Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 3:26:42 AM EDT
Hey all, I was wondering what variant is closest to the AKS-74U and can be modified slightly(or greatly, but looking for ease of modification, not extensive measures) that fires 5.45 and can be made to replicate the Russian Spec Ops-type AKS-74U, accept 5.45 AK mags, have AK mount on left side, be able to be modified to be 922C compliant so I can make it into an SBR.

I am getting to be wholly knowledgeable on the Ar platform, but the AK platform  is still new to me, any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Arsenal SLR-104UR.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]

AKS-74U is the best platform for an AKS-74U. I'll post further when not on my phone.

Quoted:
Hey all, I was wondering what variant is closest to the AKS-74U and can be modified slightly(or greatly, but looking for ease of modification, not extensive measures) that fires 5.45 and can be made to replicate the Russian Spec Ops-type AKS-74U, accept 5.45 AK mags, have AK mount on left side, be able to be modified to be 922C compliant so I can make it into an SBR.

I am getting to be wholly knowledgeable on the Ar platform, but the AK platform  is still new to me, any ideas?
View Quote

Now that I'm home...How much money do you want to spend? There are a couple different ways to do it.

You can do what I am doing and buy kits, search for parts, and then pay someone to put it together (or do it yourself). I like this route because it uses mostly original parts and I know what's going in the gun.  In the pic I posted the top one is a Russian '86 Tula kit and the lower one is a Bulgarian kit.  

You will need to get a receiver, barrel (maybe), and other small parts.

Rguns had Tula kits for sale for about $750 up until last year.  Now you'll have to find one for sale somewhere.  All (as far as I know) of the barrels on the '86 Tula kits are cut as they were imported after the barrel ban.  You will have to find an aftermarket barrel and the only person that makes a good chrome lined one is BlueJack. He does runs every once in a while and they sell out quickly.  When I got mine he sold out of V5's in like seven minutes.  The Bulgarian kits have original chrome lined hammer forged barrels.  

As far as receivers most people go with NoDak or 74u LLC.  NoDak is nice because there's no / a short wait. They don't serial number match the trunion anymore though.  (The receiver in the pic is a NoDak with matching S/N).  If you want a receiver as close to the real thing as possible then 74u LLC get's the upper hand. They match the serial numbers, will NFA engrave, match the welds, etc.  The downside is they run about $250 and have a long wait time as they are all made to order.  (I ordered mine for the Tula kit in November 2013 and am still waiting).

I'm not a lawyer but as far as 922(r) goes I've seen different things.  I've seen letters from NFA branch saying that an SBR does not qualify as a sporting weapon and as such does not need to comply with 922(r) and I've seen letters that say that they do. It's kind of a gray area as far as the research I've done.  ETA again... 922(r) is six US made parts from the list. Receiver, FCG (counts as 3) Barrel, gas piston, pistol grip, all count

or

You can buy the new Arsenal offering if you can find one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The closest would be get an AKS-74U kit and have it built.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The closest would be get an AKS-74U kit and have it built.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/PlumRussianAKS-74U002.jpg
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The closest would be get an AKS-74U kit and have it built.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/PlumRussianAKS-74U002.jpg
View Quote

Where can I find one of these said kits?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The EE or gunbroker. Maybe theakforum.net or ak files
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot a full auto krinkov last weekend Im in awe at how awesome it was now I want one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I did the kit thing with a Tula Kit, if I had to do it again I'd get one of these guys near the bottom of the page instead:
K-var SLR-104UR's

This way you can shoot it in the mean time while waiting for the stamp, plus all the 922r is already taken care of (not that it matters with SBR), you just have to engrain your stuff on the receiver and cut the barrel instead of a complete build
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The AKS-74U kits are tough to find today. Gunbroker or K-var usually have these.

The kit in the pic was only $250.00 but that was back in the good old days.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Arsenal SLR-104UR.
View Quote

This³

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone say AKS-74U?  I'll play.

krink1 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow those are beautiful guys, nice work. I'm just sitting here looking at My Pap M92 and feeling pretty good about it. I'm going to add a CNC warrior muzzle brake, a stock from Us Machine Gun, and refinish the hand guards.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a PAP, a real M92....Yugo parts kit with original barrel.

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top