Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2016 12:43:46 PM EDT
I know, I should just try it and not overthink it.  But I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks about it.  To me, it seems like it'd be harder to conceal.  But I've yet to try it.  And that might depend on how tight the holster keeps the gun to your body.  I have this kramer OWB thumbsnap leather holster for a 1911 and the grip always hung off my body a good bit.  And seemed to just make it stick out further than feasible for concealing.  

I'm thinking about trying my G26 OWB for a few different reasons.  I've gained a few pounds and my pants are getting tight and I need new ones.   LOL.  I also was having some tailbone issues.  I sit on some hard chairs at church when teaching and the gun seemed to maybe make it a bit worse.  Despite that I've gained a few pounds, I'm still pretty skinny.

I know I'd probably have to have better cover garments then when I IWB.  But maybe not with the right holster.  I don't know.  I guess it woluld at least have to be long enough.  But the G26 has a pretty short slide, so.....
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A good OWB holster will conceal very nearly as well as an IWB. A Raven Phantom or X-Concealment C Series style holster rides high and tight and conceals great.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The advantage of OWB is twofold.  It's more comfortable AND allows quicker access to weapon.
Down side is.....you shout "I've got a gun".....to everyone, friend and foe alike.  

I spend time on horses.  OWB around the ranch is normal and allows shots at hogs and coyotes as well as being WAY more comfortable.

In town it's IWB cause I don't like drawing attention to myself and it's too hot here 10.....or 11 months out of the year to wear a jacket.

Holsters and style of dress are "tools" or costumes in the day to day events of life.  One size or one costume does not fit all.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry my G26 OWB and IWB. OWB in a Raven Concealment Phantom and IWB in a Foxx hybrid. IWB just hides better on me, I can sport just a t-shirt and hide the 26 with a flat baseplate on the mag no problem. I'm also one of those strange people that finds IWB to just be more comfortable in general. Perhaps it's psychological, perhaps not, I find IWB to be more comfortable.

To answer your question directly though, I can hide the 26 just fine under an untucked button up shirt (reference, camp shirt) OWB with no problem, I only get some print if I sit, bend or crouch, though I've never exposed the bottom of the holster once under a camp shirt. As for t-shirts? No go, prints like crazy.

Personally, I carry my G42 most of the time, I can conceal it OWB, IWB, or any other way without printing in fitted attire any time of the year. Slim guns are great OWB, chunky double stacks almost need IWB unless you're one of those triangle shaped dudes in good shape where your shoulders are more broad than your waist line, alas I am a pear and I don't have that benefit....
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
More comfortable, better access, and allows me to carry a larger firearm that I could comfortably do so while IWB.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Concealed means obscured from view.  

It does not mean completely undetectable.

If it were illegal to carry I would want undetectable.  It's not.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Concealed means obscured from view.  

It does not mean completely undetectable.

If it were illegal to carry I would want undetectable.  It's not.

View Quote

This
I carry my G22 under a tshirt all the time. Unless someone knows what to look for they never notice. Been using this for about 15 years or so now. Not even close to wearing it out. Spend the money on a good quality holster and it will save you cash in the end.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have carried OWB for over 20 years now every single day. I can't stress this enough, a good belt is as important as a good holster. I have several custom pancake type holsters but my EDC rig is a Bianchi Carry Loc and I highly recommend them. Cover garments is nothing more than an unturned button down the front shirt. Lots of folks don't tuck their shirts in, it doesn't scream gun at all. 99% are walking around in condition white all day and night. I still carry open and few have ever even noticed my gun, and those that do are usually carrying themselves. I just don't find IWB comfortable for me and my lifestyle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]

I carry OWB in a Raven and have no problems with concealment.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
FPNI

They conceal just as well as IWB as long as you buy quality holsters and belts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear button up shirts untucked with a OWB High Noon Slide Guard holster at 3:30 o,clock and a CZ P-01.
I'm a sort of big guy (6' 285 lbs) and you cant really tell I'm carrying a pistol.

I just bought another IWB holster to try but haven't received it yet.I have tried a few in the past and so far they all suck.

The one I bought is a custom Kydex holster from High Noon,they had a sale so I figured I'd give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IWB carry SUCKS!!!
View Quote

Well then, I've been sucking for 2 years now.  Or so.  What makes you say that?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
If I carry a full size revolver, I carry owb. A dickies button up shirt untucked completely conceals it. It's a really comfortable way to carry. Have to watch out for the wind blowing up your shirt though. I usually only carry this way if I'm not too worried about someone seeing it, like if I go to a sporting goods store or something, although it is completely concealed.

I usually carry my glock iwb in a galco king tuk. That's very comfortable but I would like to get an owb holster for it with my tlr1 mounted. I think it would be too bulky for my tastes iwb with the flashlight mounted.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Comfort.

Not against the law to print here.

Dumbass sees you printing and looks elsewhere.

Took me awhile to get over printing but I just don't care anymore.

No one ever asks if that is a gun and I don't know if they even see it or not.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A good OWB holster will conceal very nearly as well as an IWB. A Raven Phantom or X-Concealment C Series style holster rides high and tight and conceals great.

