Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2006 6:01:12 PM EDT
Well, here it is.  My first AK.  

Used .223 Saiga rifle       $170
Single hook trigger set     $39
Buttstock and grip           $49
Miscellaneous supplies      $5

35rd capacity .223 AK built on my kitchen counter:  Priceless

As you can see, this was a very economical conversion.  The used Saiga was a super bargain.  It looked like it had less than 50 rds through it.  I generally followed the standard conversion instructions with a few minor changes:

1) My trigger guard is seperate from the mag release.  It is made of brass stock and mounts forward in one of the original Saiga rivet holes.  Note the button-head cap screw in the original rivet hole.  8-32 nuts retain the screws inside the receiver.  

2) I didn't fill in the original trigger pin holes.  It is a Saiga rifle; no amount of Bondo or other fakery will change that.  I left the two holes as-is.

3) I made my bullet guide specifically for the Galil Orlite 35 RD mag.  It works perfectly from all aspects.  It took 3 attempts to make one that functions 100%, but it was worth the time. It was made from 3/4" ID iron water pipe.  The fastener is an 8-32 button head screw turned down to fit a 1/4" counter-sink.  

BTW, the finish is Rust-Oleum High-Temp Grill Paint.  Not recommended.  It seems to have a very poor tolerance towards CLP.  It looks great going on, though.  Just like zinc oxide.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2006 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking feedramp.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, it's amazing what a file and a drill press can accomplish.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
A file and a drill press = Pakastani machine shop. They can make you anything!
Link Posted: 7/14/2006 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats! I am glad you made the Galil mags work. People say they will not work and I keep telling them it is all in the feed ramp. It took me two or three feed ramps to get it done 100% also. I just put some screws in the old trigger holes and have not painted it yet.

Link Posted: 7/14/2006 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]

People say they will not work and I keep telling them it is all in the feed ramp.

"People" are wrong. We are right. Their disbelief means more cheap used Orlites for us!

Link Posted: 7/16/2006 2:02:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

People say they will not work and I keep telling them it is all in the feed ramp.

"People" are wrong. We are right. Their disbelief means more cheap used Orlites for us!

i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/shooter521/misc%20guns/ak101.jpg

Nice set up. So which Ultimak rail fits the Saigas?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Have any of you had to shim the magazine where it engages to magazine catch?  I've noticed mine are pretty loose, though it doesn't seem have any effect on functioning.  It would be nice to eliminate any rocking of the mag in the magwell.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Have any of you had to shim the magazine where it engages to magazine catch?

Nope; the Orlite mags lock in with a good positive "click" and exhibit zero movement. It's like they were made for the gun (of course, the reverse is actually the case)! What I don't understand is how this gun is able to accept 4 radically different types of mags (Galil Orlite, mod. AK-74, Bulgy 5.56 and EG Weiger) equally well... whatever Global Trades did in converting my Saiga, they did it right!

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you using the original Saiga magazine catch?  Mine definitely seem loose.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are you using the original Saiga magazine catch?  Mine definitely seem loose.  

Yes mine is original .
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#12]
oops, figured it out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
What did you figure out Eddie ??? I may be buying Orlites soon. Thanks...Mike
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What did you figure out Eddie ??? I may be buying Orlites soon. Thanks...Mike

A couple of my Orlites seemed really loose.  I just wasn't snapping them in all the way until the mag catch fully engaged them.  

Yes, these things work.  I've fired about 500 rounds now without any problems.  I've also tried the steel 12 RD Galil mags. They function great as well and don't require any mods.   I can give you some help with your feed ramp if you like.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
looks great!  try some HIGH temp flat black engine paint at wal-mart, dupli-coat or something IIRC

Thanks for the tip. I refinished the gun this weekend with Dupli-Color High Heat from Wal-Mart.  Two hours at 300 degrees, and it is good to go.  It makes me wonder if Dura-Bake and other similar gun products are the same stuff.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 2:19:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info on the 12rd steel mags.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top