Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2011 2:38:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: High_Standard_Mfg]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the most expierenced AK guy, but I currently own a fixed stock, a few triangle side folders and a single under folder.......not the biggest under folder fan.  Also not wanting to step out of my lane, but seems to me that a lot of folks seem to like the triangle side folders over the under folders.....they are compact, when stock extended they are rock solid and they are lighter than the fixed stock.
To me the under folders, when extended are not nearly as solid......they are compact but at what cost?

Just say'in

R
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting thought.  From my perspective, the only problem would be that there is no corresponding military rifle.

If the Soviets, Czech, Poles, of Bularians had thought the underfolder was a better platform than a side folder, they probably would have made one.

That being said,  I do like my Bulgarian underfolder.  It might like a little brother.

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahhhh.....

Bularians = Bulgarians

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By High_Standard_Mfg:

very soon we will have a small batch of Yugo M70 fixed stock, milled receiver rifles built on original Zastava kits available for purchase.

Nice.  Gonna need to see some pics of the rifles.

Link Posted: 9/11/2011 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen some pictures of other guys 5.45 AK-74, Lancaster also makes one but with their record

I think it would be cool, but not nearly as marketable as a side folder, still an interesting idea though
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Price range? I love sidefolders and underfolder stocks. Also I'm looking for a 74 asap!! maybe yours could be my second after I get this one!

PICTURES PICTURES please!!!

;)
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I think an underfolder on an AK74 would be a bad idea. The market would be tiny, it wouldn't be modeled after any historical rifle, and they are uncomfortable to shoot with little to no cheek weld.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a ton of 5.45 ammo. I am in the market for an inexpensive underfolder, and a 5.45 would be sweet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I got rid of my underfolder in x39 because it had a horrible cheek weld. All my kalashnikovs have either fixed or polymer sidefolding stocks because in practical use (rabbit hunting or shooting at the range) they have proven themselves better ergonomically for my rifle usage.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Archangel41] [#10]
Side-folder, with military buttstock - either triangular skeleton, or 100-series!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The AK community is made up largely of two groups, you have the traditionalists, and you have the tacital guys, and then there is a small portion that just wants a comfortable practical rifle.  The traditionalist arent going to want the underfolder because they like to have their rifles as close as possible to it original form and since there was never a 5.45 underfolder they probably are going to steer clear of it.  The tacticool guys arent going to want an underfolder, because lets face it underfolder stocks arent tacticool, and they dont make your rifle look like an AR so they will steer clear of them.  The small group of guys who just want a comfortable rifle to shoot probably wont touch them because underfolders arent exactly the lazy boy of gun stocks.  There will be a small market of people who will buy them because they are different, but i would count on the market being small.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I think we can tell who you are from the wording!
Originally Posted By brunnels:
The AK community is made up largely of two groups, you have the traditionalists, and you have the tacital guys, and then there is a small portion that just wants a comfortable practical rifle.  The traditionalist arent going to want the underfolder because they like to have their rifles as close as possible to it original form and since there was never a 5.45 underfolder they probably are going to steer clear of it.  The tacticool guys arent going to want an underfolder, because lets face it underfolder stocks arent tacticool, and they dont make your rifle look like an AR so they will steer clear of them.  The small group of guys who just want a comfortable rifle to shoot probably wont touch them because underfolders arent exactly the lazy boy of gun stocks.  There will be a small market of people who will buy them because they are different, but i would count on the market being small.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Liquidmetal:

Originally Posted By High_Standard_Mfg:

very soon we will have a small batch of Yugo M70 fixed stock, milled receiver rifles built on original Zastava kits available for purchase.

Nice.  Gonna need to see some pics of the rifles.

x2
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I already built mine. Wish you guys would have thought about this a year ago or 2 ago.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]
The traditionalist arent going to want the underfolder because they like to have their rifles as close as possible to it original form and since there was never a 5.45 underfolder they probably are going to steer clear of it.

As a kyber pass model a traditionalist might look at a ak74 underfolder. The thing with that though is the big kyber pass rifle is a akm with the triangle sidefolder. Personally I like tactical but only if it is practical. By that I mean if it is something that i'm paying for it better be something useful. I won't buy a flashlight to put on my rifle unless I need a flashlight. There is no sense making your rifle barrel heavy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Who cares if the rifle isn't milspec?  I never changed out the handguard on my Saiga, because I like it!  I'd be all over a well made 5.45 underfolder if the price was right.  90% of the crap people put on their AR's isn't "milspec" either, but it doesn't keep people from buying it, and enjoying it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
YES, I want a 5.45 underfolder - I like the caliber and I want it in a an AK 74 platform that is as compact as possible (and with a chrome lined barrel).
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Actually thinking of turning my CAI 74 into a under folder. I've always like this option and wished there was availability for the 74's. A production model would be welcomed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have fixed/sidefolders in 5.45 and wanted an UF but I already picked up a kit/bulg barrel and a polish uf assy just need an NDS rec..
an UF in 5.45 might be pleasant to shoot
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I would be very interested in a UF in 5.45
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#21]
No.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#22]
A Kyber pass AKM with triangle folder would sell much better. Henderson Defense used to make them and they command a premium. Heck, I would want one of a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#23]
i want one with a triangle stock cause it looks kool, but i would not be against a 5.45 underfolder.   i shot a fixed stock 5.45 and it was a blast to shoot. still looking for my own.
ive got a norinco uf and im not terribly worried about cheek welds. if you make it im sure they will sell, just might not be in high demand. but every shop or show i go to has a lot of 7.62 underfolders so i would think those are selling or they would not be carrying them.

