User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2015 12:41:35 AM EDT
Look at all that poo poo build up after only a few months

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I get crumbles from my deodorant that fall down onto the grip like it's snowing blue cheese. Great for an impromptu snack, but definitely requires regular cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
If you pocket carry reloads, better check those real good too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Never a bad thing to do a monthly dusting of the EDC and mags.  Somehow a lot of dust builds up in the bbl too, with a closed bottom holster.
Before I ever load my carry mags I do a plunk test in the bbl too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I do not know what that debris is. Maybe deodorant, dead skin? A quick run over with the tooth brush eliminated 99 percent of it then I went back and re lubricated.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I just pulled apart my 26 that I ankle carry daily...eeewww.  No pics.  I unloaded and dryfired several time before cleaning just to see if there would possibly

be any function issues it was so bad.  Everything worked fine, but it was pretty disgusting actually.

Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never a bad thing to do a monthly dusting of the EDC and mags.  Somehow a lot of dust builds up in the bbl too, with a closed bottom holster.
View Quote

Plunk test?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Plunk test?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plunk test?

Never heard this term. I'm thinking he means placing all your carry rounds in the chamber of your removed barrel to ensure that none of the rounds are so out of spec as to not even chamber. I started doing this after I got a handful of duty .40 rounds that were too big to even chamber. Winchester 4355 if anyone wondered.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never heard this term. I'm thinking he means placing all your carry rounds in the chamber of your removed barrel to ensure that none of the rounds are so out of spec as to not even chamber. I started doing this after I got a handful of duty .40 rounds that were too big to even chamber. Winchester 4355 if anyone wondered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plunk test?

I'm a lot more worried about overpressure from rounds being seated too far into the case from repeated chamberings, but that's still a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm a lot more worried about overpressure from rounds being seated too far into the case from repeated chamberings, but that's still a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plunk test?

I don't have any high speed calipers, but I'll compare my chambered rounds to a new one that's never been chambered just to make sure the OAL isn't obviously shorter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I do a plunk test, which is easiest with the bbl. removed.  Take all new carry ammo and drop them into the chamber.  They should drop in with a nice "plunk".  Far better than chambering from the mag, which when done repeatedly can cause the bullets to be driven deeper in the case.  Drive them in deep enough and you will have
a high pressure situation on firing, if they even feed at all.

A good case for loading your carry gun, and leaving it loaded.  FWIW, a few chamberings should not move the bullet much. Usually  it takes a number of repeated trips into and up the feed ramp.

Your carry ammo can be visually compared to a NIB round, and you will see if the bullet has been driven into the case.   We should be shooting that carry ammo up once a year anyway, just to be safe.

I found out first hand about "premium factory ammo" being out of spec the wrong way.  About 10 years ago I was elk hunting with my fav 30-06 using my stock of Winchester 180 gr black talons.  I had shot about 60 rds at the range and dropped a few elk with that round.  I was loading my rifle at the truck one morning, and a round I had been carrying refused to chamber.  Then I proceeded to check the rest of my ammo in the chamber, 6 out of 12 would not chamber in a Win. M70....threw the crap ammo in the truck, took my 6 and went on to get a decent cow.  That's how I learned the value of chamber testing all carry ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]

That nails it.... they can be bad right out of the box, or after repeated chambering the bullet gets driven in far enough to swell the internal taper and inhibit function.    .40 is already a high pressure round, drive that bullet in far enough and you will have serious problems on firing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Compressed air/air duster works great for blowing the gunk out of your carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#13]
fire a rd...it will be clean again
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
OMG, my father is the worst! The last time I saw his carry piece it looked like the lint trap in my dryer...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I cleaned mine today but only because I had taken it to the range.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#16]

I shoot my carry ammo every two weeks and clean the gun every other time out to shoot.

Use my carry magazines for practice, and practice with what I carry.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I get crumbles from my deodorant that fall down onto the grip like it's snowing blue cheese. Great for an impromptu snack, but definitely requires regular cleaning.
View Quote

Yup! Finds its way down into the back of my G21 too. Tear it down once a month to clean all that gunk out.

I also unload and check out my mags every month. I pocket carry 2 mags and there's always a little lint in them. Nothing like my 1911 mags. The bigger holes on them would allow huge dust bunnies to pile up. It never choked the pistol when I shot them, but it always scared me to find them nonetheless.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry nearly everyday the only way my carry piece gets this bad is if I soak it in lube.  Also I wear nylon shirts no cotton as cotton produces lots of lint.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#19]
i clean my gun.... well.. whens the next Olympics?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
You call that dirty???

