Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/29/2014 3:08:24 PM EDT
On my Draco-C I put a slant brake, but it's so effective that it actually pushes the muzzle down off the target.  To me, this is worse than no break since it goes contrary to how I normally do recoil management.

I'm looking at the Damage industries muzzle brakes and I want some feedback.  Does the version with the upward facing ports overcompensate?  Does anyone have a good brake to recomend?

I feel that the barrel length and cartridge type has a direct effect on what brake is best suited to the rifle/pistol.  For reference, I have an arm brace on the pistol. I also have a Mini Draco which sports the arm brace and has a Noveske KX3.  The KX3 on the Mini has a very neutral recoil, with zero muzzle flip.  It's very easy to shoot follow up shots.  Ultimately, no muzzle flip is my aim.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You've got to remember that the slant comp was intended to counteract muzzle rise and bolt torque on a rifle of standard AKM weight with a standard length AKM barrel.  Shorties had other muzzle devices designed for them because the slant comp was not a good fit on the short carbines.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's what I figured and it is why I want to hear about other people's experience with brakes on these shorter platforms.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
None of my other AKs have exhibited this behavior.  I guess it could be me, but isn't the whole point of the slant brake, that it takes into account the shooters body geometry?  Since it's designed specifically for right hand shooters.  I have a very squared up stance with the brace riding closer to the center of my chest and a thumb forward grip on the fore end.  The fore end is longer than normal and my grip is farther forward than with a standard AKM hand guard.  This grip has worked well for me in a competition setting, but mainly on AR platform rifles.  I rarely feel like I'm depressing the muzzle end of the rifle to counter recoil.  More so, it feels like I am wringing the rifle laterally and that tension keeps muzzle rise to a minimum.  So when this Draco is shot with the slant brake, it feels like a strange dipping motion instead of overcompensation in depressing the muzzle.  My sight picture only goes down.  It very well might be a twisting motion that due to my body geometry gets translated into a dipping motion.

I should try it without any muzzle device for sure.
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top