Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2015 6:11:48 PM EDT
So I really thought the recoil of my M92 was going to be really bad. But I have to say it's not. Shoots really soft.
Why?
Is it the design?
I had a full size Draco before & it was a handful. My full size AK also is really harsh. Bruises me without a rubber pad.
I would have thought short M92 would be really bad in recoil.  It's not ammo either. I have shot 2 kinds of Wolf, Romanian, & Golden Tiger.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have the bell muzzle device installed?  M92/M85 run slightly undergassed without any sort of expansion  chamber muzzle device.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you have the bell muzzle device installed?  M92/M85 run slightly undergassed without any sort of expansion  chamber muzzle device.
View Quote

If my M92 were any more gassed than it is, folks would be in about as much danger from the ejected casings as they are from the bullets.

- OS
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Weight is my guess - the thing is a heavy pig - But I love it!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
M92/M85 run slightly undergassed without any sort of expansion  chamber muzzle device.
View Quote

I know I heard Larry Vickers say this is in a video (or something close), but it's really not true. The AKSU, M92/M85, etc. should all function as normal without ANY muzzle device at all. The booster was meant to aide in cycling during extreme cold and when the weapon became very dirty. With the gas port so close to the muzzle, those conditions would slow it up just enough to induce malfunctions. At least that's what I've gathered from reading old manuals.

Who knows, maybe we're all wrong and they just put it on there to look badass.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
sure they will function without it,  but it DOES boost gas pressure,  possibly enough to be felt.

it does seem like the Yugo and Romy/Polish firearms are more reliable than the 8.5" Krink,  where the gas booster is practically required to function reliably. Gas system/barrel length being substantially longer on the former.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it does seem like the Yugo and Romy/Polish firearms are more reliable than the 8.5" Krink,  where the gas booster is practically required to function reliably. Gas system/barrel length being substantially longer on the former.
View Quote

The booster isn't required at all to function reliably (outside of harsh environments). That's what I was trying to say in my previous post. I run my AKSU, AKMSU, and M92 SBR's almost exclusively without any muzzle device because the giant fireball is a huge crowd pleaser. I haven't done any testing to see when the booster would become necessary, but it sure isn't under 1,000 rounds in a single range session.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
What you say is true in best case scenario.. Unfortunately if you look around there are a few AKSU builds out there that do need the booster to run reliably.. It may be a 90% reliable build otherwise, but there are some that will choke that 10% or less without it. Don't know if the builder used the wrong port size on these, or what. The very short gas system is very sensitive. The extra few inches that Yugo and Romy/Polish "Krink" clones have make all the difference in reliability and temperament.

I don't think I can say much else about it.. That's my only theory as to why OP notices a difference - even an undergassed M92 is still a violent extractor compared to an AR, etc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know anything about a booster...this was without a brake just out of the box....I have since put a CNC Warrior 2 piece on it & that actually reduced the recoil even more it feels like.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top