View Quote

Although I carry IWB as a rule now I have carried OWB and I completely agree with this.  Kydex holsters are pretty "tight" against your body and with the right untucked shirt no one will see!

A "plus" for OWB?  You keep buying your normal size pants.  No need for extra big in the waist!

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Comfort, ease of taking the holster on and off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry Owb 99% of the time. Patterned shirt untucked. If I have to tuck and I'm not going anywhere crazy, g42 or lcp in the pocket and occasionally Tuckable iwb. I hate iwb. Uncomfortable for me. Invest more in belts and holsters than you think you need to. The more you pay for a belt or holster, the better they tend to be. Kydex levelled the playing field a bit for holsters though. I carry g19, g42 or lcp. I don't have a owb or iwb holster for the lcp - only pocket holsters.
Getting to a tucked IWB firearm is slower for me than to simply lift my shirt and draw.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]
What most here have said. OWB is more comfortable, hides nearly as well with a good holster, and printing is not illegal where I live. I usually don't care if I print. If I'm worried about it, I carry my Shield IWB or a P32.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's actually much easier to remove my Shield's kydex IWB holster than any of my OWB holsters. The IWB has a single clip while my OWB holsters all have loops that require partial belt removal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:54:54 AM EDT
[#21]
IWB makes my sciatica act up.

I usually pocket carry, but when I holster up its a pancake that holds it close to my body.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:58:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Although I carry IWB as a rule now I have carried OWB and I completely agree with this.  Kydex holsters are pretty "tight" against your body and with the right untucked shirt no one will see!

A "plus" for OWB?  You keep buying your normal size pants.  No need for extra big in the waist!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With most of the weapon and a good portion of the holster above the belt you're less likely to expose the weapon inadvertently. I carry both ways depending on situation, but OWB is much more comfortable for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's my rig from Tucker Gunleather.  All my other carry guns are single-stack (1911, 1076, or XDs), so out of habit I ordered the double mag pouch for the off-side.  The P320 holds 12+1 so the extra 24 seemed excessive.  I have since ordered and received a single mag pouch to give me more options.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Way more comfortable than IWB carry. Pics taken in bathroom at work today.

Concealed from front.

Under shirt view.

Side view concealed.

Under shirt view.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Concealed from front.
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/IMG_20160416_150156_zps2gfgnfu9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/IMG_20160416_150156_zps2gfgnfu9.jpg</a>

Under shirt view.
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/owbf_zpse9ucl7k0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/owbf_zpse9ucl7k0.jpg</a>

Side view concealed.
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/owbccwf_zpsuojth0eg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/owbccwf_zpsuojth0eg.jpg</a>

Under shirt view.
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/owbccw_zpskm0warmz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/owbccw_zpskm0warmz.jpg</a>
View Quote

What do you do for work? That front view looks more "covered" than what I'd really consider "concealed" when it comes to a work environment.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Get one of these and see if you like OWB.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002V3E0A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B015ZPIE7K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BSPWDQ4YHTARE80AC6B
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002V3E0A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B015ZPIE7K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BSPWDQ4YHTARE80AC6B
View Quote

You've got to be fucking kidding.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#28]

I'm wearing that same belt.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What do you do for work? That front view looks more "covered" than what I'd really consider "concealed" when it comes to a work environment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concealed from front.
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/IMG_20160416_150156_zps2gfgnfu9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/IMG_20160416_150156_zps2gfgnfu9.jpg</a>

Under shirt view.
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/owbf_zpse9ucl7k0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/owbf_zpse9ucl7k0.jpg</a>

Side view concealed.
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/owbccwf_zpsuojth0eg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/owbccwf_zpsuojth0eg.jpg</a>

Under shirt view.
<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/jdslims/media/owbccw_zpskm0warmz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/jdslims/owbccw_zpskm0warmz.jpg</a>

People are oblivious. I'm the manager at a pet food store.

ETA: found out a long time customer is a member here, he was shocked to find out I'm an Arfcommer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IWB carry SUCKS!!!

Because I need a tight belt to keep the gun in my hip pocket and that puts strain on my back. With OWB I can let the belt sit on my hips. Much better.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#31]
A good belt and holster and no one will notice.  Wear a good loose fitting shirt in dark color with a pattern on it.  

A Raven Phantom with a good gun belt is fast, secure, and concealed.  