You should see pics of my USP 9 that I haven't cleaned since October 2008.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a used Glock from my LGS. When the owner cleaned it before selling it to me, he found a french fry in the grip hole. Just another reason for the Glock grip plug.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#22]
If that keeps your gun from working, you need a new gun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Best way to keep it clean is to shoot it.  One shot and all that junk will be gone
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If that keeps your gun from working, you need a new gun.
View Quote

No kidding....Mine gets broken down and cleaned once a year, whether it needs it or not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine get cleaned up weekly. If a blued gun gets sweat on profusely it gets wipes down that night.

You boys are filthy.

It kills me when people complain that their wonder finish stainless gun rusts after neglected as an EDC for years. Well no shit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I do not know what that debris is. Maybe deodorant, dead skin? A quick run over with the tooth brush eliminated 99 percent of it then I went back and re lubricated.
View Quote

Lint
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You call that dirty???
View Quote

That was my first thought too.  That gun is not dirty, and if it won't function with a little bit of lint in it, I wouldn't own it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#28]
That's what my guns look like after I clean them
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's what my guns look like after I clean them
View Quote

You clean your guns with lint and deodorant crumbles?!?!

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Air gun my piece once a month. Also a good time to dust off my pocket knife and leathermen
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Air gun my piece once a month. Also a good time to dust off my pocket knife and leathermen
View Quote

maybe bi-monthly
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#32]
This is why I run a dry lube on my carry guns. Gun oil just attracts crap.  Honestly the Froglube paste works well if you follow the application instructions.  Most of the polymer striker fired guns like it dry anyway especially Glock.  I suspect M&P is the same.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plunk test?

Thank you.
Sounds like a good idea for a small investment of time.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I clean my edc every two weeks or after firing. It's supposed to save my life, keeping it clean is just good sense.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#35]
How is it that a gun can shoot hundreds of rounds at the range and yet we fear that some pocket lint might jam it up?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Test firing/practice is often overlooked.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just pulled apart my 26 that I ankle carry daily...eeewww.  No pics.  I unloaded and dryfired several time before cleaning just to see if there would possibly

be any function issues it was so bad.  Everything worked fine, but it was pretty disgusting actually.

Thanks for the reminder.
View Quote

Sock lint right? I get that same thing, I run it almost totally dry, so the crap blows right out but yeah it gets nasty.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mine get cleaned up weekly. If a blued gun gets sweat on profusely it gets wipes down that night.

You boys are filthy.

It kills me when people complain that their wonder finish stainless gun rusts after neglected as an EDC for years. Well no shit.
View Quote

Ain't nobody got time fo dat. Glocks FTMFW!
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#39]
My EDC used to get so full of lint that it would fail to cycle properly if I didn't clean it every 6 months.  I can now go much longer though, I changed my laundry procedure.  Carry clothes are now washed in cold/cold, no fabric softener, and line dried (no more use of a dryer).  HUGE difference, lint buildup is near zero now.  Switching from a dryer to line drying (indoor rack) made the biggest difference, but going full cold and eliminating the fabric softener topped it off.

Nice side effect is I'm saving some coin on utility costs and product I never really needed (fabric softener).  Clothes are a little stiff coming off the line, but within a couple minutes of wearing them that works out and they're fine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How is it that a gun can shoot hundreds of rounds at the range and yet we fear that some pocket lint might jam it up?
View Quote

Yup.  OP acts like he narrowly avoided being killed on the streets.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I shoot my carry ammo every two weeks and clean the gun every other time out to shoot.

View Quote

This. Apparently a lot of people don't train with their carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm always amazed at the people who have a "carry gun" like an LCP or 642 they never shoot and a "range gun" like a Glock 34 or 92FS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm always amazed at the people who have a "carry gun" like an LCP or 642 they never shoot and a "range gun" like a Glock 34 or 92FS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I've heard instructors talk about guys showing up to a pistol class with 2-3 different handguns. They'll shoot the Glock on close range, multiple target scenarios (capacity needed), switch to a 1911 when doing longer range portions, etc. That guy probably has a P3AT for his EDC.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I cleaned mine today but only because I had taken it to the range.
View Quote

Yep, I shoot mine often enough and keep it squeaky clean.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#47]

I break mine open every 2-3weeks and blow it out with a computer air bottle. I'll only clean clean every 500 rounds fired, or if it gets in something more serious than lint/fabric

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#48]
I do a superficial cleaning and inspection every 7-10 days (whether the gun is fired or not), and a thorough cleaning and inspection after every live-fire training session.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do all the above accept for carry ammo, I tested my brand to make sure it feeds properly, and I expend the chamber round after 6months because of rechambering repeatedly, but I practice with ball.  I'm a poor bastard and like my 35-38 c/round 45acp

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn you guys are nasty. You know they make clear gel deodorant now.

I'll blow mine out or off with gun scrub about once a month and re-lube. More often if I'm heavily sweated or gotten accidentally soaked by the irrigation system.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top