Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2015 6:52:28 AM EDT
Im really torn on what new cc gun to get. It will replace my lcp which is easy to carry but sucks to shoot. Im not stuck on 380 vs 9mm. Im stuck on the 42 being easier then the shield to carry and ive hears its really soft shooting. If its soft enough i could probably get my recoil sensitive wife to let me replace her taurus milpro 32acp with the 42(cause 380 is better then 32acp). Ive heard the 43 is just snappy and not fun to shoot much like a lcp and the shield is the better shooter of tge two. So... 380 for me that maybe turns into the wifes(then i get a shield later) or do i just get the shield now?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot Glocks for USPSA and 3 gun... as you, I could not shoot my LCP both quickly and accurately at any distance over 10m...  I am able to do that with a my G42 which actually has pretty good sights for a Glock... soft to shoot
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The 42 is great to shoot my wife carries one.  I have a 43 which I don't find snappy at all, but the grip is less meaty than the grip on the shield is.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Walther PPS....
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
42 is  VERY soft shooting

I like my 43 better though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife has a 42 and loves it (the only gun including the ones below that she didn't have a problem with racking the slide)
She had an lcp, sig 238 and a khar p380 and didn't like any
I carry a khar pm9 when my glock 33 or 29 are too big (usually when I have gym shorts on) if my pants have a belt a subcompact glock hides really well under a t-shirt
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Shield in 9mm and the G43.  I've also shot a G42.  

42 is a really soft shooter and has decent sights, though they are Glock sights which I don't like.

43 has a bit more recoil than the Shield, but is smaller and has a better trigger.

I can get a full grip on the Shield with the 8 round magazine.  Shield slide can be hard for small women to rack.

If you're:

Buying for the wife - Glock 42
Buying a primary CC piece for you - Shield
Buying a backup gun or something for deep concealment when you can't carry something G19 size - G43
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Having handled, but not shot, the Shield and G43, I prefer the Shield so far.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The 43 isn't snappy at all. Mine is by far the softest shooting pocket nine I've ever fired.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Kahr PM9 if you want a micro, Shield if you want something bigger.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I hated my shield. Eventually sold it. My EDC is a G19, but I just got a 43 in today and it feels nice. We'll see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I carried a Shield with an apex trigger for a year.  No complaints, although I'd  get one w/out the safety.
Had a g43. It was insanely accurate, but limited in capacity. My daughter carries it, now.

I carry a G26.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
id go with the shield, i have one and the wife shoots it just fine, recoil is better than managable IMO even for her, even with +p ammo, and she is able to sling shot the slide, largest problem i found for the wife is not being able to pull the slide back, i carry it when i cant risk printing or am in a "sensitive"place that may cause issue, i carry it in a vedder holster iwb with a single clip, works great, feels great
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a shield 9 for a while, sold it and got sig 938. Didn't dislike the shield, owned mp 45 and 9c over the years with no complaints.. The sig shoots soft,accurate and easily conceals.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Having shot the G42/43 and Shield I would suggest the Walther PPS.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my Shield, even with the factory trigger. Haven't shot a G42 or G43 yet.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Walther PPS....
View Quote

who has that Morgan Freeman meme?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Get the 42. Your wife will want it and then you can get the 43 for yourself.

Or get the Shield so you can have a heavier and bigger in every dimension gun - with a worse trigger

Or get the PPS so you can have the Shield's "features", plus a gun with a stupid lockout system that I've personally seen fail, and limited holster options

Or get a PM9 if you want a longer reset, limited accessories, and finicky reliability where the manufacture requires you to use the slide release to reliably chamber a round

Or get an XDS if you want a bigger, heavier gun, with a worse trigger, and fudd-tastic grip safety
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like the way the g43 shoots. Not snappy and thinner than shield.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:59:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree with 80% of the guy who said:

"42 is a really soft shooter."  (It really is a super-soft shooting gun.  But ALL Glock sights need to be upgraded!!)

"43 has a bit more recoil than the Shield, but is smaller and has a better trigger."  (The G43 recoil can be tamed with grip tape or a hogue grip, and the trigger on the Shield can be improved drastically with a little $$.)
My problem with the Shield is that it's SO long front to back.  If you and/or your wife HOLD a G42 or G43 then a Shield, you'll see what I mean (unless you have REALLY long fingers).