what i would like to see is the stock modified, maybe the the horseshoe at the end cut and a brace added between the the stock arms, so 40 rounders can clear opening and closing the stock, i know never happen on a production build. but something i thought of doing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#26]
looks great
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
An UF in 5.45 for under $700 would be awesome......
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#28]
A 1200 ak is highway robbery
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By irierider:

A 1200 ak is highway robbery

Tell it to Arsenal/K-Var.

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By firststrike51:

$400 for a WASR is robbery. $1,200 for a rare Yugo Mill is fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Corbic:

but the trajedy is they function the same...
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:

...as in they both shoot bullets by striking them with a firing pin? Most rifles work that way these days.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#34]

...as in they both shoot bullets by striking them with a firing pin? Most rifles work that way these days.

in terms of reliability too
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#35]

in terms of reliability too

But not in terms of out of the box quality, fit and appearance, coating or source of manufacture.

Is a Mil-Spec 1911 (~$550) and a Kimber Tactical Pro II is $1,250; do you criticizes that? They are both 1911s and "function the same".

At the end of the day, if you want a Milled-Receiver Yugo, good luck finding it for less. If you want to convert a factory new Russian Saiga into a Mil-Spec looking rifle, its going to cost you the $650-800 that an Arsenal would.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#36]
reliability is the same though
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Kimbers are ridiculous. What a worthless line of handguns.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lt557:
A Kyber pass AKM with triangle folder would sell much better. Henderson Defense used to make them and they command a premium. Heck, I would want one of a reasonable price.

+1

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By sdrake100:

Uh...no.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By agillig:

Originally Posted By sdrake100:

Uh...no.

My Gold combat stopped working between 11 and 12 K rounds, the hammer sear and disconnecter began to round off and the grip safety stopped doing it's job. They would not fix it because a $1600 pistol only comes with a 1year warante. Some people may think they walk on water but as far as I'm concerned they can keep their MIM junk. YMMV

As for a milled AK machine time isn't cheap, I would rather have a stamped rifle because of weight and economy but the milled guns are more expensive to produce for sure. This is why the Soviets went to the stamped AKM in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By philspel:
I have a ton of 5.45 ammo. I am in the market for an inexpensive underfolder, and a 5.45 would be sweet.

I'm in the same boat. Underfders are cool, but I have a pile of 5.45 ammo and mags and would rather not get into another caliber.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Archangel41:
Side-folder, with military buttstock - either triangular skeleton, or 100-series!!

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By nictra:
I already built mine. Wish you guys would have thought about this a year ago or 2 ago.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/74%20UF/P1010153.jpg

sorry man
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I think it should also have a front sight gas block also. I've always wanted a sbr underfolder krink/draco in 5.45 but i'm fairly cheap too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 10:39:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: enforcer22] [#45]
Heck yes! I have been eyeing those krink kits but have way too many projects already
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice looking milled AK, but too pricey. One of the main advantages of AK type rifles is that they are affordable. If they are $1200, you might as well get an upper echalon AR.  On the other hand, an AK 5.45 underfolder would be great if not overpriced. Triangle stock is better no doubt, but they are also much more expensive. Used underfolder in war, and it held up pretty good....The only thing that ruins the underfolder is when you shoot mines out of it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#47]

This is the funniest and best description I have ever read. Thanks for the good laugh!!

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm just glad this product intro isn't about a 5.45 triangular side-folder-  I'm having a tough enough time saving money for food-  ; )
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't care for underfolders, triangle or 100 would be great though!
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:53:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MOS11C] [#50]
The AK community is made up largely of two groups, you have the traditionalists, and you have the tacital guys, and then there is a small portion that just wants a comfortable practical rifle.  The traditionalist arent going to want the underfolder because they like to have their rifles as close as possible to it original form and since there was never a 5.45 underfolder they probably are going to steer clear of it.  The tacticool guys arent going to want an underfolder, because lets face it underfolder stocks arent tacticool, and they dont make your rifle look like an AR so they will steer clear of them.  The small group of guys who just want a comfortable rifle to shoot probably wont touch them because underfolders arent exactly the lazy boy of gun stocks.  There will be a small market of people who will buy them because they are different an elite and sophisticated group of commandos, but i would count on the market being small.

Yes we will.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top