countless guns in LNIB condition but had to be sold as used because the previous owner (appears by wear) went to the range shot a magazine or box of ammo hated the pistol and sold it back or had hard times on cash before they could even shoot it and sell it back.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I buy most of mine used.

People don't shoot and used is usually a better deal
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Guns are not so overly complex that a thorough examination would not reveal if a used gun was unreliable . If it looks good, shoots good, carry it
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I shoot my guns more than 98% of gun owners so I'm pretty sure I'm going to put them through more than the previous owners. Additionally, I primarily shoot Glocks and have replacement parts on hand, so if there was anything broken or worn I could replace it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#18]
How about those guys who go buy a new gun and 50 rds, shoot 25 and call it good? Would that be a solid choice?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I am fine carrying a used gun.  Because before I carry it, it will pass the carry test new guns go through.

Handguns, 300 rounds no maintenance other than applying lube if it has been sitting between range trips.  No malfunctions (If the manufacture recommends a break in period or it is a design with known potential issues ---1911, it gets that then the three hundred.).

Semi auto rifles--same but the round count is 500.

Can't pass the test, I don't trust it and it will go bye bye.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Of the several guns I commonly carry most were bought new but 2 were bought secondhand. The used ones are a Glock 19 and a HK P2000. No worries about either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Regardless of whether you bought it new or bought it from someone else, you are always shooting a used gun.  It is contingent upon you, the shooter, to determine the reliability of the gun and its suitability for carry.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't get the point of the OP's question.  All guns should be used if you are going to carry it.  OP, are you worried that a used gun was in a house fire or something?  . . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get the point of the OP's question.  All guns should be used if you are going to carry it.  OP, are you worried that a used gun was in a house fire or something?  . . .

Some folks are suspicious of anything previously owned. They assume that something must be wrong with it. The fear is that the previous owner dumped it because it didn't operate correctly. They don't appreciate the fact that people sell stuff for all sorts of reasons. Maybe they didn't like it or discovered they didn't use it much. Maybe they found something they liked better. Maybe they needed money.

Gun owners are especially fickle. I have a few customers at my pawnshop who trade guns as often as I wash my blue jeans. There have been several occasions when I bought a gun from a customer and found a receipt for the original purchased dated less than a week earlier than the day I took in the gun.

Buying a previously owned gun is the best way to preserve the money you "invest" in guns. The original purchaser has to take a new/used depreciation hit. Every buyer after that retains pretty much 100 percent of their purchase price in resale value.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Assume you know nothing about the guns history. Assume the gun seems reliable and no odd wear and tear that you can see. I personally have always gone with new guns for carry as I know their history and know that they are safe to shoot, carry, and are generally unmolested. I am thinking about starting to venture out into the used gun market. Interested what percent of carriers here feel safe carrying a used gun.
View Quote

Yes, BUT only after I'd put enough carry rounds through the gun in question to become confident in it's reliability.

ETA chibajoe nailed it.  I bought a Wilson Combat 1911 new, but despite the name brand, I wouldn't have felt comfortable carrying it without putting a bunch of rounds through it first to break it in and get comfortable with its reliability.  My $0.02.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#24]
75% of my guns are bought used.  At least half of my carry rotation were bought used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#25]
If people here have issues with a used gun, they need to GTFO this forum ASAP
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
If you can take it to the range, run 500rounds thought it without any issues.....it's GTG.    I've seen lots of new guns that have issues right out of the box.  Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's going to be as, more, or less reliable than a used gun.

Test it before you carry it....new or used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I think the OP's question was not so much about carrying a gun that had been fired as carrying a gun that may have been damaged in some way by the previous owner.

As others have said, gun's are actually not that complicated.  Test it for function, then put a few hundred rounds through it.  Make sure your ammo of choice feeds properly and you are good to go.  

I carry a used Glock 19 without any hesitation.  But I put about 250 rounds through it before I ever carried it.  

Also as others have said, don't assume a gun works just because it's new.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I carry one every daY.....
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#30]
My EDC was purchased used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
New, or used a carry gun needs to be put through its paces with your chosen ammo before I would carry it. Both of my main carry pistols were bought used. I verified they functioned with my carry ammo, and strapped it on my hip.
View Quote

This..
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think I have ever bought a new gun of any variety.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:I don't get the point of the OP's question.  All guns should be used if you are going to carry it.  OP, are you worried that a used gun was in a house fire or something?  
View Quote

Not everyone would by a gun from a pawn shop and carry it. I'd trust any gun that I could fire  thousand rounds with no problems and a few boxes of my SD ammo, and showed no sign of problems. I bought a new Remington 1911 and it had some major failure to feed problems. I couldn't go through a full box without a jam. It's been sent back twice. I sold my Remington back to the gun store; now it's someone else problem.

Some people sell a gun because they need cash, some need more space in their safe, some because the gun is unreliable.