"If you're:
Buying for the wife [my take:  or you just want a SUPER-EASY to shoot gun, to put all the rounds on target very fast] - Glock 42
Buying a primary CC piece for you - G43
Buying a backup gun or something for deep concealment when you can't carry something G19 size - G43"

The only advantage I see with the Shield is it can be had for cheaper than a G42 or G43 and it IS a sturdy, proven, reliable gun.  My G42 was great, but I don't like that Glock made so many changes without announcing any of them.  So far my G43 has been great too.  Luckily they announced the G42 right before I bought a no-safety Shield (I sold my other one because I hated the safety, and it didn't feel much less bulky/heavy than my G19).  
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:03:31 AM EDT
[#20]
My only beef with the 42 is the trigger - but it's not like you'll fund better with the other competitors.

But, like triggers, "softness" of shooting is relative.

I have no interest in a G43, because it will inevitably be snappier.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I agree with 80% of the guy who said:

"42 is a really soft shooter."  (It really is a super-soft shooting gun.  But ALL Glock sights need to be upgraded!!)

"43 has a bit more recoil than the Shield, but is smaller and has a better trigger."  (The G43 recoil can be tamed with grip tape or a hogue grip, and the trigger on the Shield can be improved drastically with a little $$.)
My problem with the Shield is that it's SO long front to back.  If you and/or your wife HOLD a G42 or G43 then a Shield, you'll see what I mean (unless you have REALLY long fingers).

"If you're:
Buying for the wife [my take:  or you just want a SUPER-EASY to shoot gun, to put all the rounds on target very fast] - Glock 42
Buying a primary CC piece for you - G43
Buying a backup gun or something for deep concealment when you can't carry something G19 size - G43"

The only advantage I see with the Shield is it can be had for cheaper than a G42 or G43 and it IS a sturdy, proven, reliable gun.  My G42 was great, but I don't like that Glock made so many changes without announcing any of them.  So far my G43 has been great too.  Luckily they announced the G42 right before I bought a no-safety Shield (I sold my other one because I hated the safety, and it didn't feel much less bulky/heavy than my G19).  
View Quote

All the mentioned guns will cost me the same via blue label programs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Having handled, but not shot, the Shield and G43, I prefer the Shield so far.
View Quote

Having owned both a G43, a J Frame, and shot multiple times the Shield, I would say go with a J frame over either, especially as a deep concealment/BUG.

If you want the either or between the two, go with the Shield. Better trigger, better sights, has more capacity, price point is far better.

Aim surplus has them at a killer price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife thinks the G42 is great. I prefer larger pieces for EDC though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock 43 (or 42.. if you want to carry .380 with the same capacity in an EVER SO SLIGHTLY smaller gun).
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I love my Shield. Hated my buddies G43.

For a 9mm pocket carry gun, I like my PF9. Little harsh on recoil, but I had no problem ringing plates from 7 to 25 yards.

DNR range has plates set up at a variety of distances, so I either do quick shots on targets, or work on fast target switching at varying distances. I do much better with my Shield, but the PF9 works better for me than the G43. Maybe because I've had it awhile, so I've gotten lots of trigger time on it. Also holds a round more than the G43.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love my Shield, even with the factory trigger. Haven't shot a G42 or G43 yet.
View Quote

This.  Mine is just as accurate for CPOST as full size pistols.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#27]
My dress code (dress shirt tucked in dress slacks) dictates that my only real option is pocket carry.  As such, I find that the G42 is barely small enough to fit my pockets.  The G43 is slightly too big to be able to access it quickly, but will squeeze into the pocket if I need to.  The Shield is simply too big to fit in my pockets.  Thus, I chose the G42.  The smaller pocket pistols, even in 380 ACP, are just too hard to hang on to securely with my big hands.  Plus, I like the longer sight radius and longer barrel of the G42 compared to the other 380 pocket pistols.  When pared with Fiocchi Extrema XTP ammo, testing has shown that it will meet FBI min. penetration of 12" in ballistic gell (denim and bare).  It functions fine in my pistol, so that is what I carry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Gonna get a shield but also try and see if i can trade for a 42. But for 309 shipped no tax the shield is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My dress code (dress shirt tucked in dress slacks) dictates that my only real option is pocket carry.  As such, I find that the G42 is barely small enough to fit my pockets.  The G43 is slightly too big to be able to access it quickly, but will squeeze into the pocket if I need to.  The Shield is simply too big to fit in my pockets.  Thus, I chose the G42.  The smaller pocket pistols, even in 380 ACP, are just too hard to hang on to securely with my big hands.  Plus, I like the longer sight radius and longer barrel of the G42 compared to the other 380 pocket pistols.  When pared with Fiocchi Extrema XTP ammo, testing has shown that it will meet FBI min. penetration of 12" in ballistic gell (denim and bare).  It functions fine in my pistol, so that is what I carry.
View Quote