Don't buy a cheap holster and belt.  I see this ALL the time and it is a big mistake if you intend to carry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's actually much easier to remove my Shield's kydex IWB holster than any of my OWB holsters. The IWB has a single clip while my OWB holsters all have loops that require partial belt removal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been carrying using a Fobus for years. Obviously, I don't care about concealing the gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've been carrying using a Fobus for years. Obviously, I don't care about concealing the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. I have one for the G26, but the thing doesn't like to come out, once it's in.  I've been thinking I should figure out where to sand it down to allow it to come out.  Did you have to do that?  But yeah, it's not really a good concealment holster.  The guy I bought it from gave it with the gun, obviously because it had very little value.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#35]
To remove it from the belt and trousers, I rotate it forward which will release its hold. No need to sand.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

When I first got my Glock 19 I didn't have any holsters for it for about a month and this holster came it. For being very cheap and even cheaper looking it was surprisingly very good. It kept the gun very close to my body and made concealment easy. When I got my 17 I used the same holster for a month before I got a dedicated holster.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I would love to be able to carry OWB sometimes, like when its hot and humid as hell in the summer and I don't feel like cramming a Glock down the front of my pants. But ive never been able to conceal a decent sized handgun on the hip, it just doesn't suit my body type. For a "thicker framed" dude I have a narrow waist so anything carried on my beltline at ~3 oclock stand outs noticeably.

Luckily for me appendix carry works and conceals well for me personally, and isn't too uncomfortable with a G19 + spare mag.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
IWB carry SUCKS!!!
View Quote

This!  I've carried OWB for years.  Usually a Colt Commander, Defender, or a Glock 19 in their respective DM Bullard holsters.  The Bodyguard holster keeps them high and tight.  No issues and comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I recommended you to buy a raven when you first got the glock. I stand by that and if you want to switch later on you can put soft loops and use it iwb.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I recommended you to buy a raven when you first got the glock. I stand by that and if you want to switch later on you can put soft loops and use it iwb.
View Quote

Can't argue with that logic. Buy once, cry once and all that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I would love to be able to carry OWB sometimes, like when its hot and humid as hell in the summer and I don't feel like cramming a Glock down the front of my pants. But ive never been able to conceal a decent sized handgun on the hip, it just doesn't suit my body type. For a "thicker framed" dude I have a narrow waist so anything carried on my beltline at ~3 oclock stand outs noticeably.

Luckily for me appendix carry works and conceals well for me personally, and isn't too uncomfortable with a G19 + spare mag.
View Quote

I have a fantastic AOWB holster that I carry my HK P2000SK with an extended mag in.

Apendix OWB is actually hugely underrated.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have a fantastic AOWB holster that I carry my HK P2000SK with an extended mag in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appendix OWB as in outside the waistband? Never heard of it, but how does it not look like a huge lump under your shirt since the pants don't help to keep it tight to the body?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Appendix OWB as in outside the waistband? Never heard of it, but how does it not look like a huge lump under your shirt since the pants don't help to keep it tight to the body?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, outside the waistband.

If you point your index finger with your thumb up like you're pointing a gun and flip it upside down, that's the position the gun is carried in.

The grip of the gun points straight down, which creates zero printing. The shirt just hangs over it with no corner of the grip protruding at all. The entire length of the slide is pulled in to your belt which keeps the bulk of the gun snug to your body. When I carry this way, my shirt is untucked (no OC in FL) and I put my belt on so the buckle is at 10-11 o'clock. This allows the holster to be slid to the side for sitting in a car.

I only have one holster for AOWB so it's only used when I carry my P2000SK.....but it's a great way to carry IMO. Super easy/fast to access the gun, the one part of the gun that typically prints is flush to the body and points straight down so no printing at all.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#44]
M4 what holster do you use for this?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

I forget the brand at the moment but I'll check when I get home tonight.

My only gripe is that it's leather and not kydex....but it works great all the same.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I switch between a Nate2Tactical IWB and a High Noon Holsters Slide Guard OWB for my XDs, depending on which pair of pants I am wearing. Some have the extra room for the IWB, some don't. I use a belt from The Beltman. I am 5'7", 195lbs, with a slight roll at the waist. I work out/do PT fairly regularly. (I pass the Army body fat tape test with 16.50 inch neck, and 35.50 inch waist, measured at the belly button, if that tells you anything) I have never had an issue with printing when wearing only a t-shirt as my upper garment (with either holster), so long as a) the t-shirt is XL, b) it is not super-thin material, and c) it is fairly dark in color.

The main deciding factor is comfort. If I am trying to squeeze the IWB into a pair of pants that will not accommodate the extra width, then my pants are going to be tight, I am going to be uncomfortable, and I am not going to enjoy my day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:40:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My only gripe is that it's leather and not kydex....but it works great all the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be interested in some pics if you could get some, of how this holster is setup. So the slide runs parallel to your beltline and the grips hangs straight down if im understanding this correctly? Hard to visualize.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The company is called "Andrews Leather".

The holster is called the "Carjacker Cross Draw".

I'm using an iPad otherwise I'd try to post a photo.. The photos don't actually place the grip pointing straight down, but slightly canted.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm using an iPad otherwise I'd try to post a photo.. The photos don't actually place the grip pointing straight down, but slightly canted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's...odd. How well does it conceal for normal, walking-around-the-mall concealed carry?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
That's...odd. How well does it conceal for normal, walking-around-the-mall concealed carry?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It conceals extremely well. The grip aims downwards so the typical printing portion of the gun isn't a factor. The full length of the pistol is held tightly against your belt.

So long as the shirt you're wearing is long enough, which doesn't need to be unusually long, it conceals great.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top