[The gun store I sold it back to knew it was unreliable, I didn't pull a fast one on them.]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

All my guns are used

View Quote
I use any gun before I trust it to be my carry gun whether I am the original owner or not. I use it with several types of ammo and in various adverse conditions. I will carry IWB until it is packed full of lint and dust. I make sure I can trust it so I use it. My USP 40 C is extremely dependable. And I bought it used.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't trust a brand new gun either, it also needs to go through reliability proving grounds.
My Remington 1911 full size carry had major reliability issues, and my first cabot southpaw had a tight chamber and would jam enough to be not trustworthy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got no problems carrying a used gun, I have in the past and may again.  Replace the springs, perform a function check, put 200 rounds through it and it's GTG.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#37]
I shoot a good bit, and know that most people around here buy guns and never shoot them so I feel like I would put more wear and tear on it than most people in my area. After a good cleaning and function check, and a couple hundred rounds of ammo with some of them being intended carry ammo, id carry it no issues.

Only reason my 2 main carry guns are new is because I got a great deal on both of them, and didn't see the point in saving just a few dollars used.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I wouldn't carry a new gun.  You shouldn't trust a brand new gun until you have shot it a lot, a least a few hundred rounds so that you have confidence in its reliability and point of impact.

There was another thread about if you had to grab a brand new handgun to use in a self defense situation without testing it what would it be.  I think the consensus was Glock 19 and a ruger revolver like a GP100.  New guns are iffy until tested and broken in some.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Half my guns are used. Inspect, clean, lube, shoot.

Shake it down with some factory brass cased FMJ then try any intended carry loads.

I've had one new pistol require an extensive break-in. Other than some scratches and finish wear I've yet to purchase a problematic used gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Inspect and shoot, simple as that IMO. If anything looks questionable, replace it.
View Quote

This

Some people way over obsess....
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Glock - buy them worn out, take them to Smyrna and drop them off at the Mother ship. They refurb it and you get it back almost new. I've only bought 2 new glocks in my life - a G42 and a Gen3 G19 - they are safe queens. I carry a used G42, G19 or LCP now.
If you put enough rounds through a gun with no malfunctions, then it's good to go.

Only exception would be glock .40S&W GEN2's...I've had 2 of them with cracked frames - both G23's. Small cracks and the tech said they would be ok to shoot, but I never could feel confident with them. They are collecting safe dust now. Never had a problem with GEN3's - no experience with GEN4's. Buy them cheap and stack them deep.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

'bout sums it up here...

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#43]
If I knew and trusted the previous owner to have sold me something that did not have an intermittent problem that they could never find a solution for, I would carry the gun. I don't know  where to find used guns I would trust at a significant discount in the first place. As far a range shooter, no big deal. Used wood be OK.

Where do you get police trade ins? I want a Glock 21or 22 at a smoking price.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The only time I've ever given up carrying a used gun was a 1911 with an extractor issue. I tried tuning the extractor, but it was so worn that nothing was going to fix it short of a new one. Sold it under full disclosure, I was just tired of dicking with it.

View Quote

You do realize an extractor is like $30 don't you?

Mine's just slightly used.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/12721551_10208842648685856_1487009107_n_zps6bhzriw3.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/12721551_10208842648685856_1487009107_n_zps6bhzriw3.jpg
Some people just want any excuse to get rid of something. I went with the Wilson Bulletproof extractor, and it hasn't stopped going bang yet on my Loaded ever since...huh, must have missed the internet memo that it was suppose to suck.

::shrugs::
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#46]
As others have said inspect and shoot. If you know how the gun should be inside and out (I know glocks very well) you'll be able to see any issues. If you don't know the gun, I probably wouldn't. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Every Glock I own except my G27 was bought either used or as a rebuilt one from the factory. My G22 I carry on duty was carried by my father on duty before he gave it to me. It has well over 15K round through it and with some basic maintenance it is still incredibly reliable.

Inspect a gun and shoot it, if it works for you why worry. My guns are all tools, they get treated as such!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Whether bought NIB or used any gun I'm going to carry is first going to have a couple hundreds of practice fmj ammo run through it then another couple hundred cheap hp's and finally several boxes of my carry ammo, and run it all functioning 100% or its not going to be carried.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I have carried used guns off and on for many years with no qualms about it.

However, I will not carry an unreliable gun or even own one. That is why I don't own any Colt 1911s.  Even though I built them the way I wanted and got them running right, the path it took led me to always worry about trusting my life to one.  

Any gun I carry has to have had many rounds down range before I trust it.  Same with the mags.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#50]
My main carry gun, a G26, was received in a trade and was used.  I detail stripped it and cleaned it thoroughly and put a few hundred rounds through it along with the carry ammo I use.  No issues and I trust it completely.  I've probably put around 1k rounds through it so far and it has not had a single malfunction.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top