Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/26/2015 12:13:12 AM EDT
Hey all.

Looking to buy either the Hungarian AK or Yugo. Hungarian is what they call the AMD-63 with the Tapco stock ($499) and the Yugo is the N-Pap with thumb hole stock ($479)

I like solid stocks and I'm not wanting to spend more than about $550 for this one. Just curious on the opinions between these two options. Any issues or is there are an obvious winner?

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#1]
NPAP, no question.

The NPAP is manufactured by Zastava - a real military arsenal - in Serbia and is loosely patterned on the old Yugoslavian M70-series of rifles.  It is built with all new factory parts and comes with a military CHF barrel.  Obviously, some parts are replaced with US-made parts for 922r compliance - typically on an NPAP those would be the slant brake, gas piston, pistol grip, and FCG, but since this comes with poly furniture and a thumb-hole stock, I can't be sure which parts were swapped.

The AMD-63 is built here in the US using de-mil'd parts kits and a U.S.-made barrel. The Tapco stock isn't particularly desirable and was added to make an AMD-63 out of what I assume was an AMD-65 parts-kit. US-made barrels aren't terrible but a factory CHF barrel is superior.

If you plan on replacing the furniture please note that you will need Yugo-specific furniture; standard AKM furniture won't work. It's not that big of a deal, just something to be aware of. In this case it's kind of a moot point since the Hungarian rifle also uses some non-AKM parts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the PAP for all reasons mentioned above.  Find someone selling a standard wood stock or whatever you prefer and ditch the thumbhole, unless of course if you prefer it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yugo ftw.... find a strait stock version and ride on.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That so-called 'AMD63' is junk. First, there never was an 'AMD63'. The Hungarian military rifle that had the foregrip and naked gas tube was the 'AKM63'. Soon, they developed the paratrooper/tanker version called the 'AMD65'. They say it has a 'heavy-wall' FEG receiver, but the FEGs previously imported never had a thicker receiver. FEG has been out of the gun business since around 2001 so I don't know where they are getting more and more receivers. Then you have the crummy USA barrel. I wouldn't give you $200 for one of them.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top