Ankle and IWB tuckable holster carry remains an option for you, not sure why you're ruling that out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ankle and IWB tuckable holster carry remains an option for you, not sure why you're ruling that out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use ankle carry and a belly band for work and it's difficult to conceal anything larger than a micro .32 or .380 in a pocket holster unless you wear 90s style baggy pleated pants.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I use ankle carry and a belly band for work and it's difficult to conceal anything larger than a micro .32 or .380 in a pocket holster unless you wear 90s style baggy pleated pants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed. If he can pull off a pocket holster, he can more than pull off a tuckable IWB.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a 42 really like it.  However, my wife liked it even more.  Now we have two.  That pretty much says it all.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I shot both before purchasing and for me, I can get a much better grip on the shield. My groups were better with it, and it conceals very easily. It's a 9mm shield and it's been on me EDC for three months with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#34]

I'd go with either two of these
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I finally ordered that shield today. Still gonna try and trade m6 upgraded lcp for a 42 if I can. Think I'm gonna go with alien gear 3.0 iwb. Anybody use them before? Hope I enjoy the shield!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
... Im stuck on the 42 being easier then the shield to carry...
View Quote

How is a 42 easier than the Shield to carry?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.. smaller is easier. The 42 is smaller then the shield.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the Shield is .16 inch longer, .01 fatter, and .47 taller. I don't think those dimensions make a difference in carry. But it may make a difference to someone else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Not arguing one is better....I don't have either.  However, the glock is the lightest of the bunch if that matters to anyone.  The xds being the heaviest, shield in the middle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I prefer the Shield.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#41]
The 42 shoots a .380, while the Shield shoots a 9x19. 9x19>.380. Even here on the Glock forum there are issues with the G43. MAC is reviewing the Walther CCP which he may choose over the 43 because there are many things he does not like.

I've shot the G42, very snappy. The G43 would be even snappier. The Shield is not so snappy and is ergonomically correct. The stock trigger is better than the regular M&P line, plus no plastic sights that can and will break if dropped. Shield carries more rounds then both. Now before someone says aftermarket can cure that, an aftermarket can cure the Shield too, still giving it more rounds so there is that and still the same pro as before meaning more rounds.

Ultimately this will come down to user preference. Choose wisely and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Well i finally got my 9mm shield in last week. Just felt better in my hand the 43. I put the rubber talon grips on it. Its the first time I'm using talon grips but they feel awsome.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Love my shield w/ talon grips!

Tom
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I got the alien gear combo 3.0 tuck iwb and owb holster for it. Seems high quality no doubt but overall the AG iwb has a bigger and wider profile then my comptac. So im still feeling out the iwb. But the owb rides close and high enough it hides under a tee shirt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#46]
OP,
If the shield doesn't work out for you, try the Lc9s.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm nerd enough that I did a quick spreadsheet back in 2012, when I was debating a new compact gun. My compact guns had been G26's and an LCP, and I was looking for something in between. Much as you're describing, something that actually shoots better than the LCP, but still small. I looked at the Kimber Solo, sig p290, Bersa ultra compact, and several Kahr's. (The G42 numbers were added after the fact; it was introduced after I'd done this.) Results of side-by-side comparisons:

This was in excel, and the numbers in red were my completely subjective breakpoints for various dimensions on the 9mm models. Less than 5.5" in length, less than 1" in width, 4" or less in height, and under 1LB in weight - those were the settings. (My formula apparently wasn't functional throughout the whole thing though; the Kimber Solo's height should have been highlighted in red, but wasn't.) The CM9 and PM9 were the only ones that had all dimensions (and weight) at or below those admittedly-subjective parameters. Looks like it was set up intentionally skewed to favor the Kahr, but it wasn't. I'd never owned a Kahr before looking at these numbers grouped together like this, but based on the numbers I bought a CM9. I liked it so well that a couple months later, I bought another CM9, and when Christmas rolled around that year, I bought one of my sons a CM9 to replace his makarov ccw pistol.

I'd really been leaning toward the Kimber solo initially, but being more than a quarter-inch thicker (and MUCH more expensive at the time) made it much less attractive to me personally as a pocket-pistol option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top